Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

spekkio

Arcane
oKmzrtA.jpg

What a time to be alive...

giphy.gif

:negative:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Etrian Mystery Dungeon. It's exactly how it sounds, Japanese roguelike with Etrian Odyssey classes. I've wanted to try it out, as a big fan of both.

EDIT: And I think they censor names because you can upload your stats online? I know there was a similar thing when you named your guild in Etrian Odyssey Untold.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

So how does it run in Citra?
on actual hardware it's incredibly janky with more than 1 character in the party.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon. It's exactly how it sounds, Japanese roguelike with Etrian Odyssey classes. I've wanted to try it out, as a big fan of both.
I think they did a very good job on adapting the classes.

You get a party of 4 characters, and you only control 1 character outside of boss fights and the other 3 are AI controlled.
And the AI for those characters are the dumbest pieces of shit I've ever seen in a game, and it turns the entire dungeon crawling aspect into a massive babysitting chore because of it.

spekkio

Arcane
You must equip the ring. :obviously:

1) Switch output to d3d:

Db6hwbl.png

2) Choose desired shader in Direct3d Pixelshader menu: :roll:

TRxfReG.png

3) Voila:

lyxnCxx.png

Vanilla (Output=Surface) looks like this:

qRC6aKP.png

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You must equip the ring. :obviously:

1) Switch output to d3d
2) Choose desired shader in Direct3d Pixelshader menu
3) Voila

It ain't working. :/

I don't know what is going on. Could you possibly guide me from a "fresh start", asuming I have no DOSBOX in my computer? Maybe I'm missing a previous requirement I haven't heard of.

Also, my Status Window doesn't say anything when I add the pixelshader.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Well, ist's something wrong on your end (hardware, OS, drivers). AFAIK DosBox doesn't need external programs to run (C++ rutimes, etc.). What version of Windows are you on?

Also, my Status Window doesn't say anything when I add the pixelshader.
Mine sure does:

YJu9cjf.png

PROTIP: Make sure that both dosbox.conf and "Shaders" subdirectory are both in the same dir as dosbox.exe:

xAMUyCT.png

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
IT WORKSSSS.

This is what I did different:

- Instead of dragging the Wizardry file into the DOSBOX .exe, I opened up the DOSBOX.exe.
- I selected the shader. And it worked.
- Now I dragged the Wizardry file into the open DOSBOX window.
- And it worked! I could also change shaders in the middle of the game too.

I have no idea why this works, but maybe, if I had opened the game like the pros do (using commands while in DOSBOX) it would have worked from the start. Because I don't know how to do that (Windows baby here) I always just dragged and dropped my games into the .exe inside its directory folder.

spekkio

Arcane
So, as wise sages would say:

GIT GUD, SCRUB. :obviously:

Dosbox mount commands in dosbox.conf are really simple (and fully explained in doxx):

HD mount:

Code:
mount C "c:\dos" -freesize 1024
This sets your real "c:\dos" directory as a virtual "C:" drive in dosbox.

CD mount (if you need real cd or cd image mounted via daemon tools or sth):

Code:
mount V "V:\" -t cdrom -ioctl_dx
This uses your OS's V: drive as a virtual "V:" drive in dosbox.

CD-image mount (using cd images directly):
Code:
imgmount v "c:\dos\X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM.cue" -t cdrom -fs iso
This uses the bin-cue image in c:/dos directory as a virtual "V:" drive in dosbox.

After that, it's just a case of using dos commands like "cd xwing" (change directory to c:\xwing subdir) and running exe / bat files.

Lower part of my dosbox.conf looks like this ATM, # is used to disable lines:

Code:
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
mount C "c:\dos" -freesize 1024
# mount V "V:\" -t cdrom -ioctl_dx
mixer mt32 150 150
imgmount v "c:\dos\X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM.cue" -t cdrom -fs iso
#imgmount v "c:\dos\TIE Fighter Collector's CD-ROM.cue" -t cdrom -fs iso
#imgmount v "c:\dos\Archimedean Dynasty.cue" -t cdrom -fs iso
C:
cd xwingcd
xwingcd

/noob guide

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
PROTIP: Make sure that both dosbox.conf and "Shaders" subdirectory are both in the same dir as dosbox.exe:
I use a shortcut that changes the "start in" directory, and the shaders folder has to be relative to that dir, not necessarily the exe.

A user named cat

No because D-Fend offers you all options in DOSBox with an easy to use interface and explanations of each setting. There's a shitload more than just "5 lines of text". From all the Soundblaster DMA tweaks to various other things. Plus it's a frontend and makes it much easier to gather your collection. Why retard against convenience?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I prefer being lean where possible over convenience. It never got to the point where I felt like I needed another software to manage stuff, specially after getting that korean fork of dosbox.

spekkio

Arcane
I don't keep huge "ready-to-play" libraries of dos games, usually I play 2-3 dos games at a time. So modifying a .cfg is a simpler solution.
Plus I'm p. sure it isn't possible to change ALL dosbox.conf options via D-Fend, esp. when it comes to unofficial builds.
It's a neet tool for sure, just not a necessity, esp. for normalfags.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
So anyone knows if there's a way in DOSBOX to accurately emulate the correct cycles for any given game?

It wouldn't be a problem with new games, since those have discernible sound effects. But in games like Wizardry, where a step is literally a BUZZ, you don't know if the game is going fast enough, or slow enough.

sullynathan

Arcane
So, why is the nintendo DS emulator so weird? I didn't actually expect it to have two screens. I also can't type my name when it asks me to.

A user named cat

I prefer being lean where possible over convenience. It never got to the point where I felt like I needed another software to manage stuff, specially after getting that korean fork of dosbox.
I understand about avoiding bloat, but D-Fend is really no different than using ScummVM. It doesn't have to be installed and it doesn't eat up much space. I suppose it has no use to non-collectors but I do work for Hyperspin and Emumovies, so I have to horde full rom sets for almost everything. Frontends are a must.

AFAIK, no. Your best choice would be checking the compatibility wiki - some people post recommended cycle rates for certain games:

http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=239
Main problem with cpu cycles and recommendations is there no one-solution for all rigs, that's also a big problem with GOG installations too as they usually fall back on just setting it to max cycles when that's a very poor solution which can screw up timings in a lot of games. There are games like Realms of the Haunting which needs a cycle rate of right around 150k for proper full speed without running too fast, but this is too demanding for slower PC's. So the whole thing can be a bit of a pain.

spekkio

Arcane
Personally, some time ago I switched from "cycles=max" to a set value, using good old Shiny's performance test from MDK as a measurement tool:

Tv3sZpb.png

9NBosJ2.png

I tweaked the cycles till I got something ~ Pentium 200 (~140000 cycles). This value works perfectly for X-Wing, which was wonky on cycles=max.

:greatjob:

A user named cat

Yeah it's always best to set a cycle rate manually per-game I've found. The Goldbox games for instance you can't go too high or else the combat animations are way too fast but if you go too low, then it takes years just to navigate around and load times are abysmal. No auto setting works properly for them. GOG's bandaid solution is retarded and shows that those potato cocks should not be reselling abandonware. Fuck Codex for all the shilling they do for them, nobody should be paying for DOS games especially from idiots who don't even set them up properly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom