Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
SCO Mozg

The psx opengl and vulkan renderers have been broken for me for months (amd card, windows). That really needs to be fixed to run proper high resolutions. Also for some reason it only lets you expand the resolution by powers of 2 which means I can't have the best res for either my 1200p monitor (240x5) or my shitty 768p TV (240x~3).
Ah, you're talking about mednafen there? I noticed the bizarre aspect ratio, but i verily noticed more bugs on beetle-psx. Though to be honest, it's sort of what i can expect with a ancient GPU on a malfunctioning computer.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I had to write an AutoHotkey script for ePSXe in order to be able to utilize Numpad Enter key as my "Confirm" button (X/O).

The fucking thing doesn't let you map neither Enter nor its Numpad equivalent during control configuration!

CITRA didn't allow me to map ~ key, and I like using ~ for opening the game's menu.

I like having my hands on WASD for D-Pad movement, TAB for bringing up Inventory/Map, "F" for whatever game button brings up some sort of Map or Sub-Menu, and Enter/NumpadEnter for interacting/confirming/talking with NPCs.

Lastly, I like mapping ~ to the ingame options menu, which usually is either select/start or something like that.

If the game uses the triggers, I map L1/R1 to "1" and "2", and L2/R2 to "Z" and "X". If there is a universal "Cancel" button, which, I map it to "C".

So, yeah, what is the point of this post? To showcase my extremely efficient emulator control config setup for keyboard (fuck joypads), and to brag about how I use AutoHotkey.

Post your crazy configs too! A friend of mine who is quite possibly a serial killer uses WAXD instead of WASD for D-Pad movement.

Crazy!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
SCO Mozg

The psx opengl and vulkan renderers have been broken for me for months (amd card, windows). That really needs to be fixed to run proper high resolutions. Also for some reason it only lets you expand the resolution by powers of 2 which means I can't have the best res for either my 1200p monitor (240x5) or my shitty 768p TV (240x~3).
Ah, you're talking about mednafen there? I noticed the bizarre aspect ratio, but i verily noticed more bugs on beetle-psx. Though to be honest, it's sort of what i can expect with a ancient GPU on a malfunctioning computer.
Yeah retroarch mednafen port. I keep meaning to file a bug report for the resolution multiplier, but then I think why bother.

Siveon

Bot
playlist support says fuck you if you try to scan a hardpatched hack or translation
This, man. I love Retroarch for being somewhat easy to set-up and for the nice PS3/PSP UI, but I don't get why I can't just sort out my own playlists. If there is a way of doing that, I can't find out how.

EDIT: In unrelated news I got the Langrisser PC port running on Windows XP Mode. I kinda want to throw more old games at it but I'm not sure where to look.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
There are supposedly user made scripts and utilities on their forum to populate the playlists and bypass the checksumming. The hilarious part is that the checksumming is purely optional and ideological. If you don't do it, some features will not work (their pretty pictures of the games or the new netplay lobby or maybe the ridiculous 'retroachievements') but it's nothing fundamental. There could be the same feature right there in the menu, but they hide behind 'users are lusers and we don't want to support the multiple formats they'd ask for or have to warn not to add a GC iso to a psx playlist' and 'i don't want to debug a hack and find the bug is in the hack not the emulator' like that actually happens.

Even funnier, if you are using a core that can softpatch - some hardcode disable it, another case of 'screw users' - you can workaround this (names/pictures will still be original language though).

Just terrible user disrespect. This is going to be even funnier when they finally release their dolphin core they've been working on for years, because the upstream dolphin 'scrubs' isos when compressing them and this scrubbing had two versions (FFFF and 0000). Which means many many dolphin users have at least 2 versions of the games, which aren't in any 'redump' list, in which case it will not be only the rare 'expert' user bitching about having to use the command line to play translations, but everyone that ever used dolphin to compress isos bitching their 'non-patched' collections won't scan and they trying to shift blame to dolphin.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Probably they won't even have a GameCube or Wii scanner. The only CD system they support now is PS1 I believe (I had to make my Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, and TGCD lists by hand). Also I don't think the PS1 scanner even uses MD5 sums like the rom scanners. It seems to go through the cue sheets and trust them.

This, man. I love Retroarch for being somewhat easy to set-up and for the nice PS3/PSP UI, but I don't get why I can't just sort out my own playlists. If there is a way of doing that, I can't find out how.
In the playlists directory the .lpl files are just text files you can edit. The format is

path to rom
Game Name
path to retroarch core (this can be DETECT)
system name (this can be DETECT)
crc code

For the systems I mentioned above as long as the game named matched the database, it seemed to work fine. I just put 00000000|crc as the CRC (that's what it is for ps1 games). It will use the name of the file as the playlist name in the UI. So if you want the icon of the system it has to match their database names, but you can do custom lists.

EDIT: In unrelated news I got the Langrisser PC port running on Windows XP Mode. I kinda want to throw more old games at it but I'm not sure where to look.
You should switch to Virtual Box imo. You get 3D acceleration that way.

Edit: they support psp isos too

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I'm unable to boot any of the crappy Guardian Heroes isos for Saturn in RetroArch. It just displays them as music cds after boot.

Siveon

Bot
In the playlists directory the .lpl files are just text files you can edit. The format is

path to rom
Game Name
path to retroarch core (this can be DETECT)
system name (this can be DETECT)
crc code

For the systems I mentioned above as long as the game named matched the database, it seemed to work fine. I just put 00000000|crc as the CRC (that's what it is for ps1 games). It will use the name of the file as the playlist name in the UI. So if you want the icon of the system it has to match their database names, but you can do custom lists.

That sounds like an annoying amount of work that could be easily automated. Playing from history is fine enough already since I have my ROMs as the default content directory. It's unorganized but it's not like I'm playing 30+ games at once.

You should switch to Virtual Box imo. You get 3D acceleration that way.
Probably a good idea, though it took enough work to get XP Mode working. Do you know of any games that would benefit from this? None comes immediately to mind for me.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
it truly is easier to simply download an already-ready (heh) .ISO of your game than to try use cd-access; hell, even ripping your own game yourself usually results in problems when trying to get whatever emu it is to read it.

(illegal) emulation has become so prevalent that it's just easier to find and download an already ripped version of your game, which would actually be legal (right?), and play that digital-file on the emulator instead of dusting off your actual physical media or whatever.

the dolphin thing brought up above is yet another reason to simply find, download and utilize whatever ripped versions of games are currently "in circulation".

tuluse

Arcane
I'm unable to boot any of the crappy Guardian Heroes isos for Saturn in RetroArch. It just displays them as music cds after boot.
I tried to send you a PM, but you have your profile limited.

That sounds like an annoying amount of work that could be easily automated. Playing from history is fine enough already since I have my ROMs as the default content directory. It's unorganized but it's not like I'm playing 30+ games at once.
I just like looking at the pictures. With that format in mind, you cant automate it to a degree. I wrote a python script to fill in my missing isos.

Probably a good idea, though it took enough work to get XP Mode working. Do you know of any games that would benefit from this? None comes immediately to mind for me.
Mostly increasingly obscure adventure games. On my WinXP vm I have Obsidian, The Space Bar, Dust Wired West, Titanic Out of Time, and Discworld Noir. I'm not sure which of these needs 3D acceleration, but I know one ore more does.

flyingjohn

Arcane
It looks like the ps3 emulator is progression nicely for anybody interested:
https://rpcs3.net/blog/2017/02/26/rpcs3-progress-report-february-2017/

yakuza.jpg

A user named cat

New Mednafen is out with more Saturn progress.

https://mednafen.github.io/

Notable changes since 0.9.42:
  • PSX: Reduced DualShock rumble latency by 1 frame.
  • SS: Added multitap emulation, enableable via settings "ss.input.sport1.multitap" and "ss.input.sport2.multitap".
  • SS: Added steering wheel emulation(for "Virtua Racing", and other racing games that lack 3D Pad analog support).
  • SS: Added Mission Stick and Dual Mission Stick emulation.
  • SS: Added 101-key US keyboard emulation.
  • SS: Fixed hang in "F1 Challenge".
  • SS: Fixed missing voice acting and related hangs in "Magic Knight Rayearth".
  • Reworked how input grabbing is handled. The new way uses only one key combo(CTRL+SHIFT enu), and will adapt its behavior based on any keyboards being selected on any virtual input ports or not(refer to the documentation for full details). A new setting is added, "command.toggle_grab", and two settings were removed, "command.toggle_grab_input" and "command.toggle_cidisable".
  • Emulated keyboard(FKB, Tsushin, Saturn) key state is now only updated when input grabbing is toggled on.

sullynathan

Arcane
sooo I downloaded one rom but it doesn't work. Citra gives me the message, "could not determine the system mode". Upon further research, I learn that I have to decrypt 3ds games but I don't know how.

except the Zelda titles
meh I wouldn't mind restarting Ocarina of time with new features.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
sooo I downloaded one rom but it doesn't work. Citra gives me the message, "could not determine the system mode". Upon further research, I learn that I have to decrypt 3ds games but I don't know how.

At the moment you have to do that via a hacked 3DS using a tool like Decrypt9, GodMode9, or Hourglass9 - you can also use these to dump your cartridges to file on the SD card.
If you have one that is still on 11.2, go here immediately and install CFW http://3ds.guide/

sullynathan

Arcane
So I bought demons souls on PS3, digitally. If this emulator ever works, would it be possible to just download the game through the emulator?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom