Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Evil Genius - Dungeon Keeper meets 60s Bond Movie

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Mmmmmm, I just learned about this game today from the weekly newsletter I receive from Sierra and suffice to say, this game intrigues me! It intrigues me... a lot!

I'm sure Spazmo will have as much anticipation about this game when he finds out about it too, being a big fan of both Freedom Force (a 60s inspired game), and No One Lives Forever (also a 60s inspired game). The basic premise is that you are an evil genius (akin to Dr. No) who lives on a highly defended secret island fortress armed with an army of evil henchmen (in evil henchman jumpsuit fashion, to boot) and a variety of evil "No, I want you to die, Mr Bond." style traps.

It's certainly very refreshing to see a game like this being made in a market oversaturated with generic fantasy clones (of all varieties) and genetic uninspired World War 2 first person shooters.

I've always been a big fan of the Dungeon Keeper series and was very sad when DK3 was scrapped with the demise of Bullfrog, and 60s spy thrillers have always been appealing to my taste, so this comes as a nice, pleasant game to look forward to, should it be anywhere as good as the Dungeon Keeper games.

Check it out: http://www.howevilareyou.com/

It's nice to see a few good games coming out this year, unlike the last...

Greenskin13

Erudite
I once played a card game called "Before I kill you, Mr. Bond" where you play an evil genius and you build a secret stronghold and taunt spies you've captured trying to break in.

Anyway, I've got this game in my eye now. I've always been a fan of DK.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Fo' sheezy. This game is going to rock the hizzle.

The game is heavily influenced by the classic strategy game Dungeon Keeper, which isn't too surprising since the development team includes members who worked at the legendary British game studio Bullfrog. And Elixir's Demis Hassabis also cites X-Com as another influence on the game.

Sweet!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Some of the diabolical traps you can construct can be particularly hilarious to watch in action. For instance, an unsuspecting secret agent trying to infiltrate your base can get tossed around like a baseball before being captured. And once captured, you can torture the secret agent using virtually any piece of equipment in your base. But once again, there's a silly, comedic aspect to the torture.

Oooh! Ooh! Can I make a man pyramid?!

Nightjed

Liturgist
Woa! i loved dungeon keeper, ill keep an eye on this one, easily the best thing ive heard about e3, aaaaah remainds me of the best simpsons ep ever, i wonder if well be able to hire Homer :D

Nightjed

Liturgist
hmm just watched the trailer, will you be able to scheem, steal technologies, blackmail countries with big bombs, develop deadly yet weird weapons for the blackmailing plans, destroy world symbols/countries, take over enemy bases, compete/coperate with some other world's evil minds, create monsters or geneticaly/chemicaly enhanced solders (including mini-mes and kamikaze monkeys), hire strange mercenaries to take care of your "Bond of the day", kill world leaders, replace them with clones, brainwash batman and turn him into a queer eye for the straight guy client, develop the always menacing Get Smart's "Cloth Disolving Bomb tm", etc ?
the trailer only shows "defense traps", i know "defense traps" are dungeon keeperish but i'd like some xcom/ufo style living world with goverments, companies, factions, freedom fighters, soldiers of fortune, international men of mistery, etc.

edit: ah just noticed "Undertake numerous missions to increase your power and notoriety, including stealing the Eiffel Tower, kidnapping pop stars, and procuring priceless treasures and art." i hope they are varied

voodoo1man

Liturgist
I hope you can zoom out more than they show in the trailer. I've been looking for the next Dominus for a while now (Dungeon Keeper didn't even come close). I think it's a good idea not to be too optimistic though. The game after all is being published by Vivendi.

Nightjed

Liturgist
voodoo1man said:
I hope you can zoom out more than they show in the trailer. I've been looking for the next Dominus for a while now (Dungeon Keeper didn't even come close). I think it's a good idea not to be too optimistic though. The game after all is being published by Vivendi.
i found a really nice 16min gameplay video in fileplanet (it didnt make me wait, lucky me :D ), the graphics look like a mix between DK and the sims
maybe its because english is not my first language but i find it really hard to understand the dude talking
http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/strategyplanet/evilgenius/evilgenius_pc52903_vd.asf

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom