Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Europa Universalis IV

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by raw, Aug 10, 2012.

1. jaydee2kgender: ⚧ Learned

jaydee2k
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Thought a little handy crack could do it's job and then I could store my copy forever.
    But I guess I have to load the complete game then...

^ Top  
  2. Tigranesgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Rights of Man, are people using it? Does it make a notable difference in diplomacy / peacetime actions? For the good? I know MilesBeyond liked it in this thread, and then some potatoes started arguing about Russian manpower

^ Top  
  3. Grinolfgender: ⚧ Augur

Grinolf
    Parrots:
    Key things were in the patch. DLC add things of convenience (GP actions, almost no regencies for monarchies) which could hardly be classifies as vital for the game, but I personally find very uncomfortable to play without after playing with them. But some of GP actions could feel very gamey, like paying your enemy's ally debt so he will join the war against you. There are also special stuff for Prussia and copts, but I didn't try it, so can't say anything about it.

^ Top  
  4. traisgender: ⚧ Arcane

trais
    Parrots:
    Unless you have a huge hard-on for Prussia then I'd say it's on the "get it while it's on sale" tier of DLC.

Because other than giving Prussia it's own special snowflake type of government the only major things it adds are:
    - Great Powers mechanics, which means you can sporadically fuck with top nations if you manage to become one yourself. And do some other stuff with smaller ones, like tell them to break one of their alliances, or pay off their debts for them. But it's very situational and overall kinda bare-bones.
    - gives rulers personalities which translates to minor boni or mali, depending on whether or not RNG likes you and chooses a positive or negative personality traits for your kings.
    - adds consorts, who are generally useless, but occasionally provide a minor bonus and can rule instead of regency councils.

^ Top  
  5. vmargender: ⚧ Learned

vmar
    Parrots:
    I think it's worth it but some of the great power actions do seem a little overpowered. I did a Ming game and was able to get weaker nations to break alliances pretty much whenever I wanted so I could 1v1 them with my massive army or fight their bigger ally without interference. Taking on bigger countries was a lot easier since I could just force their allies to break alliances before declaring war. You get a truce when you force a break, but the AI usually didn't re-ally the same nation before the truce was up, so I could chip away at larger nations and conquer their smaller allies during truce time. Lan Xang in particular kept allying with the same 2 nations and I'd just break their alliances every time before I eventually wiped them out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. thesheeepgender: ⚧ Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    Agreed. The great power mechanics seem absurdly overpowered. At least the ally canceling.

^ Top  
  7. Grinolfgender: ⚧ Augur

Grinolf
    Parrots:
    It's not just that they don't want to renew an alliance, but they simply can't do it. Similarly to "Annul Treaties" peace deal it not just annul current treaties, but prevents new deals to be made between two chosen targets for about a duration of an average truce. It also affects player if he or his ally is target of such peace deal or GP action.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Delteriusgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Parrots:
    The thing is that there aren't other Great Powers near Ming. In Europe you'd be trying to break a minor's alliance with another Great Power, which I think is generally harder to do. Or at least it should be.

^ Top  
  9. vmargender: ⚧ Learned

vmar
    Parrots:
    I figured Ming's power compared to the rest of Asia probably had something to do with why the AI did everything I told them to do. Still, even towards mid/late game when I blobbed enough to share a border with Russia, I was able to break some of their alliances too and they were a GP.

I feel like playing in Europe would (hopefully) make it more difficult to get the AI to listen but since the dlc dropped I've only done the Ming game and like 50 years of a Commonwealth game so I don't really have anything else to compare it with.

^ Top  
  10. Delteriusgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughtergender: ⚧ Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  12. Delteriusgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  13. I'm With Her SausageInYourFacegender: ⚧ for prison Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Repost from GoG thread to maybe get an opinion or two. Sale is still going on for about a day.

^ Top  
  14. AwesomeButtongender: ⚧ Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I could never stomach the blocky graphics of EU3, moved straight from AGCEEP to EUIV, but I guess you need more informed advice than that.

For the Glory is in my opinion the best EU, if you are looking for a historical simulation. It's the highest form of the so called deterministic style, before they moved to the guided sandbox of EUIV. Which btw is becoming progressively more and more guided with each next patch and dlc.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again Average Manateegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Parrots:
    EU3 is good. The most simulationist and overall best systems IMO (EU4 takes EU3's systems and gets rid of them or goes really gamey). On the other hand it generates the worst border gore imaginable as the AI pretty much randomly expands anywhere, though some mods can fix that.

EU2/FTG is alright but it is definitely very deterministic. You can't even gain cores on territory other than by scripted events. It's also a rather cumbersome UI if you are used to more modern games.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Mortmalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Mortmal
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  17. Andnjordgender: ⚧ Cipher

Andnjord
    Parrots:
    So, are any of you guys aware of the MEIOU 2.0 development? It's looking like it would bring some much needed incline to the hodgepodge of disconnected mechanics EUIV has been suffering from for a long time. For goodness sake, they're bringing pops into the game, living (and dying) pops! Famine, looting and plague that can actually wreck continents if you put your mind to it! Independent estates that raise their own armies and have their own income based on the autonomy of the province they control! Distinction between urban and rural population with their respective bonuses and maluses (China and India might start making sense)! Dynamic centers of trade and important cities modifiers that can be lost of won depending on the situation! If you raze Venice to the ground and depopulate it (which you can actually do) it will lose it's 'important centre of trade' modifier and another city might gain it!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...g-meiou-pop-overhaul-progress-reports.952020/ for reference on the development.

Compared to the Veritas and Fortitudo mod that has gone all but dead since a while and is stuck a couple of patches ago and Vanilla that keeps devolving into 'spend x monarch mana to gain 5% modifier for 5 years' nonsense this could just save the Europa Universalis franchise for me.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. AwesomeButtongender: ⚧ Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It will be at least a year until they polish and balance it, and it's not even clear when it will be released... I am kind of split between playing vanilla with ironman-compatible mods, and playing M&T with my modifications (to armies cost/upkeep, siege and combat phases). M&T + Terra orbis terrarum is pretty good for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. rezafgender: ⚧ Savant

rezaf
    Parrots:
    I agree, but I feel AGC was better in the days before they merged with EEP. Playing as some nations, it's now ridiculous how many events you get to guide your path.
    I'm a big fan of the "living historybook" approach of EU1/EU2 and never bough into the notion that you are forced into playing in a certain way by the game, but there are exceptions or at least border-cases in AGCEEP. Playing as Japan, for example, has a ton of -6 stability event nonsense going on.

That said, I still miss the true historical feel in EU4. I recently watched a LP by Arumba, and he's an impersonation of everything I dislike about the new model. No matter where he starts, no matter who he plays, it's always the same motions - expand and westernize, then expand more. Exploit mechanics when possible. Once every 50 years, get an event that's not TOTALLY generic (and in many cases these events are just as vulnerable to making no sense whatsoever in the grand scheme of things than AGCEEP events are) and deal with it in a min-maxing manner.
    I mean, the dude even pops out the calculator quite regularly. I really dug having actual historical events occur instead of these generic shenanigans. Ah well, those days are gone forever, I guess. But maybe I should do a FtG campaign again at some point.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. MilesBeyondgender: ⚧ Savant

MilesBeyond
    Parrots:
    Wanted to share this: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Europa_Universalis_4_Wiki:Tiers

My preferred tool for choosing which country to play next. It ranks the countries not based on their power but rather based on how much flavour and unique events/mechanics/decisions they have (although most of the top list contains the most powerful countries anyway). Most of the top tier countries have some really interesting things going on, and I'd recommend playing as each of them, even if most of them are EZ mode.

I don't think it's been updated for Rights of Man, so I would bump Prussia up a rank or two.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. SymbolicFrankgender: ⚧ Liturgist

SymbolicFrank
    Parrots:
    Too-Many-Arbitrary-Restrictions!!!

With every new DLC this has been downgraded, from "fun but flawed" to "unplayable unless you use a modded, custom nation, and the console a lot to go around all the irritating and frustrating stuff".

Their design process seems to be like this:

"Hey, I thought up this cool new mechanic!"

"Well, yes, it's cool, but it makes things too straightforward. We need a list of arbitrary restrictions that make it frustrating and nearly useless."

Any realism went out of the window with CKII and the notion of "De jure", which means to them: everything has to be as it will be in a thousand years. The player is not allowed to make some nice country, with it's own laws and consisting of the territories he happens to control. Because that's not how it ended up in the history books! Fuck you, player! Not allowed!

That just eliminated any notion the player might have to make any impact in shaping history...

Realism in any shape or form was scrapped long ago.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Lone Wolfgender: ⚧ Arcane

Lone Wolf
    Parrots:
    The much bigger problem for me is that - since 1.18 - auto-saves and saves are corrupted once you're twenty or so years in (mainly with the big mods; Expanded Timeline and MEIOU). Meaning, I've lost 40-50 years of progress a fair few times, because you then have to reload a manual save from before the corruption. Fucking bullshit. They're aware of it, too, so hopefully it gets fixed with 1.19.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    ^ Top  
  23. MilesBeyondgender: ⚧ Savant

MilesBeyond
    Parrots:
    Hey, I hope you guys are sitting there thinking "Gee, I hope someone replies to my two-month-old posts."

I absolutely love it for the intervention alone. It really makes considerations about the balance of power a much bigger part of the game. For those who don't know, if a war has at least one great power on each side, and one side has more great powers than the other, you can intervene in the war on the side that has less great powers. Basically, EU's problem is that it's pretty much completely about war, but blobbing can quickly become boring. Intervention Wars give you a reason to go to war that won't result in you blobbing (probably) but rather are more focused on making sure no one else gets too powerful, which I enjoy.

Hmm, it's a tough call. EU3 has sliders instead of EU4's monarch points. MP are completely arbitrary, game-y, abstract concepts that don't really make sense from a historical perspective, but I prefer them from a mechanical standpoint. They force a lot of decisions as you'll always have less than you need. EU4 also has a lot more flavour, with a lot more in terms of unique events, decisions, and missions for countries. National Ideas might be the biggest thing, though. In EU3, nations within a religious or tech group are essentially identical outside of their starting situations. In EU4, every nation has a different set of national ideas and traditions that distinguishes them. This is both a positive and a negative - it makes the game more interesting and provides more variety, but it also makes the game more deterministic. For the player it's not a big deal because you can just pursue a strategy that doesn't synergize with your NIs, but for AI nations...

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Luzurgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    Parrots:
    Paradox announced its latest DLC for EU4:

^ Top  
  25. MadMaxHellfiregender: ⚧ Magister

MadMaxHellfire
    Parrots:
    is this divine wind all over again?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)