Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Even Call of Duty: Ghosts is going PC hipster these days - Released

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Hahahah.

Haven't bought a CoD game since Black Ops (didn't get MW2), and even that was a mistake.

Anyone who thought they would put any effort into a PC release needs to dig their head out of the sand.

Unless an indie developer manages to bring us to deliverance, we'll never see the likes of a good PC FPS ever again (unless you count Valve's recent offerings).

The features of an ideal PC FPS:
Developer console
Devmap
Editable config without heavy-handed interference from the developer (server admins can decide what's legal via script)
Consumer-controlled dedicated servers (the files come with the game, instead of being vendor only).
Modding capability (easy to create scripts that edit the gametypes, maps & softcoded mechanics)
Modding and/or mapping tools
Capable of achieving average FPS of greater than 120
Good netcode, antilag solution preferrable that works well in the 0-120 ping range - Backwards Reconciliation seems to be the best of them so far, definitely NOT CLIENT SIDE
Good shooting and movement mechanics (can be fixed by script if slightly off)
Lack of gamebreaking bugs
Equivalent of HLTV

We used to get if not all, most of these things.

Forget this shit, get amazing COD4 (Steam) for $5 here: https://stacksocial.com/sales/call-of-duty-4-modern-warfare

CoD2 is better though (and CoD1 even better than that)

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
fov is governed in Call of Duty by the cvar cg_fov, if the cvar is locked or not in the config, I think you can open up the multiplayer executable and edit it there, because the cvar name is displayed in plaintext and the value next to it is probably in hex or something.

That said in past CoDs you were not able to do that except in cheat mode ... but then again people have been able to use hacks on the console version of Ghosts, so that says a lot about their code integrity / security ... lol.

FWIW you could force Red Dots on the radar in CoD4 all the time up until patch 1.7 ... lol, almost as good as a wallhack.

edit: oh nope, they bytepatched it ... like a cheat hahah.

Last edited:

Dr Tomo

Learned
http://www.incgamers.com/2013/11/call-duty-ghosts-pc-fov-fix-taken-following-activision-threats
Seems like good idea to threathen to sue modders who are making your game better and maybe even incereasing sales (even though extremely marginally).

It reflects badly on you if some kids can fix your shitty port on release day, I guess.

That is why you threaten to sue them and then there is no bad PR.

*edit
WoW Down to 7.6 Million Subscribers
Blizzard has their Q3 2013 earnings call today, announcing that WoW is down to 7.6 million subscribers. This is down 100k from the last one that listed WoW at 7.7 million subscribers.

• Blizzard wants to look at more efficient and better ways of providing customer service for WoW. Efforts are being put towards improving the self-help opportunities so that there is less need for players to contact support.
  • Diablo III has sold over 14 million copies across all platforms.
  • Heroes of the Storm will be free to play and playable at Blizzcon.
  • In North America, StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm was the #1 PC game for the first nine months of 2013

I hope Activision gets through these tough times.

Last edited:

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
http://www.incgamers.com/2013/11/call-duty-ghosts-pc-fov-fix-taken-following-activision-threats
Seems like good idea to threathen to sue modders who are making your game better and maybe even incereasing sales (even though extremely marginally).
Um.

It's illegal to modify a program running in memory?

What?

Unfortunately yes, a program running in RAM, although "transient" in common sense, is considered to be "fixed" enough to be copyright protected. See MAI Systems Corp. v. Peak Computer, Inc.. So, unless the modder can prove fair use, he is most likely screwed.

'sides, the DMCA law says it's illegal to circumvent a digital protection of a program. I'm not a modder so I'm not entirely familiar with this, but I assume that to modify the FOV, the modder had to unpack some encrypted files? That counts as a a violation of the DMCA. --This is how Blizzard took down some bigshot WOW modders in a high profile lawsuit.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Um.

It's illegal to modify a program running in memory?

What?

Unfortunately yes, a program running in RAM, although "transient" in common sense, is considered to be "fixed" enough to be copyright protected. See MAI Systems Corp. v. Peak Computer, Inc.. So, unless the modder can prove fair use, he is most likely screwed.

'sides, the DMCA law says it's illegal to circumvent a digital protection of a program. I'm not a modder so I'm not entirely familiar with this, but I assume that to modify the FOV, the modder had to unpack some encrypted files? That counts as a a violation of the DMCA. --This is how Blizzard took down some bigshot WOW modders in a high profile lawsuit.
Fair use doesn't affect DMCA.

For example: it's fair use to copy a movie you own, but it's against the DMCA to crack the encryption on a DVD. If you crack the encryption to legally copy a movie, you've violated the DMCA.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Fair use doesn't affect DMCA.

For example: it's fair use to copy a movie you own, but it's against the DMCA to crack the encryption on a DVD. If you crack the encryption to legally copy a movie, you've violated the DMCA.

Yes you're right. I was just saying that Activision has two potential legal theories to attack the mod.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Jesus Christ that guy has the most annoying accent.

Boohoo treat customers unfairly boohoo. Maybe the 6gb requirement is to keep annoying whiny cunts like him out of the game. In that case wooo.

Artificialy high system requirements without major graphical improvement in order to deceive the cosumers and gain 'next-gent' prestige - could humanity fall any lower?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I don't understand how on earth they hoped to fool anyone with that, the game looks exactly like the ones before. Dated.

Seerix

Arbiter
"Played" it for few minutes and Shift + deleted it afterwards. Seems like Infinity Ward intentionally unoptimized this game. I could run no problem every single CoD before, this one is a slide show at 640+480 with all settings on low, highest priority for application and additional tweaks trough gpu to get even lower quality. I could somewhat go trough the first segment but then I saw pretty space station and planet Earth and felt it's just a waste of the visuals to continue like that. Will watch it on YouTube but I won't be surpised if the game gets some additional fixes, official or not and become playable, it's worse than Saints Row 2 right now.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

Boohoo treat customers unfairly boohoo. Maybe the 6gb requirement is to keep annoying whiny cunts like him out of the game. In that case wooo.
:butthurt:

Apparently you can't even run this game properly with two titans running in sli. Should tell you everything you need to know.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter

:butthurt:

Apparently you can't even run this game properly with two titans running in sli. Should tell you everything you need to know.
COD ghosts is the next Far Cry/Crysis there is no system requeriment available today that could run this game :troll:

Artificialy high system requirements without major graphical improvement in order to deceive the cosumers and gain 'next-gent' prestige - could humanity fall any lower?

The only reason for them to do that would be so their hardcore fanboys can tell the BF4 fanboys that Ghosts is a big boy game too because it requires a beastly machine to run, and even if they were crazy enough to do this it wouldn't be a good business choice because it screws over every brodude that plays on PC but isn't an insane fanboy. I'm blaming it on plain incompetence.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
they are sabotaging the CoD franchise so that all the retarded faggots move on to the subscription based Destiny. They will make way more money collecting subs than pumping out shit every year.

They wouldn't make nearly as much money. Like the big sports games, CoD already has most of the work done already, they just have to prissy it up for the yearly iteration. Even with the bloated cost from the CINEMATIC presentation, it's still a goldmine and killing it on purpose would be a terminally retarded thing to do.

inb4 two weeks from now all major news sites run with the story that Infinity Ward has massively optimized their game, showing their dedication and willingness to go beyond the call of duty for their players and thereby lifting the 6GB requirement.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
they are sabotaging the CoD franchise so that all the retarded faggots move on to the subscription based Destiny. They will make way more money collecting subs than pumping out shit every year.
You realize they barely care about the PC audience right?

As long as people keep buying it on Xbox, they're happy.

Dr Tomo

Learned

I am highly skeptical that they are gonna charge a sub for a console game since the ones that are on the PS store are f2p with mt store. Selling a mmo with a sub is already tough with the pc audience, I don't think console gamers will be any more different.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom