Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Enemy spawn mechanics in Baldur's Gate

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Nice necro you guys. BTW when I said thief-girl I meant the shitty thief found in Baldur's Gate, late in the game.
Which one?
Skie.png
Alora.png

I :love: BG1 portraits much more than BG2 ones.
the left one.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Ajantis is hardly a bad character while Garrick is literally the worst character in game.

Nice necro you guys. BTW when I said thief-girl I meant the shitty thief found in Baldur's Gate, late in the game.
Which one?
Skie.png
Alora.png

I :love: BG1 portraits much more than BG2 ones.

One of the few things that BG: EE did was make Alora's (the right portrait) rabbit foot useful.

Still you can't get her until chapter five at the very earliest.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
So how important is Charisma in BG1? I know my 2 cha dwarf couldn't recruit Minsc, which forced me to have Jaheira talk to him instead of me.

Does this affect anyone else?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Charisma affects NPC's reactions. And unlike BG2, those are actually important in BG1. You can miss out on companions, items and information if you are bad with people.

Sometimes you can make another character speak for you, but more often than not it is your party leader that is doing the talking, and people mostly leave the protagonist is that role.

pippin

There was a guy who had a Nymph Cloak in Beregost.
Also, yeah, the portraits were way better in 1. At least wymyn looked like real wymyn.

MrMarbles

Cipher
There was a guy who had a Nymph Cloak in Beregost.
Also, yeah, the portraits were way better in 1. At least wymyn looked like real wymyn.

Algernon at Feldepost's. You can also get one later i Baldur's gate. Friends, raising your reputation and the Tome at the Gnoll Stronghold are also options.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Holy shit the Firewine bridge god damn Kobold Commandos keep spawning WHERE ARE THEY COMING FROM

Revenant

Oh holy fucking jumping shitty balls, why did you have to move my long-dead thread to the gay subforum :decline: :retarded: :prosper: :mob:

Revenant

diagnosis - autism

why don't you move to your appropriate forum, scalie

ArchAngel

Arcane
I like mass spawning in certain areas, it simulated that tribes living there are massive and they come to kill you from all around as they hear you invaded.

Giving them a bit different yells to represent this would have hammered this home.

DraQ

Arcane
diagnosis - autism

why don't you move to your appropriate forum, scalie
Butthurt confirmed.
:smug:
Problem?
I like mass spawning in certain areas, it simulated that tribes living there are massive and they come to kill you from all around as they hear you invaded.
And keep coming even after you must have effectively surrounded yourself with a barricade made of corpses. :M

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Ajantis is hardly a bad character while Garrick is literally the worst character in game.

From a stats perspective maybe that's true; his Int 13 makes spell scribing a nightmare and you can't just lower the difficulty for 100% scribing success, like in BG2. But then, that's what Potions of Genius are for, isn't it. Bards are pretty useful utility characters, able to wave wands (they're OP, prolific as loot and every kind is sold in infinite quantities at Sorcerous Sundries), fire Bolts of Lightning from the Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy +5, ID items quickly and without using up first circle spell slots; plus spells with level-based variables are slightly more effective cast by Bards due to their thief-table progression and tenth level attainment under the TotSC experience point cap.

I would rather Garrick in the party than Ajantis from a strictly "How useful are you, really?" PoV.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
What, don't you people savescum on scribing spells? :M

I'd be a liar if I denied ever doing it, but I try not to. BG1 spell scroll drops are pretty generous, so I think it's part of the game to wait until you find another. Spell scribing failure is more of a problem in IWD1 due to the limited, hand-placed spell scrolls. In BG2 I turn the difficulty down for certain spells that seem unfairly flagged as almost unscribable, even for geniuses.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah enemies constantly respawn in Firewine, sitting in the central chamber isn't such a good idea. Usually what I do is push down the correct maze path and leave one character at the back with a good AC to protect the squishies while my main guys go up the front.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Playing this for the first time atm.

Was looking for Baldur's Gate threads to post in rather than create a new one and this title stood out to me as being one that involved a subject I was going to comment on!

I am so not used to an IE game providing respawns. In fact, the whole random encounters element, in the maps that is, not in the regular between maps random encounters you'd find in a lot of D&D games, to be really quite strange. There seems to be three or four different mechanisms in play at the same time. Here's some new ones I think I've encountered that's not yet mentioned:

While wandering around one of the maps I encountered a pack of wolves. Because I wasn't high enough level to tackle them easily yet I took a few out and then retreated. While circling the mountain they were next to I found that coming from a different direction, now north instead of south, meant that they were no longer there. Which makes me think a lot of the random encounters/spawn spawn from trigger points. Like little hidden landmines.

Earlier on, while kiting that first Ogre with the belt of transgender, kiting because I was still level 1 I think, I found that enemies spawned and then respwaned even within the same encounter. I cleared all the map except where the Ogre was (he's a static hand-placed encounter) then used one character to lure the Ogre into a more open area where I could play chase-me while the team pelted him with arrows. During this fight a small group of xvarts spawned to the north and buggered up my plans. On the next reload the spawn was wolves and I had no chance. On the third reload it was xvarts again, but I had now planned for them to join the fight and sorted them while the ogre was busy chasing me round and round a tree. But then a group of gibberlings sprung up from the south, and I had to do the tree thing again. At the exact moment the ogre fell my lurer also caught a single blow from the ogre and I had to reload the whole fight again. Same routine, different monsters spawning all over the place. Again, I think it was trigger points, as the monsters always came from the same place (even though the map had already been cleared).

I had no idea BG was so...

crazy_man_going_insane_wearing_a_straight_jacket_0515-1007-0603-5226_SMU.jpg

With regards to its respawns. It's certainly something you have to take into consideration as a major aspect of gameplay.

But anyway, onto my question, which was why I was looking for a good thread:

It took only 9 in-game days to get to chapter 2, I was a bit shocked as to how quick it was all progressing. But its now game-day 47 and I'm still in chapter 2 and starting to worry that I've missed some drop or NPC which triggers chapter 3. I've been all through the mines to the south and have now cleared every single map south and/or east/west of Nashville and haven't found a single "document" about the problems in the mines. I have 2 pots of the green gloop but no-one seems interested in those. No-one seems to care that I've cleared the mines. The only guy that cares is some guy near the temple of Nashville who wont let me 'complete' the mine quest until I give him some documents, and I'm assuming this is what triggers chapter 3? Maybe it doesn't.

I'm aware that the game has the possibility to be bugged as earlier in the game one of the taverns had no named NPCs in it, but later on it had a rogue in it that stole some money then gave me a quest. And I don't think quest-giving NPCs have day/night cycles.

I'm quite happy just wandering about clearing maps, but I'm just getting a bit concerned about the bug aspect.

I don't want any spoilers though. None at all. I haven't done the Bridge yet and I'm currently assuming the next progression point is in the bridge map...

So if the answer is "bridge map" just say "bridge map" or "you're fine, it'll come" or something similar.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Are you playing vanilla BG1 or the EE version? Both suffer from annoying spawn systems.
Personally I liked TuTu's system and I'm happy with BGT + BGSpawns.

Did you open Mulahay's chest? Not the one containing his heart, but the one with the documents? Taking the documents starts chapter 3.
You did enter the cave opening on lvl 4, right?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom