Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Europa Universalis IV

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by raw, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Delteriusgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Well, that's the whole point.

^ Top  
  2. Makabbgender: ⚧ Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Parrots:
    Prussian Monarchy in Rights of Man

[​IMG]

:obviously:

^ Top  
  3. Makabbgender: ⚧ Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Parrots:
    Finaly minting is back from eu 3 in next dlc :bounce:

[​IMG]

It only took them 3 years after release to bring back the feature from previous EU, now they only need to uncuck the manpower recovery and EU4 will be finaly better than EU 3

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. AwesomeButtongender: ⚧ Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Debase currency is better than minting. I think the whole monthly income-based system is inferior to the yearly income-based one. States collected taxes on a yearly basis. The current one feels too much like the monarch's monthly salary.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Makabbgender: ⚧ Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Parrots:
    Late game in 1.18 is shaping up to be Victoria. me like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Anthedongender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Anthedon
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Just finished a playthrough as Qing. I hadn't played a lot after the fort ZoC was introduced in the hopes they would improve it with time. But the mechanic is still a mess. The AI still has a ton of no-maintenance forts and the zone of control bounces around way too much when border forts change hands. Pray to god when there are overlapping ZoC.

^ Top  
  7. Makabbgender: ⚧ Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Parrots:
    Body count in 1.18

[​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Makabbgender: ⚧ Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Parrots:
    Seems EU4 now will be EU + CK + Victoria

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughtergender: ⚧ Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    That's the nation designer

^ Top  
  10. Delteriusgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Parrots:
    That's a shitton more ruler personality traits than I expected.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Makabbgender: ⚧ Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Parrots:
    1.18 is shaping up to be bretty gud

^ Top  
  12. LizardWizardgender: ⚧ Savant

LizardWizard
    Parrots:
    20 dollar (27 including the superfluous shit) dlc of copy pasting in CK2 features. Great value Paradox.

^ Top  
  13. Lone Wolfgender: ⚧ Arcane

Lone Wolf
    Parrots:
    I'm pretty sure you'll get 60% of those features for free in the patch.

^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again Average Manateegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Parrots:
    This patch/DLC looks cool. Hopefully EU5 will include most of this features but ditch mana.

^ Top  
  15. LizardWizardgender: ⚧ Savant

LizardWizard
    Parrots:
    Not really no. Most of the free stuff is fixing the garbage tier dlc which was mare nostrum.

The trait/personality/greatpower stuff looks good, just not 20 bucks worth considering they are copy paste features from previous games. Johan is claiming this is the most expensive expansion which sounds like pure horseshit.

^ Top  
  16. Trashgender: ⚧ Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Parrots:
    Heh, that does look good. Perhaps time to get this then.

^ Top  
  17. Makabbgender: ⚧ Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Parrots:
  18. MoLAoSgender: ⚧ Guest

MoLAoS
    I don't understand how all this stuff can be so expensive. I've implemented more complex features in a day. Maybe it has to do with their interface and art assets needing to be redone or something?

^ Top  
  19. Hoaxmetalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Hoaxmetal
    Parrots:
    Don't try your luck in sales then.

^ Top  
  20. rawgender: ⚧ Turbo Chad Patron

raw
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    [​IMG]

Abolishing techgroups is the :bounce: I have been longing for all these years.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Multiple Sarcasmgender: ⚧ Arcane

Multiple Sarcasm
    Parrots:
    Can't wait for it to become playable in patch 1.19.3. :bounce:

• Excited! Excited! x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. MilesBeyondgender: ⚧ Savant

MilesBeyond
    Parrots:
    Been playing Rights of Man. So far it's pretty fantastic. Definitely one of the best DLCs for EU4. I'd go so far as to say Art of War tier

^ Top  
  23. MoLAoSgender: ⚧ Guest

MoLAoS
    What's so great about it? I went ahead and got my DLC up to date including RoM and I don't see a significant gameplay difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. MilesBeyondgender: ⚧ Savant

MilesBeyond
    Parrots:
    Derp. Meant to reply to this but forgot. Personally I absolutely love the Great Powers mechanic, and the ability to get all up in other peoples' business. Particularly loving the balance of power type stuff, where, for example, if there's two Great Powers on one side of a war and one on the other side, any other Great Power can join the second side to even the odds a bit. To me, this makes diplomacy a lot more interesting and intricate, and I think it really serves to help strike a balance. Basically the issue is that Paradox seems to want to tone down the blobbing simulator aspect of EU4, but the problem with that is that military conflict is at the core of the EU games. Lacking the internal politics of CK2 or the economic development of Vicky 2, there's little they can do to make peacetime as compelling as wartime in EU4 without completely revamping the game. So I was a little so/so on the way that expansions like The Cossacks tried to implement more peacetime things to do, but I feel like Rights of Man has reached a happy medium: Enabling and encouraging the player to fight wars over things other than territory.

Prussia becomes particularly interesting for this, because the Prussian Monarchy actively discourages blobbing (well, kinda. Your country's militarization declines if you have too many provinces, but as you can boost it with sword mana, I found I could just blob and keep it high anyway). So it's actually totally viable to play a small, tall Prussia with a super badass army that keeps everyone around them in line.

I also really like how it changes England, because it allows you to Brexit and abandon your holdings on the continent and become an island fortress, but still have a big impact on European affairs (before, selling off your continental provinces really just meant you were going to do a purely colonial game).

I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about institutions. They're cool, certainly, and the way they spread makes the game still stay reasonably within the same sphere (e.g. while it's hypothetically easier for non-westerns to achieve tech parity, in practice this really doesn't play out too much, aside from India being a little more advanced than they were ordinarily, really the only difference I've noticed is that you might be like ten levels ahead of the Aztecs instead of twelve). They also make it easier for small nations to keep up technologically, as opposed to larger ones (which is a mechanic I always appreciated about EU3). However, the spread system can be a little frustrating. Particularly Colonialism. Sometimes that institution can spend like thirty years on England before it pops up anywhere else. Which, to be fair, is a lot of fun if you are England.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. MilesBeyondgender: ⚧ Savant

MilesBeyond
    Parrots:
    Oh, right. The reason I came back to this thread is: Steam Halloween sale. Are any of the content packs actually worth getting?

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)