Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
There's also "The Eye".
The Eye is a goddamned treasure trove of gaming books/manuals, but I've found it sadly lacking in quality sets. Mainly because it didn't state their provenance. Which is kind of important.

lightbane

Arcane
:decline: Did they change to become that after the Big N sued them, or did they cuck themselves for no apparent reason?

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
:decline: Did they change to become that after the Big N sued them, or did they cuck themselves for no apparent reason?
From what I understand (not a firsthand witness), it was in response to a round of legal action against a bunch of other sites. GBAtemp flipped out, and that was that. This should not be confused with the "ROMpocalypse" that happened this summer; the event in question was several years ago.

Panzer Dragoon Orta is fully playable in the latest dev build of CXbx-Reloaded. I love this game, still have my original Xbox disc stored away somewhere.

It's very impressive how far this emulator has come this year. The game runs just fine at full speed (native resolution, 640x480) on my very modest i5 3570k (4.4ghz), but there are some audio glitches (sometimes music doesn't loop and sound samples get repeated). Nothing major.

The only problem I have right now is that the game runs at 4:3 and running the emulator at fullscreen stretches the image (forcing aspect-correct scaling at the driver level doesn't work). I am downloading the official Microsoft dashboard to install it within the emulator and see if I can set a 16:9 from the Xbox system settings. Right now I'm running it windowed.

edit: I installed the original dash and it worked fine, however there's an easier method: just go to settings -> eeprom and you can set resolutions from there.

This is great news. I am looking forward to replaying this game as well as Otogi and Ninja Gaiden Black. There were some cool games on that console.

pdo_1k3e4t.jpg

pdo_2rhi9d.jpg

pdo_3zaidf.jpg

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What are the xbox exclusives worth to be played?
Fusion Frenzy was really fun back in the day. I know there's Kingdom Under Fire games, Otogi as well. If the emulation scene got really impressive we could get that SMT Japan only game as well.

Don Peste

Arcane
What are the xbox exclusives worth to be played?
168639-breakdown-xbox-front-cover.jpg
37609-brute-force-xbox-front-cover.jpg
19313-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-xbox-front-cover.jpg
59683-conker-live-reloaded-xbox-front-cover.jpg
25177-dino-crisis-3-xbox-front-cover.jpg
368351-dinotopia-the-sunstone-odyssey-xbox-front-cover.jpg
39064-dungeons-dragons-heroes-xbox-front-cover.jpg
189634-galleon-xbox-front-cover.jpg
26453-grabbed-by-the-ghoulies-xbox-front-cover.jpg
28579-hunter-the-reckoning-redeemer-xbox-front-cover.jpg
47722-kingdom-under-fire-the-crusaders-xbox-front-cover.jpg
38618-kung-fu-chaos-xbox-front-cover.jpg
37742-otogi-myth-of-demons-xbox-front-cover.jpg
20117-phantasy-star-online-episode-i-ii-xbox-front-cover.jpg
121929-raze-s-hell-xbox-front-cover.jpg
171493-shenmue-ii-xbox-front-cover.jpg
17037-star-wars-obi-wan-xbox-front-cover.jpg
19441-toejam-earl-iii-mission-to-earth-xbox-front-cover.jpg
26676-voodoo-vince-xbox-front-cover.jpg
66063-whacked-xbox-front-cover.jpg

Breakdown, Brute Force, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Conker, Dino Crisis 3, Dinotopia, Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes, Galleon, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Hunter: The Reckoning - Redeemer, Kingdom Under Fire, Kung Fu Chaos, Otogi, Phantasy Star Online, Raze's Hell, Shenmue II, Star Wars: Obi-Wan, ToeJam & Earl III, Voodoo Vince, Whacked.
Edit: Check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360

Bonus
Metal Wolf Chaos is a third-person shooter video game developed and published by FromSoftware, released for the Xbox in Japan on December 22, 2004.

The game revolves around a fictitious President of the United States named Michael Wilson. Using a suit of powered armor named Metal Wolf, he battles forces who have taken over his country in a coup d'état, including his nemesis, Vice President Richard Hawk.

Although released exclusively in Japan, Metal Wolf Chaos has full English voice acting.

This one has rats.

Plain silly.

For the 360 I can add: Halo 3: ODST, The Outfit, Saints Row I, Doritos Crash Course.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
FYI Phantasy Star Online, Voodoo Vince, Shenmue and eventually Metal Wolf Chaos are on PC.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Who here has experience with second gen. systems? I can't for the life of me figure out if Intellivision or Atari 7800 are emulated well enough to be worth my time....

spekkio

Arcane
I've removed games available on PC and trimmed my Xbox "collection" to this:

uxzaWOg.png

Checking the /V/ list is really depressing. A few exclusives, a lot of multiplatform games, but how many of them can be really called great?

Beyond Good & Evil was decent, but not the best Zelda clone.

Riddick was one of the first popular consolefagged FPSes. Eeeh.

DOA? Boobs are always nice, but it's not that the genre evolved that much since the SF2 era, is it?

Doom 3. :roll:

Morrowind? Hiking simulator genre emerges. Wheee!

Fable. AWESOME design gimmicks. Can we get the gameplay back?

Halo. Got the casuals into the FPS genre. #nukeitfromorbit

Indigo Prophecy: Press X to pay respects.

Ninja Gaiden: supposedly great (haven't played yet), but isn't it the series with each next game being worse than the predecessor? :(

Oddworld: Loved first two Abes, but going 3D turned out to be a difficult task for devs... See also: Castlevania.

Splinter Cell: see Ninja Gaiden, 1st game was probably the best.

Kotors: Last good Biowhore / Obsidian / Star Wars games. And were they really that great?

Thief 3: inferior to first two games in every possible way. The Age of Decline is upon us!

tl;dr

A really depressing platform, marking the end of the Golden Age...

Now let me go back to modding the hell out of Archimedean Dynasty. I mean - fuck me! Game was made in 1996 and it hasn't been surpassed by any other game from the genre in almost 20 years. Plus the genre of X-Wing / Wing Commander "arcade-ish sims" is p. much dead.

#releasethekraken

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
I've removed games available on PC and trimmed my Xbox "collection" to this:

uxzaWOg.png

Checking the /V/ list is really depressing. A few exclusives, a lot of multiplatform games, but how many of them can be really called great?

Beyond Good & Evil was decent, but not the best Zelda clone.

Riddick was one of the first popular consolefagged FPSes. Eeeh.

DOA? Boobs are always nice, but it's not that the genre evolved that much since the SF2 era, is it?

Doom 3. :roll:

Morrowind? Hiking simulator genre emerges. Wheee!

Fable. AWESOME design gimmicks. Can we get the gameplay back?

Halo. Got the casuals into the FPS genre. #nukeitfromorbit

Indigo Prophecy: Press X to pay respects.

Ninja Gaiden: supposedly great (haven't played yet), but isn't it the series with each next game being worse than the predecessor? :(

Oddworld: Loved first two Abes, but going 3D turned out to be a difficult task for devs... See also: Castlevania.

Splinter Cell: see Ninja Gaiden, 1st game was probably the best.

Kotors: Last good Biowhore / Obsidian / Star Wars games. And were they really that great?

Thief 3: inferior to first two games in every possible way. The Age of Decline is upon us!

tl;dr

Now let me go back to modding the hell out of Archimedean Dynasty. I mean - fuck me! Game was made in 1996 and it hasn't been surpassed by any other game from the genre in almost 20 years. Plus the genre of X-Wing / Wing Commander "arcade-ish sims" is p. much dead.

#releasethekraken
This is entirely expected considering the history and design architecture of the console. The only major Japanese support that thing got was from Sega, right?

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Splinter Cell 3 is the best one, everyone knows that. Not much reason to emulate when it's got a really good PC version, though...

spekkio

Arcane
Oh. I've only played 1 & 2 so far, and 2 was decline. Good to know that 3 is worth playing.

Depression decreased by 1%.

Definitely play Panzer Dragoon Orta. I think it's the best game on the system (tied with Ninja Gaiden Black). Some of the other Sega 'exclusives' are pretty good too, but I don't know if they've aged well (Gunvalkyrie comes to mind, JSRF was decline compared to the first JSR).

I remember that my Xbox was mainly used as a media and emulator box before such things became trivial (this was back in 2003 or 2004), XBMC (which later morphed into Kodi) was a great piece of software. It was a great homebrew machine (due to the x86 architecture) and the first time I installed a modchip myself.

However, despite these good memories, I hate the console for bringing about the true age of decline. I think a lot of what is wrong with videogames today stemmed from it - railroaded, health-regenerating FPS, recent formulaic Bioshit, sub-30fps being considered acceptable (a lot of PS2 titles, especially early ones, ran at 60fps), etc.

lightbane

Arcane
Good to know that 3 is worth playing.

Not regular 3 though, but the "updated re-release" it got later. IIRC the original third entry has bad gameplay, too much story-faggotry and fucking Ryu Hayabusa whinning about killing way too many people. It was the same kind of rape Samus went through Metroid Other M.

sullynathan

Arcane
Good to know that 3 is worth playing.

Not regular 3 though, but the "updated re-release" it got later. IIRC the original third entry has bad gameplay, too much story-faggotry and fucking Ryu Hayabusa whinning about killing way too many people. It was the same kind of rape Samus went through Metroid Other M.
Splinter cell 3 not shitty ninja gaiden 3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom