Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Everyone says it is shit...but I liked it!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Definitely Dungeon Siege 3 for me; that game was a lot of fun to play. For me.
Also have an unreasonably soft spot for Ultima 8. I think it's shit, of course, with all the jumping and crap, but I still treasure its gloomy atmosphere and great music and "everything is shit" atmosphere.

A horse of course

Playing through Disciples 3 + Reincarnation was a fucking mission. It was like having a second job. In fact it was worse than actually working.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Playing through Disciples 3 + Reincarnation was a fucking mission. It was like having a second job. In fact it was worse than actually working.
And you even
funny-wasted-gifs-skateboard.gif
money paying for it.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Strange, for me, it only crashed two or three times, and nothing else.

sser

Arcane
Developer
kane & lynch. the gameplay is...what it is. but I genuienly enjoyed the scenarios, like the shootout in the dance club, as well as the characters; main characters who are irredeemably bad people are a rarity in video games.

also I would say Deadly Premonition, because the game is awful on a technical level: getting around the world is tedious, the shooting segments go on far too long considering how dull they are, the story being a pastiche ripoff of Twin Peaks and other things. but, it's so creative in comparison to the banal majority of video games that I can't say it is shit.

K&L definitely had its moments. It almost feels like a budget AAA-game in a strange way with its strong focus on set pieces. (Rappelling down the skyscraper was my fave.)

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Ultima 8, Gothic 3, Dark Sun 2, Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption.

:x

One day I'll get my revenge, just you wait.

UT DEATHMATCH BITCH :: Grimwulf vs ERYFKRAD?
If it has to be a match, might as well be Blade of Darkness.

Anytime! Will bet my vatnik tag on this. You deserve it anyway.

We should test connection, though. Somehow I doubt that Russia can have a stable connect with whatever infernal abyss you came from.

Archibald

Arcane
Return To Krondor. Yes, its not Betrayal at Krondor, yes it has weird shit in it, but I still enjoyed it and actually played it more times than some "codex classics".

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

We should test connection, though. Somehow I doubt that Russia can have a stable connect with whatever infernal abyss you came from.
You realise you can just make a bet right now on the Darkunderlord vs Menckenstein match and spare the effort and get drunk, right?

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

You realise you can just make a bet right now on the Darkunderlord vs Menckenstein match and spare the effort and get drunk, right?

Yeah. I want to bet on Menck, but don't want to bet against DU. You do realize that DU has a black list of people who bet against him? They say these men tend to dissapear.

So I'll just watch the match from pussy-bench, thank you.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Grom Terror in Tibet. It is a really really really bad commandos-like rpg made by the Polish (I think). I got it from a magazine that came with games on CDs every month. I remember it being super tedious but it had magical space nazi and hindu UFOs. Trippy stuff but it was still fun in my young mind.

Cadmus

Arcane
I liked Oblivion at the time but couldn't play it today as I've grown to hate all the things it did which made me hate Skyrim from the first minute I played it. I still think it was less horrible than Skyrim, maybe those were more innocent times.
I also liked Fallout 3 and couldn't play it again. Basically back then, my suspension of disbelief was enormous and I thought it was be ok for the games to behave in retarded ways. Now I can't remember any other game that was universally hated that I liked. Maybe Heroes IV but I think the opinions of the HOMAM experts may very well be divided on that game.

nomask7

Arcane
I was actually going to post this too. Though it was a generic mishmash of the various games it copied, I enjoyed it for a play through. I'd never go back and replay it but still. Two Worlds 1 on the other hand was the most repetitive garbage ever and not worth completing. Majority of the boring game is spent stacking weapons for +1 like a meth addict. Let's not even mention the writing. Forsooth, praytell!

I didn't find Two Worlds to be particularly repetitive. It was certainly a lot less repetitive than much loved classics like Diablo. Most of the monsters I never bother to engage because they're dangerous and won't drop respectable loot or any loot (as far as my experience goes). Even the bandits I only fight when I need to grind for loot and I'm not tough enough to take on any of the orcs. Name a game like this that is more fun on iron man and I'll be all ears (other than the Souls series perhaps). The lack of bosses means that a play style where you avoid many of the monsters is actually viable. In the Serpent Temple, I avoided all of the serpents (which are pretty badass motherfuckers) while acquiring the Water Element. I messed up while escaping the place and died, and there ended my iron man playthrough, but you get the idea.

I'm not sure what your issues were because you didn't mention anything that would make sense to me. What was bad about the stacking mechanic? I thought it was brilliant. How did you manage to spend so much time with it? Or are you just exaggerating since you don't have any real arguments?

The story was rather minimal, which I liked. It wasn't as minimal as in Sacred 2 (I wish more games like this copied that aspect of Sacred 2), but it wasn't significant enough that you should be bothered by the quality of dialogue, whatever that quality in your opinion - and the one complaint you had about it is certainly superficial and nitpicking. If all you can criticise is grammar, you shouldn't criticise at all.

Last edited:
Doom 3
Prey
Timeshift
Hitman Absolution
Max Payne 3
Resident Evil 5
Age of Empires III
DMC

Of course it's been quite a while since I played some of those and I might have a different reaction today but eh, enjoyed them well enough at the time of playing. Will add more if I remember any.

Last edited:

Starwars

Arcane
Dungeon Siege 3, Skyrim and Broken Age.

Civ V isn't particularly well-liked around here but I love it.

Jigawatt

Arcane
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

Sure it gets a lot of love around here but when it was released and I sang it's praises to my mates - who I would normally consider gamers of distinguished taste - I couldn't convince anyone to play past Shrouded Hills. In fact I'm struggling to think of anyone I've met in person with anything good to say about it.

Nael

Arcane

Sure it gets a lot of love around here but when it was released and I sang it's praises to my mates - who I would normally consider gamers of distinguished taste - I couldn't convince anyone to play past Shrouded Hills. In fact I'm struggling to think of anyone I've met in person with anything good to say about it.

I'm actually playing it again right now after countless unsuccessful attempts to get anywhere beyond Tarant. I'm having a lot more fun this time around I think because I'm playing a charismatic character and I'm letting the computer do most of the awful combat for me. At the moment I've just left the Wheel Clan so I might actually finish it this time around.

And honestly Black Mountain Clan was not as bad as what everyone made it out to be. It wasn't a bright and shining example of dungeon design but it wasn't mind numbingly terrible or overly long IMO. That distinction should go to most of the dungeons in Oblivion and Skyrim. And those are all built on convenient loops so I don't know what that says about me. Maybe I should be into BDSM? :|

Archibald

Arcane

I think that Arcanum is perfect example of "bad game but with very strong redeeming features", if you happen to like its strong parts then you can looks pasts its numerous shortcomings, if you don't, well then game is kinda shit.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
X Rebirth
Hitman Absolution
Black&White 1 and 2
Carmageddon TDR
Risen 2
Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising
NecroVision
Mafia 2
FarCry2
Colonial Marines
AvP2010

All games ive greatly enjoyed.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I have enjoyed an indecent amount of totally generic J-RPG and pixel-art plateformers, Of Orcs And Men, Krater, HoMM4.

I don't think that Rage of mages 1&2 or Return to Krondor are really so bad games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom