Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternal card game

catfood

AGAIN
It needs a few tweaks though, you are too vulnerable to flying crap.

Yeah, the game desperately needs some creatures with a "reach" type of ability.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Sandstorm Titan exists :M

Stonescar (Purple/Red) is vulnerable to flying stuff by design though, since it's the combination that packs the largest amount of removal in the game.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Sandstorm Titan exists :M

Stonescar (Purple/Red) is vulnerable to flying stuff by design though, since it's the combination that packs the largest amount of removal in the game.

there are stonescar lists with Impeding Demon and that 5/1 flier that drains 5 life once he dies, thought.
Yeah those units are staple for stonescar and veeeery strong although particularly vulnerable to certain stuff (permafrost for impeding doom and silence for umbren reaper). Umbren Reaper's nightmare = Desert Marshal

Umbren Reaper is one of the coolest units in the game for me, it's very fragile but doesn't die for free

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just got the new Green/Red Warcry deck. Neat. It's also pretty flawed, cant beat a Gauntlet with it yet. Still kick more ass with the new Purple/Red deck I got previously (and I tweaked a little).

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
"this build is intended for tablet, it may not work properly on smaller screens."

well, damn, I prefer this kind of game for playing on my phone, not on dedicated gaming system.

and i don't have a tablet.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
^ It should work just fine on phone unless your screen is really tiny.

Just got the new Green/Red Warcry deck. Neat. It's also pretty flawed, cant beat a Gauntlet with it yet. Still kick more ass with the new Purple/Red deck I got previously (and I tweaked a little).
U can experiment adding Silverwing Familiar

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
it works fine, but some parts are too small to be seen comfortably on a 4.7" phone.

good thing the controls seems to be more responsive than on pc.

and so, I've finished the tutorial.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
U can experiment adding Silverwing Familiar

Since Silverwing is a terrible card on its own and needs to be buffed by warcry to be useful, I would also run equipment to buff it if you draw it as a 1/1. Playing equipment on Aegis units avoids the usual downside of losing two cards to a single removal.
yeah, warcry decks run hammer of might and deepforge plate. (Morningstar is the budget alternative)

spectre

Arcane
So I actually went to try this out. I thought the art style would bother me more, and although the whole fantasy-musket-wielding cowboy spiel doesn't really do a lot for me, after some time I stopped noticing and focused on the mechanics. I've been playing MtG quite a bit and I'm fresh after a binge of Magic Duels, so I can't escape some analogies.

The game's biggest strength actually came from what I had the most trouble getting used to. The game maintains all changes made to cards as they go between the zones. While counter-intuitive from the point of view of physical cardboard, the game does a very good job at letting you have fun with it and as the result the cards feel... for lack of a better word, more maleable.

For example, my recent darling is comboing the blue guy who gives spells echo with the blue Instant that lets you put cards back on top of the deck and the blue/white bird that puts spells back on top and reduces their cost (yeah, I'm not terribly good with the cardnames yet). As a result, I could multiply the dinky blue attack spell with a Fate trigger, so that it costs 0 and deals 20 damage, and after some fucking around with echo, I had a full hand of those.

Granted, that combo took me some 10 turns of brewing, but it's something novel that I've been having a lot of fun with (and it has potential to be used in actual decks). All in all, calling the game a Heartstone clone doesn't give it justice, and I'm beginning to think it's actually on par with MtG. MtG still has the edge in the cardpool and rule clarity (I didn't really get a lot of cards in Eternal until I actually played with them). On the other hand, Eternal looks like it's got a solid design behind it, and it still has lots of room to branch out. Not to mention, the game is fast and fluid.

It's also pretty generous with the cards. Rares and legendaries are a bother to grind, but they aren't really mandatory to build a bunch of functional decks. A few foundry runs was all I needed to develop a good starting point. I'm quite enjoying playing with the AI because the deck variety is good, and boss mode at the end of the gauntlet is pretty entertaining. Not to mention, the devs get my respect for coding a functional draft (even if it's not 100% drafting experience).

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
If you like combos you might wanna try a deck with West-Wind Herald, Cabal Spymaster, Calderan Gunsmith and Mirror Image.

Not to mention, the devs get my respect for coding a functional draft (even if it's not 100% drafting experience).
Yeah I find the way it works p. clever, though they could do a better job explaining new players about how it works, signals, etc.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Well there was that adventure recently with the theme. It's mostly a red or green tribe except for a few in shadow.

catfood

AGAIN
Pointless for me since I turn the sound off and listen to something else in the background if I'm playing this.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So I'm playing this and it is EXCELLENT. They really hit the sweet spot between Hearthstone's ease of use and Magic's complexity.

I am a bit worried about their payment model though. I have played for 2-3 days and I already have the full Chalice deck minus the 3 legendaries, the complete Feln deck including 6 legendaries and the full Rakano Plate deck (minus 3 legendaries).

All top tier, competetive decks. The rewards you get from Draft are insane if you're any good at the game.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Their payment model is mostly about draft I guess, which is fairly unforgiving. You not only get matched based on MMR but also based on how many wins you have gotten. So your attempt at a 6 or 7 win (necessary for full f2p) will likely be against people who are good and have a nuts draft.

Not even the best drafters can go full f2p.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It's getting the first real new set soon it seems. We'll see if it's worth playing more after that.

I recently checked some streams and it's the same cancer decks all the time, just like when I quit in february.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Always wonder why people complain about seeing the same decks in top tier play TCG constructed. I mean, it's that way in literally every single card game. It's an implicit condition of the genre.

(btw the current Eternal meta in master ranked play is probably the most diverse of any TCG out there right now - you have 6-8 viable decks, but that's besides the point which is... if you don't like seeing the same decks, then why do you play/watch/talk about high tier TCGs?)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I don't mind seein the same decks if they aren't stonescar. The problem is the same decks in eternal are mostly autopilot, so much that even a scrub like me could get into masters ~500 just playing FJS armory and burn queen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom