Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Everspace - a rogue-like PC space shooter

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Gameplay:

But the first Devlog is about Gamepad controls :decline: (at least they are a stretch goal)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Gameplay:

But the first Devlog is about Gamepad controls :decline: (at least they are a stretch goal)

Gamepads are basicly mini josysticks, and joysticks are a must in space sims. So I don't see the problem. The real problem is that in the pitch video, and it the video you posted they obviously controlled the spaceships with only a mouse (you could recognise it on the movement of the reticle), which is the true :decline:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Well, the mouse control decline started with Freelancer (?). I remember Chris Roberts taking about making the game more accessible this way because people just didn't own joysticks anymore or something. Today, the share of people owning joysticks is probably even lower than in 2003.

Controllers may be mini joysticks, but I don't see them much superior to mice. But they'll support real jocksticks with the gamepad stretch goal.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, the mouse control decline started with Freelancer (?). I remember Chris Roberts taking about making the game more accessible this way because people just didn't own joysticks anymore or something. Today, the share of people owning joysticks is probably even lower than in 2003.

Controllers may be mini joysticks, but I don't see them much superior to mice. But they'll support real jocksticks with the gamepad stretch goal.
I don't feel comfortable playing sims and arcade games with mouse and keyboard, because they are inferior to joysticks or comfortable, when it comes to controlling the ship. Mouse pointer is only superior when it comes to targeting.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
ITT tons of people who didn't play the shitty Galaxy on Fire and think this will be good.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Gameplay:

They are showing 10 minutes of boring, monotonous dogfight combat. All the same shit with no variation. 10 minutes long. Seriously???
Also... that environment. That's even too colorful and bright for my taste. If you want eyecancer or epileptic seizures this is the way to go.
Then the exaggerated after-panning of the cockpit. Ridiculous! Half of the cockpit disappears when turning around.
No thanks, I pass on that.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Two more DevLogs:

Core Game Loop | Procedural Levels | Story Progression

Exploration | Combat AI | Battle Tactics

Reapa

Doom Preacher
i can't believe the crap i'm reading about joysticks even coming close to being useful in any kind of way. a mouse is physically capable of covering areas from way under the displayed one to beyond. the precision to speed ratio can be customized individually to suit any need of any player in any game. given that every joystick has certain movement boundaries it's automatically inferior, you fucking imbeciles.
and now to the game itself: a rogue like that makes itself easier with each new game is like a pay to win game where you invest deaths instead of money. you don't get better at the game, you grind deaths like an idiot. it's a good way to let anyone get through the game without any thought or skill while making it frustrating for good players for a while and then dumping any challenge. the replayability of such a game isn't measured in deaths and restarts any more, it just doesn't exist. now what's the point of making a rogue like without the replayability of a rogue like? i can't believe people talk about joysticks instead of this. but then again you're proven imbeciles, so i guess it's no wonder.

Last edited:

Naraya

Arcane
My random feedback after playing this the last few days:

- the premise is interesting - death is inevitable (just like in real life!) and the idea is to spend credits you earned during the last run to upgrade your ship and try again
- the game looks simply gorgeous and plays smooth as butter, even on my old GTX670 --> I'm experimenting with Reshade to spice it up even more, as for example IMO it's too bright.
- the general gameplay feels like Freelancer married with FTL, and spaceflying/dogfights also have very strong Freelancer vibe (for me it's great as I love Freelancer) --> don't expect a Freespace 2 clone, Everspace is simple.
- perfectly playable (I'd say even preferable) to use KBM than a joystick
- you can definitely sense the danger and mystery of space
- currently story is pretty much nonexistent (subject to change during further development)
- single-player only, which is awesome as it means that it won't go down the path of E : D and similar games in terms of balance and other stuff
- it might sound strange in light of all above but in my opinion, the game is overpriced and I wouldn't pick it up for more than half it's current price. It simply doesn't have as much content to justify 30 EUR (yet?).
- DRM-free version available (on GOG) :salute:

Overall I was pleasantly surprised and will be following the development. For me it fills the niche that E : D completely missed to fill :argh: and has solid potential to be something more.

My current rating: :4/5:

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteGuts

Arcane
This pretty much feels like 3D FTL. The controls are smooth as hell using keyboard and mouse, far superior to the awkward controller scheme.

It's already pretty good in its current state, can't wait to see the full game.

Last edited:

Severian Silk

I would be interested if there is single player story content. (STORYFAG) The KBM gameplay is not that appealing, but I will overlook it.

Naraya

Arcane
I can honestly say that the gameplay (flying/combat) is even simpler (doesn't mean easier) than in Freelancer. There is no radar whatsoever, no speed indicator, no advanced targeting (selecting targets feels bit random and usually it means "near the crosshair"), you can't communicate with NPCs at all (apart from single type of interaction like trade/repair/refuel). Make no mistake - this is not a flight sim by any means, it's a 6 DoF shooter but it does a damn great job at that. I can't put my finger why but the devs managed to perfectly implement the feel of controlling your ship. It's quick, snappy and feels just right. I'm having tons of fun mining crystals from inside of an asteroid or hiding there from enemy fighters and last but not least - outmanouvering enemy missiles. Or carefully snatching a mysterious crate from derelict ship, where one bad move means waving good-bye to my shield.

It's just FUN gameplay :)

Severian Silk

Is there a demo?

Also, what happens when you die? Do you keep your ship, stats, and progress traveling through systems?

I played a top-down space roguelike a few years ago (I can't remember the name), but it was permadeath only.

Last edited by a moderator:

Naraya

Arcane
Unfortunately there is no demo.

When you die, you keep credits you earned on the last run (which you should immediately spend to permanently upgrade your ship because they reset at the start of the following run). You also get to keep blueprints, which can be used to craft a weapons and other stuff during subsequent runs (eg. only after finding the proper blueprint you can craft Heavy Missile on the run, otherwise you can only salvage them from killed foes).

System progress is not saved but that's not an issue.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It is not a classic roguelike but it is close and in a fun addicting way close. Yea it is probably easier than a classic roguelike but that does not matter as long as players are having fun.

Severian Silk

Website says:

From the makers of the iconic Galaxy on Fire series comes a new breed of space shooter for PC and Xbox One, combining roguelike elements with top-notch visuals and a captivating story.

Is it true about the story? STORYFAG REPORTING IN!

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Well in the current state of the game there isn't much storyfagging, and I wouldn't expect there to be any kind of stellar writing, stories in space games are notoriously shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom