Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Barbarorum 2 alpha allegedly inbound

GET HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

34scell

Augur
Fully upgrading Batoroi armour means they all wear shirts into battle.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd join the celebration, but it just crashes on launch for me.

I get the splash screen, then I'm immediately returned to the desktop. It says "shared.txt:{GERR_GENERIC}"

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Running well for me as well on Win7 64 bit. Fresh install of both MTW2 and EB2 is the recommend first step. Then updating/repairing drivers, Directx Java, etc. All the things MTW2 needs to run.

It's a bitch, but EB2 will be improved and fixed for some time to come, so might as well.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
And this little strategy piece on early Carthage is why MTW2 is still the best TW game.

"Disband your starting fleet - it's expensive. Replace it with a Trireis fleet to save money.

You have elephants, right? Disband them. That's 1000 mnai a turn for free. You don't need the elephants.

Examine your settlements. You should be able to disband 1 unit in each. Lots of the settlement garrisons come with cavalry - cav is too expensive and isn't very useful in garrison anyways. If you want the extra garrison, you can replace them with another cheap infantry unit.

Assemble one army for campaigns, and support it with your new Trireis fleet, since your campaigning should be along a coast. Focus on one front - Iberia, Africa, or Sicily - try to secure peace on the other (with Massylia or the Iberian tribes). If you're only fielding one army with ~12-15 units, plus your garrisons, you should be making enough profit to keep constant construction in your cities.

For construction, focus on income-producing and trade-increasing buildings first. I like to start off with farm improvements (you get tax revenue from food production), then progress to roads, ports, and trade/market buildings. Most of your income is through trade initially, so it's important to build that up. Later on, Iberian mines will supplement your income.

Hope that helps! EB's philosophy is to start you off with more tools than you need, so you have lots of options available - you have to choose which option to take. With Carthage it's fairly obviously disbanding troops to get to positive income, but with some other factions it's often going into debt to maintain the starting army!"

Future iterations either didn't have the choice involved, or the choices don't matter. Starting as Carthage in EB2(and even in MTW2 for some nations), getting rid of your troops is the best way to succeed. Any game/mod that embraces a counter intuitive strategy like that is already ahead of the curve.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
It's complete bullshit historically speaking. You start as a well established faction, and the first thing you do is disband any kind of elite troop you might possess.

Disappointing starts for a mod who does put gameplay on the sides sometimes to favor accurate historical situation.

Do they have the retarded unit progression in base Rome and Medieval? Where you're stuck with cheap levies/plebians and can't upgrade shit until dozens of turns in? Even thought historically many of those factions already fielded professional corps and finely equipped armies already.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Do they have the retarded unit progression in base Rome and Medieval? Where you're stuck with cheap levies/plebians and can't upgrade shit until dozens of turns in? Even thought historically many of those factions already fielded professional corps and finely equipped armies already.

If EB2 is anything in the vein of EB1, it won't have this problem.

34scell

Augur
EB1 did have that problem, I think (though there were workarounds). But MTW2 has a mechanic for limiting how much of a specific unit you can recruit, so it's not an issue for EB2.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I have less problems with disbanding non-needed troops in the beginning (which has always been a "staple" of ME2TW and is not mod-specific) than with Rome2's "You only need to bother with income for the first 10 turns. After that you'll be swiming in gold."
(Of course a real functioning economic system would be best. But I'd not expect that from C"If the nobility is forced to pay taxes, your provinces will generate wealth less quickly"A.)
Not really a huge issue, IMO. *shrug*

praetor

Arcane
It's complete bullshit historically speaking. You start as a well established faction, and the first thing you do is disband any kind of elite troop you might possess.

Disappointing starts for a mod who does put gameplay on the sides sometimes to favor accurate historical situation.

it's one strategy (the most efficient economically) of many. you can certainly put those early units to use if you want (the same strategy was almost always advised in EB1, and i did the contrary, crushing the weak early neighbours with my superior troops. they're expensive so i might as well use them... my elephant after ~10 years of campaigning in sicily and southern italy iirc had 1-2 gold chevrons and just did not want to die :))

anyway, it does make sense historically. at least for Carthage since they relied on mercenaries a lot (so having shitloads of expensive troops around when you're not at war but trying to establish some kind of economic infrastructure in your core regions makes plenty of sense) so disbanding them when you don't need/use them is the opposite of "complete bullshit historically speaking"

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Haha, time for full triarii armies. Nah probably not they suck anyway.

And they got removed from EB or something, all the units are called strangely.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I did the fresh install from disc, I added the alternative text folder, I changed the access rights to the MTW2 folder; it was all of no use. the shared txt gerr_generic crash persists no matter what I do, so at this point I guess I will just have to wait until there's a functional release.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I did the fresh install from disc, I added the alternative text folder, I changed the access rights to the MTW2 folder; it was all of no use. the shared txt gerr_generic crash persists no matter what I do, so at this point I guess I will just have to wait until there's a functional release.

"tux_alin Aug 27 2014, 7:35pm replied:
We're working for a patch to completely solve this problems for everyone."

Haha, time for full triarii armies. Nah probably not they suck anyway.

And they got removed from EB or something, all the units are called strangely.

What do you mean I see them clearly ingame

RaMtVPx.jpg

Bradylama

Arcane
Hoping the patch drops by the end of Labor Day weekend. An how "huge" is the huge unit size?

EB2 actually allows major nations to recruit all or nearly all of their elite troops from turn one, but only in one or two provinces.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Hoping the patch drops by the end of Labor Day weekend. An how "huge" is the huge unit size?

Most Infantry/Ranged units have 160 on Huge. Light Cavalry and some elite units are at 100. That's just my experience as early Greece.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've also installed Barbarorum 2.
There is a graphical "glitch" in combat where units farther than a certain range from the camera change their color/texture.
Does anyone know how to correct it? I've seen presentation videos where this is not an issue.

StoneRhino

Barely Literate
There is a graphical "glitch" in combat where units farther than a certain range from the camera change their color/texture.
Does anyone know how to correct it? I've seen presentation videos where this is not an issue.
Go into the config file and set unit detail to highest. This turns off the ugly 2d textures. Setting the unit detail to highest in the game only sets it to higher in the config file.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Go into the config file and set unit detail to highest. This turns off the ugly 2d textures. Setting the unit detail to highest in the game only sets it to higher in the config file.

[...] mods\EBII\EBII.cfg this file?

[video]

unit_detail=higher to highest ?

I've also changed the

grass_distance= to 150 but with no effect

Reject_666_6

Arcane
I did a fresh install and almost every piece of text in the game points to some missing txt description.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom