Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Play your games in the correct aspect ratio, man! :argh:

Was jonesing for some Tenchu action. Decided to play Wrath of Heaven (the first PS2 Tenchu) as it's been an eternity, I remember Fatal Shadows a lot more. It's way clunkier than I remember. I started trying to be all ninja stealthy:

gsdx_20180409214243dlsc0.jpg

But then decided to just say fuck it and the game has a lot of unavoidable fights anyway. It's very stiff and the combat system gives you almost no options.

gsdx_20180409215019x6snt.jpg

A job well done.

gsdx_201804092151471mse7.jpg

Rikimaru thug life. Just short of that Grand Master ranking. :positive:

It hasn't aged very well, and the soundtrack is a weird mix of ambient electronic and ancient japan ethnic instruments. Still, I'll play a few more levels. As I remember it, Fatal Shadows was a lot better.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
Was jonesing for some Tenchu action. Decided to play Wrath of Heaven (the first PS2 Tenchu) as it's been an eternity, I remember Fatal Shadows a lot more. It's way clunkier than I remember. I started trying to be all ninja stealthy:

gsdx_20180409214243dlsc0.jpg

But then decided to just say fuck it and the game has a lot of unavoidable fights anyway. It's very stiff and the combat system gives you almost no options.

gsdx_20180409215019x6snt.jpg

A job well done.

gsdx_201804092151471mse7.jpg

Rikimaru thug life. Just short of that Grand Master ranking. :positive:

It hasn't aged very well, and the soundtrack is a weird mix of ambient electronic and ancient japan ethnic instruments. Still, I'll play a few more levels. As I remember it, Fatal Shadows was a lot better.
Much better protagonist than a barbarian, wouldn't you say, ERYFKRAD?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I played Tales of Vesperia on XBox360 and liked it, the PS3 version is bigger, there's no official translation for this version but they're an unofficial one.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The PS3 Tales of games are p okay.

You'll have to have a high tolerance for animu tropes and cliches, though.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I don't know if you guys haven't read about this yet but apparently the original lead dev of CITRA has left...

...to work on the current SWITCH emulator. :nice:

Nathir

Liturgist
aweigh

Have you played different versions of Persona 1 and 2? If yes can you explain briefly why I should play the PS1 versions or the PSP versions? What are the differences etc.

In translated Persona 1 PSX port (called Revelations: Persona) they cut out alternative route called 'Snow Queen Quest' which is the fucking essence of this game (best dungeon in any Persona game). PSP is an obvious choice since it has both routes, only drawback is dat horrible j-pop soundtrack but it can be fixed with patch that restores original music.

P2:IS PSP has better interface than PSX one but suffers from censorship connected with nazis- Hitler is now Fuhrer and wearing cool sunglasses etc.

For PS2:EP play PSX port since PSP is only in Wapanese. The latter has moar content though.

v1rus

Arcane
Ffs. Trying to get Epsxe running with the best looks, but the game keeps getting too fucking fast, even when i limit skip fps. ANy ideas?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Ffs. Trying to get Epsxe running with the best looks, but the game keeps getting too fucking fast, even when i limit skip fps. ANy ideas?
IIRC newer versions of epsxe have an overclocking feature to help with certain games that inherently run like crap in original PSX. Maybe you've enabled it? Using it with most games will make them run faster than normal.

v1rus

Arcane
IIRC newer versions of epsxe have an overclocking feature to help with certain games that inherently run like crap in original PSX. Maybe you've enabled it? Using it with most games will make them run faster than normal.

Thats it! Tyvm brah :love:

v1rus

Arcane
Now, just to find out optimal max settings without fps drops.

Thought that with gtx 1060 and i56600k i could run it as best as possible, but, turns out im wrong, sine im getting constant fps drops.

EDIT - NVM, got it fixed somehow. Now, the only question remains, is there a place which lists individual fixes for the games?

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
I've been wondering if anyone here play Castlevania Chronicles for PS1. I know it's a remake from Sharp X68000 game, but I'm curious if it's worth a try since I only finished SOTN.
I tried it briefly and it's hardkore oldshit castlevania (platformer, not metroidvania, time limit, infinite enemies hitting ass and leg, etc.). Stopped playing due to not enough interest.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
what are the best graphical settings possible on epsxe and pcsx2? could somebody post screenshots of the menus with the relevant options ticked?

a link to a (current) guide to the myriad options (especially pcsx2's many graphical options) would also be very welcome.

v1rus

Arcane
This is what I've been using. Seems to be working fine with everything for now.

JOL52qP

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
what are the best graphical settings possible on epsxe and pcsx2? could somebody post screenshots of the menus with the relevant options ticked?

a link to a (current) guide to the myriad options (especially pcsx2's many graphical options) would also be very welcome.
With PCSX2 you can use Gsdx's external shader, which works somewhat like sweetfx. You can find screenshots and settings I've used for SMT3, I posted here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-megami-tensei-ps2-games.111194/#post-4812179

You can also use shaders with petes openGL renderer in epsxe. There's a hread in gnemu with a shitload of custom shaders. Most of them are crap or can work on very specific games. Some are good scaling shaders, some even add bump mapping (which can look good sometimes and sometimes really bad).

After a lot of testing my opinion is that shaders should be mainly used to improve the washed out colors of psx games and maybe to upscale 2d games. And always with subtlety, or else they will make the game look worse.

x5xSK9M.jpg

I've been wondering if anyone here play Castlevania Chronicles for PS1. I know it's a remake from Sharp X68000 game, but I'm curious if it's worth a try since I only finished SOTN.
It's awesome and not really a remake, it's pretty much exactly the same as the X68000 original (there's an "arrange mode" but that only changes Simon's sprite and the BGM as far as I remember; I think you also don't get knocked back on hit in this mode but I'm not sure. Anyway, the original version is also available).

It's also one of the hardest games in the entire series (although not bullshit like Haunted Castle). Basically it's a remake of the very first NES game. So, it's not at all like the later Metroid-inspired games like SotN. It's a linear platformer.

The BGM is great, with some nice renditions of classic songs. The arrange mode has some clunkers with very weird instrumentation, though.

100% recommended.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom