Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates - steampunk RPG set in flooded New York

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Lacrymasgender: ⚧ Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Are they new in the industry? If yes, how did they make a whole game all hush-hush, with, I assume, no budget and literally announcing it 3 months before release?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    http://www.empyrethegame.com/news/empyre-story-trailer-released

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres...ates_Surges_Forth_with_a_New_StoryTrailer.php

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. MRYgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    The marvels never cease with this game.

(1) "original story penned by renowned writer/comic artist Paul Noth, a staff cartoonist for The New Yorker magazine, where his work has appeared regularly since 2004." A lot of his cartoons are really funny: https://twitter.com/paulnoth?lang=en I particularly like the duck-rabbit Wittgenstein ones.

(2) "By 1889, New York's population had exploded to over 5 million, making it the largest city the world had ever known." London's population in 1891 was 5.6 million. :D (Not sure what it was in 1889 since there wasn't a census for that year, but....)

(3) Shouldn't it be "borough-states" not "city-states"?

The whole thing feels like it came from an alternate reality itself. Honestly, I'm kind of excited.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. daveydgender: ⚧ Learned

daveyd
    Parrots:
    I'm intrigued by the setting, but 'tis too bad the combat sounds like shitty RTwP.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. LESS T_Tgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Some previews on small sites, sound not good. Yeah, it was apparent from the trailers this isn't a pretty or polished game but even more...:

http://cogconnected.com/preview/empyre-lords-sea-gates-preview/

http://www.gamingtarget.com/article.php?artid=17222

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    https://www.heypoorplayer.com/2017/09/17/empyre-lords-sea-gates/

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again ERYFKRADgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  8. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Spotted this on the site that interviewed Hannah Williams from Whalenought: https://www.indiegraze.com/2017/09/14/interview-empyre-lords-of-the-sea-gates-john-randall/

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Uh, this is out I think:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:

http://www.empyrethegame.com/news/we-are-officially-launched

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    ^ Top  
  11. Hereticgender: ⚧ Learned

Heretic
    Parrots:
    And just like that, the game is out.

Not sure why they didn't turn on antialiasing for the new trailer footage or why they didn't show more of the gameplay, character screen, inventory...

Anyway, if it's not too bad, I might try it out once it goes on sale.

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Sinatargender: ⚧ Learned

Sinatar
    Parrots:
    Looks cool but $30 is too much to jump in blind.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. Urthorgender: ⚧ Learned

Urthor
    Parrots:
    Alright team who's going to be first...

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. YES!gender: ⚧ Hi, I'm Roqua

YES!
    Parrots:
    So far so so. There is no chargen and should be. You choose between 4 pregenerated characters that all are very not very optimized. It would be way better without stupid twirly 3d cameras. When will people get their shit together and demand fixed camera and no wasted filler 3d spin shit for kids?

Chardev is decent. Combat is bad like all rtwp systems. This one reminds me of the UFO series (aftermath, afterlight, etc). Dialogue is a bit weird since the dialogue appears on the character icon on the upper left of the screen, the person talking to is on the right, and any dialogue responses are in the center bottom.

The controls are a bit off and must be recorded for an uncivilized keyboard as it decides the I selected is something else, but still works for what it is on civilized keyboards. For instance the game things f5 is f6 and f9 is f10, but f5 and f9 work when set but display the other value. ZXC are right, something like k for v, and b is right. Just as an example. There are also some display issues for rebound keys. But all these interface issues are minor.

As for the content so far, the char dev system has promise. I wish there were more equipment slots but the items and itemization isn't bad. The first area before the first mission did not have a shop I could find, but had a vending machine with one consumable I could buy. I could not sell to the vending machine.

My first companion was forced on me for the mission as his specialty is needed for it. I would far prefer to make my own party. So far the story has been the central theme, as well as the setting.

This isn't my type of game for the most part, but I do not plan on returning. I can't exactly explain why I like it but I do. I do not feel gipped at $30 and feel completely this game is way better than any console focused game ever made, but way worse than my favorite rpgs which have the correct focuses and mechanics I like.

You can tell a small team really pored a lot of love into this and only a huge dick would pirate it. Buy it now or wait for a sale. This isn't shit for retards and kids, but is aimed at what this site calls a "storyfag" or settingfag with decent and more in-depth systems to satisfy real rpg fans.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    I just played it.Sadly the combat is shit,also the resolution is shit and the font is shit.I have to poke my nose in the monitor to read some of the shit in the game.After hour of play i decided to quit because my eyes were bleeding.

^ Top  
  16. IHaveHugeNickgender: ⚧ Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Parrots:
    How is Sherlock Holmes neo-Victorian? How about...Victorian?

:hmmm:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)