Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Endless Space 2

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nice. They generally are very active with patching for all their titles. Is anyone here actually playing this?

Grif

Learned
Automatic combat does eliminate the problem of weak ai considering no ai will ever able to even match even a call of duty player in turn based manual combat.
So even if the ai does everything right and is supposed to win you can just declare war and stomp him easily.
Of course what this means is that any game utilizing automatic combat needs to have a pretty good empire building game play element to compensate,and also needs to have varied factions.
Endless space 2 and legend cover the interesting factions part while the empire management is debatable.
But they just can't seem to make a functioning empire ai in all their games,making the game a joke in terms of difficulty and replay ability and nullifying any point in having automatic combat.
I mean machines are good optimizing and crunching numbers and that is all the empire ai is.
How they fuck it up is mind boggling.

Considering Paradox consistently fucks up their AI as well, I'm not entirely sure if the problem lies with Amplitude solely.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Considering Paradox consistently fucks up their AI as well, I'm not entirely sure if the problem lies with Amplitude solely.

The difference is that Paradox has insufferable fanboys who will make excuse for every fuck up.

Mortmal

Arcane
Nice. They generally are very active with patching for all their titles. Is anyone here actually playing this?
yes and so far its good, they took the best from endless space and endless legends and put it together. Artsyle and music are great too , it help to get immersed into and there 'sgood story telling, wich is quite odd for a 4X. As for the combat its stack vs stacks , not unlike stellaris the best one win . At least the choice of modules seems to make a difference in this game.

Silva

Arcane
Yep. Got the Cravers to see the game combat. So far, it's good. Watch out for the cpu suggested tactics though - it suggests the "Turtle" card all the time, even when fighting opponents with beam weapons (for which it's useless).

My only criticism, and this is totally subjective on my part, is the game feels more like a fantasy in space than the first installment. Too many silly fantasy races. But then, not all games can be Alpha Centauri, ne?

i just tried it. it feels somewhat needlessly complicated to understand, with numbers and names all over the place, but also it seems to have more mechanics than stellaris which is good. barely enough, but good.

and holy fucking fuck turns take so incredibly long to be calculated @_@

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
yeah I made a mistake starting right away, I'm on impossible and I can easily wreck the AI since they can't design ships for shit and end up having about half the attack power of my ships.

one of the worst offenders is the tech tree: it's small, oh god smaller than my dick, and yet it's a nightmare to figure out which discovery does what.
and yet it has awesome ideas, like (if i understood correctly) by getting rid of scattered bases and with strong defenses, a strategy based on powerful ground troops is viable.

Mortmal

Arcane
Gonna demo it and post impressions. Bought in Endless Legends hype back in the day, and while the foundation was there, the game never really took off even after few years of DLCs and updates.
Wouldnt recommend demoing it, they hotfix and patch things frequently . Anyway at 5 am i was still on it... It's one of the best space 4X i ever played , maybe the best, its worth the purchase.

one of the worst offenders is the tech tree: it's small, oh god smaller than my dick, and yet it's a nightmare to figure out which discovery does what.
and yet it has awesome ideas, like (if i understood correctly) by getting rid of scattered bases and with strong defenses, a strategy based on powerful ground troops is viable.

There's smalls icons on the side of the tech names, they tell you the extra bonus for exemple if the tech gives more fleet capacity. You have to use the tree search engine frequently , say you find rich arctic planets next, juste type arctic , and it will highlight the tech needed , click on it it will plan the path for you. Its a bit overwhelming and each civ has speciifics stuff .Less mainstream than stellaris that's for sure.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
ElichTV is streaming ES2 and talking about bugs. So you can get the full course even without buying it. The exploration missions are nice. But tech tree is weird. And ground battles horrible.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
yeah I made a mistake starting right away, I'm on impossible and I can easily wreck the AI since they can't design ships for shit and end up having about half the attack power of my ships.

So just like Endless Space and Endless Legend. I'm getting kinda tired of Amplitude. They can shit out the most amazing production values but they fail at gameplay. It was novel the first few times but I kinda want a fun game to play by this point.

RPG when?

It's amazing that they haven't announced one yet, but I'd be very surprised if they never made one.

flyingjohn

Arcane

So just like Endless Space and Endless Legend. I'm getting kinda tired of Amplitude. They can shit out the most amazing production values but they fail at gameplay. It was novel the first few times but I kinda want a fun game to play by this point.
AAA dev in the making.
But isn't this the norm with all 4x games releases in the last 10 and so years.
Distant worlds may be the only exception,but the general norm is game play doesn't sell while graphics do.(and this is actually proven)
So this is the best you are gonna get for years to come.

both previous endless games made of their interfaces the best part.
this one gave me a mild panic attack because informations are scattered, hard to reach or plain hidden.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
fighters and bombers aren't in the game yet but they are coming in a free update very soon
Guess who goes to sleep at 7 AM because tried to build a carrier?
1. Performance. Even at the beginnig you wait minutes until a round is over. At round 280 ... forget it.
2. What kind of game is it? Realtime or roundbased? Why the ♥♥♥♥ the devs mixed. Never mix both. It is just crap.
3. Clickin three to four times on the End Round button until it works! Holy crap.
4. Round starts and the enemy movement still isnt finsihed. My commands still dont work, has to wait more as 10 sec until i can play.
5. Played with pirates. What a highlight no pirate lair nooo. They just spawn evry round. Pirates.. Round 20 switchted of combat animations. Round 100 pirates. Round 280 more pirates, where the heck they coming from? Renamed the game icon to endless pirates... This is a sort of action i ever wanted dear devs. Thank you the awesome pirates.
6. Diplomacy. Kind of a joke.
Well, that's short summary from a steam review.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm having immense fun with this game. Grabbed a quick victory science victory with the sophos and after thar started leecing the shit out of galaxy with Vodyani.
sure the combat is shit (its like a football manager sim) and AI is brain dead as usual, but the lore and playstyles make up to it for me.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How can they make the AI so shit even when there are literally no battle tactics to consider? Pfffff. Still I don't think I'll hold on for long :P

Jinn

Arcane
Why can't they just make a GOOD BATTLE SYSTEM? WHY? What makes them look at something like this and say "oh yeah, the player will really love this battle system with no real player input."

That said, will probably be trying this in the near future regardless. <3 space strategy games.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
You can auto resolve it. There also "skip to action" and 4x fast forward buttons while watching the battle. But very large fleet battles probably become a problem in late game.

Quatlo

Arcane
Man, this game is fucking boring :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom