Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELMINAGE ORIGINAL COMING TO 3DS (localized!)

Courtier

Prophet
Noice, new content or portraits? Improved graphics=the reworked art from the PC rerelease?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just when I bought Original in Vita.

But no release in Europe so I guess I will emulate it.

The good thing is this means we will get eventually Gothic 3DS version in english

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Courtier

we need to ask Dorarnae , but from what he's mentioned:

- 3ds (and PC version) of E: Original include all of the avatar images from elmi 2 and elmi 3 (i *think* even the ones from Gothic, though on that i am unsure).
- "New" OST; not really though, they simply switched some tracks with the corresponding ones from elmi 2 and 3, like battle music I think. I *think* this can be reverted via the music load feature? Again, only dorarnae knows at the moment.
- (again, might not be true) I think they included ability to enter book of the future "next generation" codes to promote the game in japan, though I might be just hallucinating.

The biggest thing are the higher-resolution sprites and dungeon textures, the 3DS-style UI which to my shock is simply the best UI I've ever used for a 'crawler:

- does things like when you're transferring an item it automatically highlights the avatars of chars who can use it, and automatically "shadows" the chars who cannot use the item.

- chars who can "Hide" will have their avatar image automatically "shadowed" when the char hides successfully. So useful.

- renders in different colors char Attribute points: white when average, red when that stat is low, blue when high; this means you immediately know at a glance if the char's stats are good or bad. (for example a person might forget a Fairy can only reach 15 in VITALITY and while playing glance at the fairy's stats and think it's too low, but in 3DS UI it would be colored bright BLUE letting player know that it's at maximum).

- when shopping, character avatars automatically highlight/shadow themselves as you scroll through items. CANNOT STRESS HOW USEFUL THIS IS.

- when using Turn Order Queueing mode it automatically displays (in the avatar image) the INITIATIVE number that char rolled (goes from 1 to 20) so that you immediately know which chars will act before others.

AFAIK, no version of E: Original post-PSP release has extra Items or maps/floors/layouts, nor extra NPCs. After all, the PSP ver. of Original was already the third remake of this game.

EDIT 2x: Oh, I also think they made magic dolls and goblins and ogres available from the start, though again... need to verify with Dorarnae.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
nah elminage 2 on 3ds has the character art from elminage 3 and the music is from elminage 3 also. so I guess elminage original on 3ds is the same as the psp version except there's no faceload, you have to use the 3ds camera instead and no music load.
I haven't tried original on 3ds but pc version is the way to play it :)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
if you haven't tried it on 3ds yet then we don't yet know fur sure if will have the images/sounds from 2, 3 or even Gothic. not being snippy, just saying it's absolutely still possible.

Remember that the PC port, while this will sound "crazy", putting aside the reworking of the art assets actually required much less structural reworking of the game.

the 3DS versions completely eliminate the "traditional" short battle feedback that appears at the top of the screen and instead only uses the "detailed battle log" which narrates things in the window below like so:

Ana used
Leaf Blade
Dullahan is
dealt %d hits. / dealt %d damage.

(that's how I translate the detailed log, because obviously it's in jap. The localizations of Original and Gothic simply eliminate all of the adjectives/verbs used in the detailed battle log and it looks like the same as the short log except at the bottom).

(because they were lazy translators).

The PC ver. of original also won't feature the U.I. improvements that will come with the 3DS layout, as that is already done and coded and will simply taken from the 3ds versions of 2 and Gothic.

Anyway, excited.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
this is how the detailed log looks in jap:
Screenshot%202017-03-22%2022.24.05_zps4ukzlsdv.png

the characters after Luve are used by the game whenever a spell is cast, a weapon is swung, and even for when the mark of ruin damages the char at the end of the turn.

after much thought... I decided "used" worked.

Luve used
Mark of Ruin and suffered.
Luve dealt 6 points.

Luve used
Furious Cudgel
Snow Woman dealt 6 hits.
Snow Woman dealt 6 points.

Luve used
Full-Health Potion
Luve dealt 182 points.

etc. Honestly it wasn't that hard to think of a way to make the words "fit" and not read like gobbledygook. Couldn't use "damage" because the same string of code is used for healing so had to settle on "points".

Right now i'm trying to find the string of code that controls when the weapon/spell/item appears, i.e.:

Luve used (1st string)
Obsidian Blade (trying to find this one)
Unholy Ringer dealt 2 hits.
Unholy Ringer dealt 26 points.
Unholy Ringer was killed.

I wanna add "on" after the 2nd string, like so:

Luve used
Obsidian Blade on
Unholy Ringer dealt 2 hits yadda ydda

Ventidius

Arbiter
Man, those portraits look sweet, really looking forward to this. :bounce: Shame so far it only seems to be releasing in NA, no word of a European release at all, and with 3DS games being region locked and all that it's not like I can just order it on amazon. Well, here's to hoping they don't pull a Dark Spire and do get around giving it an European release (at least in the case of Dark Spire it wasn't that bad since DS games were not region locked).

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Man, those portraits look sweet, really looking forward to this. :bounce: Shame so far it only seems to be releasing in NA, no word of a European release at all, and with 3DS games being region locked and all that it's not like I can just order it on amazon. Well, here's to hoping they don't pull a Dark Spire and do get around giving it an European release (at least in the case of Dark Spire it wasn't that bad since DS games were not region locked).
The obvious answer would simply be to hack your 3DS to play American releases.

Ventidius

Arbiter
The obvious answer would simply be to hack your 3DS to play American releases.

Never bothered to check out anything to do with hacking because I didn't need it and assumed it would be risky in some way in any case, but I guess this is as good a time as any to look into it.

Guygrim

Novice
This release seems like a good starting point for delving into the Elminage series.

Having just completed Wizardry 1, I will have to balance out my time with Elminage and Wiz 2. One of them will probably get sidelined, we'll see which one it is.

Looking forward to this. :)

Guygrim

Novice
I have no experience with this game.

A few minutes in and I already noticed a missing conjunction. Can anyone confirm if it's a new translation?

After some looking online, the original release screwed up the Race names.

The race names and their corresponding stats all seem to match up though.

duanth123

Arcane
I have no experience with this game.

A few minutes in and I already noticed a missing conjunction. Can anyone confirm if it's a new translation?

After some looking online, the original release screwed up the Race names.

The race names and their corresponding stats all seem to match up though.

Is there a Goblin race in the character selection?

Guygrim

Novice
duanth123 said:
Is there a Goblin race in the character selection?

There is NO Goblin race at race selection screen.

An aside. One of the options on the world map is to do a face and style load. When you go into these menus it turns the 3DS camera on and you can take pictures to use as character portraits. I've been taking pics of MTG cards, heh. Although the 3DS camera is pretty horrible, the portraits are small enough it doesn't look bad.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
goblin has to be unlock I think by a quest because they're in 2 and 3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom