Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Evil Genius demo is out

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
3D Gamers mirrors

I <3 Dungeon Keeper, and those old campy 1960s era spy movies like In Like Flint, so I'm hoping this game rocks.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Having to target every guy to kill (except for the couple you want to capture) seems like too much micromanagement. I had barely been given free reign to build for myself when there was a little do gooder turd blowing stuff up with my soldiers and henchmen standing around watching him do it.

Sure, they should be stupid, but this is Black&White level of retardation...

Anonymous

HanoverF said:
Having to target every guy to kill (except for the couple you want to capture) seems like too much micromanagement. I had barely been given free reign to build for myself when there was a little do gooder turd blowing stuff up with my soldiers and henchmen standing around watching him do it.

Sure, they should be stupid, but this is Black&White level of retardation...

Well, they follow your orders. So I guess the retardation is with you. Put it on red level of attacking, they'll arm themselves and attack on sight.

I thought the game was ok. Though there was a bug with that thief I needed to interigate that had information. I interigated him like ten times and nothing happened. Oh well.

DemonKing

Arcane
Anonymous said:
I thought the game was ok. Though there was a bug with that thief I needed to interigate that had information. I interigated him like ten times and nothing happened. Oh well.

It was ok, but I got a bug too gloating over the super agent - plenty of "moonwalking" interogation but no result.

keeks

Novice
Nope, the demo isn't bugged. I noticed that my workers interrogated the thief like 5 times but nothing happened. However, the first time a mercenary interrogated him he immediately spilled the beans.

BTW, the workers' interrogation technique is priceless! "HEEEEEEEE HEEEEEEEE, a-chammona!" *grabs crotch*

You don't have to put a kill tag on every enemy agent, just set the base on red alert, put up some gun lockers and the good guys will die in no time.

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
Tried the demo, and the game looks like it could be pretty fun. I'm not so sure about the interface, though. It felt a little cludgy, and I was unsure about how to do various things I wanted to do, particularly when I was trying to interrogate the prisoner (following the instructions didn't always seem to do what it was supposed to... maybe the response time was rather slow?). Hopefully the real manual will help with that. I'm thinking it'll be a fun purchase once it hits the bargain bin.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Love on the rocks, ain't no surprise.

My minions must be really dumb, because they refuse to fight fires....

Sol Invictus

Erudite
They won't fight fires unless you place fire extinguishers nearby. It's a good idea to have a fire extinguisher outside of every room to put out the flames. Once you do that, they'll douse those flames in no-time.

The AI of both your minions and the enemy agents might seem a bit dodgy at times but it's probably because the agents don't shoot at regular worker minions - only the guards. I've noticed that the guards and mercenaries tend to open fire and attack the agents as soon as they are spotted. You can place guards at doors by rightclicking the doors and having guards posted there for security measures. The agents tend not to attack your workers unless provoked, because their primary mission is assumably to blow up the base. I've had them go as far as my armory, placing C4 charges and destroying rooms - and blowing themselves up in the process. It's rather amusing to watch them set the bomb, look at each other as if they made a mistake with the settings and explode.

In the full game, it'll probably not be a good idea to set the base on high alert all the time because if it's anything like Dungeon Keeper, then your workers CAN get stressed out. You'll notice that they have 5 bars at their icon to represent their stress/happiness levels.

DemonKing

Arcane
keeks said:
Nope, the demo isn't bugged. I noticed that my workers interrogated the thief like 5 times but nothing happened. However, the first time a mercenary interrogated him he immediately spilled the beans.

What about the hero guy - I tried interrogating him with workers, mercs and guards, all with my evil genius cracking his sides gloating, and still no result...just a lot of little blue and violet arrows popping up...and also a love heart from one guy! :shock:

Thydron

Liturgist
While the hero is in the holding cell, select the evil genius and click on the holding cell - the hand should have "Ha Ha Ha" on it. You'll then gloat over him.

Seeing the mercenary doing Michael Jackson impressions while interrogating was the funniest thing i've seen in a game for a long time :)

(First post - wooo :wink: )

Greenskin13

Erudite
Give me the bomb.

Thanks for the tip, Exit, but it still pisses me off.

"Well, I could fight this fire, but that means I would have to go down the hall and fetch the fire extinguisher...."

They're like the Jim Gaffigans of evil minions.

And is there any advantage to putting bodies in freezers rather than having them lay around everywhere?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Anonymous said:
Well, they follow your orders. So I guess the retardation is with you. Put it on red level of attacking, they'll arm themselves and attack on sight.

Looks like I hit a sore spot, "Guest" must be a Peter Molyneux fan, or a retard... or a Molyneux fan and a retard... oh wait, thats redundant.

Put the base on red/yellow alert and nothing gets done, some minions dropped delivery/dynamtie boxes to grab guns, and they sat in the same spot until the demo was over.

Anonymous

HanoverF said:
Anonymous said:

Looks like I hit a sore spot, "Guest" must be a Peter Molyneux fan, or a retard... or a Molyneux fan and a retard... oh wait, thats redundant.

Put the base on red/yellow alert and nothing gets done, some minions dropped delivery/dynamtie boxes to grab guns, and they sat in the same spot until the demo was over.

Sore spot? I was just stating the obvious. It's not my fault you blow at the game.

Just kidding of cource, your sucking ass at a video game (and blaming your incompetence on AI that only does your bidding) really did hit a sore spot on me. And yes, I love Peter Moly because of it. You're so very observant.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
I finished the demo, if I'm incompitant, guess I'm still better off then you, blaming a bug.

It's not your fault tho, its your mothers for sleeping with her cousin.

Thydron

Liturgist
Greenskin - im pretty sure only valet minions can use fire extinguishers (check the in-game glossary- im not 100%), so if the 1 valet your given isn't nearby, and you havn't trained more, the fires could go on a while.

edit - and leaving bodybags around makes your minions stats drop.
This is the one feature i didn't like - i ended up with a freezer that took up half the free space i had :?

Fez

Erudite
If you make long thin rooms and fill them with racks it uses the freezer space much more efficiently.

It is a bit annoying that I can't set guards at a door unless I set it so only I an use it, thus blocking the base unless I waste space with more tunnels and doors. The minions have a tendancy to wander far from where they should. Also I've seen damaged equipment sit there waiting to be fixed for long enough but none of the techs went near it, despite having no orders and full stats.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Yes, it would help a lot if you could order entrances (or just about any location) to be guarded at all times, having guard shifts when they get tired (and then have a window of opportunity for enemy agents to sneak in undetected), etc.

Would also be nice if you could build an incinerator to get rid of the excess bodies, maybe even as a powerplant, but maybe that's too evil?

Greenskin13

Erudite
I hate the Japanese.

You should be able to harvest the corpses' organs and sell them for extra money. Or maybe convert the meat to food for the mess hall.

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
Exactly! I totally thought that there must be some way to turn those body bags into money when I first saw them. So disappointed.

Human Shield

Augur
Does the game offer tech research in areas at all? I would like to see zombie research by the sounds of the mass graves people are talking about.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah, it does offer technology research. That's not featured in the demo, however.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom