Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Endless Space 2

Somewhat excited. Lets see how this goes.

covr

Prophet
Patron
The prologue cinematic for Cravers is surprisingly shiny, seems to have higher budget than all ES1 movies. They are trying to attach wider audience with sfx and explosions. The Sophons intro is still a typical slideshow.

rvm1975

Educated
The prologue cinematic for Cravers is surprisingly shiny, seems to have higher budget than all ES1 movies. They are trying to attach wider audience with sfx and explosions. The Sophons intro is still a typical slideshow.

quality cinematics are one of good things brought by SEGA

covr

Prophet
Patron
I guess that sega might brought also better QA and possibly longer post release support. I am quite optimistic about this change.

rvm1975

Educated

DramaticPopcorn

Did these jokers hosting the interview even know what genre this game is? This is unbearable.
Yeah I gave up 2 minutes in, clearly not right crowd. At the same time, couldn't shake the feeling that there's not a whole lot of improvements over ES / EL.

covr

Prophet
Patron
God, their games are really pleasing in terms of aesthetics. The UI seems to be balanced, good looking and just functional. New faction is bit too cartoony and cheesy for me, that mafia vibe, huge breast leader...I am not sure if it fits well with the previous endless space game. Didn't really see new mechanics in action because of those motherfucking hosts - they are acting like they are waiting to get laid for the first time. Fucking Seth Rogen and his gay-hipster-robot gayfriend.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

8:56 that ground battle animation looks cool!

end2.png

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Game looks good, the one of the two guys commenting though.... Fuck off "bro"

covr

Prophet
Patron
Not so sure about that battle grounds battle, is looks artificial and kind of placeholder. Maybe it's deep, I didn't date to turn sound on for the video.

DramaticPopcorn

Not so sure about that battle grounds battle, is looks artificial and kind of placeholder. Maybe it's deep, I didn't date to turn sound on for the video.
It's just an animation with no direct control, same as it was with ES 1 space battles.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Any world on if the space battles are the same crap of the first game or if the player actually has control this time around.

Luka-boy

Arcane
That land battle looks to me as if they combined the battle planning from Master of Orion 3 and the land resolution screen from Master of Orion 2.
1yca99.jpg

2mylvz.jpg

DramaticPopcorn

Any world on if the space battles are the same crap of the first game or if the player actually has control this time around.

Here's the relevant timestamp (11:25).

They didn't show the "battle" itself, but I assume it's the same animation-only, with only the control over how your ships "behave".

Beowulf

Arcane

It looks pretty similar to ground battles in Distant Worlds, but in isometric view.
The art is superb, as usual, and they always had a knack at creating factions that are different and play differently (especially in EL); but I hope this time they can improve the AI, because that's the factor that dragged their games down, and made them boring after some time.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Here's the relevant timestamp (11:25).

They didn't show the "battle" itself, but I assume it's the same animation-only, with only the control over how your ships "behave".

That looks like it's exactly the same thing of ES1, little to no input, just watch pretty animations. Automatic no buy from me, they fixed the shit combat with Endless Legend, now they regress again.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That looks like it's exactly the same thing of ES1, little to no input, just watch pretty animations. Automatic no buy from me, they fixed the shit combat with Endless Legend, now they regress again.
I thought the whole point of this game was to fix that rock paper scissors shit from ES. If they're sticking with that, the only major flaw of the first game, :decline:. Would have morgoth'd this one for sure if they made a proper pew pew system. Even just space combat. No one gives a shit about ground.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I always lamented how ES1 was a graveyard of great ideas. They had so nice system management interface and such a bad combat and diplo system...I am cautious to be hyped by ES2.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Wouldn't really call it fixing, the combat was still absolutely horrible and best autoresolved.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Am I the only one who doesn't really care about the battle system? You are going to autoresolve everything in the middle of game until the very end. However I believe that they announced some changes in the battles, more similar to EL or Disciples. It was a year ago so it could change, though.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Oh for fucks sake guys, I know this is the Codex and everything is assumed shit until proven otherwise, but give Amplitude at least some credit. ES1 was mostly a pretty game without soul, but it was their first game as a studio. Since then they've had two really solid titles. Endless Legend has it faults, but it's also the most innovative 4x gane in a decade, and Dungeon of the Endless was p. fun for a couple of weekends, which is as much as I expect from $9.99 game with pixel art. They've certainly learned a lot, so let's not kill this thing dead before it's even out. I certainly have more hope in this than it Stellaris, which is an unfixable mess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom