Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternal Crusade (WH40K MMO)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
For a superpowered metahuman in advanced power armor you die as fast in this game as any other generic online shooter.
This was actually the number one reason I lost interest in this game. They couldn't make the sides balanced while being actually different enough.
Well they were SUPPOSED to have Orks as the way people could play for free while you had to buy the game for the other races.. but nooooooo they had to change everything (for the worse).

Educated
Well they were SUPPOSED to have Orks as the way people could play for free while you had to buy the game for the other races.. but nooooooo they had to change everything (for the worse).
Eh, thankfully. The original plan wouldn't work at all (other than as a wet dream for spess muhreens fanboys being able to mow down masses of other players with impunity), so a decision to change the relative power level between factions to 1:1 (or 1:1:1:1) was one of the better ones. And they managed to sufficiently diversify factions without that, because contrary to what some idiot above said, this is actually the one thing this game does well. It's not Evolve, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, or Natural Selection 2, sure. But on that scale -3.5 factions with 5-7 classes each, a few vehicles, and actually quite diverse weaponry- I'd say it does well enough.

Unfortunately, the game has numerous other (major) problems, most of them already mentioned in this thread. Melee is wonky at best, some weapons are useless, optimisation is non-existent, faction population imbalance is... well, typical for 40k, gameplay balance is... ok-ish actually, lack of access to jump-classes for f2p accounts can be problematic on some maps etc. Sure, it's much better than it was in beta but the game still has a ways to go before it's actually good. And I don't imagine it'll survive long enough to improve considerably, but then again I was pretty sure it'd be dead by now so who knows.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
better than it was in beta
Everything that's been written here says it's worse than beta.

Edit: Jump-pack unlocking is already a gameplay balance issue. They're useful in any type of area. Yes, even (or especially) enclosed ones. BTW you could hook onto a wall as a Jump Assault or as a Raptor (or maybe just as a Raptor) and wait.

Edit 2: Also, don't underestimate the Greenskins.

Last edited:

Educated
What 'everything'? Just checked the last few pages - again - and the only posters I see talking about the game post-release are:
Stereotypicall Villain - a surprisingly positive opinion; he's much more forgiving than I am
Space Satan - some lies and some butthurt about things that were announced 3 years ago and then retracted more than 2 years ago - sure, changing the whole scope of the game by such a degree is a serious thing to complain about but hell, that was over 2 years ago and anyone who preordered the game on the 'Planetside40k' promise and felt cheated had a lot of time to get a refund - unless there's still a blurb somewhere stating that's what the game is - it'd be more of a marketing team fuckup, but lying to customers is still lying
MadMaxHellfire - starts with some good points (about stuff being as broken as in beta, not worse) but then admits he couldn't find the most obvious button in the (admittedly shitty in general, but not THAT shitty) UI...

The only thing I can think of that might be considered worse is lower TTK on support and jump assault classes and maaaybe overnerfing of chaos ground assault (but I actually like that first change). Everything else is/seems better - from balance and number of bugs to performance and latency.

The game should still be considered an 'acquired taste' or rather a 'guilty pleasure', sure - it's just that there's so many things wrong with it that you don't really need to invent new stuff.

Edit: Jump-pack unlocking is already a gameplay balance issue. They're useful in any type of area. Yes, even (or especially) enclosed ones. BTW you could hook onto a wall as a Jump Assault or as a Raptor (or maybe just as a Raptor) and wait.
Valid point, though I wouldn't call them 'useful', as they're more of a gimmick class. In practice it's not noticeable since there's never a match with only f2players so there's always a few people playing those classes - but still, that was a stupid decision and I don't really think it's even working as intended.

Considering they have the most organised community and the best guilds - I suppose you're right.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
What 'everything'? Just checked the last few pages - again - and the only posters I see talking about the game post-release are:
Stereotypicall Villain - a surprisingly positive opinion; he's much more forgiving than I am
Space Satan - some lies and some butthurt about things that were announced 3 years ago and then retracted more than 2 years ago - sure, changing the whole scope of the game by such a degree is a serious thing to complain about but hell, that was over 2 years ago and anyone who preordered the game on the 'Planetside40k' promise and felt cheated had a lot of time to get a refund - unless there's still a blurb somewhere stating that's what the game is - it'd be more of a marketing team fuckup, but lying to customers is still lying
MadMaxHellfire - starts with some good points (about stuff being as broken as in beta, not worse) but then admits he couldn't find the most obvious button in the (admittedly shitty in general, but not THAT shitty) UI...

The only thing I can think of that might be considered worse is lower TTK on support and jump assault classes and maaaybe overnerfing of chaos ground assault (but I actually like that first change). Everything else is/seems better - from balance and number of bugs to performance and latency.

The game should still be considered an 'acquired taste' or rather a 'guilty pleasure', sure - it's just that there's so many things wrong with it that you don't really need to invent new stuff.

Valid point, though I wouldn't call them 'useful', as they're more of a gimmick class. In practice it's not noticeable since there's never a match with only f2players so there's always a few people playing those classes - but still, that was a stupid decision and I don't really think it's even working as intended.

Considering they have the most organised community and the best guilds - I suppose you're right.
Okay maybe I'll give the 30GB a try since I already have the game...

What I kinda meant is that I'd rather unlock full races than unlock specific classes, if that makes any sense. I never felt they were a gimmick back in beta, but it makes sense they are more a gimmick now since you said lower TTK on jump classes. Agreed on the liking nerfing the ground classes, though.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Wow, I got 30 fps on my notebook. It has a discrete GPU, but still, that's quite an improvement from beta. I'm impressed. I mean I just turned down/off postprocessing stuff and shadows.

Not sure if it'll keep my attention, though. I've been in a turn-based tactical mood which means Sanctus Reach will be my go-to once they "upgrade" the UI/graphics so you can see health bars without mousing over and have Orks more distinguishable from the green foggy maps lol.

Disgruntled

Savant
Ive been giving it a few goes here and there. The gameplay doesnt seem to have changed much, go into a clusterfuck and shoot/melee your way to a result. Its fun if you are winning but im still feeling that same sense of wanting more.
Despite the optimization improvements its still too clunky compared to other mp shooters. So its left to the other features to give an incentive for further play, but they are still barebones. My traitor has most of the best gear at level 4 and now its down to grinding for chests that might have a piece or two thats worth using. Obviously if you are interested in many classes and factions, there more content.

The map was supposed to make the battles meaningful but its just a joke right now. I dont see them making it any better. All that I can realistically look forward to is Terminators etc

Disgruntled

Savant
I should have said the world map, the battlefields themselves arent much better though.
I will say, this campaign thing thats running does give some carrot to play more, id been ignorant of it during the orc run but now that the Chaos Marines is on i can see the benefits. You basically have to win 10 games with that faction and at the end you receive req points, campaign points and a unique cosmetic. Also i think there's a requirement for the faction to get a certain amount of territory to get double the reward points but im not sure on the specifics.

I cant help but want to finish with 10 wins in the next 4 days to get an artsy pauldron for my dude so it means playing some more today/tomorrow instead of getting bored and forgetting the game like usual. Gotta give them props on that, if it becomes regular more players like me will log in to earn them shinies.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I should have said the world map, the battlefields themselves arent much better though.
I meant specifically the main three maps in beta. Well, maybe two of them. Hmm what are their names... they might be in my achievements...

Okay I liked Olipsis Refinery and..uhh.. can't remember if it was Pegasus Station or Blackbolt Defense Station - whichever one was at night with 4 capture points.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Hello Darkness my old friend...
kxxOgCRXR1Clx4CCl7VKqg.png

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looking at the player number of Dow1, 2 and 3, Vermintide, this, Sanctus Reach, etc...
One could get a certain impression:

Even with a Warhammer license, your game probably shouldn't suck.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Looking at the player number of Dow1, 2 and 3, Vermintide, this, Sanctus Reach, etc...

Idk those games are all really good I think Warhammer is just a pretty niche thing. There's lots of really solid turn based WH games and the DOW series is great all around.

Total War WH is one of the worst WH games ever made but it's the most popular because people are familiar with the TW franchise.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

More like it shouldn't suck, especially with a warhammer license.

TedNugent

Arcane
You could still play as LSM vs CSM last time I played (admittedly quite a long while ago). It's F2P if you want to determine for yourself if it's shit. The only thing you get for buying it is jump packs and cosmetics.

Just be aware, either way, it's grindy. You have to unlock all the weapon and spell options.

Other races are rarely available, usually after a concerted effort, e.g. a clan decides to play orks one day.

I got into the game during the beta, it was actually fun as shit for what it was. People were salty because the dev team had a meltdown over the original retard who promised the moon and a full fledged MMO then ducked.
It's rough around the edges and melee combat is mostly rock-paper-scissors, but it's actually frenetic and reminds me a lot of a PS3 game called Warhawk. Cheap fun. The orks were the best part, shame it's hard to get a game going for them.

Playing a jump pack marine is fun. Kind of similar to Space Marine. Rock paper scissors in melee can be a bummer though, but it gives ranged classes the ability to fight back when you airstomp them. Punching tanks is fun.

Avoid fortress maps and it should be a cheap blast.

Also, why the fuck is this in the MMO forums still. It literally isn't one.

Last edited:

Quatlo

Arcane
Just play Planetside 2 if you want to play a dead game shooter with semi-big battles. They both run like shit and are grindy but at least PS2 is fun

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Well, it'll be over soon.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/375230/view/3035969334524099866

Thank You!

7b40d9fa22ecb2a75e04956f7a53700608d2838b.png

Hello Crusaders,

Today we are announcing the sunsetting of the game. The servers will be closing on the 10th September 2021. Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade will no longer be playable at this point.

We are proud of all of the work that went into Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade, and for the amazing community that rallied behind the game. Thank you for everything, we appreciate all of your support through the years.

Thank you for this adventure,

The Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade crew

Unsurprisingly people are not happy if comments are anything to go by.

TedNugent

Arcane
Well, RIP. This game was fun for a blast. Really dug being able to play as da Orks for a change while the server pop was high enough. There was nothing quite like krumpin da pointy ear gits by smushing them with the power klaw.

Might have to reinstall and log back in for old times' sake before the shutdown.

Shame they make so much shovelware for the 40k license. Dawn of War really was a gem. For its mountain of flaws, Eternal Crusade was sadly still one of the better games on the 40k license. They really kept this game going for way longer than its server pop warranted. Another buyer beware on online only games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom