Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Panzer Dragoon Saga is a really cool game. It's on the short side and there's quite a few action flying sections (it is a Panzer Dragoon game after all), and it's probably very tough to look at these days, but I'd say it's worth checking out.

Shining Force 3 is a cool game but I hate the art style. Camelot games of the period all have this weird pre-rendered aesthetic that has aged really poorly. Shining the Holy Ark is a blobber but it's really basic, it's similar to Shining in the Darkness with a few more elements. Also looks like shit.

Saturn has the best version of Grandia, but you've probably already played it on the PS1. It's a charming little game and well worth playing.

Not an RPG, but Legend of Oasis is a cool sequel to Beyond Oasis. It's a great-looking 2d action/adventure game that's similar to Zelda, but with fighting move inputs for different skills.

There's also standard animu shit like Magic Knight Rayearth and Albert Odyssey, but I'd feel dirty playing those at my age.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I remember reading that the Saturn version of the Llylgamyn Saga (Wiz 1-3 remake/remaster collection) has 1 extra dungeon but:

- I never was able to find information on whether it is 1 dungeon or 1 FLOOR
- I never was able to find any footage of it
- I never was able to determine if the bonus content is in Wiz 1, in Wiz 2 or in Wiz 3 or if it is seperate

flyingjohn

Arcane
So for anybody wondering Tokyo mirage sessions is completely playable in cemu with only a couple of small issues:
-Random static audio in some intervals.It goes away when entering anew area and you can still hear the original sound/music.
-Blurriness on npc/objects.Some objects in the backgrounds are sightly blurred out.This also applies to npc when talking to them,they will look slightly blurred,but the text will be fine.
And that is it for the issues.
I also recommend you play with the uncensored patch:
https://pastebin.com/srWVeteR
Just follow the instructions.

Also a little tip for anybody wanting to emulate pc88 games use pc88 ma:
http://nenecchi.html.xdomain.jp/180508/pc8801ma.7z
It works amazingly well and you don't need to mess with settings.If you prefer something newer there is a unofficial version of m88:
https://illusioncity.net/PC88/M88-2.21a-20170616.zip

For anybody interested in games here are your options:
-Most if not all games will be in Japanese,so if you don't know moon speak stick to action/platformers.But you will be missing out on a huge amount of adventure/rpg games.
-A huge selection of adventure games(half of them are probably eroges) and visual novels.Some of them are even made by popular companies like enix.And there is a couple of rance games.
-I would not recommend shmup and games with a lot of action on screen because the pc 88 is quite sluggish when it comes to sprite generation unfortunately.
-Most games you can find on the pc 88 have other versions(mosty for pc 98) but they will also be in Japanese unless the game has a dos port.For some reasons Sierra ported some games tot he west for some reason.
-If you are interested in Nihon Falcom games,there are plenty of them (xanadu,popful mail,ys,etc)
-The music capabilities are quite nice for a quite old machine:

The graphics still maintain the unique style the 98 had but with lower color palette:
510913-rance-hikari-o-motomete-pc-88-screenshot-is-this-the-missing.gif

519451-hokuto-no-ken-pc-88-screenshot-ken-s-memories.png

361047-bandit-kings-of-ancient-china-screenshot.jpg

506947-ys-ii-ancient-ys-vanished-the-final-chapter-pc-88-screenshot.gif

If you are interested in games recommendations here is a couple of links:
http://www.blockfort.com/game-lists/pc88/
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/pc-88/
Also you can go to moby games and choose pc 88 and filter by developer and see if you can spot a familiar name to try out.
All in all quite a interesting system.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The best ports of the original versions of Wizardry 1-5 (i.e. Wireframe) are on the PC-98. The specialized Kanji chip allowed to anti-alias the text and the wires.

The PC-Engine has remakes of early Wizardry titles that have custom OSTs and sprite work, and those served as the foundations for almost every single other remake of early Wizardry such as the SNES versions.

Playing some Armored Core 3 (PS2). I think FROM is developing a new AC so I'm revisiting some of the old games. The bummer about emulated AC3 in PCSX2 is that I have to run it in software mode, else it slows to a crawl for some reason. Software mode gives me a locked 60fps, but it's pretty tough to play at this resolution, everything turns to mush. I was reminded of Heavy Gear 2, but the levels are really small here, at least they have been so far. Perhaps they open up later.

gsdx_20180621005426uzkca.png

gsdx_201806210101242gjjc.png

Ninjerk

Arcane
You know they aren't developing another Armored Core because that would be the best timeline to be in.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
By the time Halo 3 is emulated correctly, Microsoft will have ported the Master Chief collection on PC.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
isn't Lost Odyssey already on PC? am I thinking of something else? Also there was another x360 jrpg called blue dragon or some shit like that.

isn't Lost Odyssey already on PC? am I thinking of something else? Also there was another x360 jrpg called blue dragon or some shit like that.
Nope, Lost Odyssey was never released outside the 360. It wasn't an especially great game but I played through it because of the music.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Is there any way to stream android emulators to pc/tv without letting the perfomance going to shit?

I tried vysor but its shit, might be because the demo doesnt allow any video settings customization and is only software rendered but i dont want to spend money only to find out it wont work.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Tokyo Mirage Sessions is fully playable. Hell, I'm even running it at 1440p resolution, that's how playable it is. Cemu really is a very well made emulator.

TMS-01.png

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Tokyo Mirage Sessions is fully playable. Hell, I'm even running it at 1440p resolution, that's how playable it is. Cemu really is a very well made emulator.

Not surprising given that Cemu was mainly written by the dev who also made the popular nintendo DS emulator for android that is so efficient it can run better than desmume on low end PCs through android emulation.. yes. DraStiC is the work of the same dude. Some black magic being used to make smartphones run many games at a decent speed.

Dude knows his low level optimization job. A fine art, that is being lost over the ages.

flyingjohn

Arcane

Not surprising given that Cemu was mainly written by the dev who also made the popular nintendo DS emulator for android that is so efficient it can run better than desmume on low end PCs through android emulation.. yes. DraStiC is the work of the same dude. Some black magic being used to make smartphones run many games at a decent speed.

Dude knows his low level optimization job. A fine art, that is being lost over the ages.
Shame he can't use his magic to fix bayonetta 2.It has been broken for months.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
BTW, I tried out and have been playing both Nier: Gestalt (the first Nier, on PS3, and pseudo-prequel to Automata) and Drakengard 3, both on RPCS3. Both play just fine on my i5 cpu and 1050 gtx gpu.

It really is a great time to emulate shit.

EDIT: I'm using the july 6th official build of rpcs3.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Is it normal that Zelda BOTW is pretty slow on my I7 4790k ? It's okay in Wilderness area, but Link walks in slow motion in towns.

Definitely playable though.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
no, slow motion should not be normal. you probably aren't using the optimal settings for the emulator, as there are a bunch that are added with Cemuhook.

If you don't know what Cemuhook is it is "third party" DLL addition that you drop into Cemu folder and it will add new options to Cemu, and configuring those are the key for perfect BotW frame rate.

This guy covers cemuhook and its options:

spekkio

Arcane
Updated my journal 1st post.

Changes:
  • NDS: removed vanilla DeSmuMe (screen rotation is available in Retroarch's main menu AFAIK).
  • DC: added Reicast regular and Reicast OIT Retroarch Cores, uploaded and linked bios pack for them.
  • PS1: removed PCSX-R. Beetle-PSX-HW has both Hardware rendering and PGXP now. Resistance is futile.
  • Added Tical's antediluvian computers corner.
Also, I've tested both Reicast cores on Retro 1.7.3.

Just remember to put all three bios files into /system/dc/ directory, not the /system/ directory as with almost all other emus. Reicast core will create additional files in this subdirectory.

cn0zyxx.jpg

SFZWcIB.jpg

sdLvVuA.jpg

CAovqWg.jpg

prqevjo.jpg

3gBrXci.jpg

:dance:

ATM increasing internal res leads to glitches, and switching from full-screen to a window crashes Retroarch. :roll:

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
no, slow motion should not be normal. you probably aren't using the optimal settings for the emulator, as there are a bunch that are added with Cemuhook.

If you don't know what Cemuhook is it is "third party" DLL addition that you drop into Cemu folder and it will add new options to Cemu, and configuring those are the key for perfect BotW frame rate.

This guy covers cemuhook and its options:

Could be my issue.

I downloaded ZELDA BOTW + CEMU in a package that was from before the game was fully playable (physics and water were not working) ; since them I've updated the cemu.exe but I don't think I bothered updating or looking into CEMUHook. I will before I launch the game next time.

flyingjohn

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom