Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Europa Universalis IV

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by raw, Aug 10, 2012.

1. MadMaxHellfiregender: ⚧ Magister

MadMaxHellfire
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    last time i tried, ex-portugal colonies became my direct vassals, crippling my diplomatic mana. maybe it's been fixed/changed.
    not that i care now, i've had enough of plaing spaniards :V

^ Top  
  2. Sophgender: ⚧ Educated

Soph
    Parrots:
    I might do this one.. was halfway with a campaign until Paradox decided to add an update to Scandinavia this month, so suspended for now.

Trebizond achievement I have. Theodoro I remember playing with a few times already, their colour absolutely rocks. Still need the achievement, sounds like fun. Especially with the new Ottoman OPness and the possible early Crimean March event for them.

Got that achievement as well, highly recommendable, lots of fun!

I guess my next game will be Theodoro.

^ Top  
  3. Delteriusgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Parrots:
    Hmmm, what about Granada? I used to have lots of fun colonizing the USA as a hispanic muslim and then Re-Reconquistaing.

One game I just had lots of fun with was restoring Zoroastrian Persia as Tabarestan. I had to somehow conquer Yazd before the Timurids ever got around converting it.

^ Top  
  4. Sophgender: ⚧ Educated

Soph
    Parrots:
    Granada is fun, I remember when this used to be one of the hardest achievements to get. People would try and flee to Africa / India / America before Castille gobbled them up and then came back when they were strong. I got it through normal means by jumping on Castille when they were busy with Aragon.

Played Zoroastrian once, to rekindle the royal flames.. think I started with just Yazd as a custom nation. I like playing in that region for some reason. This is Persia is also fun!

^ Top  
  5. Space Satangender: ⚧ Arcane

Space Satan
    Parrots:
    EUIV, adding four ages, major rework
    Show Spoiler

Hello everyone and welcome to yet another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. Today we’ll talk about the biggest feature of our next expansion. A system we called “Ages of Europa Universalis”.

The game is now divided into 4 separate ages, where different rules apply in each age. Each age also have objectives you can fulfill, and abilities you can use use.

• Age of Discovery => 1400 -1530
    • Age of Reformation => 1530 - 1620
    • Age of Absolutism => 1620 - 1710
    • Age of Revolutions => 1710-1821

Each age have seven objectives that can be fulfilled, and if they are fulfilled, you gain +3 power-projection as well as 3 splendor each month.

Now you may ask? What is splendor then? Well.. Splendor is the age specific currency you use to purchase abilities. There are seven abilities in each age that each country can purchase, and there is also four unique abilities in each age, where countries that historically were powerful in that age can unlock a special ability.

Whenever a new Age arrives, you power projection from objectives start decaying, and you now lose all the abilities you purchased in the previous age.

Today we’ll take a look at the Age of Discovery, which is the first Age.

[​IMG]

Rules
    Religious Rules are valid. (Previously before 1650)
    Peasants War, Castilian Civil War, War of the Roses can only happen in this Age.

Objectives
    1. Capital in old world, discover Americas
    2. Own Territory on two continents
    3. Embrace Renaissance and keep it in all state provinces.
    4. Own a 30+ development city
    5. Own 5 Centers of Trade
    6. Have at least 2 personal unions.
    7. Humiliate a Rival
    Abilities
    • Allow Edict “Feudal De Jure Law”
    • Transfer vassal wargoal
    • Create a claim bordering claims
    • 50% longer lasting claims.
    • Explorers & Conquistadors do not cost maintenance while on missions.
    • Finished colonies gets +1 random development.
    • Gain +1 attack bonus in your capital's terrain type
    • Ottomans : +33% Siege Ability
    • Portugal : +50 colonial growth
    • Denmark : 30 less liberty desire in subjects.
    • Venice : +50% Trade Power from Ships

Another cool concept we have related to the Age mechanics is the Golden Era. A golden era can be started once per game for a country, as soon as you have fulfilled 3 objectives in an Age, and lasts for 50 years.

A golden age gives you 10% cheaper costs for anything you spend monarch power on, your land and naval morale increase by 10%, and you produce 10% more goods.

The free patch keeps track of which age the game is in, and uses it for triggers for disasters and events.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Beastrogender: ⚧ Magister

Beastro
    Parrots:
    If they could combine that with some mechanics to make the player's empire hard to keep together and prone to collapse would make those goals more appealing to aim for before the inevitable fall.

^ Top  
  7. traisgender: ⚧ Arcane

trais
    Parrots:
    WTF is that shit. This whole concept is gamey as fuck, but I could live if it was made well. But it's not, it's made of pure weapon-grade stupid.

For a starters, the goals make no sense. Discovering the Americas in the Age of Discovery or controlling center of trades are ok, fine. But why would having a 2 PUs would also be one of those, other than as a welfare gift for Denmark and possibly Castille, Poland or Austria? Or humiliating rival for that matter, how is that something specifically related to this period of time?

Abilities you can gain from fulfilling those arbitrary mini-achievements are also unbalanced as hell. The country specific ones are something I don't even. +33% siege ability for Ottomans? Yeah sure, they were in a dire need of yet another combat buff :roll: Can't wait to see what later eras have for Prussia.
    But the generic ones are not much better. Transfer Vassal wargoal? That should be a standard for every feudal nation. Nonetheless it's a great peace treaty option to have. OTOH, stuff like 50% longer lasting claims, whoopty-fucking-fiddly-do. Creating a claim or two from thin air already takes only a couple of years for a single diplomat, and there's literally no point in having more of them at a time, because even if you could beat your enemy badly enough to take more in a single war, the coring costs and Aggressive Expansion will bite you in the ass if you're gonna do that.

Thankfully, this looks like a DLC material, so it's gonna be like Sunset Invasion one for CK2 - skip and never look back.

^ Top  
  8. LizardWizardgender: ⚧ Savant

LizardWizard
    Parrots:
    Johan has gone full Civ6-tard.

^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again Average Manateegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Parrots:
    Another EU4 DLC, another number to make higher so you can unlock and stack more bonuses. EU4 really shows the pitfalls of DLC (as opposed to CK2), with all of these mechanics just feeling like stuff piled on with no forethought or interaction.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Grifgender: ⚧ Learned

Grif
    Parrots:
    What's this civ garbage doing in EU? Get that rubbish out of my GSG.

:x

Johan you absolutely lost the plot
    Show Spoiler
    2 patches ago.

^ Top  
  11. Ranaramagender: ⚧ Educated

Ranarama
    Parrots:
    How many shit DLC have they released? All of them since and including Cossacks?

^ Top  
  12. Castozorgender: ⚧ Learned

Castozor
    Parrots:
    So how does one annex/vassalize a one province nation when they have a far off ally? I had the situation before as Castile vs Granada/Morocco and now again as Muscovy versus Novgorod/Scotland. Scotland doesn't actually do anything but because they do join the war I can never get Novgorod to accept their annexation which frankly to me seems dumb as shit. Now with Castile I eventually just kicked the shit out of Morocco too but sailing all the way to Scotland seems extreme especially since they never actively support anyway.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. traisgender: ⚧ Arcane

trais
    Parrots:
    After a while, you should be able to make a separate peace with target's ally/allies, which should give you 100% warscore on your target. Failing that, after you occupy a province in a war for long enough it will defect to you even without peace.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. FreeKanergender: ⚧ Magister

FreeKaner
    Parrots:
    For Granada you can just occupy them and sit on them, after a while they accept annexation. As for Novgorod in my hundreds of hours in this game and as Russia I never have seen them ally with anyone, just declare war on them ASAP and they'll be without allies.

^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again Average Manateegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Parrots:
    After a war has lasted a certain amount of time the warscore mechanism changes and you'll get 100% just occupying the war leader. I believe its 3 years after the war has started but it might be 5. It's basically a fallback mechanism for exactly this situation, was way more important in EU3 where spaghetti map nations could be landlocked and getting military access was impossible.

^ Top  
  16. Grifgender: ⚧ Learned

Grif
    Parrots:
    Eventually Novgorod will ally with either TO and/or Denmark (if Denmark didn't implode by then). But for the first ten.. twenty years? Yeah, they'll be hated by everyone nearby.

^ Top  
  17. Castozorgender: ⚧ Learned

Castozor
    Parrots:
    I forgot about the separate peace mechanics and didn't know about the auto-cede, thanks. Fwiw, the game is about 40 years in or so, and I don't know why they allied Scotland but I'm firm allies with Denmark so that might have something to do with it.

^ Top  
  18. Jason Lianggender: ⚧ Liturgist

Jason Liang
    Parrots:
    Huh? Why is 1620 the divide between Reformation and Absolutism? Shouldn't it be 1648- end of the 30 Years War, the recognition of Calvinism and the beginning of Louis XIV France?

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. Grinolfgender: ⚧ Augur

Grinolf
    Parrots:
    Because Norway has borders with Scotland by owning Orkney and Sweden borders Novgorod with Finland. Both countries are owned by Denmark at the game start so AI of Novgorod an Scotland treat and being treated by Denmark as neighbors and this promotes mutual rivalries and seeking alliances with his rival's rival. This is very annoying issue that existed in the game for a pretty long time, as this alliance is strategically useless (Novgorod and Scotland can't help each other against Denmark because Danish-Swedish-Norwegian fleets dominate the sea) and just result in them being dragged in the far away wars against much stronger opponents (Muscovy and England). This is not the only example when AI don't take naval situation into consideration for his actions and there is a big chance that it wouldn't be fixed at all in EU4.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Delteriusgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Parrots:
    So, I played a short game as a Colonial Nation and half way through things got kinda of weird.

I started in 1540 as Portuguese Brazil. In that stardate the Spaniards already hold much of their historical empire and are likely to expand further. Other colonial nations such as the Scots, the French and the English took apart the rest at Guyana and North America. Funnily enough, the french colonized the Thirteen Colonies and the English colonized Canada.

As a result, I was Portugal's only colony and continuously corresponded to a major percentage of their military power. I cruised the game at max speed and built tall enough that Portugal had the highest income in the world despite not growing at all beyond Brazil and 2 provinces in Africa. What got weird is that they continuously bankrupted themselves to invest on me. They sunk so much gold and (mostly) monarch power on me that I quickly reached -1000% Liberty Desire. Declaring war of independence kept getting postponed because Portugal's best friend, Spain, kept getting ridiculously more powerful. They inherited a PU with Austria and Poland/Lithuania. But as Portugal developed all my tropical provinces to the low 20s and built in every avaiable slot, it was kinda like I didn't even pay tariffs or transferred trade power to them.

^ Top  
  21. FreeKanergender: ⚧ Magister

FreeKaner
    Parrots:
    Pocket support Portugal.

Same happens when you play as Sweden and stay around under Denmark instead of declaring independence from day one, Denmark develops your provinces around. In fact it might even be worth to stay a bit now since Denmark is stronger and they cede you provinces when they declare on Novgorod or Muscowy if you occupy them.

Also show map of Spain with PU over Austria and Commonwealth. In my last game as Austria, Aragon stole Milan PU from me but later Castile got both Iberian wedding and Burgundian Inheritance that they had their Phillip II European borders. Habsburgs got put on their throne and I claimed their throne and successfully got it. They got rebellious instantly however, in fact all my subjects did because I had Hungary (with extra provinces), Bohemia, Naples, Milan, Aragon and Castile under PU while I had a post-shadow-kingdom emperor Austria with over force limit army but it wasn't enough. I rage quit that game shortly after but mainly because 3 times in a row I failed to get some PU's because 70+ year old rulers refused to die without heir. Savoy, Brandenburg and Palpatine. I probably could get the liberty desire under control if I inherited Hungary or Bohemia, which I had high chance to on next monarch.

^ Top  
  22. jaydee2kgender: ⚧ Learned

jaydee2k
    Parrots:
    Is there any crack around that i could play version 1.19.2 without steam.
    I could open the game without steam but then the launcher does not
    recognize my dlcs. I hate steam to death and would be very thankfull if
    somebody could help me out with that. I know that i could go the easy way and
    pirate any edition with alls dlcs and crap but I don't want to.
    I just want to crack my legitimate copy of the game...
    Hope I'm not violating any forum rules.

^ Top  
  23. Space Satangender: ⚧ Arcane

Space Satan
    Parrots:
    Do you realise the have a sticky thread on their main forums about how to play previous versions?

^ Top  
  24. jaydee2kgender: ⚧ Learned

jaydee2k
    Parrots:
    Yeah but with steam. I will play completely without it. I know theres a rollback feature in the beta tab...

^ Top  
  25. traisgender: ⚧ Arcane

trais
    Parrots:
    Just pirate it. Why do you even care where does your copy of the game comes from if want to crack it anyway?

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)