Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Everspace - a rogue-like PC space shooter

vonAchdorf

Arcane
German developer Rockfish Games of mobile fame (Galaxy on Fire) is developing a buzzword heavy "rogue-like", "PC", "runs on UE4" space shooter with "a non linear story".

Being an EVERSPACE pilot you will travel & explore, hunt for resources and uncover hidden secrets as well as fight and upgrade your ship and character.

As the game won’t be ultra hardcore when it comes to character death, you can embrace dying on a new level. Every time you die you are going to be rewarded and can pick better gear for your next run. And yes, all upgrades and modifications will be visible on your shiny ship in full detail.

It seems that's something of their main idea, it's their punchline in the trailer too.

Pretty

Everspace_E3_Prototype_Screenshot_0111-1030x579.jpg

Hexagons = futuristic

Everspace_E3_Prototype_Screenshot_002-1030x579.jpg

http://everspace-game.com

It's on Greenlight
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=486215755

and will be coming to Kickstarter August 6th.

Their team looks less hipster than the competition.

:Flash:

Arcane
I remember when Frontier was criticized for having a blue (instead of black) space. I think there even was a black space mod.
Nowadays it seems space is all colours except black.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Yes, these gaudy colors alway ruin it. I think most ppl, developers and players alike, don't give a fuck about what space looks like, and want it to look like space in shallow movies and videogames.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think you are expecting too much from a game that calls itself a Space Shooter instead of a Space Sim.

Burning Bridges

It would still be nice if artists had a clue how space looks. As it is it looks as if the action takes place underwater.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
They probably have, but imagine flying around in a pitch black space (with some grey asteroids) all the time. People will drop the game after 10 minutes.

Severian Silk

Do the in-cockpit shots mean there is joystick control in addition to mouse?

Burning Bridges

They probably have, but imagine flying around in a pitch black space (with some grey asteroids) all the time. People will drop the game after 10 minutes.

That's their problem, if they don't like space games they shouldn't play them.

Games like KSP have shown that there enough people who do.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
If it's only about simulating reality we could remove 99% of all games.
Also - who says that there isn't a part of space colorful like that? We only know a microscopic part of the universe.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It's not unrealistic, the windows of the spaceships apply a real time false color filter like NASA with its Hubble images.

DraQ

Arcane
  1. Download Space Engine.
  2. While dumb, keep fucking around with SE.
  3. You are disallowed from playing anything else that is space related until dumb goes away.
  4. You are welcome.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
How to make space visually interesting.

Step 1: remove gaudy colours.
Step 2: set action near stellar object such as a planet or in/above an asteroid field
Step 3: don't abuse nebulae unless you have a damn good reason

Heck deep space with little to no light pollution makes for some nice starfields

Raapys

Arcane
Freespace, X-series(except Rebirth), Privateer 1&2... Is that it for black-space games? Maybe some of the wingcommander games.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Galaxy on Fire was generic-ass-fuck. I'm sure this will be equally as bad.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Meh... I got space simulation fatigue. Ironic, given that no decent space game has been around for 10 years...

btw. in the KS pitch they claim to have deliberately chosen colorful backgrounds

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
I think it looks good.

Now it's just a matter of how will the ships handle and how nice or boring the missions are.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I like that it is a rogue like game, I have not tried that with a space game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom