Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Europa Universalis IV

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by dbx, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Make America Great Again copx.gender: ⚧ Arcane

copx.
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    I am honestly disappointed that you did not start as Portugal with the goal of forming Brazil and building the great Brazilian Empire.

You lecture us all day about the alleged superiority of Lusitanians and then you play Cucktons..

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughtergender: ⚧ Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    Actually I did, but the game overwhelmed me, so I decided to start smaller.

My next game will be Portugal, of course. :obviously:
    Sadly due to the later start date of EUIV and all those angry Morrocans (did Morroco get boosted?), it seems I will be unable to execute my Castile-screw-over-plan, in which me and Aragon spit-roast Castile. To fight Morroco I will be forced to, argh, ally with those filthy castileans.

^ Top  
  3. I'm With Her Vaarna_Aarnegender: ⚧ for prison Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    Parrots:
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    The Barbary states did get a number of improvements a few expansions back, and due to their close proximity they won't lag behind technology much if at all, so yea they are a notably more dangerous neighbours early game now.

How about you instead ally with them against Castille? Or you just do the secret to succesful early alliances since, well, forever in EU and ally with France?

^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughtergender: ⚧ Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    That's pretty historical actually, from what I remember in the older games, the Barbary states were total glass jaws and Portugal alone could casually rekt Morocco or any of them, and North Africa eventually became pretty much Southern Europe's playground. In history, Europeans could hold the cities in the coast, at best. European domination of North Africa only came when the French shut down the Barbary Coast in the 1820s after taking over Argelia, and that's industrial revolution age already.

Good teching too, not worth it to simply keep them out while colonizing until you get enough money and tech to beat them. Better to knock them down early, I guess.

Yeah they're quite boosted and Granada, Morocco, Tlemcen and Tunisia (also Jolof for some reason) get chummy with each other, so its Portugal and Castile vs all of North Africa.

On second game with Portugal, attacked Morroco quite early, took a while but got what I wanted. Wanted to give a bunch of land to Castille that it considered important, but it didn't want it. Dunno why, weird.

Not sure that would work, maybe if I gave Ceuta back to Morrocos. All of North Africa seems to rival me in my experience.
    Also, Aragon rivals and hates Portugal from the start, because...? I don't know really, seems ahistorical as fuck when I think of it, don't see any reason for Portuguese-Aragonese conflict.

Afraid of bringing France into the Iberian Peninsula, once they take hold, they will never leave. France is unstoppable

^ Top  
  5. traisgender: ⚧ Arcane

trais
    Parrots:
    Just like Hungary and Poland are hard-coded to rival each other, official reason given by devs was that having too stable alliances lead to degenerate gameplay. No, I don't know what that means either.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. I'm With Her Vaarna_Aarnegender: ⚧ for prison Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    Parrots:
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Aside from the historical friend/rival modifier to relations (don't recall that many of those off-hand), generally speaking the best way to control who is your rival and who is not is to up their opinion of you as much as possible. IIRC if it hits above 0 or close enough, the AI will cancel the rivalry. This however can mean that you need to be ready for event based bonuses to the modifier, and make certain not to be cozy with the other rivals or otherwise reduce the opinion (like, for example, being mutual rivals, which nukes opinion so hard the rivalry can only end by power disparity resolving it).

^ Top  
  7. Nirvashgender: ⚧ Learned

Nirvash
    Parrots:
    After a few years the game became harder. ("very" hard is a new setting?)

I gave up my savoia > tall italy game, got most neighbors fast but then did the bullshit mistake of going reformed (since pope keep exc my sorry ass) when france or MASSIVE commowealth always had defender of faith and gigaspain got naples.

Now doing tuscany, can't even find a single ally.

So true, i had morocco and friends kick spain ass 3 times in the early game, i never seen before granada surviving.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again copx.gender: ⚧ Arcane

copx.
    Parrots:
    Defender of the Faith is the title of a ruler, not a country. Just config your message settings so that you get a pausing popup message the moment the DoF dies. You then have a window of opportunity to declare a war while there is no DoF at all.

Alternatively you can also use the oldest trick in the book: indirect war declaration. Just find a target allied to a non-Catholic country and attack that country while setting your actual target as a co-belligerent. This won't call in the DoF.

Last but not least the DoF loses his title when he loses a war. So you want to keep an eye on the DoF's wars too.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)