Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates coming on October 4th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Coin Operated Games; Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates

I was expecting we'd learn more about the strange new totally-not-steampunk RPG Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates soon after it was announced last month. Instead the developers went completely silent and skipped right to today's release date announcement. Empyre will be rising from the depths on October 4th. The press release also reveals that the game's story will be written by one Paul Noth, a cartoonist for The New Yorker who apparently wants to branch out into video games. Read it here:

Auburn, New Hampshire – August 16, 2017 – Coin Operated Games announces today that its upcoming Neo-Victorian RPG Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates , will be coming to PC via Steam starting on October 4, 2017. Developed by a team of industry veterans from such influential companies as Crytek, Creative Assembly, Codemasters and Digital Reality, Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates is a top-down isometric RPG that takes place in an alternate industrial New York circa 1911.

… water is everywhere but none of it to drink…

Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates depicts a troubled New York in which the entire city is flooded by rising oceans and the citizens now face a new threat: the fresh water pipes have stopped and there is no water to drink!

Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates features an original story penned by renowned writer/comic artist Paul Noth, a staff cartoonist for The New Yorker magazine, where his work has appeared regularly since 2004. He created the Emmy-nominated animated series "Pale Force" for Late Night with Conan O’Brien and was animation consultant for Saturday Night Live. He's also developed shows for Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Nickelodeon, and his trilogy of middle-grade novels will be published by Bloomsbury, starting in April of 2018 with “How to Sell Your Family to the Aliens."

“After writing for different media throughout my career, I’m very excited to be working with Coin Operated Games to write their video game script,” said Paul Noth. “The world that has been created in Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates is amazing and truly unique, so I’m thrilled to be able to develop a story set in this new world.”

Although set in a fictional, alternate history, the game pays homage to historic accounts by adding authentic items such as patent medicines including poisons or tonics made from dangerous ingredients. Many of the games’ objectives and side quests will tie directly into the experiences that someone in the 19th century would have. The game’s authenticity reflects scenes from New York circa 1900, while tying the storyline to current day themes such as global warming and the rising of the oceans.

“We are very honored that Paul is working with us on the storyline for Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates,” said John Randall, Creative Director of Empyre. “He is a world class writer, and has been invaluable to us with helping to shape the direction of our games’ signature Neo-Victorian story and experience.”

Currently in development by Coin Operated Games, Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates will be available via Steam on October 4, 2017. More information will be shared in the coming weeks once the waters die down…
Okay then! Maybe now we'll learn more about it?

Non-gamer nobody writing for the New Yorker now writing for a game and it is the waterchip all over again.

But did he put in homages to The Shining?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't understand that article. It makes it sound like he is going to start writing for the game now but game is set to release in 1.5 months... :?

FUDU

Arcane
From the website.

Combat:

When you must fight, you can enjoy the benefits of our combat system which gives you fine control over your party members as well as fast moving action. We like to think of it as good for turn based players who like to strategize and tactically maneuver their party members. But also good for real time fans who like to see the combat unfold quickly.

Still not sure, but sounds like RTWP.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Isn't this RTWP.

Is this turn-based?
Asking only what matters.

From the website.

Combat:

When you must fight, you can enjoy the benefits of our combat system which gives you fine control over your party members as well as fast moving action. We like to think of it as good for turn based players who like to strategize and tactically maneuver their party members. But also good for real time fans who like to see the combat unfold quickly.

See previous newspost.

Non-gamer nobody

lol, the guy is more famous than 99.9% of video game writers since nobody outside this forum ever heard of video game writers except for maybe that Japanese solid snake guy.

And so? What good did any "non-video game writer" do for game writing? There are maybe only a handful of examples that turned out good. In the context of gaming, he is a fucking nobody, a stranger to games who seems to have come up with the fucking waterchip plot (though that might not have been his idea).

Last edited:
From the website.

Combat:

Can't trust the types that shy away from actually explainig mechanics. Too chichkenshit to just pick a system and stick their guns to it without indecisive word games.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bah, isn't this that game with 1920s aesthetic and anachronistic jazz muzak?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
The name kinda puts me off. The whole letter changing reminds me of when I was a kid and changed i to y, c to k and s to z because it sounded "cooler".

aratuk

Cipher
Oh, yeah… the Neo-Edwardian game! That was quick.

:avatard:

And, wait. Why are the makers of abstruse, alternate history RPGs calling themselves Coin Operated? Is this going to be anything like Tekken? These people do know how to push my buttons with their terrible mis-naming of things.

Last edited:

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Well, at least it's news about a game that is going to be finished real quick instead of the millions of kickstarter and pre-hype posts for games that are barely past the concept stage. "Tell me about it when you got a game". I'm kind of happy about that.

When they actually mention something about their game maybe some people will get interested in it.

Or was it planned for October two years from now and it's just a super rush job? For some reason, I really don't care.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
He's gonna have the biggest ignore list evar.

I bet this 1911 new york is full of diversity and equality.

We're having a conversation in "Site Feedback" about idiots like you trying to bring the Codex down with stupidity. You should join in, if you haven't.
I already posted there, told you to leave if you don't like what makes the codex what it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom