Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europareich 2057 - A Cyberpunk CYOA

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think that the most certain way of finding some actionable information is to find out what happened to the security system, which means going to the DSE power company, which means A or B. The ECK people might be rather conspicuous, but, unless we're planning to go alone and out of uniform, so is a whole military squad knocking at the door. So, both A and B are equally conspicuous. However, the ECK people have the tools and the skills to thoroughly investigate the matter, while going there only with a bunch of heavily armed rookies and a badge is not going to be very productive, hence A.

Hellraiser

Arcane
The tally:

aaa
cccc
ee
hhhh

Unfortunately H won rather than C because it had an earlier last vote, why C winning would have been better you'll see when the update gets posted. All I can say is that you would have gotten a fate point out of it.

Either way more huehuehue news for you. expect an update today or tomorrow if something bad happens:

brasiliatribune5v1.png

Erebus

Arcane
Oil is only 5 euros a liter in 2040 ? The future isn't as bad as we thought it would be.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Chapter VI

Langfur, the Quattro Towers. A dwarf of an apartment complex compared to the corporate monstrosities that grew around it over the decades. Within one of these half a century old towers lives Jan Girczuk, the manager of the Fuchs Implant Clinic. You meet up with him in his home.

“Ida Westgard, Europareich Bundeswehr Feldwebel.” You tell him as he nervously checks the camera to see who is at the door.

“Well you look like the military, come in.” He replies before opening the door.

The apartment’s interior reflects the status of its owner, a medium-level manager of a second league bio-tech and cybernetics corp. Granted, it still looks better than your old apartment ever did, with all the antique electronics inside of it. An odd retro vintage style, one which could be considered hi-tech before the Crisis of 07, maybe even earlier judging by some of the items.

One piece in particular draws your attention, it has an odd green blinking digital clock display. But it’s too big to be just a clock, then again you aren’t exactly the kind of person someone would consider an expert on electronics or their history.

“It’s a VCR, you never seen one?” The manager tells you.

“Not really, what does it do?” You ask.

“They used these to make rather low-quality recordings of TV and other analogue video. They kind of died out somewhere after the end of the XXth century. Used to be considered quite the gadget, but you know how it is. This year’s newest model is outdated in a few years and considered a joke among gadget-crazy teens in ten or fifteen years. It’s the same with cybernetics.”

“Mine work just fine.”

“They could work better, now they’re obsolete at least partially. That’s how we make money, we make or buy newer models and replace the old ones. So long as there is progress, we make a profit.”

“I honestly don’t like concept of me being obsolete, even if it is just a part of me that I wasn’t born with.” The mere concept irritates you, but perhaps he is right. What if some day you will be obsolete, below the par set by younger soldiers with newer Netlinks, cyber-limbs and optical implants. Perhaps retirement might be a good option then, if you live that long.

“About your business though,” you decide to get to the point, “got any ideas who might be responsible? Seen or heard anything suspicious lately maybe?”

“Nothing, no death-threats or anything. None of the staff ever said anything about them either, and they’re trained to do so, just in case fanatics do attack. NoMech or Gaia’s Liberation League, you know how they are about augmentations.”

“Right, the GLL can be rather cunning, they almost blew up Prateek Bio-Enhancement HQ once. Still, do you have any other ideas?”

“It could have been our competitors, there are some rumors circulating on the Net saying they are concerned with some of our newer products cutting into their market share.”

“Anything more precise? I can’t just go and interrogate every Blakemore Systems, Prateek or Sidic employee in the TSZ. Hell, even then they could have just had somebody fund and plan this behind the scenes, from the comfort of their own boardroom using a billion proxies.”

“Well I am sorry, but if I knew more I would have told you. It is also in my interest that you find the culprits after all.”

“Right, well then sorry for bothering you. We’ll have to dig up something elsewhere.”

After yesterday’s investigation found almost nothing, you are beginning to wonder whether the analysis results will be any better. You spent most of the day driving around the city and talking to Fuchs employees, the only thing you learned today was the street layout of the TSZ. Everyone repeated what the manager has already said, was is either the competitors or anti-cybernetics terrorists

Suddenly the HUD informs you of an incoming call. You focus and answer it, MacKay’s cybernetic face appears in the video window.

“It is done, Miss Żuławska’s computer contains nothing really incriminating. Unless you consider nude photographs of the female in question incriminating.” He tells you.
“So that is it? Is this case cursed or something?”

“I recommend abandoning such superstitious beliefs. She did try to sell images and other visual data to several media corps in the past. But her efforts were fruitless. However her cohabitors had something to hide, rather inefficiently I might add.”

“What did you find?”

“The uncooperative male who suggested we should recharge ourselves, Robert Wis, he visited a number of monitored websites. He used proxies, but such tricks are hardly a challenge even to new ECK agents. He didn’t post anything particularly illegal.“

“But?”

“But he did reveal his separatist views, he’s a Polish nationalist sympathizing with some organizations like the White Eagle. He has also mentioned casually, that an acquaintance of his has was involved with somebody fighting the “kraut nazis” in the TSZ. Possibly the White Eagle or other similar group.”

“Well well, it looks like I may have to talk to him.”

“As much as extracting data from him could be useful, it is logical to assume he is *not* connected to the Fuchs case. The White Eagle targets so called traitors, volksdeutsche, individuals working closely with Europa Bundesreich Federal authorities. This attack does not fit their operating pattern, unless the pattern has changed. Pestering Mr. Wis could sidetrack your efforts.”

“True, however my mission is to maintain stability in the TSZ. If he knows of a White Eagle cell in the area, it would be prudent to shut them down before they do any damage.“

“A logical course of action considering your objectives, its present priority however is debatable. I hope you are efficient in your actions, if needed we will await for further request from you. McKay out.”

You spend some time researching the subject of the White Eagle. Adam was right, they mostly target Polish corporations working closely with the Europareich Government, usually it’s sabotage occasionally a killing or kidnapping of a high-ranked manager. Sometimes they attack “treasonous” representatives in the Europareich Parliament, but so far that only happened twice and they were stopped by the bodyguards once. The Fuchs clinic doesn’t fit the profile.

Another blinking indicator, it appears somebody else wants to talk to you. The icon suggests this is something very important, you answer the call and turn on the microphone in your helmet by thinking about it.

“Herr Major, what has happened?” You ask as the Major’s face appears on the video stream overlay.

“Two or rather three important facts have just reached me. The surgeon who survived the blast at the clinic is dead, nobody saw or heard anything, all we do know is that he was strangled in his apartment between 6 and 10 pm yesterday. According Officer Orłowski and his team that is, but my guess is they are right about the timeframe. The tapes from various CCTV cameras show nothing, at least at first glance.”

“This is bad news indeed Herr Major, what else has happened?”

“On a hunch Orłowski sent a team to the assistant’s home, she’s also dead, the cause is the same. Nobody saw or heard anything, they policemen found her dead on the sofa with the TV turned on.”

“They wanted them both dead, but why? Did Orłowski talk to any of them before they were killed?”

“He called them both, but they said they know nothing. He thinks they may have been lying as they were nervous for some reason when talking to him, but it was just a cop’s hunch as he called it. Nothing to bother us with anyway. Either way there is a possibility that they knew too much or helped with the bombing somehow. Either that or simply stress as they did manage to miraculously survive an attack.”

“Anything else Herr Major?”

“The lab technicians wanted to thank Gefreiter Laukaitis for the samples, they were very well preserved. They sent in their report, it was a home-brewed nitropenta based explosive mixed with a plasticizer. The Gefreiter made some notes on where he found the samples and compared them to the damage done. There were multiple charges, linked to detonate at once and cause maximum damage with a minimal use of explosive material.”

“An awful lot of effort for a terrorist attack Herr Major, not to mention fairly expensive. They had to know where to place the charges, only somebody with a lot of experience could have done it that fast. This had to be a professional with either governmental or corporate backing. The question is which.”

“Russians are the most likely, but even then you have at least three governments that could be responsible. Add to that the number of Oligarchs with a grudge, along with enough money and power, and you have a dozen or so potential suspects.”

“Assuming they were Russians.”

“Who else Frau Feldwebel?”

“It could have been Fuchs’ competitors.”

“They’re corporate, if they paid for an attack like that they would have targeted R&D or another critical part of Fuchs’ business like an assembly line. Hitting one clinic wouldn’t be worth the trouble. Jihadists are also out of the question. It could have been a well funded and organized group like NoMech, GLL or similar. But if it was then we have no leads as to how to find them, at least with the evidence we gathered yet. Either way investigate this further. I want the people responsible captured or killed. ”

“Affirmative Herr Major, Westgard out.”

You wonder if this case isn’t another example of your tendency to pick overly ambitious goals. No solid leads so far and a long list of suspects many of which most likely have a name like Dmitri or Vladimir. Still, there are quite a few Russians around and some of them powerful, like in the local office of Khomyak Petroleum.

There are two dead bodies somehow related to the bombing. You will…
A)…check in with Orłowski, see if you can help his men find any signs of break-in or other clues at the apartments of either the Surgeon or the Assistant.
B)…look very closely at the footage from the cameras in the Surgeon’s apartment building’s neighborhood.
C)…ask the close friends and relatives of the deceased employees if they heard or seen anything suspicious. Something that might have linked them to the attackers.
D)…ignore their deaths for now, go to the DSE and see what you can learn there.
E)…ignore their deaths for now, have a *chat* with Robert Wis about his White Eagle friend.
F)…ignore their deaths for now, ask the Russian refugees in the camp if they heard of or seen anyone who might have been a Russian agent.

You also have two military cyborg-hackers from the ECK at your disposal, maybe they could help you by…
1)…investigating the DSE power outage. With all those augmentations they can probably handle that task alone.
2)…checking the security footage from the cameras in the Surgeon’s apartment building’s neighborhood.
3)…scouring the data contents of the deceased clinic employees’ computers and other devices for clues.
4)…thoroughly checking the past and present of all Khomyak Petroleum employees with a corporate passport.
5)…not doing anything. Let them monitor the Net activity in the TSZ as they usually do, maybe they’ll pick up something.

Once again you may pick four people out of the following squad members to accompany you, the rest stays with the unteroffizier:
Beauvis, Mazowiecka, Osterhagen, Smith, Borg, Laukaitis, Bosch, Richter.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
A2 Laukaitis,Borg,Richter,Smith

A because I trust the old fart's instinct may be right and 2 because the ECK guys will, most likely, find something in that security footage. The only alternative that I would pick instead of 2, is 1, all the rest being, most likely, a waste of time as far as this investigation is concerned.

Laukaitis - he seems to know his way around explosives and explosive devices, which may prove useful
Borg - best shooter available, and we may get into a situation where we have to shoot some motherfuckers
Richter - he may be the worst shooter ever, but he got here either by being well connected, which could prove useful, or by having some yet unknown skills, which, again, could prove useful
Smith - random red shirt

Monty

Arcane
A1 Laukaitis,Borg,Richter,Smith

We really need to be more focused in terms of our time and resources if we're going to get to the bottom of this (before the leads go cold). So far we've investigated an annoying journalist and a staff member who wasn't even on duty at the time of the incident.

I think the two best leads we have left are the power company and the assassinated surgeon/assistant. With the fortunate addition of the ECK hackers we can cover both, so I suggest sending the ECK team to tackle the power outage, while we investigate the surgeon/assistant. It's a toss-up between A and B, as we'll be looking for something Orlowski's initial investigation missed, either on the premises or on the CCTV footage. I'm leaning towards A as I think there's more possibility they missed a physical clue, but from the description it seems the CCTV wasn't checked out too thoroughly so this is a tough decision.

In terms of team members, I agree with Skuphundaku's reasoning. Will be interesting to throw Richter into action and see what happens.

Erebus

Arcane
Might be a good idea to tell the bank cashier about what happened to the surgeon and his assistant. He refused to talk to us previously, but he still might get killed just to make sure he doesn't change his mind.

Anyway : A1 and I agree with the team mentioned above.

Bloodshifter

Educated

We really need to be more focused in terms of our time and resources if we're going to get to the bottom of this (before the leads go cold). So far we've investigated an annoying journalist and a staff member who wasn't even on duty at the time of the incident.

I think the two best leads we have left are the power company and the assassinated surgeon/assistant. With the fortunate addition of the ECK hackers we can cover both, so I suggest sending the ECK team to tackle the power outage, while we investigate the surgeon/assistant. It's a toss-up between A and B, as we'll be looking for something Orlowski's initial investigation missed, either on the premises or on the CCTV footage. I'm leaning towards A as I think there's more possibility they missed a physical clue, but from the description it seems the CCTV wasn't checked out too thoroughly so this is a tough decision.

In terms of team members, I agree with Skuphundaku's reasoning. Will be interesting to throw Richter into action and see what happens.

This

Stygian Lurker

Liturgist

This.

Hellraiser

Arcane
The results, an expected landslide:

aaaaaa
b

and Laukaitis, Borg, Richter, Smith

Here's a "newer" augmented piece of Brazilian journalism, to help you wait for what the ECK hackers find in the next chapter:

brasiliatribune6v3.png

I figured it lacked ads considering this is a megacorp-ruled (to a certain degree) cyberpunk setting. Shockingly, despite completely making up the name Xin-Zheng, there are people actually named like that and there is also a city named liked that. So I managed to find Chinese symbols for it that way.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Chapter VII

The sound of raindrops echoes in the surgeon’s apartment. A busy crowd of criminal science experts roams inside of it.
“Did you find anything officer?” You ask as you approach Officer Orłowski.

“Nothing, a few skin flakes and hairs which might belong to somebody else, but they could have been left by someone other than the assassin.” He replies. “The guy was a professional.”

“What makes you say that?”

“There’s nothing on any of the cameras, he must have found the blind spots. We don’t know how he or she got inside, no sign of forced entry no sign that the victim noticed and tried to fight back. Definitely caught by surprise, one moment he’s jacked into the Net, the next somebody is strangling him with a garrote.”

“So he was jacked in?”

“Yeah, he was watching some new TV series and mind-typing comments. According to the log he started watching an episode at 20:03. Died somewhere between then and 21:03 judging by the length of the vid with commercials.”

“What about the assistant?”

“Same thing, the victim was watching TV, somebody started strangling her. She dropped her phone, which she most likely held in her arms, tried to resist. The only thing she achieved was knocking a few pillows aside.”

“Highly trained killers, could have been some sort of crime syndicate, but the manager didn’t mention having any trouble with those.”

“None of the local ones have hitmen like this. Maybe back in Germany or Italy, but they lack a motive. Fuchs would have reported any problems with the mob if they had them.”

“Yes, it doesn’t appear like he was hiding anything. Which means we either have agents or a corp war on our hands.”

A familiar icon interrupts your conversation with the old cop, somebody is calling you. You answer it, the image shows Adam McKay and his cyber-goggles staring at the camera.

“You’re already at the DSE?” You’re surprised by how quickly he got there.

“You underestimate our efficiency, not only have we arrived at the location, we also found out who did this.” He replies in a typical machine-like monotone he is so fond of.

“So soon?”

“The infiltrator was mediocre, good enough to hack into the power grid controls, but too sloppy when it comes to erasing traces. Unluckily for him, he also used some of the proxies the ECK has infiltrated or set up over the years.”

“So where is he?”

“Toledo, Spain. Hard to pinpoint an exact address without access to the local Net Cluster Node.”

“Spain? Scheisse!”

“Pardon for interrupting Madame Feldwebel, but what’s so bad about this? It could have been worse, the bloke could have been in the middle of the Urals.” Gefreiter Sarah Smith cuts in.

“The Spanish Government is unlikely to extradite him, they’ll most likely tell us to fuck off - pardon my language.”

“So our options are limited then?” Sarah asks.

“I’ll talk to Garrison Command Gefreiter, odds are the general or even the Chancellor will decide how we’ll deal with the hacker from Spain.

“Bloody politics.”

“I share your sentiment Gefreiter. Herr McKay, is there any way you can learn who is the hacker is working for?”

“Assuming he is incompetent and has incriminating evidence on the terminal he uses to jack in and hack, yes.” He explains, needless to say he is not amused by such a question. “But odds are he will notice or he’s prepared even if he does keep the data on the terminal he used to hack the DSE. He can get spooked and then he runs and wipes the data, probably using an EMP cannon. That would leave us with no way to find him. For the moment I know he’s in Toledo and unaware of what we know, this may change.”

A few hours later you discussed the issue with the Major and even the General. They’re not exactly pleased with what they heard.

“If we hack him he runs, unless we get lucky.” General Gunther Vogler comments. “If we ask Spain they’ll outright refuse, to remind us how much they liked all the debt the EU has gotten them into in the past as a “financial recovery” package. Or they’ll wrap the whole thing in so much red tape, that the case ends up in limbo until we die out of old age.”

“Spain is a mess, they have Jihadists from France and Morocco getting weapons in and out as they please. We could smuggle in a team by sea, get to Toledo using local means of transport. We’ll just need some local currency.” The Major suggests.

“If they get discovered, the repercussions could be far-reaching. I won’t risk sending in special forces, neither will the Chancellor.”

“Herr General, they can’t stop a bunch of towel-wearing shaheeds from getting inside with weapons, we don’t need to send in commandos. Feldwebel Westgard’s team should suffice.”

“Herr Major, are you sure?” You ask surprised by this suggestion.

“You know how to operate behind enemy lines, you also have experience fighting Jihadists. With luck you won’t even need to fire a single bullet, just stay low until Toledo. Once there plug an Entanglement Uplink into the local network, McKay and a few other SysOps will handle it from there and find where exactly the Hacker is hiding. Find him, drag him into a vehicle we’ll get you in Toledo, drive all the way to the coast and onto a boat, cruise to Marseille. Simple really.”

“An interesting plan Herr Major, still I will let Frau Westgard decide if she wants to face the potential consequences if it fails. Or if she has her own suggestions as to how to deal with this.” The General replies.

There is a hacker in Toledo who may lead you closer to the truth, you will…
1)…use official channels to have the Spanish Government send him to you, by asking very nicely.
2)…have the hackers try to hack into his system, maybe they’ll recover something. Or spook him and get nothing.
3)…sign up for operation “Hacker Kidnap”. Secretly get to Spain via ship and from the coast to Toledo to kidnap the hacker.
4)…ask K3s13r to try and hack into his system. He owes you that one favor after all.
5)…focus on other things and ignore him. This hacker business sounds nasty.

Hacker or no hacker there are still things to be done in the TSZ.
A) Interrogate Robert Wis.
B) Wait for the lab techs to finish analyzing the samples from the two assassinations. Go patrol Heibuden with your squad.
C) Wait for the lab techs to finish analyzing the samples from the two assassinations. Go patrol Saspe
with your squad.
D) Wait for the lab techs to finish analyzing the samples from the two assassinations. Go patrol Oliva with your squad.

E) Watch the footage recorded by the cameras near the surgeon’s apartments.
F) Ask around if any of the Russian Refugees heard or seen something about potential agents.
G) Convince the Major to let you see how the recruits handle driving and shooting from the Neinmask Sieben Transportpanzer.

If they are not otherwise occupied (choices 2 and 3) the ECK hackers will…
V)…check the security footage from the cameras in the Surgeon’s apartment building’s neighborhood.
X)…analyze the data contents of the deceased clinic employees’ computers and other devices for clues.
Y)…thoroughly check the past and present of all Khomyak Petroleum employees with a corporate passport.
Z)…not doing anything. Let them monitor the Net activity in the TSZ as they usually do, maybe they’ll pick up something.

Erebus

Arcane
Toledo's in the fricking middle of Spain, so leaving the country with the guy isn't going to be the easiest part of the job. Do we even speak Spanish ?

Bloodshifter

Educated
4GZ
4-No point in just getting a hacker who may or may not know the reason why he did the job.

G-Testing and finding our getaway driver now would help when we get further into this mess.

Z-No need to currently pester the ECK unless we discover something new

Hellraiser

Arcane
Do we even speak Spanish?

No but neither do the jihadists and that doesn't stop them from blowing stuff up there. Your job isn't to talk, it's to get in, grab the guy and get out. Granted you need to plug in the uplink so the ECK can find where the guy is hiding and that is the riskiest part. Still, you don't want to be adeptus kitchenus now do you?

:troll:

Monty

Arcane
This is getting complicated, will have to think a bit more before voting. We should definitely take a closer look at the CCTV footage at some stage though.

I can't help feeling a bit suspicious about the hacker. The assassins were top-notch, while the hacker was mediocre. Doesn't seem to fit and could be a red herring or a trap. Or perhaps I've just read too many double-crossing Len Deighton novels.

edit: Can't agree with voting Z though. We currently have the ECK team at our disposal so should make the most of them. They could at least check the CCTV footage for tampering or anything the original review missed, but surely x or y would also be better than the 'do nothing' option.

Baltika9

Arcane
3G. Let's go to Spain.
And since we will be deeply involved with all thing motortransportive, we'll need the practice.
Save that favor for later, when we really need it.

Monty

Arcane
Baltika9: Don't think you can vote for Z if you're voting 3. V-Z are only available if the ECK team aren't being used, and options 2 and 3 make use of them already.

laclongquan

Arcane
I think there's two group operating in a piggy-backed manner here. Possibly one anarchy group who just intended to mess around and agents who want to disguise a corp attack by that messing.

3. Some ackshun here
g. Because it's time for a little training
y. Because the foreign connections might lead to something useful on either group.

Erebus

Arcane
3D

There are plenty of ways the mission in Spain can (and probably will) go horribly wrong, but not going would make Ilsa look weak to her superiors. More importantly, I'm sure it'll be fun.

The security footage may hold interesting clues, but I doubt that our heroine can find them by herself. Let's patrol Oliva and see if criminals really do come back to the scene of their crime.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom