Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Etrian Odyssey IV announced for 3DS

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Also, I moved this because posting a couple if jrpg shit pictures is not a crpg discussion.
We don't have a CRPG sub-forum, though, only an RPG one:
102teyp.png

If only PC WRPGs are meant to be discussed there, it should be renamed appropriately. Three new sub-forums wouldn't hurt: one for P&P systems, one for ARPGs, one for JRPGs. All three are liked more by the hive mind than MMOs are, and those have their own sub-forum.

There is an entire forums for such discussions, It's called Site Feedback. Feel free to express your RAGE over no jRPG titles being discussed in GRPGD. Or I could just move your post there.

It's not a jRPG. It plays like Wizardry. It's an RPG because I say so and my RPG senses are always correct, due to decades of training in a monastery. If Japanese developers make a game that's exactly like Might and Magic 1, except a lot harder (but also more exploitable, so that'd debatable) that doesn't-

You know, fuck it.

Why 3DS? That's dumb, what was stopping them from making it a DS game? I don't like the idea of buying that trash handheld just for this.

MMXI

Arcane
But you give fucks about whether a rpg is on pc or not, which is an even more meaningless criteria to determine where a thread should go...
A bunch of people who come here because it's not an RPG site dominated by console RPG news and discussion.

He said: "These days there's no clear distinction in design between PC and console games.", to which you replied with "If it's not on PC, it's not on PC". In other words, you're saying that FF7 and 8 are bona fide PC RPGs since they got released for windows too.
I think I remember seeing a Windows FF7 thread in GRPGD. I don't have a problem with that, but then again it's not my site and I don't make the rules.

MMXI

Arcane
Except those are two different genres entirely. That analogy doesn't work. Here we are dealing with a franchise of games that plays almost exactly like the early Wizardries, which I'm sure most of us can agree are suitable for discussion here. You arbitrarily draw a line in the sand saying "only certain PC RPGs because only certain PC RPGS even when there is nothing even remotely significant about this console game meriting a division of genre from certain PC RPGS." So in the end, it really does come down to a mouse and keyboard. That's where I was coming from.
What do you mean by "certain PC RPGs"? Is this game being released on the PC or not? Because the information I have tells me that it's a 3DS game and not a PC game.

I don't understand. I was saying that I see no reason to exclude good console RPGs from discussion. As far as it being off-topic, yeah, but that's where the thread was heading from what I could observe.
The RPG Codex isn't a console RPG website. Have you noticed the lack of console RPG news on the front page? The General RPG Discussion forum is there primarily to discuss the games that the site covers, which are basically RPGs for the PC. Here is the Codex's game database: http://web.archive.org/web/20110520030256/http://rpgcodex.net/listgames.php

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've been here for a little while and I can tell you that we've always discussed console RPGs, although it was more subdued. It's been more prevalent because we talked all normal CRPGs to death and it's the only platform that still brings us some cool RPGs, other than maybe the odd indie. Besides, if it's on a console, but plays like a CRPG, I don't see why we shouldn't cover it.

MMXI

Arcane
Besides, if it's on a console, but plays like a CRPG, I don't see why we shouldn't cover it.
Do you mean cover them with news posts, reviews and articles like they do with PC RPGs? If yes then that's fine. That's what you want from the Codex and you're entitled to your opinion. Bring it up with the staff in the site feedback forum. If no then why shouldn't there be a forum discussing exactly the kind of games the site covers and nothing more? By including games that the site doesn't cover (such as JRPGs) in General RPG Discussion, you've got no forum that matches the coverage of the site.

But you give fucks about whether a rpg is on pc or not, which is an even more meaningless criteria to determine where a thread should go...
A bunch of people who come here because it's not an RPG site dominated by console RPG news and discussion.

Some news now and then = "dominated"?

/Jaesun

We don't have a torrent of console rpg news like kotaku, destructoid, or whatever, just the eventual "hey, this mite b cool" threads from a few users. Even ignoring the fact that this bunch of people you mention could just skip the thread instead of rushing to declare their dislike of animu, what those people dislike is the design in console RPGs (excluding the weirdos on a holy crusade against certain hardware because master race herp derp). Like made said, this one in particular is a dungeon crawler closer to old wrpgs than "animu jrpg shit", as Jaesun puts it because he didn't bother with reading the post. (edit: tbh, the post didn't contain much information, it assumes the reader knows / cares about it already. Even then, previous entries in the series were already talked about here with more detail and the treatment wasn't very different)

Repressed Homosexual
I would love to see an Etrian Odyssey with a free-roaming Might and Magic formula, my dream game right there. Sadly it's probably too complex for the purpose of this franchise. It is supposed to be a game cheap and simple to produce and guaranteed to turn out a profit.

Like others have said I respect this game a thousand times more than stuff like Mass Effect, and mentally tune the lolis out within seconds. Heck, my girlfriend found the Etrian Odyssey 3 art book that came with the game cute as hell. If you think the art of this game is too abominable to even look upon and have no problem with something as insulting as Kingdom of Amalur, something is wrong with you.

spekkio

Arcane
ITT Jaesun trolls waebos epicaly.

In other thread DU reveals that it wasn't even Jaesun in the first place...

5/5

:bravo:

Repressed Homosexual
ITT Jaesun trolls waebos epicaly.

In other thread DU reveals that it wasn't even Jaesun in the first place...

5/5

:bravo:

Simply because he's the one most open about his snobbish views of RPGs on the staff.

You forgot, has nothing to contend with but daydreams of 20 years-old Gold box games, while the rest of us enjoy great games that keep coming out.

Stabwound

Arcane
Is it just me or does the description for the "General RPG forum" say:

For anything that's even remotely related to RPGs and RPG type things. From the games themselves - such as the latest AAA+ titles to jRPGs, ARPGs, regardless of platform - to discussions about the direction of the industry or RPGs as a whole.

So even if you want to have a pissing contest over what to classify Etrian Odyssey as, it shouldn't have been moved to "General gaming"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom