Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

4X Endless Space 2

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by covr, Aug 8, 2015.

1. covr Cipher

covr
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Since Amplitude Studios had shown their latest baby on the Gamescom 2015 , I feel obliged to shamelessly copy-paste known features of ES2. Original thread here: http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/showthread.php?80670-Known-Feature-thread

It sounds like Endless Space mixed with Endless Legend and Civilisation IV with all expansions. Which is good.

EDIT: Early access confirmed for 2016.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. covr Cipher

covr
    Parrots:
    Still better then current combat system.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. covr Cipher

covr
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  4. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
  5. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. covr Cipher

covr
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  7. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    I just quoted game of one company, it has nothing to do with nationality, and the first isn't RTS. Considering homeword isn't exactly counted as RTS either and the second was inspired by homeworld...

^ Top  
  8. bonescraper Guest

bonescraper
    It will be like Endless Legend. Why? Why do they avoid combat with actual player input?

^ Top  
  9. covr Cipher

covr
    Parrots:
    Maybe they've got poor combat AI programmers? It makes little sense, but there must be some reason.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. whatevername Arcane

whatevername
    Parrots:
    They heard the rumor spewed out by nuMoO devs that 90% of MoO players don't use combat. So they thought nuMoO's target audience is consoletards and now they want to compete for that market.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    The ship battle announcement is not the complete story. We didn't get much in the way of hints out of them, but there will be more to it.

^ Top  
  12. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    I enjoyed ES1 but I found combat in EL better so I don't mind if ES2 follows that design.

^ Top  
  13. Suicidal Meat Slapper Learned

Suicidal Meat Slapper
    Parrots:
    I can see some potential in this. ES1 was a solid game on its own, even with the lackluster combat, and was an easy way to kill some time. Definitely going to see how this turns out.

^ Top  
  14. Jimmious Arcane

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    I think the concept is that you play as the emperor (or something of the sort) of a whole civilization , so actually commanding each regiment/ship in battle doesn't make sense. I can live with that as an approach.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Best SF show ever. Someone needs to make a 4x or RPG in that world :D

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Jimmious Arcane

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    Haha or that, I guess they could do that too:greatjob:

^ Top  
  17. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    There was an explicitly Farscape-inspired Star Control 2 clone shown at Gamescom.

^ Top  
  18. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Name?

^ Top  
  19. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    Actually creating battle plans and then allowing it to run at some speed, can be done on purpose. First it's more honest as it disallows absurd tactics. Second, it allows playing battle at high speed, and still have feedback which wouldn't happen with autoresolve. Basically they are planning to do something like Dominions 4 did, and I don't see people complaining about lack of direct control in D4.

^ Top  
  20. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
  21. covr Cipher

covr
    Parrots:
    So it's Endless Legend in space. I'm sold. But also worried.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    I like it a lot that they are using what they learned from Endless Legend and applying it to make a better ES. Endless Legend is my most favorite 4x fantasy game after Master of Magic and I now have high hopes for ES2.

^ Top  
  23. Papa Môlé Arcane

Papa Môlé
    Parrots:
    AMPLIFIED REALITY

^ Top  
  24. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Amplitude have one of the best PR departments in the indie sector. Good thing they also make good games.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    Parrots:
    As long as they stick with "Three weapon types- Three protection types", instead of MoO formula of "Lots of weapons - only two armor types" game will be tedious boring shit like original ES was. Dipomacy was godawful, never even touched the screen because it was useless and boring.
    Ship design was one of THE most horrible parts of the game. Manage 1230983241709812340971209 slots of engines, armor, shilds, lasers and million other shit to find that after only a few turns your ship is dead obsolete and you have to start anew. It is much simple to mash "Automate design" and build tons of shitty ships to swarm the enemy. Game had potential but mechanics were disgusting and retarded. Should they learn, maybe ES2 will be neat, but i'll tale it sceptically until release.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)