Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah. I got UUW from GOG and it was a disgrace. Luckily could just extract the actual game files from the install and get rid of the rest.

The least they could do is set aspect ratio to 4:3 so people don't play the game all squashed.

Zandig Slaytanic

Educated
I don't keep huge "ready-to-play" libraries of dos games, usually I play 2-3 dos games at a time. So modifying a .cfg is a simpler solution.
Plus I'm p. sure it isn't possible to change ALL dosbox.conf options via D-Fend, esp. when it comes to unofficial builds.
It's a neet tool for sure, just not a necessity, esp. for normalfags.

Yes, in D-Fend Reloaded, you can add any settings and it's values manually to match any mix of DOSBox builds in the program options and save it.

D-Fend Reloaded --> File --> Program Options --> (make sure Mode is set to Advanced in lower right corner) --> under "Profile editor" click "Default values"...then click the drop-down arrow from the "category" box at the top... choose a category and enter your value.

I use a few different DOSBox builds with no problem. It's an excellent program.

Dfend_Reloaded.jpg

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I just like the Goodies.
Like what though? The manuals? Walkthroughs? Maps? Soundtracks? Admittedly some of the music is difficult to track down in good quality but mostly all the maps, manuals and such can be found online.

http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?list.2

http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/PC/index.htm

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc :codexisfor:

I like everything. Getting it by myself feels like cheating, I trust GOG knows which goodies to handpick for me.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They really don't considering how they haven't even licensed the MT32 rom so that the best music can show on many many many games.

tet666

Augur

seems like its running well

That's one of Drwhojohns terrible hex edited builds, don't use them they introduce something similar to heavy frame skipping, audio is fine but the games run terrible slow and stuttery in them, it's totally useless if you ask me and the Bravely games don't even need it at all,they run fine with a normal build like this one he compiled as well:

http://www75.zippyshare.com/v/ufyN2vvA/file.html

or better yet GMKs builds from here (those include the User folder stuff you need as well):

http://pan.baidu.com/share/home?uk=33717959#category/type=0

It's mostly full speed and bugs are fixed as well Bravely Default and Second are fully playable with this.

Disable vsync and use the frame limiter only and set log_filter=*:Critical in the qt-config.ini for a slight speed boost.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
And developing rapidly. One year ago it was still barely working and now first games are now playable in 4k @ 60fps.

Though it is mostly because it is closed source. They are probably using official docs on WiiU to replicate stuff and once they will get a hold of everything they will be porting it to non C&D form of open source or they will try to monetize it.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
off the top of my head the wii/wii u RPGs i can think of are the Xenoblade ones.

what other good RPGs on that?

bonus question: how the fuck is wii emu further along than 3ds emulation! haha

tet666

Augur
Do I need the Wii U pad in order to play?

No it's not even supported since it can't be used on PC

off the top of my head the wii/wii u RPGs i can think of are the Xenoblade ones.

Apples and Oranges but i guess the Patreon money helps a bit to motivate the devs

1.7 is now out btw:

https://www.reddit.com/r/cemu/comments/5n56l9/cemu_170_release_schedule_and_troubleshooting/

Rendering Resolutions up to 4k are now supported!
more and better graphic packs: https://github.com/slashiee/cemu_graphic_packs
Also the shader cache is now transferable so goodbye shader compile stuttering, get your transferable cache files here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CEMUcaches/

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Is there any easy way to run old Mac games on modern systems?
Or more precisely : is there any easy way to run Jewel of Arabia : Dreamers on modern systems? Instead of searching the name of the game on the Codex again every two months I'd rather actually play the game.

Perkel

Arcane

Documentation.

There is little to no 3DS documentation. Especially on its sound chip, devs themselves openly stated multiple times there didn't have single clue how to deal with sound for months before they finally found way get sound out of it. They were even saying that emulator probably won't have sound in final release.

WiiU case is different. Their project is closed for a reason and imo reason is that they do have proper docs and are using Ninty stuff which can cause C&D or even proper lawsuit.

Second important stuff is type of developement and what kind of type of emulator you want. There is huge difference between getting emulator "right" which will play ALL games because it is from start made to be cycle accurate vs hacky jurry rigged one that relies on per game patches to work.

That kind of difference can be seen in Dolphin VS PCSX2 or ePSXe. Dolphin from start tried to go for accuracy and focus on long therm developement instead of focusing on quick wins and make sure throngs of people will play soon X or Y game.

This is why Dolphin now is in such amazing state while PCSX2 still stinks from a mile compared to it.

Citra devs choose to be accurate first and focus on long game getting new games working by virtue of fixing stuff in general instead of per game patches.

This is why Citra has so many unoficial builds. Because Citra devs don't want to hack their way into support of some pokemans where those unoficial builds patch Citra with jurry rigged patches and try to run X or Y game.

tet666

Augur
WiiU case is different. Their project is closed for a reason and imo reason is that they do have proper docs and are using Ninty stuff which can cause C&D or even proper lawsuit.

That's just a bs rumor no one has any proof for, people just made it up cause they where pissed Cemu went the closed source route which they imho mostly did to get some bucks from Patreon, the WII U isn't some magical device the Hardware in there is very well documented, official Ninty material was never really needed and wouldn't help that much.

And even if it where true good luck proving an emulator was made using illegaly obtained docs, even with its sourcecode available (similar register or functionality naming might give a hint but would likely not prove anything in a trial).

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Before you blame pcsx2 for being inaccurate, you should understand that the machine hardware architecture has no good equivalents on pc. It's a small miracle that pcsx2 even works so well as it does considering how complex the multiprocessor GPU design of the console is and how its floating point instructions aren't even IBM-PC compatible (the different FP rounding modes per game on the database, are essentially inaccurate speed hacks).

Therefore, if you expect to switch to a 'better more accurate' emulator, you better have some super science 2030 machine because it would have to be all in software.

It's very similar to the N64 situation (though i personally think it's better). And even if you had a perfect software renderer, probably no one would use it unless forced to because of increased image quality in hardware for multiple reasons (like in N64 emulators).

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Before you blame pcsx2 for being inaccurate, you should understand that the machine hardware architecture has no good equivalents on pc. It's a small miracle that pcsx2 even works so well as it does considering how complex the multiprocessor GPU design of the console is and how its floating point instructions aren't even IBM-PC compatible (the different FP rounding modes per game on the database, are essentially inaccurate speed hacks).

Therefore, if you expect to switch to a 'better more accurate' emulator, you better have some super science 2030 machine because it would have to be all in software.

It's very similar to the N64 situation (though i personally think it's better). And even if you had a perfect software renderer, probably no one would use it unless forced to because of increased image quality in hardware for multiple reasons (like in N64 emulators).
Given that we're entering a future right now, could Vulkan or OpenCL be leveraged to emulate the PS2 chips like the retroarch guys are doing for Parallel?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i think the PCSX2 approach > dolphin approach.

i never even knew PCSX2 was in a bad state! it plays everything i want it to play, even if sometimes the games I play on it require continuous fiddling or are blurry or they see-saw or the sound doesn't play exactly right.

guess what emu-devs? NOBODY GIVES A SHIT WE JUST WANT TO PLAY OUR PIRATED ROMS.

absolutely NOBODY cares about accurate emulation except for like, a vocal minority. oh god I want to bathe in sweet non-accurate, filter-enhanced emulation with bad sound and missing graphical layers!!!

tl;dr: real gamers just want a game that is "finishable", and we don't care about it being accurate.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The middle-term is the best for the majority of people: emulate games well enough without having to fiddle with inumerous plugin versions or patches but without sacrificing expediency and emulation speed for perfect accuracy that is only required in a cutscene of some obscure game that only autists care about.

Or in other words: ZSNES was fine for 99% of people before BSNES.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom