Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Ember - a party-based RTwP RPG inspired by Ultima VII and Baldur's Gate

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Arkastgender: ⚧ Novice

Arkast
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  2. LESS T_Tgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
  3. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

HiddenX You own it. Tell us how it is.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. HiddenXgender: ⚧ The Elder Spy Patron

HiddenX
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I play Enderal right now...

• :M :M x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. vmargender: ⚧ Learned

vmar
    Parrots:
    Day 1 sale? Almost seems desperate, but if it was at least turn based I might waste money on it since refunding is an option.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    I seen lots of games do it like this.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Uh nearly all games have launch week discounts

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. vmargender: ⚧ Learned

vmar
    Parrots:
    Eh I guess I don't pay enough attention.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again Mastermindgender: ⚧ Arcane Bethestard

Mastermind
    Parrots:
    Just opened it up briefly, but the game is a poor mans Divinity, Original Sin. If you liked that game, you will probably like this game, but the controls for this game seem a little bit clunky and not as fluid as I expected.

For example, most RPG's if you want to move with the mouse, you can click and hold the button with the pointer oriented in the direction you want to travel. In this game, you have to keep clicking on spots to get your character to move, and there is no hold option that I could tell.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Make America Great Again Mastermindgender: ⚧ Arcane Bethestard

Mastermind
    Parrots:
    So far I'm having fun. This game reminds me of Torchlight.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Drowedgender: ⚧ Arcane

Drowed
    Parrots:
    Torchlight? But it plays more like "Diablo", then? It looked like it played like a mix of MMO and, I dunno, Pillars I guess.

^ Top  
  12. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    diablo like games have that yes, not classic rpgs that this game is trying to be.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. HiddenXgender: ⚧ The Elder Spy Patron

HiddenX
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It is similar to the first Divine Divinity Action RPG.

^ Top  
  14. Severian Silkgender: ⚧ Guest

Severian Silk
    I wasn't even had that far.

^ Top  
  15. MotherMachinaegender: ⚧ Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Parrots:
    Divine Divinity/Original Sin?
    More like Beyond Divinity but better.

^ Top  
  16. Aothangender: ⚧ Magister

Aothan
    Parrots:
    sounds potentially interesting, will eventually search for more details on the character design system

^ Top  
  17. Roquagender: ⚧ Arcane In My Safe Space

Roqua
    Parrots:
    I tried it for 30 minutes or so. Please keep in mind I only played 30 minutes and none of this is gospel.

Like Antharion items are only highlighted and selectable if you are within a small radius. You have a butting (Q) that will highlight all, but it pauses the game when used and that is weird and more annoying than it sounds but not a huge deal.

This is a mix between arpg and rtwp sort of. It seems like an arpg with arpg sensibilities, but with group, rtwp combat. Pause is not needed really.

Very rpg-lite leveling up. You can distribute points to 4 stats. All special abilities come from items. I hate this rpg-lite shit.

Combat - abilities from items are very powerful but use mana. Mana and hp do not regen. You can eat to gain hp (and I am assuming some crafted food will restore mana too) but in combat only pots work. Combat sucks like all rtwp combat, but is on par with or slightly better than older rtwp games but not quite up to par for some newer rtwp offerings like poe.

GUI - no remappable hotkeys. You are stick using the ones the dev decided they should be, which I fucking hate with a passion. You can use 1, 2, and 3 for pots but no hotkeys for the abilities items add. There is no real inventory and a savage caveman lists is used for the inventory. Other than these issues it isn't a bad GUI. But it has every issue that bothers me.

Lots of voice acting, lots of combat, very arpgish looting in the first dungeon.

The game is supposed to have good choice and consequence. I saw one choice at the end of the dungeon, it wasn't big but it is okay.

All combat was with just a two person party. The screens on steam show a lot bigger parties.

You can tell someone really poured their heart into this game and it shows. It is decent, thought out, and very polished for an indie, with higher than normal production value compared to most indies I play.

Do I recommend it? Not if you do not want to support indie rpgs and love only good crpgs like I do. If you are an arpg fan, or a fan of other subgenres with shitty combat like rtwp games (IE games, Kotors, nwns, etc) and you do not like those games just because they were super hot hipster console awesome games, but you just liked the combat, this game you may find to be good. It is kind of like a more indie Van Helsing with a worse GUI. I recommend buying it as it is like $8 on sale and is worth at least that much even if you don't think it is the greatest. I do not regret spending this much on it, and I plan on sitting on it for a bit hoping people complain and the controls and GUI are patched so I can remap the keys and look at a real inventory instead of a list.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Aothangender: ⚧ Magister

Aothan
    Parrots:
    are the abilities from items class or attribute dependent in any way ? That would help with some of the limitations of externalising characterisation, thanks for the initial overview

^ Top  
  19. Roquagender: ⚧ Arcane In My Safe Space

Roqua
    Parrots:
    I am not 100% certain but it seems equipment is dependent on stats, and stats are player allocated. So to weild better swords and armor you pump strength but lose out on the bows which need high dex, or staffs that need high intelligence, etc. Sort of like Balrum but instead of training skills and getting life points to train skills with, you get equipment that I assume opens new and better abilities tied to specific items. I think I got a sword that opened up a double attack, and armor which opened a charge/jump/closer ability.

These types of equipment based ability systems are not appealing to me and I do not know what makes one good or bad or what to look for so sorry if this isn't much help.

There is an item tier system like in most arpgs since Diablo 2, I just saw white and yellow but I assume there is higher.

I didn't mention it but the game touts crafting as a kind of core system, but all I could do was cook some food. But again, I only played 30 minutes.

^ Top  
  20. I'm With Her Mustawdgender: ⚧ for prison Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Sword Coast Legends then?

^ Top  
  21. Roquagender: ⚧ Arcane In My Safe Space

Roqua
    Parrots:
    Well, I am not able to view that game without bias due to the way they promoted the game and what the game was. SCL could be a great game but the fact they just were adamant it was 5e when it was a completely made up system not related to anything D&D at all, like Neverwinter Online being 4e, makes my butt hurt too much to be objective or open to this what I will always consider a travesty. I would have been just as butt hurt if those Baldur Gate console games claimed to be any version but a made up one of D&D.

^ Top  
  22. Saxon1974gender: ⚧ Cipher

Saxon1974
    Parrots:
    Hmm, have a large backlog so on the fence on this. So Baldurs gate fans would like this? I don't much like RTWP but can live with it if the world is interesting. Is the world full of interesting things to explore?

^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again ERYFKRADgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Roqua is the game optimized and easy on the loading?

Downloading right now, so I suppose I'll find out anyway.

^ Top  
  24. Roquagender: ⚧ Arcane In My Safe Space

Roqua
    Parrots:
    I had no issues. It loaded very fast for me. I don't think you'll have issues on that end, but controls have some issues.

^ Top  
  25. Make America Great Again ERYFKRADgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    If they're not as unusual as Exanima's I'll be fine I think.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)