Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ember - a party-based RTwP RPG inspired by Ultima VII and Baldur's Gate

vmar

Savant
Day 1 sale? Almost seems desperate, but if it was at least turn based I might waste money on it since refunding is an option.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just opened it up briefly, but the game is a poor mans Divinity, Original Sin. If you liked that game, you will probably like this game, but the controls for this game seem a little bit clunky and not as fluid as I expected.

For example, most RPG's if you want to move with the mouse, you can click and hold the button with the pointer oriented in the direction you want to travel. In this game, you have to keep clicking on spots to get your character to move, and there is no hold option that I could tell.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Just opened it up briefly, but the game is a poor mans Divinity, Original Sin. If you liked that game, you will probably like this game, but the controls for this game seem a little bit clunky and not as fluid as I expected.

For example, most RPG's if you want to move with the mouse, you can click and hold the button with the pointer oriented in the direction you want to travel. In this game, you have to keep clicking on spots to get your character to move, and there is no hold option that I could tell.
diablo like games have that yes, not classic rpgs that this game is trying to be.

Aothan

Magister
sounds potentially interesting, will eventually search for more details on the character design system

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I tried it for 30 minutes or so. Please keep in mind I only played 30 minutes and none of this is gospel.

Like Antharion items are only highlighted and selectable if you are within a small radius. You have a butting (Q) that will highlight all, but it pauses the game when used and that is weird and more annoying than it sounds but not a huge deal.

This is a mix between arpg and rtwp sort of. It seems like an arpg with arpg sensibilities, but with group, rtwp combat. Pause is not needed really.

Very rpg-lite leveling up. You can distribute points to 4 stats. All special abilities come from items. I hate this rpg-lite shit.

Combat - abilities from items are very powerful but use mana. Mana and hp do not regen. You can eat to gain hp (and I am assuming some crafted food will restore mana too) but in combat only pots work. Combat sucks like all rtwp combat, but is on par with or slightly better than older rtwp games but not quite up to par for some newer rtwp offerings like poe.

GUI - no remappable hotkeys. You are stick using the ones the dev decided they should be, which I fucking hate with a passion. You can use 1, 2, and 3 for pots but no hotkeys for the abilities items add. There is no real inventory and a savage caveman lists is used for the inventory. Other than these issues it isn't a bad GUI. But it has every issue that bothers me.

Lots of voice acting, lots of combat, very arpgish looting in the first dungeon.

The game is supposed to have good choice and consequence. I saw one choice at the end of the dungeon, it wasn't big but it is okay.

All combat was with just a two person party. The screens on steam show a lot bigger parties.

You can tell someone really poured their heart into this game and it shows. It is decent, thought out, and very polished for an indie, with higher than normal production value compared to most indies I play.

Do I recommend it? Not if you do not want to support indie rpgs and love only good crpgs like I do. If you are an arpg fan, or a fan of other subgenres with shitty combat like rtwp games (IE games, Kotors, nwns, etc) and you do not like those games just because they were super hot hipster console awesome games, but you just liked the combat, this game you may find to be good. It is kind of like a more indie Van Helsing with a worse GUI. I recommend buying it as it is like $8 on sale and is worth at least that much even if you don't think it is the greatest. I do not regret spending this much on it, and I plan on sitting on it for a bit hoping people complain and the controls and GUI are patched so I can remap the keys and look at a real inventory instead of a list.

Aothan

Magister
are the abilities from items class or attribute dependent in any way ? That would help with some of the limitations of externalising characterisation, thanks for the initial overview

Roqua

Prospernaut
are the abilities from items class or attribute dependent in any way ? That would help with some of the limitations of externalising characterisation, thanks for the initial overview

I am not 100% certain but it seems equipment is dependent on stats, and stats are player allocated. So to weild better swords and armor you pump strength but lose out on the bows which need high dex, or staffs that need high intelligence, etc. Sort of like Balrum but instead of training skills and getting life points to train skills with, you get equipment that I assume opens new and better abilities tied to specific items. I think I got a sword that opened up a double attack, and armor which opened a charge/jump/closer ability.

These types of equipment based ability systems are not appealing to me and I do not know what makes one good or bad or what to look for so sorry if this isn't much help.

There is an item tier system like in most arpgs since Diablo 2, I just saw white and yellow but I assume there is higher.

I didn't mention it but the game touts crafting as a kind of core system, but all I could do was cook some food. But again, I only played 30 minutes.

Roqua

Prospernaut
It seems like an arpg with arpg sensibilities, but with group, rtwp combat. Pause is not needed really.

Sword Coast Legends then?

Well, I am not able to view that game without bias due to the way they promoted the game and what the game was. SCL could be a great game but the fact they just were adamant it was 5e when it was a completely made up system not related to anything D&D at all, like Neverwinter Online being 4e, makes my butt hurt too much to be objective or open to this what I will always consider a travesty. I would have been just as butt hurt if those Baldur Gate console games claimed to be any version but a made up one of D&D.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Hmm, have a large backlog so on the fence on this. So Baldurs gate fans would like this? I don't much like RTWP but can live with it if the world is interesting. Is the world full of interesting things to explore?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Roqua is the game optimized and easy on the loading?

Downloading right now, so I suppose I'll find out anyway.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Roqua is the game optimized and easy on the loading?

Downloading right now, so I suppose I'll find out anyway.

I had no issues. It loaded very fast for me. I don't think you'll have issues on that end, but controls have some issues.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom