Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternal card game

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yes, but only if it comes from spells, I guess, not creatures.

I tried it on my own False Prince... in a draft game.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
I'm kinda curious how False Prince and other negative ability units + silences + Mirror would do. Dark Return would have great synergy but adds a third color. And all this just to get "undercosted" units by spending extra cards.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So the game is pretty good? I still couldn't get over the letdown that they had to put lands in here instead of going with the Kaijudo/VS System mana system of who the fuck needs land flooding fuck those cards

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Just working my way through the tutorials so far, but it seems promising. Artstyle is cancer, but the mechanics seem good enough (certainly better than hearthstone and above the average of ftp card games floating around, and it seems like less of a :keepmyjewgold:game than MTG or Hearthstone were. If it's viable to just play drafts all the time I'll probably stick around with it, I love that shit.

Also, this card is fucking hilarious:
CBAA58A82ACE7DFD59CBCCA3E586F04B10F6FB78

da_rays

Augur
It is right? Wait until you get throught the tutorial and get hook on drafting like crazy . 5000 gold is pretty cheap for 4 opened packs. Id advise against rare drafting unless you stumble upon a good legendary card since its so cheap to repeat the process . If you have a decent solid deck , you can ''farm'' the gauntlet for a few packs and gold . and the rank up bonus net you packs too if you complete the ''boss'' from the gauntlet. Wait till deckbuilding after the turorial , I think the addiction is gonna get heavier.

Damned Registrations

Yeah, I was actually really surprised how many cards are available. Been fooling around with a few concepts, Warcry seems really good for a relatively brainless aggro build to farm the AI with. Most of the cheap/decent warcry units are uncommons. I actually love this mechanic, because it smooths out your luck; as long as you can keep pulling off some warcries each round, then even if you're getting drowned in mana, eventually a critter or weapon will pop up and reap the rewards of the dry spell. It gets stopped fairly effectively by heavy investment into a single unit, but people rarely do that because of the risk of losing it to a single kill card. Bit of a shame neither green nor red have any decent hard removal for such things, an early 6/6 really fucks you up unless they misplay things, and silences don't really do much since the stat buffs remain.

Also considering a bounce deck, due to the way cards retain their stats wherever they go, you can do some evil cheese like playing a X/X golem, then bouncing it and playing it again to add even more power. Lots of cards with comes into play effects as well, especially from yellow. And yellow gets the mana elves, which are always OP because tempo is king of the TCG.

My only 'concern' is that the rarest cards really are much better than the common ones, which means ranked constructed is going to be largely dominated by whoever has been around long enough to get all the good shit (or pay for it.) Still, with drafts so easily accessible, I'm not really worried about that aspect.

Was pleasantly surprised by how creative a lot of the legendary cards were, some cool shit in there, I recommend browsing them if you're on the fence.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
OK made it past the tutorial, now have to beat The Stranger.

Keep getting my ass kicked... :negative:

da_rays

Augur
OK made it past the tutorial, now have to beat The Stranger.

Keep getting my ass kicked... :negative:
Go fire/shadow. Lots of cheap removal in both. With a few torchs and some shadow removal ( toss in every u got ) and thé strangers will stop ultra buffing each other.

Envoyé de mon SM-G930W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

Damned Registrations

Go for lifesteal units is my suggestion. You can steal more life than a unit has, so blocking one of the little fucks with your 4/4 whatever will go a long way. Computer also falls for simple combat tricks every time. Attack with a 3/3, use the temporary +3/3 spell, clean up a 2 for 1, easy. And yeah, keep some removal for the ones that deal direct damage or buff everyone a lot, those tend to hang back.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I finally beat him with fire.

Now fucking around with my own custom deck, against the AI for now until I think I have a worthy deck. At least just playing the tutorial (after finishing it), you have enough gold and can unlock at least 5 packs of cards, which is pretty cool.

Also played a draft game (against the computer). I did pretty good, for just beginners blind luck. I didn't quite understand what a draft game was (never played one before). That was really fun. :D Might try a few against a Player, once I understand the cards better.

EIGHT hours so far.... :shittydog:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well we don't want you to win too many Gauntlet events, so we will just make it so you cant even draw ONE Power Card...

FA9C66817E333F39A91221263CDDEFADCA4AD8D9

:roll:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Also played a draft game (against the computer).

The Forge? If yes, then it's different than the Draft (which is against real players) in that you don't draft from 3 cards but from packs, like in Magic.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So how do you say comments? I noticed some people can say some (it seems pre-determined comments) when battling them. I didn't see an option to say anything?

EDIT: RIGHT Click on your Avatar.... :M

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Pro tip if you do the real draft: Don't go rare hunting (unless maybe it's a good legendary or works in your deck anyways) and stick to a single colour. Without all the mana fixers you can use in a constructed deck, dual colour decks get mana screwed too easily to be worth it in a draft. Just spamming low level critters from a single colour is a lot more reliable, and you'll probably get a free win or two against people that got mana screwed themselves. Player draft is expensive, but the last 3 victories are worth 2000 gold each, so it pays for itself if you pull off all 7, and you get bonus card packs as well as the ones you drafted anyways.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
Now fucking around with my own custom deck, against the AI for now until I think I have a worthy deck.

I also put off playing Ranked until I felt I was "ready", but really ranking up is so fast that you might as well start playing against opponents to get a better feel for the game.

As someone else said, Draft is different from the AI version. I would recommend spending your gold exclusively on Drafts, and contrary to what Damned Registrations suggested I say you do go rare hunting. I also recommend drafting a dual-color deck, both because I believe you'll have better odds of winning if you get to pick the best cards from two colors rather than just one and because it'll help you expand your collection faster. Definitely pick pretty much any rare (blue rarity) you see, picking uncommons (green rarity) is far less important and should be weighed against picking a common that works better for your draft. Keep track of how many playable cards you've drafted and how many cards you have left to go, don't want to get to 48 cards and realize you only have 20 cards in the colors you'll be playing. Finally, it's true that getting 7 wins in Draft will pay for itself plus give you a shit-ton of cards, but even with just 1 or 2 wins you end up breaking even with booster packs and you got to play Draft and hopefully get better at it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So I played a ton of Ranked games, using my own deck last night. I now have a ranking of 0. :shittydog:

Oh well, still was fun. Still need to tweek the deck a bit more. Will follow your guys advice above. :salute:

da_rays

Augur
Hail again codexers cards players. Ive been browsing a bit on the net for deckbuilding and some idea to make some out of the box deck. And a lot of decks run with quite a few Seek Power , the colorless 1 cost mana fetch , and a lot of peoples seem to think that are almost a must in a lots of decks. Im running myself a few ''power seeker'' but mainly the faction one with an added effect. So , for thoses who are head plundge into deckbuilding , what your take on this information? Always good to have more power, but i love the added effect ( aegis can save your ass in a lots of situation ) . Its great to thin out the deck too , less powers in the deck mean more chance to get that card you need.
So , in a nut shell , are you guys running a few power fetcher? and which and also why . Just curious about this since i see load of people pplaying Seek power.

Damned Registrations

I was initially, but I phased them out because the game enforces a minimum number of 'power' cards in your deck, so they can't really be used as substitute power cards for a deck on a low curve. I'd say the black and yellow ones are worth running, because their effects are pretty decent. I'd avoid Seek Power itself unless you're running 3 or more colours or running a high curve deck.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Pro tip if you do the real draft: Don't go rare hunting (unless maybe it's a good legendary or works in your deck anyways) and stick to a single colour. Without all the mana fixers you can use in a constructed deck, dual colour decks get mana screwed too easily to be worth it in a draft. Just spamming low level critters from a single colour is a lot more reliable, and you'll probably get a free win or two against people that got mana screwed themselves. Player draft is expensive, but the last 3 victories are worth 2000 gold each, so it pays for itself if you pull off all 7, and you get bonus card packs as well as the ones you drafted anyways.
I've never seen people going single color. Aren't you more likely to screw yourself that way?

I mean you have to be p. unlucky to not have 1 of each color by turn 3.

lol just as I post, see this on a stream:

dzxvwn.jpg
Still doesnt' seem worth having an overall weaker deck, just don't be greedy with your starting hand.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Maybe if you drafted nothing but colour fixers or are playing constructed. Going single colour means you can mulligan your hand purely on the value of the cards without worrying about having the right colours. Drafted twice that way, got 7 wins both times, never lost a match to mana issues or a bad opening hand. Tried drafting 2 or 3 colours, about 1/4 of my matches get lost because I have the wrong colours or had to mulligan a hand to get colours and got one with shit opening creatures/spells. There's also the cycle of cards that scales with influence, which are very strong in mono colour and basically garbage everywhere else.

da_rays

Augur
The whole, you ONLY draw power cards, or you don't draw ANY is starting to get ridiculous.

It really havent happened to me a lot of time , how much powers are you running in your deck out of curiosity? or maybe i just got lucky hehe

And yeah to reinforce what Damned Registration said , in draft its better to stick to 1 color , well if you can. ive been ''obligated'' to run 2 coloirs a few time , but 1 color is more stable . To say its better , well your mileage may vary.

And im gonna leave a bit of info here on the Redraw option which I thought was a plain mulligan, but it seem it gives you a new hand with ''at least'' 2 powers

https://rngeternal.com/2016/12/06/mechanics-explained-redraw-plus-strategy/

For those who want to read the article

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom