Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternal card game

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
LOL, played 2 drafts today, got The Last Word in both of them. Tried using it in the first draft in a 3 colour deck, got wrecked pretty badly. Just left it aside in the second draft, did my usual mono red aggro schtick, won 6 straight matches and then ended 7-2. Delicious golds...

Actually have enough shiftstone to outright buy a legendary now, not sure which one I should get. So many really cool ones in this game you can build whole decks around.

J1M

Arcane
The luster on this game is starting to fade as I find most of my losses are due to improbable card draw. (10 sigils, 2 actions, etc)

Would prefer they moved to some sort of dice mechanic where you can select the colors on the faces of a die and each round you roll it to determine mana color.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Most of your losses or most of the ones that stay in memory? :M

(inb4 J1M has the hand draw stats of 200 games on paper)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Having GRINDED a lot, had a bit of gold to spend. Played a Forge (Draft) against the AI. I have mainly been honing this one green deck, and playing it a LOT. Was all psyched to get some NEW AWESOME GREEN CARDS!!!111!!!

Click on FORGE, And then I was presented with 3 choices of your first draft cards: RED, GOLD (or Yellow if you prefer, whatever the color for the Time cards are) or BLUE.

OH FUCK YOU ASSHOLES! :argh: (I am betting the fucking game is tracking this... fuckers).

So, since this is a DRAFT challenge I PICK RED!

Proceed to pick more red cards, and stick to just playing ONE color, because fuck this whole dual power/mana system, because you KNOW you will suddenly get fucked in that department.

Please select: GOLD, BLUE or PURPLE.

OH FUCK YOU ASSHOLES! :argh:

Proceed to now HAVE to make a fucking multi color deck with GOLD (because the one gold card was actually damn useful).

Anyways, try my best to make a forced multi-color deck....

I actually ended up doing OK. Won 5 out of 6 battles. And got a......... decent reward (and cards I think).

There was this one deck I played against, that was like a blue and green, and it was fucking NASTY. All flying creatures, and some just nasty cards. That was my first loss. Do have to say, need to investigate that deck and maybe give that a try. Wish I could have seen more of that deck, though, it killed me so damn fast.

So lesson learned, you CANT do a single color draft. Though I don't know if that is different every time (?) or if it is different of you do a PvP Draft (?).

Anyways, still enjoying this. Now off to try and duplicate that fucking fucking nasty green and blue all flying deck....

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
M8 Two-mana is a non-issue. 90% of cards only require 1x color and there's those power cards that give both colors (plus fixing cards like the colorless strangers that give the 2 colors of each faction on summon).

Playing single green is p. lame considering how well it synergizes with red and white, both factions are p. strong.

Last edited:

catfood

AGAIN
Agreed. Most decks, most of the time are multi-colored in Magic the Gathering as well. I see no reason why this should not be the case as well in this game. I like this because each color has its own weaknesses so it makes sense to add extra colors to make up for them.

Damned Registrations

Just lost another fucking draft because I was forced to go multi colour as well and got mana hosed on 2 games and just generally had a mediocre draw on the third. Had to mulligan all 4 games I played. Jesus christ.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Man you guys are jinxed.

Agreed. Most decks, most of the time are multi-colored in Magic the Gathering as well. I see no reason why this should not be the case as well in this game. I like this because each color has its own weaknesses so it makes sense to add extra colors to make up for them.
They are designed to be played together, the game has 5 thematic factions using 2 colors each (6 factions if you count the colorless/all color strangers), plus it's safe enough to go 3 or even 4 if you happen to come across some really strong cards that are worth splashing. I don't do it but people who are gud at the game do it regularly.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just lost another fucking draft because I was forced to go multi colour as well and got mana hosed on 2 games and just generally had a mediocre draw on the third. Had to mulligan all 4 games I played. Jesus christ.

Oddly, the last draft I played, I did NOT get Power card hosed. I pulled just enough (for the most part).

Damned Registrations

The thing is, magic tends to be a lot slower in draft, so you have time to draw extra colours. You also have better options for mulligans to avoid worst case scenarios. In this, if your second hand is garbage, you're basically boned unless your oponent drew garbage as well. If he curved out properly and dropped something useful 4 turns in a row while you missed 2 turns, you're just fucking done, whether from a clock or card advantage or an invincible board position. The last match I had I killed the first 2 creatures he played, but was then sitting with a hand of 4 to his 8 because he was just making more efficient plays while I was desperately trying to stall him until I could draw a fourth sigil. By the time I did it didn't matter, he had over 10 power worth of shit on the field and enough removal for a total lockdown on me. I eventually played a pair of 6/6 fatties one turn after the other and it was basically just enough to stall him one extra turn, because I couldn't possibly deal with the 7/6 quickdraw or the 8/8 he'd been building up the whole time.

Tempo is so important, and having one colour makes the difference between having to ditch your 1-2-3-4 hand for a second colour you need, and being able to ditch your 4-4-4-4 hand and not worry at all about losing your influences.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Well the problem in this game right now is that it favors early agression too much. There's a reason almost everyone on ranked runs a stonescar or rakano deck.

They need to do something about warcry mechanic, it's way too strong in 1-2 power drops. If the guy gets 3+ free warcries you might as well concede.

Damned Registrations

Totally balanced card right there. The 3 drops green has are insane too; a 1/5 with endurance and a flier. Oh yeah, and the one with aegis, so you can't silence it and can safely equip the shit out of it. Warcry basically just got thrown on top of a bunch of units that were already balanced.

Warcry deck is what I use to grind out the gauntlet, it's basically free wins barring a really good control deck (those ice fairies are annoying as fuck) or some impossible boss rules. The threat of being rushed down generally forces some chump blocking and 2 for 1 trades early on, leaving nothing left to handle the fatties that show up later.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
Well he'll always come out of the trade winning if you ha to use hard removal to get rid of a 2 cost unit.

Depends on how aggressive their deck is and how control-based yours is. 2 cost units can be great Suffocate targets (or Annihilate, to a lesser degree). Of course, green often times isn't that aggro-focused, they just happen to have a great early game thanks to warcry. So green-red aggro: not a bad idea to use removal on warcry, green-yellow tempo: you're probably fucked.

(those ice fairies are annoying as fuck)

Not as bad as Permafrost. Then again, endurance protecting again stuns is kinda bullshit too so it balances out.

Infinitum

Scholar
Not really down with drafting monocolor tbh. If another player drafts the same color getting that curve can be pretty tough. I just play a few more lands than I should and be sure to draft a few 5-6 bombs to make up for it for now. Feels like Stonescar is the best draft target atm since it features a ton of common/uncommon removal and card advantage and generally don't need combos. Having some lifestealers on hand also helps stabilize against the inevitable Fire/whatever rushes. 2 7/2s out of 2 possible with it atm.

J1M

Arcane
Not really down with drafting monocolor tbh. If another player drafts the same color getting that curve can be pretty tough. I just play a few more lands than I should and be sure to draft a few 5-6 bombs to make up for it for now. Feels like Stonescar is the best draft target atm since it features a ton of common/uncommon removal and card advantage and generally don't need combos. Having some lifestealers on hand also helps stabilize against the inevitable Fire/whatever rushes. 2 7/2s out of 2 possible with it atm.
"Another player." You mean the AI that's randomly removing cards from your selection pool? You aren't drafting from the same pack as anyone else.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
"Another player." You mean the AI that's randomly removing cards from your selection pool? You aren't drafting from the same pack as anyone else.
You are, in a sense. The way it works is that it's open packs from the past. 1st and 3rd come from someone, 2nd and 4th come from someone else. That's why it's important to pay attention to the cards available from 1st and 2nd, since if a really strong card from a color is present, it's very likely that strong cards of that color will also be unpicked on the other that came from same person.

It started computer generated but became full-player drafts soon after release the devs say.

Damned Registrations

^This. Obviously since you can take however much time you want to draft, there's no signaling like there is in a normal draft. It's basically a total crapshoot what will be available to you, aside from general trends of what people draft a lot (which seems to mostly just be rare hunting tbh.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom