Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Escape From Monkey Island - Worth Playing?

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Which games are you referring to here? I'd say that just about all the Daedalic stuff I've played is far better than EMI, for instance.
The newer Daedalic games aren't really shovelware anymore. What I was referring to was that there was a long period, from around the release of stuff like EMI and The Longest Journey until the birth of Telltale where almost no (commercial) adventure games were made anywhere other than Europe. It produced a whole lot of truly abysmal games, such as Simon the Sorcerer 4, the Runaway games, etc etc.

Eyeball

Arcane
Runaway 1 was actually pretty good, IMO, if you don't ount the bizarre cutscene speech animation. How many games can YOU think of where getting stoned is the right solution to a puzzle?

The other Runaway games were fucking awful and should be forgotten.

Divinity: Original Sin
EMI is the worst game in the series, including the Telltale ones, but it's still better than a lot of the Euro shovelware adventure games that came out after it. Not that that's saying much.

The telltale monkey games are great.

Which games are you referring to here? I'd say that just about all the Daedalic stuff I've played is far better than EMI, for instance.
The newer Daedalic games aren't really shovelware anymore. What I was referring to was that there was a long period, from around the release of stuff like EMI and The Longest Journey until the birth of Telltale where almost no (commercial) adventure games were made anywhere other than Europe. It produced a whole lot of truly abysmal games, such as Simon the Sorcerer 4, the Runaway games, etc etc.

Syberia comes to mind...

Divinity: Original Sin
Unwanted

Magic User

Unwanted
I gave up on Monkey Island after the 3rd sequel. The special editions were good, but other than that I couldn't play MI4 and the telltale games. They were just a huge bore.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
He probably means the mouse control. And apparently not it's not *completely* reliable or wasn't two months ago when i checked. Also it's not in the main residualvm but in a fork.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Funny someone bumped this since I am playing the game for the first time after the recent GOG release. I got to Lucre island and am looking for the robber... I find it funny and charming enough so far to get past the horrid controls and character graphics, but that might change if the gameplay starts to really frustrate. It's a shame the locations can look so nice while the characters look like hot ass.

MasPingon

Arcane
Beware of Monkey Kombat. I can't think of any other game, in which one gameplay element was so misfitting that it ruined the whole experience for me. To this day I'm waking up wet while being hounted by this remembrence at night. Otherwise, it's fun.

RapineDel

Augur
Funny someone bumped this since I am playing the game for the first time after the recent GOG release. I got to Lucre island and am looking for the robber... I find it funny and charming enough so far to get past the horrid controls and character graphics, but that might change if the gameplay starts to really frustrate. It's a shame the locations can look so nice while the characters look like hot ass.

Lucre Island is actually quite good save for a few puzzles. Brace yourself though as it's probably the high point of the game and things get worse and worse from there. Overall I think it's a solid adventure game though and for the year 2000 it doesn't have much competition. I wonder if things like Monkey Kombat were added because of the PS2 port (I know it was ported 6 months later but perhaps they had it in mind).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Lucre Island is actually quite good save for a few puzzles. Brace yourself though as it's probably the high point of the game and things get worse and worse from there. Overall I think it's a solid adventure game though and for the year 2000 it doesn't have much competition. I wonder if things like Monkey Kombat were added because of the PS2 port (I know it was ported 6 months later but perhaps they had it in mind).

I'm finding some of the puzzles pretty abstract. I never would have thought to spray the LeChuck cologne on the kangaroo. That's the one solution I had to google for, and after reading it I was glad I did as I never would have thought of it on my own. Other than that though I have been enjoying Lucre Island very much, outside of the controls.

bddevil

Educated
Simon the Sorcerer 4 is far from an abysmal game.

I would argue that in terms of being an adventure game, it's actually a GOOD adventure game.

Its problems were mainly the engine and the bugs and ugliness (low poly early 2000s) that came from it.

edit: I'm an idiot, I was thinking of Simon the Sorcerer 3D. StS 4 is trash, ya

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Yeah, it has it's moments but it's nowhere near as much fun or as quality a package as any of the first 3 games.

Personally I don't think they've made a decent MI game since the first 3.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Having just finished this, I am very puzzled as to how this game managed to win itself such everlasting antipathy. I can understand people hating it at release because of the weirdo controls and poor 3D graphics, but apart from that it's a pretty solid adventure game. It's funny and has good puzzle design that stays solid throughout. I had fun with it just about from start to finish, except for the stupid final boss fight. It's particularly weird that EMI came down in history as anathema, while Grim Fandango which has the same problems (and more) is regarded as some kind of underrated swansong or whatever.

The way people talk about monkey kombat is also confusing to me - mind you, I'm not going to defend monkey kombat because it largely feels just pointless, but when people describe it, it's like some kind of distilled cancer that makes you want to hang yourself, when in reality you just gotta note down some moves and das it. It's tedious, sure, but it's not, I dunno, the endgame in Divine Divinity.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
The way people talk about monkey kombat is also confusing to me - mind you, I'm not going to defend monkey kombat because it largely feels just pointless, but when people describe it, it's like some kind of distilled cancer that makes you want to hang yourself, when in reality you just gotta note down some moves and das it. It's tedious, sure, but it's not, I dunno, the endgame in Divine Divinity.
While I never cared for Monkey Kombat to begin with, I really hated that part at the end, where you're fighting LeChuck and both your health bars regenerate so fast that neither will ever be depleted. I dunno if that means my copy at the time was glitched or what, and there was some trigger that didn't happen, but it felt like trying to punch a brick wall.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The idea there is you're supposed not to try to harm him, but instead to draw three times in a row, after which you win.

Which is dumb as all hell because this is in no way hinted at and I was having the exact same concerns.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
The idea there is you're supposed not to try to harm him, but instead to draw three times in a row, after which you win.

Which is dumb as all hell because this is in no way hinted at and I was having the exact same concerns.
If only you were there twenty years ago when I didn't have access to the internet. Doesn't help that the copy I had came with a hint guide that felt like a subtle suggestion to buy the real guide book. Suppose that'll do good whenever I get nostalgic for the game again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom