Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Everyone says it is shit...but I liked it!

Venser

Erudite
After spending countless hours playing Virtua Fighter 2 arcade, I got the Mega Drive version. At first I was disappointed by the 2D version but gradually I fell in love with it. It's more realistic then other fighters and every move has a counter. Mega Drive version has poor sound, slower movement, less stages and 2 characters missing but after years of playing it I might even prefer it over the 3D version :P

Dungeon Lords.

Can't help it.
It is clearly shit (honestly, there is no arguing it), but it has a charm that drags me into the game each year for some days.
I find the game to be wonderfully awkward. And the combat is actually fun.

Oh... don't buy the recent re-release, it is a total rubbish gameplay "overhaul" that basically makes everything much, much worse.

You are mistaken. There is a hidden text that comes with each post one makes on the forum.

This.

Also, Alice: Madness Returns.

Lands of Lore II, my favorite game.

On the console side of things, how about some Powerstone and Monster Rancher?

I also dug LGS before it was cool.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
On the console side of things, how about some Powerstone and Monster Rancher?

Monster Rancher, maybe, but I'm positive Powerstone is one of those cult classics on the DC. Pretty much everyone that I know that has heard of it, likes it. Same goes for Monster Rancher, for anyone that wasn't looking for a Pokemon clone and more of a monster raising sim.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Chaos Legion, a mediocre Devil May Cry clone. There were some pokemon companions you could invoke, and the bomb one could just be spammed on some levels in the middle of a large group of respawning enemies just to see thm bouncing around. Another companion could parry bosses' attacks, even the ones larger than the screen for extra lols. The ultimate pokemon at max level just clears the screen with thousands of quite satisfying homing bullets.

Last edited:

Archibald

Arcane
Same goes for Monster Rancher, for anyone that wasn't looking for a Pokemon clone and more of a monster raising sim.

I think that first 2 were well received? Only later series went a bit south.

Miner Arobar

Educated
No one mentioned EU:Rome yet? Probably my favourite game that seems to be generally disliked. Only think that helps my Hellenistic-era strategy game itch.

titus

Arcane
Patron
No one mentioned EU:Rome yet? Probably my favourite game that seems to be generally disliked. Only think that helps my Hellenistic-era strategy game itch.
Rome was/is hated? Loved it. Too bad Paradox fucked it up and never improved upon the base game.

Alpha Protocol - roleplayed a fat, passive aggressive mercenary sporting a big, unkempt full beard and wore a large hat(the ones that they wear in the jungle) the whole game. Fun times with explosives.

gromit

Arcane
I'll throw in some love for Gothic 3. Not a game without its flaws -- half of which can be blamed squarely on my precious map. But the landscape itself is one of the best in any game, ever... always distinct and readable, and usually maintaining a gamey touch that's lacking in other open-world games.

I couldn't tell you the names of any place in... the forest part... or what NPCs are there. I probably couldn't while I was playing it. But I could still give you decent directions, or maybe pull off a decent pirate's map, from the coastal towns through the river and lake. Complete with side routes and a few "here be dragons."

Quite the feat since there aren't nearly as many hard divisions or novelty-style landmarks. My second favorite "simulated hike" was Morrowind: it was fun to explore. But without the signage and ubiquitious doorways, and Red Mountain as the center point for a ring of subclimates. it'd all turn to mush between points of interest (which were never far apart.)

Other games, I know by the map. Gothic 3, I know by the territory. It's a pity we got Forsaken Gods instead of an in-place expansion.

After spending countless hours playing Virtua Fighter 2 arcade, I got the Mega Drive version. At first I was disappointed by the 2D version but gradually I fell in love with it. It's more realistic then other fighters and every move has a counter. Mega Drive version has poor sound, slower movement, less stages and 2 characters missing but after years of playing it I might even prefer it over the 3D version :P
I can KIND OF understand that... it's not like there's tons of low-key 2d fighters to pick from. And it's probably different enough, for dropping a dimension to appreciate in its own way (did they do an SNK-style sidestep or anything?)

Last edited:
poster07.jpg

Dunno why so many people hate this geam, even it it's pussified for MK title it's still a damn solid fighter, best of 3D ones (I mean - ones with 3D gameplay). I'll take it over any of Marvel vs Capcom abominations any day.

Plot is pretty stupid - due to some accicent, Shao Kahn and Darkseid are fused into Blaze from MK Armageddon Dark Kahn, a creature that plans to merge both worlds, spreading the bersekerk mode among kombatants. It's all realy an excuse for goofy dialogues and other weird shit.

mkdcboxingglove.gif

It's a first MK that has a good voice acting and splendid story mode. Basically, it's a beta for MK9 campaign, the projects of nu Sub-Zero, Raiden or Scorpion are originated here. There's ware also plans for Kung Lao and Quan Chi sold as DLC but geam felt into obscurity and Midway gave up.

Only thing I don't like are finishing moves. They're consist of fatalities (for MK chars + DC villains) and... HEROIC BRUTALITIES for DC good guys, WTF? Fatalities are weird, whole censorship is about avoiding mutilation but I asume it's still ok for kids to burn someone to death or froze & shatter LULZ. And good DC fags loves peace so they just stomp their victim into the ground instead and how's this kind of brutality heroic is beyond me.

Nowadays, when MK9/MK10/Injustice1&2 are considered a great succes it's fucking unkown to me why they won't release MK vs DC on Steam, easy money conversion (UE3 engine). PC tards plz wait for RPCS3 emulation to handle this.

Here's sample of cutscene goodness:

Last edited:

Plisken

Learned
Brigade E5 : New Jagged Union

It is shit. It's like a tech demo. It has no coherent story, there are bugs can make it impossible to complete, and the controls are a mess that takes a long time and a lot of trial and error to learn how to control fluently. Graphically the weapon models are really very good but everything else is a bland mess.

But in so far as a realistic small unit tactics simulator, there isn't anything else and this does several things really well. It's sequel, 7.62 high caliber is somewhat popular as it is much more polished, but amusingly, is actually a dumbed down version of this tech demo. For example, E5 has multiple enterable buildings on almost every map, often with multiple stories and many rooms to clear, and combat actually takes place in these buildings frequently. 7.62 on the other hand, has maybe like 5 enterable buildings in the entire game and they are very simple and dont matter as the AI just walk through the walls anyway.

Probably you should just play ja2 with the 1.13 mod instead, but to me its a real shame this studio is now defunct, I feel like they were onto something with this series and just needed a bit more time and money to nail it down.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom