Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Evo 2014 thread

Gozma

Arcane
I'm so lazy for thread starting but it's Evo

http://www.twitch.tv/team/evo

Also: http://www.twitch.tv/madcatz some top 8s of side tourneys

Also also: http://www.twitch.tv/arkadeum for the Super Turbo "Tournament of Legends" and X-Mania US.

Fridays are pools and 95% of the matches are shitty wipeouts because it's an open tournament! Tournament of Legends is probably the most watchable thing today (at least if you don't care about Smash and I do not).

Edit - fixed a link after like 7 attempts, so proud

Last edited:

Gozma

Arcane
Geez, thought there were a fair few fighting game people on the Codex. How could they resist such a sparkling OP.

What I watched of the top ~200 whatever of SF4 (leaving the top 8 for sunday, 4 winners bracket/4 losers bracket) ended up being pretty good. Daigo got knocked out by two Americans (Fchamp - the guy that won Marvel year before last - and John Fuckin' Choi, a wizened greybeard Street Fighter 2 onward OG). And neither was on fucking stream

SF4 top 8 for Sunday is a SoCal Zangief in winners, a Japanese Fei Long (Evo champ of 2012), a Singaporean Fei Long, and a Japanese Sagat (Bonchan). Losers I forget but Ricky Ortiz is in there. Justin Wong, Infiltration, Sako, Haitani, and Tokido are all out with Daigo.

Saturday is Marvel day and that game is a spent husk at this point, much less Marvel pool play

Also they are running fucking Mountain Dew ads with some MOBA announcer people hawking the shit, EVO is fucking done

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I really want to watch evo, but I'm so busy this weekend.

Hopefully I can catch some grand finals on Sunday.

7h30n

Augur
I'm more of an airdasher fan and there's only BlazBlue in here. So there's that ... :(

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Best of yesterday:

Daigo vs John Choi

Xian vs SnakeEyezz

http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo1/c/4645703

TOP 8 matches
Winners bracket
RG|Snake Eyez (Zangief) vs. RZR|Fuudo (Fei Long)
RZR|Gackt (Fei Long) vs. Bonchan (Sagat)

Losers bracket
MD|Luffy (Rose) vs. EG|Momochi (Ken)
EG|Ricky Ortiz (Rufus, Rolento) vs Sakonoko (Ibuki E Ryu)

Fart Master

Savant
Ultrachen commentating SF4 according to capcoms mandates (explaining everything like the audience is a bunch of retarded toddlers who have never seen a fighting game) is killing watching Street Fighter for me. Fucking capcom monopoly on SF4 tournament streams is the worst thing ever from a viewers perspective. Dont even get me started on the Mt. Dew ads featuring DJShitWheat. "Good Luck Have Fun"

No Great Name

Arcane
I used to be into the Smash Bros. Melee competitive scene quite a few years ago and this is the first time after all those years that I look into it again.

I don't know enough about the other fighting games to be able to appreciate it at as a casual observer.

BaconAndEggs

Augur
SF4 was pretty nuts, although today's been pretty boring overall. Hoping Marvel spices things up a bit.

nimateb

Augur
I never played competitively but I can appreciate the mind games of the bouts, very similar to boxing in many ways.

No Great Name

Arcane
I can appreciate the mind games being played in other fighters, but it's not same kind of appreciation when you know all the different move sets, hitboxes, techniques, etc. that allows you to fully understand exactly what is being done in a game. It's similar to boxing but at the same time, it's more obscure and difficult to see the underlying mechanics of fighting games from an outsider's perspective, while boxing doesn't have that sort of problem.

Only watched a bit tonight, the most interesting matches were SF2, oddly enough.

I'll always root for Luffy in tournaments because Rose is my character. And it gets so boring watching legions of Akuma players doing the same old stuff.

MvC3 was pretty shitty viewing overall. The matches themselves were interesting enough, but the commentators managed to drag the rest of it down. Terrible commentary followed by terrible woman commentator :(

Gozma

Arcane
I can appreciate the mind games being played in other fighters, but it's not same kind of appreciation when you know all the different move sets, hitboxes, techniques, etc. that allows you to fully understand exactly what is being done in a game. It's similar to boxing but at the same time, it's more obscure and difficult to see the underlying mechanics of fighting games from an outsider's perspective, while boxing doesn't have that sort of problem.

Depends. Everyone can get spacing stuff (e.g. watch that Choi vs. Daigo match, it's almost all fireballs, poking, and anti-airs). Other times the whole match is about invisible minutiae like option selects. I do think fighting games as spectator sport for non-players mostly doesn't work.

Also I was wrong, Sako is just in losers and not out. Louffy (Rose player from France), Momochi (Ken player), Ricky Ortiz, and Sako in losers top 8.

7h30n

Augur
BlazBlue finals gogo!

And the announcer is already going on my nerves...

7h30n

Augur
What an amazing grand finals! What a comeback! I hope World Cup finals will at least be half as good as this.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
The fucking Wong factor in

Winner's finals.

justin-phoenix-evo2k1v3c2j.gif

Last edited:

Fart Master

Savant
No one deserves more respect than J Wong as far as marvel 3 goes. Playing 3 characters nobody else plays, 3 characters that dont rely on 1 touch kills/obstacles courses/unblockable gimmicks instead just relying on pure fundamentals and just being 2 steps above anyone else in raw skill.

What a player.

DakaSha

Arcane
SHITS FINALLY STARTING FAGGOTS

edit: omfg this music

edit again: Either snake eyes for nigger factor, or Ricky for faggot factor, better win

These Zangief vs Fei Long matches are intense.

No fireballs, no silly gimmicks... just a patient battle of attrition.

I would really like Rose to take it, even though I know it won't happen.

She'll forever be my main and waifu in SF4. Ultra 2 is so much fun. Satisfying uppercut. Those pokes! And there's nothing like absorbing everything a fireball spammer throws at you, letting them kill themself by fueling your super meter for you. I could never go back.

Was always bitter that they nerfed her instant Ultra 2 and meter gain. Haven't kept up with Ultra, though, so I'm not sure how she is these days. I was surprised that they commented that Sagat was weakened again, I didn't think he was ridiculous enough to warrant that.

DakaSha

Arcane
Rose was buffed according to the commentators

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom