Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Everyone says it is shit...but I liked it!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't give me that troll. You are not trolling, you actually like russian games. Admit it.

Don't even try to deny it. You vatnik.

Never denied it. That troll though was just to get your goat.

And it worked. :troll:

zwanzig_zwoelf

I also loved Rage of Mages 2 (aka Allods 2).
It's one of these games where magic was pretty satisfying. Plus rather entertaining RT gameplay.
Rage-of-Mages-2--Necromancer_4.jpg

And it was developed by Russkies, which is surprising, because this game wasn't shit.

Do you know how does Allods franchise look today?

Allods_120721_055346.jpg
I even played it.
For about 1000+ hours and wasted over $1000 on it over the years.
:troll:

Keshik

Arcane
Gabriel Knight 2, I had fun even with the goofy FMV (though I guess it was better than most others), really liked the setting and tie-in with Ludwig.

Star Wars Rebellion - lots of people though this was poor but I loved it and still replay it (well, when I could before I lost my XP box)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Gothic series. Pretty popular in Potato and Germany. No idea why. I agree with nomask's words about G3, for me it was more entertaining open world game than TES series.
Angthoron it's no longer true with patches. Even my decent (for 2010 standards) handle it well.
Stalker series. To satisfy my need of greed, scavenging, modding and shooting so I don't need to buy modern shooters.

Vibalist

Arcane
Oblivion.

A few days ago I clicked on the Oblivion soundtrack on youtube by accident (it appeared in the sidebar for God knows what reason). I started reading the comments as you do on Youtube, and all these youngsters were reminiscing about how Oblivion was the "last real RPG" and how games these days, like Skyrim, were nothing but watered down, soulless copies of that great gaming achievement that was Oblivion.
I couldn't fucking believe what I was reading. It was like one of those things people here used to joke about. I remember several posters jesting that one day a game as shitty as Oblivion would be held in high regard as some sort of "old school, hardcore gaming experience that we never see anymore these days". But I honestly did not expect it to happen.
What do ya know. This world keeps surprising you in shittier and shittier ways, doesn't it?

Anyways, carry on.

Machocruz

Arcane
Mitra save me, I'm playing Mass Effect 2 and enjoying it. Popping moles with a sniper or ice shots while cloaked is fun...

please-kill-me-o.gif

zwanzig_zwoelf

Mitra save me, I'm playing Mass Effect 2 and enjoying it. Popping moles with a sniper or ice shots while cloaked is fun...

please-kill-me-o.gif
Meh, I breezed through the entire trilogy while being drunk.
Felt like a cheap interactive movie series.
It was pretty fun that way.

Unwanted
It's one of these games where magic was pretty satisfying. Plus rather entertaining RT gameplay.

And it was developed by Russkies, which is surprising, because this game wasn't shit.
what the fuck .......... ruskies make the good games, western fagg0t. they are unpolished because they have ambition, and virility ... yes?!

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I don't know if other people think it is shit but I played the hell out of Kingdoms of Amalur, I even though I felt guilty the whole time. It felt like a game I should hate.

nomask7

Arcane
I don't know if other people think it is shit but I played the hell out of Kingdoms of Amalur, I even though I felt guilty the whole time. It felt like a game I should hate.

I do think it's shit, but I only played for an hour or so. What did you like about it?

Hitman: Codename 47: I don't know what the Codex opinion of this game (the first in the series) is, but when it came out after a disastrous demo, it got a very lukewarm reception. Even today, it's sort of the redheaded stepchild of the series, but I really enjoyed it at the time, and while it certainly doesn't have the polish and great level design of a later game such as Blood Money, I would argue it was the greatest game in the series in terms of innovation. It came up with many of the things and gameplay mechanics that make Hitman games what they are (until the 5th one anyway). It was the first or one of the first games to introduce disguises as a type of stealth, it was also one of the first games to have physics (dragging bodies or shooting out aquarium glass was so much fun back in those days), and it laid out all the basic gameplay, so some of its best levels (the hotel one for example) were almost as good as the stuff in Blood Money. It was just like nothing else back in those days, and some of its shortcomings still led to a lot of fun (anyone remember killing 30+ soldiers in that jungle level cause steath was impossible?). As far as level design and expanded options, the later games were much better, but they were also never as innovative again.

Heroes of Annihilated Empires: A sort of RPG/strategy hybrid which has a really shitty strategy portion, but taking your hero and leveling them up on a giant map while being chased around by thousands of enemies, and then launching a massive magma ball or some other epic spell that would kill hundreds of them in one shot was fun as hell. Not a great game overall or anything, but I always found it fun in that mode.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

I do think it's shit, but I only played for an hour or so. What did you like about it?

It felt like single player WoW, at least as far as the world/art was concerned. I normally detest those kinds of action-y combat games, but it wasn't bad. I just like the overall massive feel of the game. It was pitifully easy and the story was dumb, but the skill system was fairly deep (if unimaginative) and, well, I dunno. It got its hooks in me for some reason. Also, it probably doesn't hurt that I got it for like 9 bucks on an Origin sale.

zwanzig_zwoelf

what the fuck .......... ruskies make the good games, western fagg0t. they are unpolished because they have ambition, and virility ... yes?!
19586.jpg

A user named cat

I found Two Worlds 2 entertaining.
I was actually going to post this too. Though it was a generic mishmash of the various games it copied, I enjoyed it for a play through. I'd never go back and replay it but still. Two Worlds 1 on the other hand was the most repetitive garbage ever and not worth completing. Majority of the boring game is spent stacking weapons for +1 like a meth addict. Let's not even mention the writing. Forsooth, praytell!

Spellforce 1 - I know it's not univerally panned but it's never received much love. It was admittedly mostly a gimmick for a hybrid RPG/strategy combination, but it certainly had its charm and entertainment. The sequel on the other hand was bland garbage and felt like Neverwinter Jr.

Icewind Dale 2 - another game not universally shit upon but often called blah and mediocre, if not worse. I thoroughly enjoyed playing it through it, much more than even the first game actually. I'm not sure why even, it was a number of years ago and I haven't played either since.

Call of Duty 2 - the hate really only pertains to the non-popamole crowd and I can't argue; this game was the beginning of the end for modern shooters. Yet I still think it's a very fun romp and even worth replaying for some mindless war-shooting fun with a variety of exciting levels. Much more so than the shit sequels that followed.

Ascension to the Throne - I don't know about hate but most people who happened to play it didn't exactly praise it much. Yes, the balance takes a turn for the worse towards the end especially with the overpowered valkyries but if you avoided abusing them, then it was a hell of a fun game to play through if you enjoy the King's Bounty genre. You can also lump Elven Legacy and Fantasy Wars into this entry too which were also similar yet never praised much. Both completely overlooked despite being quite fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom