Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Endless Legend, fantasyland trying to fix Endless Space's flaws

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
founder's hall mill settler settler is my usual opening

add a library after the first settler if the capital has poor food tiles

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
It seems the new expansion is out. Anyone tried it?

I've got it. Forgotten play just like cultists: good at making dust, and needs influence so they can do espionage. They can also tech like crazy because they can only buy science, and it's fairly cheap.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
New faction that has stealthy units and can't produce research, but can buy technologies with dust (or steal them). Their faction-specific skill tree for heroes looks incredibly shit at first sight.

Espionage is the new mechanic, you plant a hero in another faction's city and when he accumulates enough "spy mana" you can do stuff (need to pay a bit of influence also). I've been stealing technologies for like thirty-something influence all day, worked 6 times in a row and my spy wasn't even detected.

They ask for some serious geld for this new DLC, especially since last EL DLC didn't changed that much. In fact, I barely noticed it being there other than those heroic deeds pop-ups. I think I'll wait for some massive discount because 13 merkelbucks is too much for poor porato as me.

uaciaut

Augur
Got it on sale on steam about a week back, p satisfied with the game so far.

Zeriel

Arcane
It's great in every way except the combat, which is so bad it almost holds back everything else. So, a lot like Endless Space. I wonder if they'll ever try to make a good combat system.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
It's great in every way except the combat, which is so bad it almost holds back everything else. So, a lot like Endless Space. I wonder if they'll ever try to make a good combat system.
Honestly I'd rather have that silly card system back now. It's almost insulting that theres a spectator mode.

I assume the intent of Endless Space's approach to combat was to make things easier to implement for multiplayer especially for high player count, and then Endless Legend comes out and throws that concept out the window entirely.

exe

Augur
Can anyone explain the manual comabt to me? My heroe seems to randomly ignore my orders, I told him to move to another tile and he didn't do anything. Also do ranged attack after I told them to move if a unit is in range?
I'm playing my first game as the wildwalkers/elfs, what does their shaman unit do? It shows me their trait, but I found no way to see what that trait means unless I research it. Big Treant guy worth it as meatshield for my archers? Should I research Tier 2 techs or bother with 1 or 2 more Tier 1s when I already have 9?
Got some tips on which minor factions are worth to assimilate? I have no clue what most traits of units mean yet, some have empire wide bonuses, which sound like the best. Sometimes I can't tell if it's region wide or empire wide, like with the silics +0.5 ressource.

ArchAngel

Arcane
1. Combat is intiative based. Everyone gets one action, and you can either attack or defend with it. So if someone with better initiative attacks your hero that hero will use his one action to retaliate and that is it for this turn, he cannot move or attack. So plan rounds and actions based on who is going first. If you got high initiative units you can use them to make sure enemy units stay in place instead of move to melee your archers.
2. Any melee are good to block passages toward your archers.
3. You leave tier 1 tech as soon as you can, and never research weapon and armor tech in tier 1. Later grab only some needed tier 1 tech and if you must. Each tech you research makes it so next research costs more and the game does not care if you researched 10 tier 1 or 5 tier 1 and 5 tier 2, the cost is the same (cost also depends on number of cities you have).
4. As for expanding, do lots of scouting in the beggining by splitting your forces you get at start. You need to find places to settle. Good ones are those that have lots of special tiles close to each other, especially food and production or those that have 3 minor races in one area. Never settle areas with 1 minor faction and only with 2 if 3 are not around.
5. Get as many quests from minor factions around you as you can and try to do the one that will get you most villages in one region. Quests pacify all villages in region and add population to your city there.
6. For optimal start you want to settle a city on turn 20 or 21 and another on 40 or 41. Why? Because every 20 turns you get to choose a Civic policy and the cost to get enough good ones depends on your number of cities. So 2nd city before turn 20 will probably make it so at turn 20 you get nothing while these bonuses are really good and should not been ignored. Once you got 3 towns you can go into battle mode, get some tier 2 equipment for your troops and go conquer the weaker member (or the one that didn't ask you to sign a peace treaty).
This tactics let me beat AI on 2nd hardest difficulty multiple times with multiple factions (it is not identical with all factions but the small differences you need to learn yourself).

exe

Augur
So when expanding, you should look for good/many minors? Even if that means you don't get connected territory? There is no distance based penalties, just the amount of cities? I read up on districts, how strange. So more than 3 cities at the beginning is enough? It seems there is only one approval building per era, there is only expansion penalties to approval and no population ones? So you can grow your cities as big as you want?
What are the cutoff points for approval? Over 90 is fervent, below that happy, and then?

ArchAngel

Arcane
You should look for close by area for second city, the creatures there don't matter only the number of villages do. Having your city there gain instant 2-3 population is a boost that gives you an edge over AI. In comparison buying off minors only gives you that one village while conquering it means you have to spend 5-10 rebuilding each village before you gain the population.

Taking a more distant but much better area is always risky if there are enemy close by.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Getting one city per 20 turns is a good growth so you can keep up with civil bonuses. If you want to conquer stuff that 4th city is better taken from AI as you can get a more developed one while also whiping his army.
Building city districts is a choice. I usually don't rush it as good morale is very useful during building troops and conquering phase. Also it is more useful to build other buildings and districts once you got nothing better to make. You have to learn how to make them (piramid design is easiest) or they are only morale destroyers.

ArchAngel

Arcane
One of the awesome things about this game is that each faction plays different enough so you have to change your tactics to suit them. No other 4x made is as good as this, at least no non-space 4X

exe

Augur
When you conquer a city, you need to pacify them for x turns, while the approval builds, do I need a garrison while that happens? Also is there a way to speed it up, since you can't raze it till it's really yours, which takes like 10 turns or more. Really stupid.
Units go up in price a lot with every era, so should I spam out cheap units early on? They don't seem to cost upkeep, only armies do?
Does the era increase also happen when the AI researches enough, or is it for every empire seperate? Because I randomly got to the new age researching some outdated tech.

ArchAngel

Arcane
When you conquer a city, you need to pacify them for x turns, while the approval builds, do I need a garrison while that happens? Also is there a way to speed it up, since you can't raze it till it's really yours, which takes like 10 turns or more. Really stupid.
Units go up in price a lot with every era, so should I spam out cheap units early on? They don't seem to cost upkeep, only armies do?
Does the era increase also happen when the AI researches enough, or is it for every empire seperate? Because I randomly got to the new age researching some outdated tech.
You cannot speed up the time it takes before the city is under control. And yes, price of units is connected with quality of their equipment.

exe

Augur
Yes, I know that. I meant units increase in cost with every new era because they start at level 2/3/4 instead of 1. Level on units doesn't seem to be worth the increased cost.

exe

Augur
Is there a way to speed up unit movement/attack on the map/battle?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom