Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eschalon: Book III

Amn Nom

Learned
Oh look, another game in the series that tries way too hard to be 'old school', and pretty much gets all the bad parts with none of the good. Gonna safely pass on this one.

Gord

Arcane
Let's see how long it takes them to finish it, I'm looking forward to it.
Also I'd like to know what the community-demanded improvements specifically are.
Anyone here who's visiting their forums frequently enough to know?

Loriac

Arcane
I played the first game quite extensively, and recall putting up some comments on their forum about skills balance (which imo is very poor, as magic is overpowered vs. other skills whilst the rogue skills are very underpowered). From what I saw of book 2 (started it but just couldn't work up the enthusiasm to finish it) the skills were still unbalanced. I expect the same thing from book 3 to be honest.

I get the impression that the designer takes seriously the feedback on his forums from various jokers who believe the game is too hard. Its not, provided you build according to the way the skills system is set up - I recall one fight in particular which the designer thought was an 'automatic death sentence' for characters, as you got dumped naked into a cell with 2 eye beasts (or whatever the beholder equivalents were called) which I destroyed with a level 10 character (levels iirc went to about 17 or 18 in that game).

The combat is also far too simplistic, and that hasn't changed afaik. This game cries out for a well developed action-point based combat system (including a lot more tactical manoeuvres) which would make things much more interesting, but sadly the designer doesn't seem to see this as critical.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I have to agree that I was somewhat disappointed by Book 2. I found Book 1 to be alright for what it was, but with Book 2 I was expecting some sort of progress of the system, to address the most glaring faults.

What we got were Special Attacks for the weapons... and that was pretty much it.

I never played Book 1 enough to get an overview of all the skills and how they relate to one another, but even I could see that there was something wrong with many of them. The Cartography skill is retarded, for example. It fills in the automap, and the level of the skill determines how much of the map is filled in. There are in-game means to temporarily raise your Cartography skill, which means that you can get a more detailed automap without having to invest too heavily into the skill. Except, once this temporary boost is removed, the game OVERWRITES the improved automap information with the old one, rendering the whole practice frustrating, unrewarding and completely pointless.

I pointed this out, along with several other minor problems, as part of my feedback for the first game on the official forums. All of which was promptly ignored. It's one thing trying to be old-school in your design, but that doesn't mean that your work is above criticism, and that there isn't room for improvement.

Book 2 had a nice dungeon, IMO, in the sunken town, but that was pretty much the only worthwhile part of the game. The "bonus" dungeon added with one of the later patches is a joke, and every part of the game taking place in the frozen tundra is pathetic.

I will probably pick this up eventually to finish off the trilogy, but only once I get the game at a discount somewhere.

Tigranes

Arcane
Wait, what? I only played Book 2 but I distinctly remember a lot of grassy environments.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I finished Book I but never got into Book II. I realize it's really the same game - and I guess that's the problem. Don't get me wrong: I could very well live with the dull combat, but the empty world that limits my exploration combined with the worst walking speed of all times kills it for me. So no thanks, I guess.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Wait, what? I only played Book 2 but I distinctly remember a lot of grassy environments.

Ah, I see your confusion. Let me rephrase my words: "Every part of the game that took part in the frozen tundra" - referring to a part of the game. Not the entire game.

Gord

Arcane
What we got were Special Attacks for the weapons... and that was pretty much it.

Yes, the combat system could be made more complex. Book II had 3 attack modes, IIRC, but I didn't ever feel the need to use them.
Adding some more special attacks that have different effects (positive and negative) and can be chosen at will, instead of one special attack at skill 10 with a cool-down and more enemies with special attacks/effects would help.

I never played Book 1 enough to get an overview of all the skills and how they relate to one another, but even I could see that there was something wrong with many of them. The Cartography skill is retarded, for example

I think the cartography skill is a very cool idea, but you are right that the way the spell works is stupid.
Wasn't it removed from the 2nd game? At least I don't remember it from there.
Anyway, the skill system left a lot of room for exploits. It's not necessarily bad, after all it's single player, but some balancing should be done.
I think it has potential, though, as long as you don't mind the inherent pitfalls of such systems (balancing problems/exploits being one).

Book 2 had a nice dungeon, IMO, in the sunken town, but that was pretty much the only worthwhile part of the game. The "bonus" dungeon added with one of the later patches is a joke, and every part of the game taking place in the frozen tundra is pathetic.

Yes, the sunken town was great. The bonus dungeon was ok, I think, but nothing special.
I did spend about 30 min total in the tundra, doing the wolf quest there, traveling to the mq-location and that was about it. If anything it felt very unfinished.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They sent RPGWatch a press release but not us: http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22587 :rpgcodex:

Basilisk Games Announces the release date for "Eschalon: Book III"

Indianapolis, IN - December 3rd, 2013 - Basilisk Games, Inc. is proud to announce that Eschalon: Book III is expected to launch on Windows, Macintosh and Linux platforms on Valentine's Day, February 14th, 2014.

On February 14th the game will be immediately available, worldwide and DRM-free, through our website at http://basiliskgames.com. Eschalon: Book III was recently approved through Steam's Greenlight service and will be available on most major distribution portals on or shortly after its worldwide Valentine's Day release.

“The last game of the Eschalon trilogy is in the final stages of development now and is expected to wrap up in time for next Valentine's Day” said Thomas Riegsecker, CEO of Basilisk Games. “It is really an exciting time for us to see this project finished, and for everyone waiting to see how the trilogy comes to a close.”

Basilisk Games is expected to begin semi-public Beta Testing of Eschalon: Book III in early January 2014 for fans who want to help balance the game before its release. More information on the beta test program will be posted on the website at http://basiliskgames.com in the coming weeks.

tindrli

Arcane
They sent RPGWatch a press release but not us: http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22587 :rpgcodex:

Basilisk Games Announces the release date for "Eschalon: Book III"

Indianapolis, IN - December 3rd, 2013 - Basilisk Games, Inc. is proud to announce that Eschalon: Book III is expected to launch on Windows, Macintosh and Linux platforms on Valentine's Day, February 14th, 2014.

On February 14th the game will be immediately available, worldwide and DRM-free, through our website at http://basiliskgames.com. Eschalon: Book III was recently approved through Steam's Greenlight service and will be available on most major distribution portals on or shortly after its worldwide Valentine's Day release.

“The last game of the Eschalon trilogy is in the final stages of development now and is expected to wrap up in time for next Valentine's Day” said Thomas Riegsecker, CEO of Basilisk Games. “It is really an exciting time for us to see this project finished, and for everyone waiting to see how the trilogy comes to a close.”

Basilisk Games is expected to begin semi-public Beta Testing of Eschalon: Book III in early January 2014 for fans who want to help balance the game before its release. More information on the beta test program will be posted on the website at http://basiliskgames.com in the coming weeks.

some people will never learn

:hmmm:

Tigranes

Arcane
I liked Book 2, it was decent enough although highly limited. Book 3 should be worth a playthrough, I'll see what the price tag is.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I liked Book 2 a lot. I never finished it but I really liked it. Just a bit too repetitive I guess. Will be interested to see if this one can keep things interesting all the way through.

Unwanted

Likvidator

Unwanted
Queued
Can you run from one level to the next in less then 2 hours nowadays or didnt the technology advacne far enough yet?

Tigranes

Arcane
I expect E3 will be almost exactly like E2, so I'm not sure how much I want it. I enjoyed E2 but I had no desire to replay it. We'll see what the release price & impressions are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom