Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...lite-dangerous-mystery-is-finally-unravelling

A three-year-old Elite Dangerous mystery is finally unravelling
A conspiracy, a derelict megaship and a crew gone mad.

jpg

Elite Dangerous players have taken a significant step in solving a mystery that has befuddled its most rabid secret-hunters ever since the game came out.

The Formidine Rift mystery, as it's known, kicked off back in 2014 with the release of Drew Wagar's novel Elite Reclamation.

Since then players have searched for clues in an attempt to solve this mystery. This week, a major discovery was made that suggests a solution is near.

Elite Dangerous is no stranger to cool mysteries, ARGs and in-game secrets, and its community of players is infamous for spending months - sometimes years - trying to make sense of teases and clues planted both in-game and out by developer Frontier that may or may not relate to the coming of an evil alien race called the Thargoids.

The Formidine Rift mystery, though, is probably Elite Dangerous' longest-running puzzle. It was set in motion over three years ago, with clues dating back to January 2014, when author Drew Wagar was putting the finishing touches to his officially-licensed, considered canon book, Elite Reclamation.

jpg

Drew Wagar wrote Elite Reclamation long before the game was available.

Elite Reclamation features an old lady called Rebecca, who spoke of something lost within the Formidine Rift, something she couldn't quite recall because, it appeared, her memory had been wiped. But she knew this much: what she found there was extremely dangerous.

Ever since the novel came out, Elite Dangerous players have tried to work out what Rebecca was talking about. All they had to go on was a vague trajectory plot found in secret Imperial data banks: "Take a line from Reorte to Riedquat to the edge of the arm ... and keep going."

This being Elite, players kept going, triangulating the course as they uncovered clues such as beacons and bases. Along the way players discovered abandoned settlements in the Rift, settlements that included data that discussed an expedition from which no-one returned. But what was the expedition for? What was its goal? Players had no idea.

"For a long time we've known the Formidine Rift area was hiding secrets," CMDR Jackie Silver, intelligence officer of the Children of Raxxla, says.

The Children of Raxxla is a group of players who are dedicated to uncovering the truth behind some of the mysteries of the Elite universe (the titular Raxxla is a legendary lost planet described in the novella which accompanied the original Elite).

"The area has been intensely searched by pilots for years, she says. "Fairly recently, a series of communications satellites were found in three areas of the galaxy, including some near the Rift, and they pointed to abandoned bases on the surfaces of a few planets.

"The bases were associated with the mysterious Dynasty Expedition, which had been seeding beacons in remote places; the working hypothesis is that these beacons are possible areas of refuge in the event of some catastrophe overtaking humanity. (Human settlements in the game are mostly limited to within a few hundred light years of Earth.)"

jpg

The Formidine Rift is an area of space located between the Outer Perseus Arm and the New Galactic Arm. Image courtesy of Frontier forum user Acheron Kimald.

On 16th April - over three years after Elite Reclamation was released - the community was given a prod with the release of a transmission from an old, scrapped Cobra Mk 3 exploration ship by The Galactic News Network, aka Galnet. The message consisted of a series of 20 or so mythological references. The Elite community set to work.

Members of the Children of Raxxla were among the first to crack the code. Its members noticed that the first letters of the answers to the riddles included among them the word Rebecca, which the Children of Raxxla knew to be the name of the owner of the old Cobra.

A significant clue, then. But another came soon after: it turned out the remaining letters are the name of a star sector set way out across the Formidine Rift. The full message indicated a particular system within that sector: SYREADIAE JX-F C0.

"Those of us who were (relatively!) nearby immediately set off," CMDR Jackie Silver, who is credited with the discovery, says. "And pretty much everyone else in Intel made the galactic equivalent of handbrake turns and headed towards the Rift.

"I was docked at an asteroid base in the Heart Nebula a few thousand light years away, and joined up with fellow intel members CMDRs Sajime, Aleister Fox and Andrew Gaspurr as a wing of ships.

"Crossing the Formidine Rift can still be difficult even for a heavily modified exploration ship like the Diamondback I was flying, but after a couple of hours or thereabouts I was approaching the target system with CMDR Sajime close behind flying a much more capable Anaconda.

"When I jumped into the system, I immediately noticed the presence of a signal in orbit around the first planet, powered up my ship's meagre defences and dropped out of frameshift (warp drive, more or less) and found a giant derelict ship, the Zurara."

jpg

The Zurara, the megaship at the heart of the Formidine Rift mystery. Image courtesy of the Children of Raxxla.

This derelict ship is a gargantuan megaship - the biggest class of ship in Elite Dangerous. Megaships were introduced into the game with the recent 2.3 The Commanders update, and are comparable in size to most stations. But there was something off about this particular megaship - everyone on board was dead. It was quite obvious to CMDR Jackie Silver, a lifelong fan of the Elite series and sometime astrophysics graduate, that the Zurara was significant.

"I was very nervous," she says. "When I first saw the ship, I was relieved that it looked to be a human ship - not hostile aliens!"

CMDR Jackie Silver found the ship's log files were accessible by scanning different points on the ship - and at that point something very unusual for Elite Dangerous occurred: voice acting.

The first log was in full audio. The second log opened and CMDR Jackie Silver heard Rebecca's own voice. "I was very taken by that," she says. "She's a character we've known about for a long time, and to hear her speak..."

CMDR Shabooka, another member of the Children of Raxxla, was watching the discovery unfold in the group's Discord server. "I won't lie, I flipped out a little," he says.

"We've been looking for answers in this particular area of the galaxy for a long time, and when we discovered that what we just found was profoundly significant to the story, I lost it. Girly squeals, lots of giggling, and trying not to yell because it was midnight and my wife and baby were asleep."

CMDR Shabooka created the video, below, which contains the audio logs. (If you want to avoid spoilers for what they contain, don't watch the video or read on.)

The logs indicate the Zurara was a part of the mysterious Dynasty Expedition players had already discovered, and that the people who sent the megaship never intended for it to return. The logs also suggest the ship was sabotaged with a mind-altering poison that turned some of the crew into killers.

The implication is that there is some grand and highly resourced conspiracy being played out among the major powers of the game - the Federals, the Imperials and the Alliance - and that they're doing so because they are scared that something terrible will happen soon. The coming of the Thargoids? Perhaps. Whatever the case, all this appears to be some kind of contingency plan.

The Formidine Rift mystery was conceived by author Drew Wagar and incorporated into the game by Frontier, but what's cool is the actions of Elite Dangerous players are being factored into the sequel to Elite Reclamation, Elite Premonition.

According to Wagar, Premonition dramatises the behind-the-scenes story of events taking place in the Elite Dangerous universe, combining the overall narrative from Frontier with in-game player activities and exploits.

"This book isn't aiming just to be a compelling story, nor is it just a chronicle of what happened after events in-game," Wagar wrote in a post on his blog. "It has been and is still being written 'live' as the story develops and continues to be steered by player actions."

The finalé of Premonition, Wagar says, will be determined by players. To this end, a combat-focused in-game event that revolves around an in-universe character called Commander Salomé, aka Lady Kahina Tijani Loren, is planned for 29th April. CMDR Salomé, protagonist of Wagar's Elite novels, is the person responsible for releasing information on this conspiracy - and as a result there is a bounty on her head.

Here's the setup:
  • CMDR Salomé, formerly the disgraced Senator Kahina Tijani Loren, is wanted by the Empire.
  • She is accused of terrorism and is a convicted criminal, found guilty of the attempted assassination of Fleet Admiral Denton Patreus.
  • Her co-conspirators; CMDRs Raan Corsen, Tsu Singh and Yuri Nakamura are also wanted for aiding and abetting her in her plans to destabilise the galaxy.
  • So far they have evaded justice and remain at large. Intelligence reports indicate that they will be attempting to reach an unconfirmed destination in the heart of the core worlds (the bubble) for reasons unknown aided by disaffected factions and other malcontents.
  • A bounty of 5 Million credits is offered for Salomé's death. 2 Million credits is offered, apiece, on receipt of similar proof of her conspirators' demise.
  • Consider all of them armed and extremely dangerous.
  • They, and those helping them, have been sighted in and around the Col 70 Sector, in the vicinity of the 46 Eridani system.
  • Do not engage in communications. Show no mercy. Kill them all on sight.
The actions of players during this in-game event determines the fate of the in-game characters, including CMDR Salomé. Wagar has insisted that "if they die, they die". What if players kill all the characters? "So be it. That is a valid end to the story. The player-base decides the outcome. Our view is that in open mode everyone is 'role-playing' even if they're not consciously doing so. From a story perspective there are some contingency plans for continuity if this occurs."

So there you have it: the hunt for CMDR Salomé is on. Will players kill her? Or will they defend her?

"Her survival could be the key to everything that happens next," CMDR Jackie Silver says.

Whatever happens, the Children of Raxxla wait with baited breath for the next clue in the Formidine Rift mystery. Salomé, it turns out, is the group's figurehead leader. This is their moment.

for as good as the lore can be, elite's universe is not interactive. it's no eve where you actually build, move, conquer, it's all set in stone until a dev changes something in a patch.
a real shame.

Mortmal

Arcane
Yep and it should be moved to MMO subforum with star citizen, cause its not better in any way and it has nowhere near the depth of a serious simulator.Its a theme park MMO not even a sandbox one.

praetor

Arcane
for as good as the lore can be, elite's universe is not interactive. it's no eve where you actually build, move, conquer, it's all set in stone until a dev changes something in a patch.
a real shame.
Except you can:
https://imperium.news/first-player-owned-system-conquered-elite-dangerous/
It's just not as easy and transparent as in EVE.

no you can't. the only thing that changed is that instead of "faction X" now there's written "faction Y". nothing else changed. what is described in the article is what has been happening in the game since release (i.e. nothing). that some players proposed the existence of factions X and Y is inconsequential, as they are entirely meaningless and completely outside of players' control.

Mortmal

Arcane
so it's a matter of who grinds the most? damn, i wish i didn't know.
Not that it is much different in EVE IIRC. Although at least in EVE you get better benefits.
Except the space you own hold ressources , except you can fight players for real reasons, except you can build player owned stations there and there's whole politics ... Yeah pretty much the same.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
J_C

You clearly don't shit about EVE, and I assure you that you're embarrassing yourself with that line of reasoning.

If players choose to stick strictly to PvE, then yes, there is "grinding." In the PvP portion of EVE, which is the only part that really matters, there need be little or no grinding. There are, for example, prestigious old lowsec corporations who have sources of residual income (in addition to loot gained from PvP fights) and who provide all the ships and equipment their pilots need. The characters' skills train automatically over time, and they spend their entire gameplay roaming around lowsec looking for small-gang fights, never spending any time whatsoever "grinding" over the course of years of playing the game. In fact they may even earn enough to pay for all of their subscription time, so that they play the game for free.

That's how I spent most of my time playing EVE, although I also made half a trillion ISK over the years, mostly by playing the market when I was new and running wormholes when they were new. That was my choice, though. Yes, most players have side gigs of some kind, but they aren't required.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You cannot embarrass yourself on the Codex

^the key to understanding J_C
The key to understanding everybody. Why do you think people act like idiots and talk stupid shit all the time? Because it doesn't matter here, most of the people are just as big idiots as they are, just in another way. Do they don't care if they walk stupid shit.

That was the daily wisdom from J_C, have a good night everybody.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

welp, it's on sale, so I am going to buy even though I know it's probably trash.

I miss Frontier and $35 isn't much to me. I wanna land on empty planets for a few hours. :M

this is the same space game desperation that led me to buy the entire X series when it went on sale too.
:negative:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOU.

I just spent 20 minutes going through their stupid account setup process, which for some reason required me entering my address and all steam keys on 2 separate websites before I could log in to the game I ALREADY PAID THEM FOR.

Not a positive start. So basically, they've got around an hour and a half to convince me not to refund.

Morkar Left

Not a positive start. So basically, they've got around an hour and a half to convince me not to refund.

It will take this time to learn the controls and basic space flight. And then it will take you another 3 hours to set your controls right. Just sayin...

It will take this time to learn the controls and basic space flight. And then it will take you another 3 hours to set your controls right. Just sayin...
No, it won't. Refunded. :troll:

edit: no story to engage me right off the bat, controls sucked, you can only land on boring empty planets, combat felt dull, game made me feel motion sick (which 99% of the time means a refund anyway if I can't figure out a way to fix it in the graphics settings, usually by disabling motion blur). It's dead, Jim.
:dead:
Btw, crashed full throttle into a planet and survived easily, which felt lame. I tried crashing into a star, but it took too long. I did land on a planet and drive my SRV off a mountain (read: really big hill) though. That was fun, I guess...

Last edited by a moderator:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
No, it won't. Refunded. :troll:

edit: no story to engage me right off the bat, controls sucked, you can only land on boring empty planets, combat felt dull, game made me feel motion sick (which 99% of the time means a refund anyway if I can't figure out a way to fix it in the graphics settings, usually by disabling motion blur). It's dead, Jim.
:dead:
Btw, crashed full throttle into a planet and survived easily, which felt lame. I tried crashing into a star, but it took too long. I did land on a planet and drive my SRV off a mountain (read: really big hill) though. That was fun, I guess...
Short version: you never wanted this game, and never wanted to enjoy it. Otherwise you would have tried to play it as a game, instead of doing random shit like flying into a planet, or the sun.

Controls are great by the way, so as combat.

No problem with not enjoying it, I just don't know why did you buy it the first place.

Short version: you never wanted this game, and never wanted to enjoy it.
Your ASSMAD is showing.

I did want to like it, but I knew it wasn't likely based on what I've seen of it. Still, I was open and gave it a genuine shot. Not my fault if Steam limited that shot to a 2 hour window. If it had even been slightly enjoyable, I would have kept it as a good-for-what-it-is space game.

It sucked, game over.
Otherwise you would have tried to play it as a game, instead of doing random shit like flying into a planet, or the sun.
That's what I did in my last 15 minutes, after I knew I would refund.
Controls are great by the way, so as combat.
Wrong.
I have a huge problem with you not enjoying it, I wish you'd never bought it.
fix'd. me too. :M

It's a shame. I really did want to like it.

Occasionally, I'll see a YouTube video and someone will talk about something cool like slave trading, but then I remember that it all comes down to meaningless numbers.

Just saw a video of some guy who traveled 22k light years. Sounds cool, but then I watch the video and it's just jump, wait, jump, wait, jump, wait...over and over.

And what does he get when he gets there? Nothing really, just takes a screenshot from some planet. Meh.

I like a lot of concepts, but it seems pretty hollow at this point and the control issues made me not want to put up with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom