Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europareich 2057 - A Cyberpunk CYOA

laclongquan

Arcane
I dont think we will be allowed to change the rule on the fly like that. More than likely we will be overruled and demoted for acting above our pay grade. Plus that could very well lead increasing firearm presence in the camp WITHOUT deescalating tension. The ban has one use, it make sure no obvious big gun. Without it, you might well get ambushed with a barrage of RPGs.

I am more inclined with last option, but I dont want to vote yet.

Esquilax

Arcane
E

Skorzeny needs some support. The "If you don't like it here" argument may be rather childish, but mobs are childish. Reminding them that their situation was even worse in Russia (and implying that they might get sent back there if they make too much trouble here) might calm them down for now. Even if it fails to work, it won't make the situation any worse than doing nothing would.

Bingo, you are absolutely right Erebus.

Guys, we cannot afford to do nothing. Skorzeny is clearly good at his job - the fact that he's working at a rough place like Heibuden and still managing to lock up murderers and rapists is a testament to his badassery - and he is doing his best, so we need to back our bro up here.

Read this situation again:

“Sir, I have to ask you to hand over that weapon. Firearms are not permitted inside the camp.” Skorzeny says.

“No! You cannot protect me or any of us, it is our right to protect ourselves, especially if this Europareich of yours is incapable of doing so! I am keeping my gun whether you like it or not.”

The crowd applauds him, clearly they have lost faith in the Army’s ability to maintain order.

“Sir this is your last warning, I will use force to confiscate your weapon if you resist.” Skorzeny explains, the crowd is in an uproar over his words.

“No! I will not let you fascists take away the last guarantee of safety that I have!”

The situation is tense, Skorzeny looks ready to enforce the law. Your squad looks nervous, whatever happens now can potentially get very messy very fast. You need to act now or it may be too late.

You have two men who are armed, one of whom is very emotionally stressed and unpredictable. Does this sound like a situation where doing nothing sounds like a good idea? Our job here is to ensure that the situation doesn't escalate, and I can't throw Skorzeny under the bus like this by putting him in a shitty position through inaction. We want him as a friend.

You have to realize that mobs are ruled by emotion. These immigrants feel unsafe and alienated (justifiably so), but they must have sought refuge here for a reason. If we do nothing, Skorzeny will be forced to shoot this man and we will have failed in our objective. We can't use logic and reason to sway a mob (D) and we certainly can't roll over to the demands of a bunch of refugees as soon as they start getting upset (A). That leaves the classic appeal to emotion (E).

E

oscar

Arcane
If we were inferior to rank to Skorzeny, then by all means we should just shut up and follow his lead but we are his equal and we have a mission objective to help in ensuring the situation doesn't escalate. Those are our orders.

Monty

Arcane
I can't throw Skorzeny under the bus like this by putting him in a shitty position through inaction. We want him as a friend.

You make some good points, but I don't really see option B as 'inaction', more like allowing Skorzeny to take the lead and backing him up. This is his scene after all and we're here to support him. Still, E also seems a good choice, the options I have a real problem with are A and C, which both expose us to plenty of criticism when things inevitably go wrong.

Hellraiser

Arcane
The tally:

BBBB
EEEEEEEE
C

E wins, expect the next chapter tomorrow, here is some more huehuehue propaganda objective journalism from South America:

brasiliatribune4v2.png

Hellraiser

Arcane
Chapter V

"Why don’t you all go back to Russia then?” You intervene, drawing everyone's attention to you. Even Skorzeny turns towards you and listens.

A cacophony of discontent fills the air in the camp.

"This is a scandal!” One refugee yells.

"Is it really? Is it a scandal that we gave you a place to live, providing you with food, medical aid and water? That we try to protect you from attacks like yesterday’s, that we even give you the opportunity to get a decently paying job, as if you were legal residents or citizens?”

The cacophony gets weaker, it appears that some understand what you are trying to say. Or at least they are willing to hear you out.

“Tell me, why aren’t you in Russia now? That’s right there is a war and your government doesn’t really care about helping you. In fact, some of you are here because of it in the first place. How many of you lived in Kaliningrad and seen your homes shelled when the RSR army decided to take back the city, a city which it ran away from as soon as Europareich troops landed there following the destruction of the Russian Baltic Fleet?”

Some of the refugees give up, they walk back to their tents and hab-containers. The remaining ones shout in disapproval over your words, but they're voices are weaker than before.

"How many of you are from the Russian Soviet Republic? Did you see the communists *nationalize* all the belongings you worked so hard for your entire lives? Did you see them force you out of your medium-sized house to turn it into 3-4 apartments for the proletariat, because it was *too big*?" You continue your monologue.

The crowd disperses, some still appear to be utterly dissatisfied by your speech or the murder, but for now the situation has calmed down. Skorzeny takes away the armed refugees weapon, as there is no one around to stop him from doing so and even the man himself has resigned from resisting.

Your squad looks at you relieved that the situation got resolved, it is clear that most of them are as green as grass. Otherwise they would not be so nervous when faced with a potentially hostile and barely armed rioting rabble.

"Frau Westgard, that was rather unexpected but surprisingly effective." Skorzeny congratulates you. "It seems the harsh truth has worked, it could have ended up with a riot."

"My interference Herr Skorzeny might have ended up with a riot as well, we were lucky enough that most of these people have seen enough suffering, and in the end they want stability and safety. I just needed to remind them of it, although some may think less of us our army because of it. I saw a lot of similar situations back in France, people driven from their homes by mujahedin."

"Either way we would have handled it, the camp was designed to contain a potential riot easily just in case even if it got bloody. Still, I appreciate the assistance Frau Westgard."

You spend another hour making sure things calmed down. Eventually the squad regroups, the Unteroffizier returns to the base with half of it. You on the other hand take the team you picked to Müggau where Miss Żuławska lives.

The diesel engine of the Neinmask goes silent, it stops before an apartment building built somewhere in the late teens or early twenties. An odd mixture of communism and capitalism, a chessboard of late XXth century and early XXIst century housing. You think that if you ever decided to resume your history of architecture studies in Oslo, you could write a thesis about this. But that is a goal for more peaceful times, for now you cannot rest until everyone is safe.

Somewhere behind the maze of apartments an S-Bahn train just stopped at the nearby station, you wait for the *experts* who rode on it to arrive. You can see them walking towards you, it has to be them. No one else could look like that, wearing sleeveless jackets in such cold October weather. But it appears that weather is of little concern to them.

"My god." Gefreiter Mazowiecka mumbles in shock. Henri and Sven try to hide that they're also unnerved by the sight. Oskaras however gazes in amazement at them.

Their eyes and ears are covered by Sidic Inc. Multi-Spectrum headbands grafted onto their skulls. The trendy sleeveless leather jackets reveal a pair of Prateek Pro-Tech utility limbs, a plethora of smaller extendible dextri-arms with various tools is attached to them. A bunch of cables is hanging around their necks, already plugged into their neural-interface I/O ports connected to their spinal cords. No doubt they want to start working as soon as possible.

"Feldwebel Westagard I presume? The name is Adam McKay, Europa Cyber-Krieg SysOp." One of the two experts introduces himself.

"And I am Paul Strauss, ECK data analyst." The other one says.

"They sent in a SysOp?" You ask surprised. "It's only one wannabe journo, she didn't think much about hiding her views. With that kind of attitude I doubt she was the kind of person to use the latest in encryption."

"This task requires efficiency, a potential problem left unsolved can cause a major disruption to a system. The system must be stable, flawless." Adam replies in a cold machine-like monotone.

"Surely Herr Strauss alone would have been enough." You tell him.

"My performance is not yet optimal, I need real-time feedback to improve my efficiency." Paul explains.

Anna looks like she's not paying attention, she keeps looking around nervously for some reason. Perhaps she has an issue with the very transhuman nature of the experts.

"Very well, you are the experts here. We'll take care of everything that isn't digital in the apartment."

"Agreed, let us proceed then." The SysOp replies.

You take the elevator to the 9th floor, there you find apartment number 93. You knock on the door, a young woman with obviously dyed red hair, no doubt another student, opens the door.

"Yes? What do you want." She asks irritated.

"We require access to your habitation chambers. As this hard-copy proves, you are legally obliged to comply with our request and cooperate or face severe punishment." McKay explains as he shows them a search warrant. Henri groans upon hearing what Adam just said or rather how he said it.

"Who is that?" A male voice asks from some room in the back.

"The Cyber-Gestapo, who else." The redhead answers.

"Tell them to fuck off and go recharge themselves in whatever assembly line they came from." The male voice suggests.

"It seems Herr McKay has made some new friends." Sven jokes, the rest of the squad seems to agree with his snide comment. McKay himself however appears to have been completely oblivious to it.

"I am Ida Westgard, Feldwebel of the Europa Bundesreich Army." You shout. "If you do not let us in, I will be forced to arrest you and use force if necessary. Needless to say I have four soldiers with assault rifles to back me up. They may be fresh off basic training, but they're eager to see how their guns fare against moving targets."

"Come in." She says as if she just had to admit defeat.

The ECK experts quickly locate all the mainframes, laptops and other devices of interest in the apartment. They jam their cables into the appropriate ports interfacing with the devices. In a trance-like state they explore the data. As they focus on the data you search the apartment for something more material. Your squad observes closely.

Eventually you find some documents related to Miss Żuławska's life. School diplomas, certificates from school journalism contests, nothing even remotely suggesting that she is anything other than a nascent news vulture, hunting for scoop to sell to the highest media corp bidder.

"We are done here." The SysOp proclaims.

"So soon Herr McKay?" You ask surprised.

"We are efficient when it comes to gathering data, however the data will still need to be analyzed. My report will be sent tomorrow. There is no need for us to remain here."

"In that case I want to thank you for your help."

"Your thanks are not required, however I will give you a piece of feedback. Investigating this Żuławska , when the DSE admins continue fail to identify the cause of yesterday's malfunction, is an inefficient way of trying to research the incident. For better future cooperation, I suggest you improve your efficiency and use of resources. Using my time on this task is illogical."

The experts leave the apartment, Mazowiecka sighs in relief for some reason. You continue your search, but despite spending two hours there you find nothing useful. If there was anything at all, it must have been on one of the computers. It's 17:34 according to your HUD's clock, the day isn't over yet.

You will...
A)...visit the DSE power company, call the "experts" from ECK to assist you in finding out what happened there. This will delay their analysis of Żuławska's data.
B)...visit the DSE power company, don't call the experts yet, see what you can find out on your own.
C)...visit the clinic's surgeon in his apartment, ask him what he saw.
D)...visit the surgeon's assistant in her apartment, ask her what she saw.
E)...take the Neinmask for an off-road drive in Quaschin while you have a chance. See how the rookies drive the transportpanzer.
F)...get back to base, talk to Richter regarding his accuracy and training.
G)...get back to base, talk to Gefreiter Mazowiecka about her views on cybernetic augmentations.
H)…talk to the manager and the other shift working at the Fuchs Implant Saloon and Clinic.

Ida Westgard has gained a trait:

Fearless public speaker - no matter how angry the rabble before you is, you have no problem telling them what you want to tell them. Whether or not they will like it is a different matter, but your message *will* be heard.

Monty

Arcane
C - We really need to speak to someone who was in the clinic during the incident. Even if he was inside and didn't see the bomb being thrown, perhaps someone had threatened the clinic earlier in the shift, perhaps there was a disgruntled customer, perhaps he noticed someone suspicious when he arrived for his shift. It seems illogical to ignore him during our investigation.

And good work by those who voted E last time.

Erebus

Arcane
The surgeon and his assistant were probably having sex somewhere and did not see anything. I'm voting H.

Baltika9

Arcane
E
With the frequency the Neinmask being brought up, I get the feeling it will be very important.j?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
A the Cyber Gestapo has right, we have to find some solid evidence and the witness will lie to us or don't know shit... Don't see why we have to get back to base to talk with Ana... using bathroom break would suffice.

Esquilax

Arcane
Woah, I thought I had voted here, but I forgot. These "experts" are really fucking creepy. It was interesting to see the difference in how our squad reacted to them:

"My god." Gefreiter Mazowiecka mumbles in shock. Henri and Sven try to hide that they're also unnerved by the sight. Oskaras however gazes in amazement at them.

I think that if we're smart, we could learn a lot at the DSE power-plant, and I believe that it's probably our best bet for clues at the moment. The "experts" however, seem to be incredibly conspicuous and considering that we're probably dealing with a terrorist group that hates augmentation, might not be a bright idea to bring two robotic abominations along with us.

Also, we have an ace up our sleeve - k3s13r:

Yes, using K3s13r for digging up stuff regarding the "malfunction" of the power grid is a possibility. But whether it will be a better choice than the others depends on what you will learn at Deutsche Strom und Energie.

Provided we make smart decisions in the power plant, we could start getting to the bottom of this.

Then again, H is also great as well. The other manager is probably familiar with the security measures of the company, and probably would have a good idea of the motive behind the attack. In any case, it's a good place to go after the stumble we hit a little bit earlier. While I prefer B, it has no votes, so I'm going for H.

Hellraiser, Oskaras investigated the scene of the crime while we were at the hospital getting stonewalled in our investigation. Did he manage to piece anything together?

H

Rumsfeld

Scholar
If you were investigating an incident like this would you really prioritise someone who wasn't even on the scene (the manager of the next shift) over someone who was there (the surgeon)? Seems strange to me. Sure, we could gain information from either of them depending on what Hellraiser has planned but the priority has to be the survivors - the surgeon or assistant. We need to know if anything out of the ordinary happened during their shift, now that the shock of the incident is receding perhaps they will remember something.

Voting C.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom