Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Europa Universalis IV

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by raw, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Make America Great Again baturinskygender: ⚧ Arcane

baturinsky
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Well, does it? Does Russia when, controlled by AI, perform representive to the historical situation of the states over the timeline?

^ Top  
  2. FreeKanergender: ⚧ Magister

FreeKaner
    Parrots:
    Russia almost always annexes Sweden and does often expand into its historical borders. Their ideas are strong and especially provide a safety net for AI and AI gets claims over vast expanses of land thanks to Russian missions. On the other hand Ottomans and Swedes never reach their natural borders in the game.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Tytusgender: ⚧ Arcane

Tytus
    Parrots:
    If this is your standard of measurment then only major victory in the 150 years I just mentioned the Russo-Polish War also does not count because it took place during Chmielnicki Uprising 1648-1657 - a massive Civil War against the Cossacks that were supported by the Crimeans. And during a war with Sweden. Both Sweden and Russia wanted to take advantage of the situation. And despite all of that Poland was able to win the Civil War and defeat the Swedes. And when Russia was in turmoil they just rolled over

(Poles were fighting against 400k Cossack and around 190k Tatars with forces of 215k troops. )

This only shows that Russia was a shitty unstable mess of a state with weak army, with weak leadership and weak economy before Peter's reforms.

^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again baturinskygender: ⚧ Arcane

baturinsky
    Parrots:
    It was a long time I played EU last time, so I'll take your word for it.
    Another question. Was Russian army historically disproportionally big for it's population?

^ Top  
  5. Delteriusgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Parrots:
    In my games Russia has awesome trade ideas and republican tradition~

• Love! Love! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. FreeKanergender: ⚧ Magister

FreeKaner
    Parrots:
    Russian army wasn't disproportionally big for its population but Russia had cossacks which were a paramilitary society. Most wars between Russia and Ottomans are basically clashes by proxy between Cossacks and Crimean Tatars, which both were disproportionally large armies due their paramilitary on the horseback type of lifestyle. Russia also often drafted serfs disproportionally compared to other states, which meant that in defensive warfare they often had much more men compared to its population.

So no Russia's army was not big for its population but Russia's armed population that participated in wars was numerous compared to rest of Europe. Also you have to remember the manpower is related to development, the manpower bonuses basically allow Russia to be more populous than its neighbours while having less development, which was the reality.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    ^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again baturinskygender: ⚧ Arcane

baturinsky
    Parrots:
    Yes, exactly. Only Russian-Poles wars in that period that ended with significant territorial gains happened when one side was hugely handicapped. "Fair" wars ended indecisively, indicating roughly equal army strength.

And this shitty country was steadily expanding East, South and West (into Lithuania)

^ Top  
  8. Luzurgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    Parrots:
    Not always, Sweden and Ottomans (to a certain point it seems aleast) seems to do just fine in the games ive had as other nations, although not as precise and quick as i would do it.

I would put it at a 50/50 chance on it going either way.

^ Top  
  9. FreeKanergender: ⚧ Magister

FreeKaner
    Parrots:
    I have never ever seen Ottomans go up to Wien or conquer North Africa. Sweden does sometimes annex Norway and parts of Russia but never Pomerania for example. You also can't Fraustadt Saxons so what's even the point.

^ Top  
  10. IncendiaryDevicegender: ⚧ Arcane The Real Fanboy

IncendiaryDevice
    Parrots:
    The AI isn't supposed to match reality. Bit of a wild goose chase expecting that kind of behaviour. The game wont mimic all the micro-events in reality that spawned all their reality expansion.

^ Top  
  11. FreeKanergender: ⚧ Magister

FreeKaner
    Parrots:
    That's not what we were talking about though but strength and balance of states compared to their historical standing, if you go back a page I say the same, the game is not supposed to be historical but alternative history.

^ Top  
  12. IncendiaryDevicegender: ⚧ Arcane The Real Fanboy

IncendiaryDevice
    Parrots:
    Very often, more often than you'd at first realise, the strength of a state very often relies entirely on the people that manage it, not its inherent resources or standing. An over-the-top example would be, for example, Joan of Arc, or Justinian. Like a bad AI, you can have all the resources available to conquer XYZ weaker neighbour, but if the talent and will isn't there then it wont happen and could even result in a civil war at home, or worse, a counter invasion, a good example being Spain's frittering away of all its gold resources in a frenzy of aimless over abundance after colonisation. An AI will not have variations in personality and its personality will, naturally, veer to the dumber side due to over-predictability and lack of long-term planning. Would an AI leader ever behead their wife and tell the Pope to fuck off and invent its own religion?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. FreeKanergender: ⚧ Magister

FreeKaner
    Parrots:
    Exactly, due AI not being able to have that much variance there are events, ideas, national ideas, AI personalities to spice the game up and recreate some direction instead of it being an entirely numbers against numbers risk game. It's again an alternative history game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Delteriusgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Parrots:
    Two points should be made here.

First, are you including Egypt in your North Africa? Not only do the Ottomans regularly conquer the Mamluks, but the AI in general priorizes targets according to coring costs. The magreb kingdoms and Hungary both have bonuses to hostile core creation. The only time I've seen the Ottomans reach Vienna was because Austria inherited PU'd and inherited Hungary only to be crippled later on by everybody else.

Second, also keep in mind that lack of expansion doesn't necessarily account for lack of power. The AI often takes its sweet time to do anything in game.

• Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Luzurgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    Parrots:
    In my game as England once Ottomans actually had territory all the way up to Wien for some years after winning over Bosnia, until Bohemia threw them out.

And in my game as Brandenburg Sweden took Norway, Novgorod, Pskov and some of the danish islands and threatened Moscow together with The Livonian Knights and had some wars with Poland, but in another game when i was Spain, Catholic Sweden was carved up between Denmark, Finland and Teutonics, so as i say, it seems it can go both way after a certain year, if Sweden survives the 1400's it will usually grow in some direction.

^ Top  
  16. Makabbgender: ⚧ Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Parrots:
    Are you guys playing with the cossacks? Because i find estates and favours a bad system in EU.

Anyone knows how you can disable them via modding ?

^ Top  
  17. Sophgender: ⚧ Educated

Soph
    Parrots:
    I'm bored.. suggest me a campaign / achievement

Majors suck.

^ Top  
  18. MilesBeyondgender: ⚧ Savant

MilesBeyond
    Parrots:
    Norway / Norwegian Wood

^ Top  
  19. Mortmalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Mortmal
    Parrots:
    Try theodoro, or trebizond achievements . Now with ottomans being op as fuck i dont know if trebizond is even doable anymore.

^ Top  
  20. Delteriusgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Parrots:
    Ceylon.

^ Top  
  21. FreeKanergender: ⚧ Magister

FreeKaner
    Parrots:
    Anyone else think that the event which lets Spain put a PU over Portugal if Portugal has regency should have higher chances of happening? MTH 15 years seem too much, considering the only alternative is forcefully vassal them because they are clay thieves stealing MY fucking Caribbeans.

^ Top  
  22. MadMaxHellfiregender: ⚧ Magister

MadMaxHellfire
    Parrots:
    i didn't even know it was a possibility. and i wasted hundreds of hours with spain/castille.

^ Top  
  23. FreeKanergender: ⚧ Magister

FreeKaner
    Parrots:
    It happened only once to me. You have to be allied with Portugal and have high relations and if they have a regency, they can be put under a PU but it has stupid high MTH so it's very rare. Nowadays I just annex their northern territories then make them a vassal, way better.

^ Top  
  24. MadMaxHellfiregender: ⚧ Magister

MadMaxHellfire
    Parrots:
    i usually befriend them and france to beat the crap out of aragon (the union with aragon almost never triggers for me), then during the colonialism times i let my colonies kick the crap out of theirs until i gradually kick their useless asses out of europe. vassallizing them takes too many points and it's not worth much after all.

^ Top  
  25. FreeKanergender: ⚧ Magister

FreeKaner
    Parrots:
    If you vassalise them they will colonise Africa for you then you can later annex them together with those colonies. The PU event only fires if you are Spain, doesn't as Castile.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)