Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternal card game

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah, you were totally right. Like the day after we talked I got to master's for this season and the way from Diamond to Master's was all Argenport and Armory.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
Tavrod is busted and if he attacks once and hits once or twice, thats usually a pretty big swing most opposing decks can never recover from.

on the good side, he dodges plenty of removal ...oh wait, this aint the good side, no?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Finally made it to Master's in draft! Ended up pulling it home with a decidedly average Stranger deck. Feels like the variance is definetely not insignificant

RuySan

Augur
This Tavrod guy seems like intentional power creep from the developers to make people expend money on the new expansion. It seems all the decks are shaping to be able to counter it. I'm lazy, so i still haven't made any changes to my armory deck, but that lightning storm is almost useless now.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
True enough, even Praxis Midrange gets a lot better with the inclusion of that expansion-dragon

RuySan

Augur
True enough, even Praxis Midrange gets a lot better with the inclusion of that expansion-dragon

Yes, that Dragon is also an omen of power creep. I hope developers realise this isn't a good idea.

Unfortunately powercreep ruined magic but idiots still spend thousands on it, so what do i know?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Oh you're one of those. "Power creep ruined magic" has got to be the no. retard identication sentence in the history of gaming considering the power level has fallen to hilarious mediocrity compared to the insane bonkers brokenness of traditional magic

Last edited:

RuySan

Augur
Oh you're one of those. "Power creep ruined magic" has got to be the no. retard identication sentence in the history of gaming considering the power level has fallen to hilarious mediocrity compared to the insane bonkers brokenness of traditional magic

That's your opinion man.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
No it's not, it's objective fact. The standard decks of olden days would shit all over modern decks.

RuySan

Augur
No it's not, it's objective fact. The standard decks of olden days would shit all over modern decks.

The most powerful "classic" (not to be mixed with T1 classic) decks of the magic heydays were more accidental than intentional powercreep. So much that the most powerfull decks received the banhammer. Necropotence, Recurring/Survival, Time Spiral/High Tide, Memory Jar. All of these decks dominated for a while but it was mostly due to lack of proper testing by WoTC (just check how fast Memory Jar got banned).

I stopped playing magic 3 times. The first time when Mercadian Masks was out, Then played a bit during the Invasion/Odyssey cicles, and last time online only more or less beyween the Lorwyn and Zendikar cycles.

A good exercise to prove powercreep is looking at Savannah Lions and Jackal Pup. These two cards were throughly used back in the 90s, yet btw Zendikar was out, there were much more powerful small offensive creatures and without, or with lesser drawbacks (in the case of Jackal Pup). Another example is Ernham Djinn. Another staple card that looks ridiculous nowadays.

And another problem with late day MTG is what i'm calling now "rare-creep". In the classic days, we could build a competitive deck with mostly common cards. The rarity of the card was mostly about mechanics and not game worth.

If you want a good example how this paradigm changed, look at fetch-lands. Stupid fetch lands. Making magic ridiculously expensive since 2010, or whenever they were released. Besides that they have stupid boring mechanics that make the game slower. We all love to watch our opponent shuffle his deck.

Well, we have Eternal now, so who cares?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
A good exercise to prove powercreep is looking at Savannah Lions and Jackal Pup.

No, that's precisely an example of how your point is just a sweeping generalization based on cherry picking - it actually serves as evidence to the contrary. What has happened in Magic is not power creep (the reverse is objectively the case) - it's that some card types and effects that were very lackluster has been buffed, while insane strategies and accidents have been turned way the fuck down. The overall "total" of the changes in design philosophy is a much less powerful game than was formerly the case. That's the case in constructed at least - draft formats are overall more powerful since there are less complete unplayables, but why anyone would complaint about more choice during the draft is beyond me.

Every now and then R&D still release obvious mistakes and power creep stuff, it's just that it happens way less often than usual. Also they recently became more liberal with bannings in standard than they've ever been before (they seem to be testing trying to use bans to cause diversity), so your claim to the contrary shows you don't really know shit.

For my part, I'm not sure I like this toning down and uniformity of draft and standard formats, because I think some of the charm disappears with the reduction of power level and "controlledness" of the format. I haven't really liked the last few sets and part of the reason is that cards are overall less impact than older formats that I do like very much. I'm sure some of it is nostalgia but I liked some of the powerful strategies of the past and they're also more fun to watch. Current Standard is like watching paint dry IMO. Modern is in a good place fortunately.

Anyway, most every factual point you bring up about Magic is qualitatively false. I dunno why Magic is such a hotspot for people who love their decline myths. Plenty things about modern Magic that actually do suck.

Well, we have Eternal now, so who cares?

Eternal is fantastic, but it doesn't hold a candle to Magic as far as complexity and diversity goes. Current Modern is probably the most diverse TCG constructed format ever and Legacy is my favourite constructed format, period.

Last edited:

RuySan

Augur
Ok, so we have different opinions (see, "opinions", not "facts", stop being so annoying) and it's fine.

Magic complexity works against it in an online environment. I played MTG online ever since the Apprentice days, and was a beta tester for MTGO because there was nothing better (although to be honest, beta testing days were the best MTGO ever got). Eternal is a good compromise between Hearthstone and MTG.

If Eternal had a more distintive and tasteful aesthetic it would be perfect.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Ok, so we have different opinions (see, "opinions", not "facts", stop being so annoying) and it's fine.

That Magic is overall less powerful than in the olden day is a fact. I'm sorry if that doesn't fit with your assumptions, but that's how it is

Magic complexity works against it in an online environment.

It does, that's why I play Eternal. It just won't ever become a substitute. They're good for different things.

What Eternal did substitute for me is Hearthstone. Never looking back.

If Eternal had a more distintive and tasteful aesthetic it would be perfect.

I usually don't care about those things in games that are 99% about the gameplay, but man, Eternal is shit. It's nearly worse than all those horribru weaboo games.

Last edited:

RuySan

Augur
True, they're good for different things, but I can play Eternal on the train or at home while sipping tea.

I'm not really into spending my Saturdays with smelly people on some store basement or high school canteen playing magic anymore.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
True, they're good for different things, but I can play Eternal on the train or at home while sipping tea.

I'm not really into spending my Saturdays with smelly people on some store basement or high school canteen playing magic anymore.

I actually went to a shop a couple of months ago on a whim and it was really, really fun and people were pretty chill. But... the smell. Jesus people, you're not 15-year-old mom's basement type folks anymore. You're adults. Shower, will ya

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They are nurfing Bartholo. Also buffing some stuff:

Upcoming Balance Changes
We don't usually provide a heads up about these changes prior to patch day, but in the spirit of supporting the folks playing in the coming tournament this weekend, here you go (these will be live this week):

The Tale of Horus Traver has had an impact on the metagame, and while we've generally been happy with the ways the format has been changed up, Bartholo, the Seducer has become a more warping influence than we'd like.

The play pattern of putting a big weapon on an early Bartholo put a little too much of the card's power into a race with first interaction points. We also believe the ultimate has the potential to be a lot of fun, at the right cost. To this end, we have increased Bartholo's cost to play by 1, but also decreased his ultimate's activation by 3.
  • Bartholo, the Seducer - Now 4JJS with Ultimate: Pay 7 (instead of 3JJS with Ultimate Pay 10)
We also wanted to give a little boost to a few faction pairs in order to further promote diversity among strategies. In particular, we were interested in improving tools for players looking for more ways to interact with some of the format's most popular threats.
  • Vara's Choice - Now 2TS (instead of 3TS)
  • Beckoning Lumen - Now 4TT 5/3 (instead of 5TT 6/4)
  • Purify - Now 2FT Spell (instead of 3FT Fast Spell)
  • Moment of Creation - Now 7FFTT (instead of 8FFTT)
  • Nostrix, Lord of Visions - Now gives +5/+5 (instead of +3/+3)
  • Shelterwing Rider - Now 0/5 (instead of 0/4)
We appreciate the feedback and experiences players have shared over the past month; and we will continue to monitor the format closely.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/531640/discussions/0/1480982338966610745/

RuySan

Augur
Strange, I don't think i ever saw a Bartholo played against me. Maybe i was lucky.

That 5/7 minotaur, on the other hand, is quite bothersome.

Projas

Patron
Bartholo was a staple in Argenport Midrange. The cow is probably a bigger problem, but I guess the devs felt Bartholo was harder to interact with, so they hit him instead.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Strange, I don't think i ever saw a Bartholo played against me. Maybe i was lucky.

Bartholo and the mino are basically BFFs, can't recall seeing an Argenport Midrange deck w/o them. Which rank do you play at?

Bartholo was a staple in Argenport Midrange. The cow is probably a bigger problem, but I guess the devs felt Bartholo was harder to interact with, so they hit him instead.

Maybe also the fact that they can't defend hitting something so recently released for real moneiz.

I played that deck an insane amount and I never think I activated the ultimate, lol.

RuySan

Augur

Bartholo and the mino are basically BFFs, can't recall seeing an Argenport Midrange deck w/o them. Which rank do you play at?

I think i got to Silver I last month. Even today on commute i encountered 5 cows and no Bartholo

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I think i got to Silver I last month. Even today on commute i encountered 5 cows and no Bartholo

Then it makes sense, since not many silvers have fully crafted decks at least not in my experience.

Infinitum

Scholar
Hey, that event was pretty fun. Ended up 7-2, 7-1, 7-2; currently at 2 on the global rankings. Figure I'm pretty safe what with the lolrandom factor and the swarm of incoming Stonescar/Feln tempo decks. For those willing to give it a shot; Sand Warrior and tempo removal pretty much > all, as does Sabotage/Subvert as a close second due to their inherent card advantage. Avoid mass removal since discard and counterspells run rampant.

Projas

Patron
Stonescar seems to be the king in this event. Had a pretty good run with it myself, 7-1, 4-3, 6-3. Hope it's gonna be good enough for top 500.

Infinitum

Scholar
Back a day later and nope'd the fuck out of top 10. Ah well, still at 15 so here's to good hope for the top 100 at least. Tweaked my deck for another run and it's basically all Feln/Stonescar aggro and Monoshadow control at this point, with a sideorder of TJP durdle ramp. Stonescar Aggro teching Plague feels like it's the strongest still.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom