Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elminage ORIGINAL - Priestess of Darkness and The Ring of the Gods

Sinatar

Arbiter

I know there are some Elminage fans around here, so this should be good news for them. For those not familiar with Elminage, it's a very very blatant Wizardry 1 - 5 clone, albeit a very well made one.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Better than Gothic?!

I know some think so, but for me personally I preferred Gothic by some margin. If this is just a 1:1 port, then it'll suffer from the same flaw as the original; it's too damn easy. Only the postgame really provides any challenge whatsoever.

I enjoyed it when I emulated it on PSP and will D1P certainly to support it, but imo Gothic was better.

Btw- my tip for anyone playing who doesn't want to rely on a guide- make sure you 'search' EVERY square as you map out the levels.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'm gonna choose to be as blunt as I possibly can in the following remark concerning Orig. VS Gothic:

(And yes I know Courtier has a deep appreciation for Orig., but I being morecycnical simply chalk it up to him playing it before Gothic)...

WITHOUT FURTHER ADO! LADIES AND LADIES!

ANYONE WHO FAILS TO APPRECIATE, WHO FAILS TO GRASP THE MAGNITUDE OF OVER-ARCHING DEVELOPMENT FOR THE SAKE OF CONTINUALLY PUSHING NOT THE GAME, BUT THEMSELVES MAKING SAID GAME FURTHER AND AS FAR AS THEY CAN GO IN THE ENDLESS OCEAN WHEREIN THEY PADDLE VALIANTLY, STRUGGLING WITHOUT A CARE FOR THEIR MORTAL SOUL BECAUSE THEIR MISSION IS GRACEFUL:

STARFISH DEVS, (i.e. specifically the ones who made Gothic, natch), HAVE SUCCEEDED IN DOING WHAT ALMOST NO ONE "WANTED", DOING IT INA NICHE THAT FLATTERS ITSELF BY CRASHING ON THE COUCH OF ITS NICHE COUSIN-IN-LAW, A BIGGER NICHE, AND THEY DID THE FOLLOWING:

Starfish devs, with Elminage: Gothic, have reached the summit of the mountain upon which both the Holy Buddha's 13th reincarnation along with Siddartha, Caytlin Jenner, and Norm McDonald, i.e. this worlds I-LLU-MI-NA-TIE (!); and they have finished their monomentous task, almost inarguably more important than anything else going on in the world, before or after; their task was to take the nigh-unassaible brilliance of traditional Wizardry's many, myriad and chimeric systems, mechanics, idelogical design, and much more...

...And Starfish reached the Mountain Peak and presented upon the Holy Illuminated ones a copy of Elminage Gothic and, LEGEND says the following happened:

730 angels received Wings and 240 Halos, (although some grumbled wanting wings and not halos and some sulked over having a halo but no wings); world-wide poverty was immediately eradicated for the duration of which a player playing through ELMINAGE: GOTHIC will take to conquer all 20 floors of IBAG'S TOWER and defeat the (ok, super generic, oops forgot I was being--); the all-evil and all-encompassing... INCARNATION! And her CHAINED GIANT!

Their only caveat, because of course such a deed as developing the indisputably best RPG ever made, let alone the indisputably best Wizardry game ever made and also indisputably the best dungeon-crawler ever made; this is a deed that surpasses the herculean efforts by Herakles (that's Hercules greek name, it's perfect usage consists of using it as part of acting in complete twattery when doing so: a powerful spear of heart indeed!); a task that lame, suck-ass fuck-boy Herakle's efforts to stymie the Hydra's endless amount of neck and heads as he stupidly tried saving Babylon...

SIDENOTE (!!!): ...Did you knoowww that the Hydra Hercules fights is hypothesized by historians and whatnot to be an allegorical remark on that time's/that moment's endless water floods and flooding which, indeed eventually did completely wipe out said Babylon!

They postulate that the re-growing Hydra heads are fantastical allusions to the many-branching streams of water which those epic floods would produce when even all the best efforts made by the people to survive, the water _always_ split into many and consumed all.

/Snapple fact!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!1111 kekkekeke
Long live Wizardry!

...that task? It is like a large amount of half-dried, but still moist bum shit smeared luxuriously all over you, the reader's shoes (!), when compared to the HOLY SACRIFICE, OF WHICH THEY WERE TASKED AS WRIT FROM THE VERY LIPS OF YAHWEH'S MESSANGER, NONE OTHER THAN "Metatron" himself! It is a task approximately 15 times more important than God, give or take (!), and while the Starfish devs obviously sniggered that God's messanger is named after a TRANSFORMER (ooooo myyyy gaaaawd!) they accepted it...

...and the accomplished said HOLY DESTINY.

They delivered unto us the INARGUABLY! The... INDISPUTABLY!!!! The... FUCKING BEST EVER RPG/Dungeon Crawler/Wizardry-continuation (!!!) that was never imagined in the wildest dreams of anyone, ever, not even by people.

Eons have passed since, and if you look northwards one might spy the blue glint of the old home of ours... some call it "URTH", and old pappy TOM HANKS sure does go on about it, but in truth...

...it is not truly Urth: it is the genesis of E: Gothic.

SO SAY WE ALL!!!!

Shackleton flyingjohn 80s Stallone newtmonkey

...Obviously, E: Gothic has plenty of flaws, such as:

most glaringly, IMO, the fact that the Alchemy class is literally the Bishop's 30+ year long problem where the class itself is not as good as the other higher ones BUT the true power-player / and or anyone wishing simple fucking convenience will always have to fucking drag a fucking stupid fucking dumb ass motherfucking asshole Alchemist.

It's only 1 example of a flaw I perceive in E: Gothic, 1 among quite a few others, as I think the simple act of seperating the Alchemy class's weapon enchanting and making that part of the shop's menu list of services, or heck introduce a blacksmith, or GOD FORBID DO SOMETHING NEW and have weapon buffing be tied to the LOOT (!); obv. not to the quadraplegic almost cerebrally-palsied degree of infinite stupidity-tedium shoved into the early Gen XTH games, and TO A LESSER EXTENT in the CoH games, as they managed to fuck up the entire Wiz-style LOOT and ITEM TIER systems by removing completely the immediate and tangible reward of receiving a piece of unidentified loot from fighting a specifically positioned FIXED ENCOUNTER enemy who is inherently tied to the DUNGEON DESIGN along with other parts of the many game layers--

--instead they turned receiving loot into insufferably busy-work that makes the player actually NOT look foward to receiving useless item parts/junk because he/she knows he/she has to wait until returning to Town Hub in order to pay money in order to see if the parts/junk he/she acquired will possibly form a weapon/armor/item that is better than what he/she currently utilizes...

If there was a way to more completely crush the entire elegance of Wizardry's style of LOOT by Fixed Enc. enemy only and of having each dungeon floor feature loot NOT RANDOMLY, but rather having each floor feature 3 "lists" and each fixed enc. would then "randomly" pick from one of the 3 tier lists for loot awarding... ETC, ETC, ETC.

I can go on and point out many more nit-picks with E: Gothic, but I think we all know they are just that: nit picks.

Starfish fucking managed to make an almost unassailably perfect apotheosis of Wizardry game gameplay synthesizing absolutely everything old and simultaenously welcoming the new, but always making sure to have an authorial hand maintaining the scared Authorial Contract, in this case making sure that "...t he welcomed new" would be a respite, would be a REPRISE of the zeitgeist of mechanical perfection of trad. Wizardry and NOT an excision of such.

...and obviously if we're gonna name E: Gothic mechanics that were undercooked, the absolutely most glaring simply that weapon enchantment, and this is putting aside for now the fact it's tied to 1 char. class (thus effectively turning the 6-person party always into a 5-person party, i.e. literally killing 1 char-slot because Alchemy/Smithing is something the game was designed around, yet bafflingly they made it "optional" in the worst way possible: in the "Bishop's way"... however, a game like GAIDEN 6 did enchantment sooooo--
Wizardry GAIDEN 6: Prisoner of the Battles, available via emulated delight for Playstation 2 and featuring Eng. Lang. "switches" for almost everything:

that game did weapon enchantment right in the context of when the weapon buffing is NOT TIED TO A CLASS/SKILL.

In Gaiden 6: PotB each weapon looted, upon being IDENTIFIED by a bishop or store keeper, it has a hidden RNG "Seed" which immediately fills that weapon/item with its ENCHANTMENT.

You don't know any of that, of course, but the system goes so: you then go to the Shop and you PAY MONEY to have them enchant aforementioned item, except the enchantment is random.

Now, we know thanks to me saying this now (ahem), that it's not truly random simply that they wanted to make sure the system was "un-scummable", and thus no amount of reloading/save-state abuse will grant a player the enchantment they wanted (worst case scenario, obv. it IS balanced).

They have to fucking live it with, and guess what? SOME ENCHANTMENTS MIGHT NOT BE BENEFICIAL!

Paying 2000 gp to have th eshop keeper turn your new Broadsword +1 into a Broadsword of Decay which drains your hit points by 1 point with every step the character takes... but inflicts poison and paralysis status ailments on-hit... Well, let's just say GAIDEN 6: PotB's enchantment system is a brilliantly joyful example of Wizardry and RPGs in general, obviously can implement the same shit in different pampers.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Every day, before i go to bed, i pray to god that someday someone will love me as much as Alweigh loves his Wizardry clones. My woman then always gets mad because she thinks i assume she doesnt love me. But she doesnt understand...

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
:d1p:

It looks beautiful in 1920x1080 and the translation seems spot on so far. Mind you, it's going to confuse the hell out of anyone who has trouble thinking or is used to AAA games explaining every little facet of gameplay. The config settings are a seperate .exe in the game folder and allow to set resolution and key bindings and that's it. Making an Angel's Fenestella is still required, (of course it is, it's a port not a remaster) and I can see people on Steam struggling with finding the Alchemy warehouse to make it.

Made a post on the Steam forums to try and help new blobber initiates out a bit, although it's a great game I feel it doesn't help itself out very well if you're new to this sort of game.

Also- no quit button lol. I suppose the PSP doesn't need a quit option!

jungl

Augur
nice now I can get my friends to maybe try it out. I know its a 2d dungeon crawler but I enjoyed it more then elex, original sin 2 and nioh lol.

Ventidius

Arbiter
Does anyone else feel the movement is a bit...off? When I leave the forward key pressed my party moves forward for a while then stops for a bit and then keeps going. Don't remember anything like that either on PC EG or in PSP EO. Will try tinkering with the settings to see if I can fix it.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
when you get an Alert and find yourself laughing out loud while reading a post you don't even remember making

:D :D :D

Ventidius

Arbiter
This game is every bit as fun as I remember it. While it may not be as complex as EG, this crawler hits the sweet spot for me between mechanical depth and aesthetics. The music, environments, artwork, portraits, interface, and the way the overall presentation comes together are all very well-done without sacrificing much of of the formula's mechanical substance. Let's hope this and the other ports are able to draw enough people into the series to encourage Starfish to release more games in the old mold.

Last edited:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
when you get an Alert and find yourself laughing out loud while reading a post you don't even remember making

:D :D :D

I must admit, that was one of your weirder posts. I did particularly like the line about "that was never imagined in the wildest dreams of anyone, ever, not even by people." Not even people, eh? :M

Really enjoying this again, trying to split time between this and Nioh and it's drawing me right back in again, for the third time. Rolling with Sam/Hunter/Thief/Cleric/Alch/Mage with a Bishop in storage at the bar for ID'ing. Really should try Shaman for once, never levelled with one as I'm not sure which role he fulfills really. I suppose he could replace the Hunter but I'm thinking the Hunter is going Ninja when I find a Class changing item, and I'll keep the Thief for all the juicy stealing you can do in E:O.

That's one of the great things about Elminage imo; all the classes are useful.

Edit- Maybe translation isn't quite perfect:

oahI9o1.jpg

At least it's not 'friend is call' and they got the races the right way round this time! To be fair, I've only seen this and the Angels Fenestella/ Fenestral done wrong, the translation is miles better than the original PSP version.

Last edited:

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is this a straight port from the PSP or are graphics/translation improved? Deciding if it is worth starting it again.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Is this a straight port from the PSP or are graphics/translation improved? Deciding if it is worth starting it again.

Well, it's pretty much a straight port- but yes the graphics and translation are a bit better than the PSP version. Everything else is the same though, so starting it again would depend on how much you miss Elminage. I don't think either of the improvements alter it in any significant way personally.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
I'm gonna choose to be as blunt as I possibly can in the following remark concerning Orig. VS Gothic:

(And yes I know Courtier has a deep appreciation for Orig., but I being morecycnical simply chalk it up to him playing it before Gothic)...

WITHOUT FURTHER ADO! LADIES AND LADIES!

[snip]

You should write a book
submit it here https://bossfightbooks.com/

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I have completed Elminage Original and played like 40 hours of Gothic, and I like Gothic a lot more, it's an amazing game. Both great games though.

I didn't complete Gothic because it was the end of a Blobber and Dungeon Crawler Marathon I did for months, and I was a little saturated of dungeon Crawlers. But when I feel it I'm going to be back to complete it with a lot of hype.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
For some reason Original is clicking with me a lot more than Gothic did. I like the presentation- the art, interface and especially the music seem much more appealing.

Gothic really suffers from a shitty start with some of the most stupid and dull dungeon design I have ever seen in a blobber. Original is a lot better and felt interesting from the get go- better dungeon layout with cool encounters.

I am a new with the elminage series, so I have no right to say which one is actually better (most people seem to side with Gothic) but I've been playing original in bursts of 2 hours. With Gothic I could only play in 20-30 minutes sessions before I broke from it from boredom.

501AE25EDD11AF42B21D29B63E02FDAE7BC0AB3C

jungl

Augur
thats cause original is about having fun not grinding for gear and mats so you dont get beheaded and blasted. Classes scale better in power so it doesn't feel like the drake fighter is carrying the party by himself for the entire game. Gothic is fun and great also but I feel the godawful translation and UI hurts its initial appeal too much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom