Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Europa Universalis IV essential dlc?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Question for you EU experts here. What dlc is essential? Looking to buy it when the summer sale finally hits, but want to make sure I only buy the important stuff. Been reading a bit on it online, but some stuff seem a bit confusing, like how certain dlc are not needed anymore because other dlc have taken over their purpose... or something like that?

And yeah, you can always trust Codex to get a good answer on things :)

Btw, I'm not shy from buying cosmetic dlc if it adds to the game. Been buying all that small stuff for Crusader Kings II over the years, and it adds flavor even if you think Paradox could have included it in the main dlc itself.

Edit:

Oops, found the main EU thread after I posted this... but maybe it will help people getting the "good" dlc :/

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'd rate Art of War and Common Sense as must have, with Wealth of Nations, El Dorado and The Cossacks as ought to have, but can live without.

Then, if you really, really want some more flavour while playing as merchant republics then Res Publica, otherwise you can skip that. Same with and Conquest of Paradise and native Americans.

Mare Nostrum is junk, don't buy that.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
You can live without virtually all of it.

The free patches add the 'must have' stuff that those DLCs might otherwise contain.

One exception being province development, which came with Common Sense - and which many people despise completely.

Urbanolo

Augur
Get Victoria 2 instead, since it's the last Paradox game worth buying.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
It's a shallow game. If you don't get bored of it after 4 hours you might be of the easily entertained kind. Consider switching to a ps4 library then.

There's no essential DLCs. They all add features that should have been in the base game in the first place, each and everyone of them upping their side of the game from boring shit to barely bearable.

Paradox has no business asking 250$ for the complete game. It's a ripoff. Pirate it, it's morally the right thing to do.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Mare Nostrum is junk, don't buy that.

Full retard. Mare nostrum adds the ability to offer or buy mercenary companies, the most crucial mechanism in a game about Renaissance warfare. 3 years later.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Which horribly breaks the game, because you can also offer them for free, and with that you can interfere in 3rd party wars without virtually any risks to yourself. On top of that, there's a good reason why you can't use "enforce peace" diplo-action unless you fulfill certain conditions and Mare Nostrum's Condottieri system skirts right past that requirements.

trais

Arcane
Patron
And you had options to do that before:
- directly by declaring a war (you can do that any time you want, you know) or using "enforce peace"
- indirectly by sending gifts and subsidies or using espionage

Just like in real life. And all of those options are balanced, costs vs benefits wise.

Also, you're fucking AIDS, go and play LARP in Africa or something, there's no need for you to shill for Paradox ITT.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Sending gift and subsidies to the dumbshit AI when it's already under siege :lol: . Declaring war without casus belli, also :lol: . And calling me a Paracuck shill :lol:

Sovereigns lent chunks of their armies all the time without any formal declaration of war. Sounds like you just got your ass kicked by a surprise conditierri and can't deal with it. :positive:

trais

Arcane
Patron
On the contrary, I've never seen AI using it, meanwhile it allowed me interfere in HRE where I had no business interfering. How this fucks up multiplayer games I can only imagine.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
eu 4 is fail game, eu series was always about map painting, eu4 cockblocks your map painting, if you want to be a cuck play eu 4.

DakaSha II

Prospernaut
eu4 is the best game in the series, and trais is a dumbfuck that has no idea what hes talking about (took me a grand total of one game and < 5 years to see the AI use the fucking merc companies btw)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom