Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emerge: Cities of the Apocalypse

agris

Arcane
Patron
A new, shorter game trailer is ready. Depending on its reception, this will probably be the featuring video in the upcoming Steam Greenlight submission. If you think it's OK for that purpose, let me know!

Much better. I would re-take the barricade defense videos though and remove the fog of war, it looks odd for ~1/3 of the screen to be dark as the very first shot of gameplay, especially with the un-obscured section to the right rather than centered. I also would change the first shot of gameplay to be something other than the barricade defense gameplay, it doesn't look compelling as the first in-game shot. I think the world map would look good and you could put up text highlighting the different high-level gameplay aspects on it (tech trees, city sim, chardev, tower def, etc). Also, your bullet'd text overlaps the gameplay too much. Try showing longer snips of gameplay with less cuts/edits. And roll the bullet points out in such a way that the text doesn't obscure the gameplay snips and so that the text reinforces the system you're showing.

Overall, much improved.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
A new, shorter game trailer is ready. Depending on its reception, this will probably be the featuring video in the upcoming Steam Greenlight submission. If you think it's OK for that purpose, let me know!

Much better. I would re-take the barricade defense videos though and remove the fog of war, it looks odd for ~1/3 of the screen to be dark as the very first shot of gameplay, especially with the un-obscured section to the right rather than centered. I also would change the first shot of gameplay to be something other than the barricade defense gameplay, it doesn't look compelling as the first in-game shot. I think the world map would look good and you could put up text highlighting the different high-level gameplay aspects on it (tech trees, city sim, chardev, tower def, etc). Also, your bullet'd text overlaps the gameplay too much. Try showing longer snips of gameplay with less cuts/edits. And roll the bullet points out in such a way that the text doesn't obscure the gameplay snips and so that the text reinforces the system you're showing.

Overall, much improved.

Hey nice thoughts. About the fog of war, there is a skill that pushes it further back in combat, but footage was already taken so it's quite a pain in the ass to recapture combat scenes :( If the bullet points appeared on the right side of the screen, thus making use of the "dead" fog of war space, do you think it would be better?

I chose to show combat first because, entering your average steam surfer's mentality, shooting shit is less niche than turn-based strategy stuff. Just a thought. Did I just degrade my own game for the sake of marketing? Fuck you, marketing.

agris

Arcane
Patron
vdweller I got you, but from a flow point of view it didn't fit with me well. Regardless of order, try to center to the barricade defense shots, and apply a blur/transition filter to the edge of the real screencap so that it looks natural to fade to black on the left and right side. That plus my previous comments about pacing and text are about all I have.

I'm going to try your demo, it looks interesting to me. Could you answer MRY's question though? Are you the dev of Rebuild?

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
I'm not the dev of rebuild. I played rebuild a long time ago (I think there was a sequel too, not sure though).I don't remember much about it besides scouting and searching buildings like hospitals and stuff. Also from what I remember combat was automatically resolved or something.

So from what I can recall there are very generic similarities but I think Rebuild was a much, much simpler game. In Rebuild it was just "zombies". In Emerge you have to be prepared for what types of zombies the game throws at you. You get spitter zombies and your party isn't prepped for long-distance accurate shots, you're fucked. Zombies in soldier armor appear and you don't have armor piercing, you're fucked. Researching the right stuff at the right time and setting your party's targeting preferences according to their weapons can save you.

agris

Arcane
Patron
vdweller I tried the demo, I scouted about 9 sectors before the game hung on me opening the masoleum of a famed undead hunter and unleashing some screaming terror. It seemed like a combat event should load, but never did.

I like the large tech trees, building upgrades etc but the gameplay loop at the beginning is slow. That's fine as long as it picks up. Here's my profile files from the game that hung. http://www.filedropper.com/profile_9

also the launcher lets you select and play in fullscreen, but when you exit the game your desktop resolution doesn't revert (win7 64 current SP blah blah). also also, give us 16:10 people some love.

I like the art in the game, the little Fallout-ish UI elements and weapon names/stats all look good. I found a scientist with a plasma rifle, and I found the AI options but unfortunately didn't get any combat before the game hung.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
agris You are the first to report this crash, and a very logical one it is, now that I think about it. The demo build had many monster assets removed. because I didn't want people to dig at the files and see everything at this point. I thought that the demo missions only contained the assets I kept. But this event is apparently the exception.

When you open the mausoleum, a very out-of-depth zombie pops out. But its resource files are missing so combat can't load. :oops:

Man, what are the odds? Your very first battle was this. I'm off to solve a seppuku and then commit sudoku.

On the plus side, at this point this mutha would pretty much wreck your barricade. A way around it for this demo build is apparently to keep the mausoleum shut and gain some credits and crystals from some followers of this hunter (and forfeiting the legendary pistol found inside).

I really, really like slow buildups in games. Showing lots of shit up front means having nothing new to show in a very short span of time.

In my D&D campaigns, sometimes the first dungeon didn't even have a rat for the players to fight. And I remember, in Fallout 2 (Myron, baby!), the amount of time it took to actually get my hands around a proper firearm was a game design mindblow. So you can see where I'm coming from.

The demo has obviously less stuff than the full game, but based on your info it's safe to say that you have seen very little so far.

I've got the same OS but my desktop reverts. Fucking Game Maker 8.

Also, MRY , Primordia was fucking awesome.

Last edited:

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
HUGE UPDATE!

The game has been submitted to Steam Greenlight! Please show your support and vote for it! Clicking the logo below will take you to the game's Greenlight page!

agris

Arcane
Patron
I really, really like slow buildups in games. Showing lots of shit up front means having nothing new to show in a very short span of time.

In my D&D campaigns, sometimes the first dungeon didn't even have a rat for the players to fight. And I remember, in Fallout 2 (Myron, baby!), the amount of time it took to actually get my hands around a proper firearm was a game design mindblow. So you can see where I'm coming from.

The demo has obviously less stuff than the full game, but based on your info it's safe to say that you have seen very little so far.

I've got the same OS but my desktop reverts. Fucking Game Maker 8.

The slowness isn't a problem, I tend to like slow buildups too. Just passing on the impression. Slow burns make actual item/ability/character advances feel more significant, which is what I prefer rather than the skinner-box trickle of incremental improvements.

Regarding not restoring the desktop resolution when running in fullscreen: I think it's because the .exe crashes whenever I exit the game.

Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   emerge.exe
  Application Version:   0.9.3.0
  Application Timestamp:   2a425e19
  Fault Module Name:   StackHash_4009
  Fault Module Version:   0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:   00000000
  Exception Code:   c000041d
  Exception Offset:   753c4f5d
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:   1033
  Additional Information 1:   4009
  Additional Information 2:   4009adf199e3451573dfcbd550d6b03f
  Additional Information 3:   9793
  Additional Information 4:   97934234791827e8dff515749d0be49e

It does this literally every time I exit from 16:9 windowed or fullscreen. This is on the b3 as well. Windows says it applied some compatibility settings after the first crash on exit, but I don't see anything when I check the .exe's properties.

Are there some dependencies (dlls, .NET, whatever) that you've left out of the demo? My .NET and Java x64 are up to date, so I'm not sure what that would be.

agris

Arcane
Patron
vdweller I played some more with the new b3 release, but got hit with some pre-combat bugs and the game freezing after my barricade was obviously about to fall (was at 1/50).

tjanqCa.jpg
two combats, two of errors in a row. Text of second.

Code:
for object obj_injector_enterbattle:

Error in code at line 1:
  if hascombatitem("goggles")=1 then part_type_alpha3(part_fatman_fumes,0.125,0.125,0) else part_type_alpha3(part_fatman_fumes,0.25,0.25,0);
  ^
at position 108: Unknown variable part_fatman_fumes

for object obj_injector_enterbattle:

Error in code at line 1:
  if hascombatitem("goggles")=1 then part_type_alpha3(part_fatman_fumes,0.125,0.125,0) else part_type_alpha3(part_fatman_fumes,0.25,0.25,0);
  ^
at position 108: Unknown variable part_fatman_fumes
That same combat that produced the second error code froze the game when my barricade was almost destroyed.

zc3cK1c.jpg

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Again,it's about assets that I should have included in the demo. Stupid of me. I'll upload a fix.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Again,it's about assets that I should have included in the demo. Stupid of me. I'll upload a fix.
I applied the hotfix from the greenlight page, and the error popups before combat disappeared. But, after 2 combats my game still hung. This is the windows provided error:
Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   AppHangB1
  Application Version:   0.9.3.0
  Hang Signature:   73b5
  Hang Type:   0
  Additional Hang Signature 1:   73b563eb6259cbe5bac3bf4c2b67df02
  Additional Hang Signature 2:   644d
  Additional Hang Signature 3:   644df04cb75414547383459e2b0557ee
  Additional Hang Signature 4:   73b5
  Additional Hang Signature 5:   73b563eb6259cbe5bac3bf4c2b67df02
  Additional Hang Signature 6:   644d
  Additional Hang Signature 7:   644df04cb75414547383459e2b0557ee

edit: yea, after every combat I have to save and exit the game or else on the 2nd combat, the game hangs. No error message other than what I posted above.

Last edited:

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Hey dude,

I uploaded a beta 4 (steam) where all assets are there, they are simply not accessed by the demo (missions and areas are still truncated). Also, I (believe I) fixed the screen resolution issue upon quitting. If you could give it a shot (you can copy your profile found in the data/profiles folder to the new installation), and check if crashes disappear, that would be great.

On a side note, people at Steam don't even bother to download the demo. They just vote and vote and vote. Jeez.

agris

Arcane
Patron
vdweller It doesn't hang every 2nd combat, but it still hangs sometimes. This time it was the 5th combat. 16:9 fullscreen

Code:
Description:
  A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
  Application Version:   0.9.4.0
  Hang Signature:   e21d
  Additional Hang Signature 1:   e21d3cc19aa915fd60940a0966f1f632
  Additional Hang Signature 2:   a174
  Additional Hang Signature 3:   a174c279f4917c5de889d4f8aaffacaa
  Additional Hang Signature 4:   e21d
  Additional Hang Signature 5:   e21d3cc19aa915fd60940a0966f1f632
  Additional Hang Signature 6:   a174
  Additional Hang Signature 7:   a174c279f4917c5de889d4f8aaffacaa

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
vdweller It doesn't hang every 2nd combat, but it still hangs sometimes. This time it was the 5th combat. 16:9 fullscreen

Code:
Description:
  A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
  Application Version:   0.9.4.0
  Hang Signature:   e21d
  Additional Hang Signature 1:   e21d3cc19aa915fd60940a0966f1f632
  Additional Hang Signature 2:   a174
  Additional Hang Signature 3:   a174c279f4917c5de889d4f8aaffacaa
  Additional Hang Signature 4:   e21d
  Additional Hang Signature 5:   e21d3cc19aa915fd60940a0966f1f632
  Additional Hang Signature 6:   a174
  Additional Hang Signature 7:   a174c279f4917c5de889d4f8aaffacaa

Dunno man, never been reported before. I doubt the resolution has something to do with it. I'll look into it, but if you find some sort of probable cause, like it always freezes when using item X or firing weapon Y, let me know.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Good news. Bug located.

carrier_zpsv45jz1ht.gif

And fixed. Apparently an obsolete function was used to unload sounds from the sound pool when combat ended. Now game randomly freezing when combat ends should stop.

Uploading the beta 5 soon!

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This looked so appealing until I realised it was a (semi-)tower defense game. Is there any particular reason you chose to do the combat parts in this way?
I would have loved to play your game if it was anything but this (or a Candy Crush-like) that constituted the combat part of your game.
If the reason is that a more complex combat system would be too much to chew for you with all the other things going on in the game, did you ever consider going for something even more or equally simple (but less "tacked-on" feeling), like the way King of Dragon Pass' (and the non-tactical part of Banner Saga's) combat is done?

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
This looked so appealing until I realised it was a (semi-)tower defense game. Is there any particular reason you chose to do the combat parts in this way?
I would have loved to play your game if it was anything but this (or a Candy Crush-like) that constituted the combat part of your game.
If the reason is that a more complex combat system would be too much to chew for you with all the other things going on in the game, did you ever consider going for something even more or equally simple (but less "tacked-on" feeling), like the way King of Dragon Pass' (and the non-tactical part of Banner Saga's) combat is done?

I see where you come from. This is not exactly a "tower" defense in that you don't "build" stuff during combat. You have a team and in the Strategy part of the game you find or recruit survivors and they fight alongside you. But combat is clearly defending your barricade from attackers. What can I say, this is the direction combat took, and being a one-person team surely had a role to play. The only way to determine if it's actually enjoyable is to try it and see for yourself.

So far reception has been positive. The game is reaching the 500 Yes votes milestone on its 3rd day in Greenlight, with zero background/connections/prior fame and/or cult followings :cool: Every vote counts!

So that everyone sees this, agris has done an amazing job in testing the game and pinning down bugs and errors. His name will go in the "Special Thanks" list that the game will soon have in the Credits panel. Well done! :D

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
A small update and insight on Steam and the Greenlighting process:

1) The game has gathered a bit over 500 Yes votes and it's been there for 7 days as of now.The first 2 days is where most of the votes come from. Then vote acquisition rate drops dramatically, unless a gaming website makes a review, where you will see a spike in voting.

Nobody can tell when/if the game will be Greenlit. It can sit there for a week or a month. It can have 1,000 or 100,000 votes. Games have been Greenlit with as few as 400 Yes votes! Also, the Yes/No vote ratio is largely inconsequential, as many games have been Greenlit with 30%-70% Yes-No votes. Remember that for every game genre your game is, people who like 10 other genres can and will vote No for your game.

Ultimately the entire voting process is some sort of daily journal of potential customer interest for Valve and they have the final word for greenlighting a game.

Also, almost all of the comments are positive, save for the purely trollish/12-year old ones like "LOL XD". It's generally more frequent for someone to leave a positive comment rather than a negative one. No voters just vote no and leave. But if your game has a ton of negative comments, this should cause some pondering on your part.

2) The game will be featuring dynamic music during combat. Each music track will be separated in 3 layers of intensity, and as more zombies appear and the situation becomes more dangerous, the music will also be more tense. Neat, huh? The music will be compose by Janet Banerjee.

agris

Arcane
Patron
The game got a shout-out from RPS

CiviliZation? Emerge: Cities Of The Apocalypse Demo

By Melody on February 27th, 2016 at 5:00 pm.

27emergecota.jpg

Emerge: Cities of the Apocalypse [official site] suffers from a condition that is becoming more and more common. Experts call it Ludorum Malitituli, which is Latin for “Bad Game Titles.” It’s been spreading so quickly, lately, we don’t know how to stop it. There is no cure.

However, if you’re one to look beyond appearances, you may find love, or at least a good time, where you least expect it. It’s a strategy game that combines turn-based planning à la Civ with real-time tower-defense combat, and it’s doing its best to survive on Steam Greenlight. I tried the demo – but it’s not safe to talk about that here. Follow me to the safehouse, on the other side of this barricade.

Here we’re safe. We don’t have to worry about them.

Emerge: CotA is a post-apocalyptic game about surviving the zombie apocalypse together with the few survivors you find along the way. After creating your character – gender, picture, class and starting weapon – the game begins, and it feels almost exactly like a Civ game. You have control over a single district of a city that needs to be scouted out. Immediately a lot of gears start turning: there is a research tree with 3 major branches (science, technology and commerce); there are two currencies as well as various resources that cannot be stacked from one turn to another, like technique and science; each area you control provides some of these resource, as well as space to build improvements and defenses. In short there is quite a bit going on. Most of these systems should at least be familiar from other strategy games, but the tutorial does a good job of going over each of them in turn.

That’s the macro level. On the micro level you have to manage your character as well as your allies. You can buy weapons and assign them to each person according to their ability to wield them, which can be improved with experience points. Also, while you’ll be directly controlling your character, you can set some guidelines for how the AI of each individual ally should behave. These two parts of the game come together during the fights against the Undead.

27emergecota2.jpg

Each turn you have a number of Action Points which can be spent on various action, most importantly scouting a new area, or trying to gain control of it. At the end of your turn, the zombie horde will also move. Whenever survivors and zombies clash on the same zone – whether they attacked you or you came to them – a real-time fight begins, which will see your party on the right against the zombie horde on the left, separated by a barricade. At that point it’s a matter of clicking on their bodies or on their heads and killing them before they destroy your barricade and overrun you, all the while managing your resources and dealing with the zombies’ different abilities.

This seems to be the main gameplay loop. If you want a small recap of all that, this trailer will be your friend.

I actually quite like the aesthetic in the pictures, especially when it comes to humans – the cool and scrappy cyberpunk of a dark future.

Impressively, Emerge is made by one chap, solo dev Emilios Manolidis.

I know what you’re thinking: that you’ve seen some free flash games that do the same thing. And you’re not entirely wrong, but I haven’t seen one myself that does it this well, or that has this much going on. It doesn’t look particularly innovative, but the time I spent with the demo has left me feeling like it’s a solid game, one that does old things quite well. Of course, you can always try the demo for yourself.

Just don’t come back if you get bitten.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Yeah. Probably had to do with the fact that I sent over 130 emails to various editors and game journalists. :M

Let me ask you something else: How is the use of english in the game? English is not my mother tongue. For you native fellas, does the language usage feel OK or are there problematic points? Are there any fluidity hiccups or unnaturally expressed sentences?

agris

Arcane
Patron
It reads fine, it certainly doesn't read like you're a non-native writer.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
PRESS REVIEW ROUNDUP #1

(English language Websites/Youtube channels)

Rock, Paper, Shotgun
"I know what you’re thinking: that you’ve seen some free flash games that do the same thing. And you’re not entirely wrong, but I haven’t seen one myself that does it this well, or that has this much going on."

Games Ring
"It’s quite clear that Emilios Manolidis has put a lot of effort into this project [...] After all, solo development projects are by no means an easy task, but it’s clear that this guy has worked his butt off to provide a finished product worthy of being played."

OfficalStuffPlus (Youtube)
"It's greater than the sum of its parts"

(Non-English language Websites - don't expect quotes here :) )

GREECE:
GameWorld
Toprazer

SLOVAKIA:
Sector

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
The game was Greenlit just Yesterday. Once again, thanks to all who supported it during the Greenlight campaign.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Emerge: Cities of the Apocalypse will be released in Steam on April 27 2016. Trading Cards, Cloud Saves, Stats & Achievements are supported.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom