Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Engagement system Solution

hiver

The current implementation of this system went into one kind of extreme by giving this capability to every creature and NPC in the game. This creates all kinds of negative consequences and effects on several big features of the game.

In Josh Sawyer terms, the current implementation of it is completely unbalanced.

Its not breaking the game, but it doesnt bring anything positive to it at all. And it brings a lot of negatives to the way combat functions as a whole.

It hobbles the player, its not even something the player has any control over - and it cripples the enemy Ai completely.
Which creates combat gameplay as it is now. Enemies rush in, everyone gets engaged and then its group gangbang until someone gets exterminated.

For some it may be tolerable, but it can be done in much better ways.

NOT by removing it but by IMPROVING it.

Removing it altogether is just an opposite extreme to the extreme implementation already in effect and that would bring nothing good to the gestalt of the game, very much the same as this current extreme implementation doesnt.

You dont use a screwdriver for everything you do. And you dont throw it away either.
You use different tools in the way that is most efficient. You use a specific tool for specific job or purpose.

SOLUTION:

Engagement skill should be the sole provenance and unique skill of the Fighter class.

It makes perfect sense in every way i can imagine and it would work great in the game built on IE games foundations.

Everyone are complaining how fighters are not interesting for years already, while other classes have all these cool unique abilities and spells and whatnot. So when i first heard about the Engagement it seemed to me it was presented as if it will be addition to fighters class. To my horror i discovered it was given to every single thing in the game.

Such ability is clearly something that requires a lot of training and discipline, but also knowledge, thinking on your feet, being aware of a lot of things in combat situationaly, using it intentionally, with precision and discipline. Ergo - pure trained, disciplined fighter material.

It makes no sense whatsoever for various animals and creatures to have it, or in fact any other class either.
It creates a lot of bad negative effects that were not intended.
It hobbles enemies, it makes no sense to see animals using it at all, or their Ai paying any attention to it, to the point of breaking the whole internal coherence of the setting. It paralyzes the player, and its completely out of player control.

The game enables it for you, and it does so for every single thing that moves in it.
You dont control anything, only suffer through consequences.

If it was an ability that only fighters have, it would or could work beautifully, in several different ways.

1. It would make fighters actually special and unique and very, very valuable as a class.

2. It would free the Ai because now it is completely hobbled by "engagement for all" design.

3. It would make the world and gameplay more plausible, reasonable and logical for players to simply get naturally.

4. it would remove all bad effects current implementation is producing unintentionally.

5. It would allow positioning in combat to be more free, more diverse and thus to play a bigger role.

Therefore, it would improve the whole combat.

Additional measures:

- An engagement talent could be allowed for a very few other select classes, such as specific Paladin builds and maybe Barbarians, but only in its lowest, most basic form. Those classes would not be able to improve it any further.

For example a specific Paladin background could have it already applied - showing that kind of paladin had some military training.
It could be allowed as a talent for some specific classes. A specific Barbarian build could take that talent, signifying a barbarian that had some military training. Various smaller tradeoffs can easily be designed here, if there is any need for it.

But that MUST NOT be allowed to improve over the most basic level - since that should be Fighter territory only.
All the other classes already have their own special unique abilities. Plenty of them.
They really dont need this fighter specific unique ability too.

But fighters surely do. It needs to be something unique to fighters. Their very own area of expertize.

It could be given to some specific enemies or creatures too. But adjusted properly for each of them, as needed to increase difficulty of fighting them, or as sensible as it would seem.

For example:
- some undead that were soldiers in life could still "remember" enough of it to have the most basic level.
- some human enemies like bandits could have it - IF - they are army deserters or similar - and fighters by class.
- naturally any other enemy that would be a fighter class should have it in full.
- it could be added to some monsters and creatures that would reasonably have attacks that would in effect behave like some sort of "engagement-disengagement" feature - but this should be done extremely sparsely and where it would really fit.

Kiting:

The Engagement and disengagement mechanics alone CANNOT prevent kiting, since kiting has TWO parts. Escaping from close or melee range (which is all engagement can affect) - and the ranged part - which should be handled through specific ranged skills.

This is how i imagine it would work in gameplay - with some additional details thrown in for good measure:

Once engagement ability becomes the sole provenance of fighters, with few other select classes being able to have its basic form only...

- The fighter should have better defense or offense against engaged targets.
- He should be able to improve these stats through leveling and increase how many targets he can engage.
- He should be able to occasionally inflict some criticals and various status effects when dishing out reactive disengagement attacks, that should mostly affect enemy movement, speed and agility.
- He should be better at disengaging himself, even doing it with intent and precision- or in other words, be capable of offensive disengagement moves too.

This ability to inflict critical hits, to inflict status effects and to decide exactly which ones should be additional engagement specific skills - therefore unique for fighters - that can be specifically chosen and improved by the player.

When a fighter is able to engage two or three enemies at once, he should be able to choose which ones to engage by aiming and selecting them - provided they are in appropriate range.

That would mean you are using your fighter tactically, to surgically and precisely deal with specific changing threats inside the combat by literally choosing which ones to engage, instead of the game doing it automatically for every single thing that moves.

A fighter that is able to move around more freely, change targets, inflict more critical strikes when engaged, disengage more easily or even disengage with an attack move, all under control of the players of course (plus whatever other skills a fighter has) - is superior by every imaginable measure to current version.

- A Fighter should also have increased chances to disengage without penalty versus other fighters, but usually would be able to move freely and disengage and engage some other enemies as necessary, of course.

So it would be nice if fighter could learn to also offensively disengage at higher levels, by performing a disengagement attack - which would need to be a critical hit, to succeed. (for example)

If it succeeds, the fighter effectively scores a critical hit, achieves some status effect and then disengages from that enemy.
(Which would make natural sense visually and therefore it would be easily understandable to every player.)

- The enemy is momentarily disrupted or even hurt, some smaller status effect is applied... and you move away to engage someone else.
-If you want to.-

So, for a gameplay example....

- when you fight those Lions that can be encountered in one of the maps. -

First, the lions should have bigger stealth in those grasses and their attacks should be sneak attacks that cause knockdowns. And they should attack as a pack more often, with some better movement around and to the flanks,.... instead of suicidally running into the party one by one.

Anyway...

A fighter should be able to engage up to three of them, - by choosing which ones to engage himself.

That would make the fighter:

- Stop them from attacking others,
- Have better defense or offense against them,
- Dish a critical or two if they try to disengage - (which they should since they are animals and cannot be aware of tactics of engagement and disengagement)
- Disengage himself with a critical attack on one (or more) selected targets (or without that move spent if player chooses not to use it)
- Then move away and aim at and engage specific other Lions that would be attacking the rest of the party by that time.

- All these smaller abilities arising from a more balanced design (ha!) should in fact be smaller fighter specific unique skills that should serve as a way for players to improve these additional smaller abilities.

You can introduce these as talents that open up after some specific point in the build is reached.
As skills, or as perks to the skills. Whatever works best.

At the same time, the rest of characters and animals and creatures would be able to move around more freely since nobody would be engaged by everything around them. Which would show in the way Ai is handling combat.

And if you would want to have easier time with such enemies you would then have a very, very good reason to take a fighter or two with your team.

Then, the rest of the classes can play off the fighter beautifully.

Just imagine how nicely a rogue can play off on such situations, against already engaged enemies, locked down by the fighter. What a nice tandem that would make. So natural too. Fighter locks them down, rogue comes from the flanks and they just make minced meat in between them.

Or Fighter and a Paladin, helping from behind with his auras and commands while also being able to fight, only with no or very limited engagement abilities. Behaving more like a commander then a fighter in combat, giving bonuses and buffs to fighters and others in the team.

Same would go for Ciphers, Chanters... anyone.

And isnt that what a party based combat should be?
Using different classes and their supposedly unique abilities so they help and enhance each other and play off each other?

To do that in this case you must first have a different class - which means a class with its own unique abilities.

/

- Yes i am aware the engagement doesnt break the game and you can find ways to abuse it and cheese it.
If thats the highest goal a game combat system should have to satisfy you you can just gtfo and save me or reading such comments.

The purpose of this post isnt to get approval from every schmuck on the codex or anywhere else.

Mister Badler was kind enough to accept this suggestion and forward it up through the devline so the devs should know about it already.

The purpose of this post is to present that there is a solution that is not another overblown extreme of having a mechanic that is applied to every single creature in the game, or overblown extreme of removing it completely.

deuxhero

Arcane
Engagement is broken because movement in RTWP is broken (and as a result, everything tactical ever is also broken in RTWP).

The only way to fix it is turn based.

hiver

Engagement is broken because movement in RTWP is broken (and as a result, everything tactical ever is also broken in RTWP).
Im very well aware that movement in RT of the game is done unscientifically, yes. Made a thread or two about it on Obs forums quite some time ago. Yet thats not the subject here and Engagement working like this would be bad in any kind of "movement".
So you are completely wrong and your "solution" is utterly non-plausible "forum talk" crutch.

Yet another Mangoose self-masturbatory shit post that goes nowhere.
fixed for truth.

You are the only one here that is posting stupid shit to please yourself, turd. Which is your constant pathetic schtick. You plastered some "cool" avatar and you just go around shitting all over, pretending you are so cool. :lol:
Trying to say something that will make someone feel bad so you can lick it.
And feed that shriveling pathetic ego of yours with some shit.

You do that because you are not capable of forming anything else in your stupid rotten little head. You literally cannot come up with anything useful, let alone smart, so turd slurping is all you actually have.
Actual turds have more use than you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter

Typical try hard reply. Thanks for the valuable input.

hiver it's a convoluted way, when the biggest flaw is simply the absurd enemy movement speed. You can't work with a system where everyone is already engaged in the first second. Yes the exact first second.

Engagement is actually kicking in the balls right now because it just means you cant move your tank around to protect the mage, while the enemy is typically more numerous and doesn't really give a damn about saving health (that you can't regenerate). And somehow you can't even run from the enemies because they catch up immediatly and lock you on.

Right now if any of your glass canons don't have max dexterity they won't get a lot of chances to cast any spells before going down.

Bal and Ice didn't had these problems.

Did you beat lord raedric? What lvl and difficulty I'm curious ?

hiver

Im playing on Hard. Just about to get to Raedrick, got the Keep.

Elf Cipher with higher Dex and Resolve, then middle Might and perception, build. Using a bow so far. Bought one fighter and found Aloth, Durance, Edar and the chanter.

Yes, enagegement does those things you mentioned, and a few more negative ones that arent immediately in your face.
As i wrote above...

Maybe worse, its not just those negative effects but it doesnt do what it could do, which would improve the whole combat.
Yes, movement should be fixed too.
But, as far as engagement alone is concerned, i feel this kind of adjustment is what it actually needs.

hiver

I mean a solution that doesnt require making another game. using these same mechanics and stuff.

ugh?

Aenra

i like the idea, but on its own, it would not stand (i think);

one because, and that is my issue with rtwp, it requires a certain degree of AI and pathing that is not present in this game. Or any before it. The engagement system helps to mask this some by making you pick your stand and stick to it. Not defending it, i just think (personally) it is preferable to what rtwp usually amounts to in terms of combat flow and specifics. So many 'release pause and .. clusterfuck' moments in all the previous rtwp games i can think of. True to his nature, lol, he tried to bring some order into it. The stem of the issue being left untouched, your argument would only serve in re-emphasising it.

two because, things being as they are, you are a lot closer to abolishing engagement system altogether than you make it appear. Fighters are just the one class. Barbs, to name an example you mention yourself, they can already rush in, later escape unscathed, or always run to hostiles first (and engage) while you have the rest of your party in wait. So could other melee classes when talented. Unless you spec them for 'speshul' builds, but special should always imply cons and extra considerations in any case. I would not use such cases in order to define the rules.

three because, even going at it your way, you still need to sort range issues. Am not an expert like you folks, so correct me if i am being wrong here, but first time ever i have a wizard that needs to fucking walk all the way to an enemy before he can cast anything non-beneficial. Now of course (to my inexperienced mind) this is done in complementing/due to said engagement system. Removing it would also entail long range needing to find its way back into the game.
(which brings us dead circle back to point one, in the sense of its [range] practical outcomes)

but again, for a fighter-specific tweak on top of (a very LOT) of other changes, i like the idea.
Personally? As i said in a different topic, you could spend the rest of your life iterating on shit, or eschew said shit altogether and go for the superior combat model. This ..system.. is just one more iteration. A noble attempt, but to me pointless. I sincerely hope no more developer wages are spent for it to be further worked on. I do not know why Josh and team are so fixated with it.
Perhaps they see it as the best of two worlds. I see it as less from either.

hiver

- you are forced to do your own pathing anyway, and Ai would actually have an easier and better job when it would not be paralyzed by current version of it.

The stem of the issue being left untouched, your argument would only serve in re-emphasising it.
This is a statement completely unexplained by anything.
therefore - completely pointless.

Yes, fighters are one class, thank you. i explained everything about how and why of the classes. Barbarians and all others have their own unique abilities that fighters do not share.
So they should not be all sharing fighter specific and unique abilities that do require serious military training, discipline and knowledge. So the idea is actually covered from all sides, even realistically natural one.

and ill tell you one thing, when it comes to design of things and how they work with other things, Nature rofl stomps any competition.
-fake edit- :lol:

but first time ever i have a wizard that needs to fucking walk all the way to an enemy before he can cast anything non-beneficial.

yes? what would that non beneficial thing be? and why would you cast it if its not benefitial?
wtf?

Removing it would also entail long range needing to find its way back into the game.
wut? what would long range need to... find its way... back into the game?
are you drunk?

(which brings us dead circle back to point one, in the sense of its [range] practical outcomes)

wat? how the fuck does any of that nonsense come to that? wtf are you talking about?

Personally? As i said in a different topic, you could spend the rest of your life iterating on shit, or eschew said shit altogether and go for the superior combat model.
head in the sand ideology? fantastic.

This ..system.. is just one more iteration. A noble attempt, but to me pointless.
You are pointless to me and to this idea. news at eleven.

-

i really hope you realize these are all rhetorical questions and the lats thing you should do is go and talk more about it. and like... to and explain more of that utter nonsense.

Aenra

for someone calling everyone a dumbfuck hiver, you do sure fail to come off as even of average intellect.
while some parts (which to my limited, newfag equivalent of an intellect seem o-b-v-i-o-u-s) are indeed left out, i would have hoped someone as bright as you of all people would've been able to say, grasp them intuitively?

you always break paragraphs down to single phrase chunks, removing all context and thus allowing for schewed interpretations and altered perceptions to enter the picture as you find fiting. Easier for you isn' it? Helps out..
The purpose being of couse not a discussion, but as indeed Mangoose just mentioned,

Yet another hiver self-masturbatory proposal

you have become a sad spectacle. A few years back, you had input. Now you smear excrement wherever you post. Wish you well, and never let it be said i did not try.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Yet another Mangoose self-masturbatory shit post that goes nowhere.
fixed for truth.

You are the only one here that is posting stupid shit to please yourself, turd. Which is your constant pathetic schtick. You plastered some "cool" avatar and you just go around shitting all over, pretending you are so cool. :lol:
Trying to say something that will make someone feel bad so you can lick it.
And feed that shriveling pathetic ego of yours with some shit.

You do that because you are not capable of forming anything else in your stupid rotten little head. You literally cannot come up with anything useful, let alone smart, so turd slurping is all you actually have.

Actual turds have more use than you do. :lol:
Told you that you were easy.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
hiver Have you even played the game? Fighters gain abilities at every level just like any other class. This is not D&D 3e or even AD&D where Wizards get the toys and Fighters are boring.

dumbfuck.gif

hiver

Aenra
Idiotic vacuous proclamations from a retard such as you matter fuck all to anything.
Except as projections of another stupid shitbrain. Your idiotic post makes no sense taken together or separately when its parts are examined and if you cannot make any sense dont go blaming others for not understanding it telepathically, you cheap retarded moron.
Im not interested in your mental diarrhea, go and fuck off.

Fighters gaining abilities has nothing to do with what i am saying or engagement system - kattze, but ofcourse nothing else is expected of you, being a stupid shit licker as you are. Go back to GD and make shitposts there.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
hiver could make good posts. Shame he writes like an alien who doesn't understand how basic human interactions work.

Perkel

Arcane
If you need 4 A4 pages to "fix" engagement then you know OP is retard.

I am yet to play high level PoE but:

- generally i like engagement. You can specialize your warrior into stopping mashine with high deflect so that rest of party can shoot enemies
- problem is created when there is shit ton of enemies. Since every enemy has engagement mechanic you can quickly get clubbed to death since your fighters can't move away to protect for example mage without getting engagement attack (which is like 99% sure hit) from several different enemies he is engaging.
- moving away ranged character is pain in ass since it is RTwP and you can't predict how they will behave if enemy is near them

I was kind of surprised that engagement wasn't so broken but it isn't perfect like in TB games (for obvious reasons).
So for now how would i fix it ?

- less chance to hit moving away from engagement. Currently moving away is like 100% hit even with items that should help you and high deflect
- more movement options. This is natural for TB game like ToEE but here you have like only 1. Normal walk. Let's introduce for example "defensive movement" where character can move and engage at same time positioning enemy for different characters.

So by choosing defensive movement you can move your engagement without releasing from it and essentially move enemy with you. Con would be less defense and movement would be only possible in 140 arc from enemy so you wouldn't be able to move him to front only back or side.

This could also lead to other types of movement like offensive movement which would be available mostly for warriors and by doing that you would be able to push your engagement and enemy to front if your might is greater than enemy might.

So this could lead to situation in which for example:

Mage is attacked and warrior is fighting already someone. Warrior uses defensive movement and backpedals with his enemy near mage. Warrior now is able to target other enemy without going out of engagement and since enemy will prioritize bigger threat it will change engagement from mage to warrior. Thus mage is free to move away.

hiver

hiver could make good posts. Shame he writes like an alien who doesn't understand how basic human interactions work.
Thats not basic human interaction, thats two imbeciles making vacous declaratory statements and empty assertions that they cannot support by anything, and when that is pointed out to them they reply with more idiotic assertions, strawman arguments and retarded ad hominems.

here is another example:

If you need 4 A4 pages to "fix" engagement then you know OP is retard.
Really? How so?
Because you just said it - eh?

In what kind of devolved logic is a post that explains the idea and provides examples of how it would function in gameplay - retarded?

problem is created when there is shit ton of enemies. Since every enemy has engagement mechanic you can quickly get clubbed to death since your fighters can't move away to protect for example mage without getting engagement attack (which is like 99% sure hit) from several different enemies he is engaging.
No really? You dont fucking say? Amazing! Who would have thought that!?

moving away ranged character is pain in ass since it is RTwP and you can't predict how they will behave if enemy is near them
Whoa... gee perkel, thank you so much for presenting these mysteries of engagement system to everyone!
Nobody knew that but YOU!

Mage is attacked and warrior is fighting already someone. Warrior uses defensive movement and backpedals with his enemy near mage. Warrior now is able to target other enemy without going out of engagement and since enemy will prioritize bigger threat it will change engagement from mage to warrior. Thus mage is free to move away.
Just imagine this playing out with fighters dragging enemies with them and backpedaling around while engaged already which would presumably work for enemy fighters and every single creature in the game too.

Norfleet

Has this system changed from before, where players would bait enemies into eating massive numbers of disengagement attacks?

hiver

As far as i know the system hasnt been changed at all since its inception.

Some enemies will change targeting and go for someone else and thus suck a disengagement attack, thats true. But it happens very rarely and you as a player have ZERO influence on any of it.
You dont decide when and how to engage, except just coming close to someone and since EVERYONE has it, its all the same. You cant make enemies try to disengage, which they dont most of the time since Ai wont do that unless its intentionally lobotomized, - its all done automatically out of your control. Player agency - zero.

You as a player can go around collecting cloaks that give you disengagement bonuses and selecting a few such skills for a few classes so you can cheat that system and thats it.

hiver

Effects of the engagement as it is now:

- makes the combat even more static then it was before.

- removes and disables various tactical possibilities and options in combat.

- adds completely artificial and practically stupid tactical considerations to the combat.

- it hobbles the Ai drastically.

- it hobbles the players drastically.

- makes player pause even more then before.

- make you invest in "lower disengagement chance to hit you" talents and items to be able to play the game - which is basically what Sensukis "no disengagement mod" does too. Neither change the Ai to acknowledge any of the changes.

- grants the same ability to every creature and class in the game which makes utter non-sense and results in the effects numbered above. And it makes no sense whether in context of the setting internal logic and consistency or how it plays out in gameplay.

- its all happening automatically, without any specific details or difference - to and for everyone and everything n the game - without any player input or player agency.

It is in fact a crotch that serves as an excuse not to design various combat movement mechanics and skills.

- it does not prevent kiting.

- it does prevent player and enemies from disengaging any enemy - BUT does so in a completely overblown and retarded manner. As described above.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom