Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
MODULE STORAGE IS IN! Finally you can store different modules you bought and you can install them as you will, and you don't have to sell the old one to install the new one all the time. Fuck this was needed.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Had something of a mental breakdown yesterday. :M I wasted an hour doing a simple cargo mission, where I had to bring 8 units of tea. But I couldn't find tea anywhere. Even the online trading tools fucked me over. I was so frustrated, I started to dock in, dock out in full speed with boost. I've lost 2 Cobra yesterday in that hour.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Sounds like you're burnt out of the game, scouring the entire milky way for a few bags of tea seems not worth it.
I wanted to take a break anyway. :D
I did these badly paying missions to build up my reputation with a fraction. I wouldn't have bothered with it otherway.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I got a notification that version 2.2 is coming, which will bring passenger contracts, fighter deployment and ship transfer, among other things.

I'm currently a bit burnt out too, but I think it will be good for a lot more hours once updates are released. I'd actually still itch for some asteroid mining but so far the payback was low and the frustration great, wasted two full days in which I made no money at all, a little bit gold and stuff barely made up the cost of the insurance and the money I lost on the useless Type VI freighter. It is actually a very stupid situtation, asteroid mining could be interesting per se with very little changes, but it's simply too unattractive if you can make much more money much easier.

And then when I make 10, 20, 100 million I will only spend them on ships that are marginally better. The whole ED experience suffers not from lack of gameplay, but from a lack of goals. (What I would love to but what probably never happens would be to buy whole solar systems and manage them economically .. I know, it will never happen, but only that would give us something to do in the MMO scenario)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I got a notification that version 2.2 is coming, which will bring passenger contracts, fighter deployment and ship transfer, among other things.

I'm currently a bit burnt out too, but I think it will be good for a lot more hours once updates are released. I'd actually still itch for some asteroid mining but so far the payback was low and the frustration great, wasted two full days in which I made no money at all, a little bit gold and stuff barely made up the cost of the insurance and the money I lost on the useless Type VI freighter. It is actually a very stupid situtation, asteroid mining could be interesting per se with very little changes, but it's simply too unattractive if you can make much more money much easier.

And then when I make 10, 20, 100 million I will only spend them on ships that are marginally better. The whole ED experience suffers not from lack of gameplay, but from a lack of goals. (What I would love to but what probably never happens would be to buy whole solar systems and manage them economically .. I know, it will never happen, but only that would give us something to do in the MMO scenario)
My goal what I've set up for myself is to get to an allied rating with one of the parties. So I'm doing missions for them now.

As for being burning out, my experience is that people should take some time out from the game from time to time, and only consume the game in small chunks. :) Otherwise you will get enough of ED quite easily.

Burning Bridges

J_C I never got this working. So you do missions for one subfaction only? Because I normally do all of them depending on price and my allegiation never improved.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
J_C I never got this working. So you do missions for one subfaction only? Because I normally do all of them depending on price and my allegiation never improved.
I just go to a station, choose a faction (Green party of Yingo right now) and start doing the quests of that faction alone. You can see the little blue line on te reputation panel slowly increasing.

Burning Bridges

But if you do missions for the other factions on the system, it will cancel out? Because that's what happens to me, as the follow up missions are usually not attractive.
This may be related to the way I am playing, I usually just dick around until someone offers me a mission over 200 or 300K

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
But if you do missions for the other factions on the system, it will cancel out? Because that's what happens to me, as the follow up missions are usually not attractive.
This may be related to the way I am playing, I usually just dick around until someone offers me a mission over 200 or 300K
I think some fanction's cancel out themselves, but not all. There might be opposing factions a station. I'm just doing one faction's missions, even if they only pay a few credits. Hell, I even donated them 300K at one time.

Suchy

Arcane

Get in touch with a bounty hunter for asteroid mining. You have some protection and your wingman earns good cash as well. Currently I'm flying in an A-class Vulture and can easily make 1 - 1.5 mln per hour just killing pirates in res sites (high). Last week I joined a community goal - restoring order at some system - got about 15mln just from bounties + ~20mln from the top 10% participation tier. Also hunting pirates is a quick way to get the ally status with local factions
Now taking a break for Deus Ex.

Last edited:

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
G7lwbWw.jpg

tumblr_m5f6g8wtKP1qe80mfo1_1280.png

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I started this up again this week. Seems I left the game with a combat Imperial Clipper and exploration specced Asp Explorer.

I wanted to go do some deep space exploring but I only got about 1000Ly out of the bubble before I got bored. :M

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I bought the premium beta for 120 euros back in 2014, and I must have played retail for about 1 or 2 hours.

Decided to give it another go so I claimed Steam keys because I didn't have it on Steam yet, turns out I get Horizons too?

Mortmal

Arcane
I bought the premium beta for 120 euros back in 2014, and I must have played retail for about 1 or 2 hours.

Decided to give it another go so I claimed Steam keys because I didn't have it on Steam yet, turns out I get Horizons too?
No, you get horizons, if you bought the lifetime pass, premium beta is not enough.

DDZ

Patron
After your post I read the little note on the key redeem page and figured you were right and it would just add it to steam

iljMFf1.png

But after that I launched ED: Horizons and logged in to my account and was able to start the game and got into my ship.

What's going on?

EDIT:

mOkMIPH.png

Burning Bridges

If you bought the main game and Horizons on Steam it's not enough to install via Steam. You need to go to the Frontier page, log in with your account and do the same stuff (google a bit, somewhere under my downloadeable products you need to redeem the key once).

I had the same problem and thought it was stupid and unprofessional, almost refunded because of it.

DDZ

Patron
I backed the main game when it was in beta in 2014, the Premium Beta, it cost me 120 euros, but after some googling it seems Premium Beta backers got a free Lifetime Season Pass.

YHUEUzA.png

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
If you bought the main game and Horizons on Steam it's not enough to install via Steam. You need to go to the Frontier page, log in with your account and do the same stuff (google a bit, somewhere under my downloadeable products you need to redeem the key once).

I had the same problem and thought it was stupid and unprofessional, almost refunded because of it.
I had the exact same problem, I didn't know how to register my Horizons DLC which I bought on Steam. I don't know why was it so difficult for Frontier to implement this. If you bought Horizons on Steam, you should be able to play it immediately, instead of fucking around in your Frontier account.

Burning Bridges

J_C It would be not a big deal if you knew what's going on, the real problem here is that it happens to everyone and results in an infinite authentification loop. That means you enter your name and password so you can play the fucking game, and when you click Enter it says it sent a confirmation code. If you enter that code it simply erases the fields and you have to do it again, and again and again until all eternity. This is highly unprofessional stuff, if this was my company I would find the person responsible, put him in a large enough cannon and fire him into the Andromeda Galaxy.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
J_C It would be not a big deal if you knew what's going on, the real problem here is that it happens to everyone and results in an infinite authentification loop. That means you enter your name and password so you can play the fucking game, and when you click Enter it says it sent a confirmation code. If you enter that code it simply erases the fields and you have to do it again, and again and again until all eternity. This is highly unprofessional stuff, if this was my company I would find the person responsible, put him in a large enough cannon and fire him into the Andromeda Galaxy.
Couldn't agree more. :)

DDZ

Patron
So, whats the verdict, should I get in to this right now or wait for the patch? I'm starting from scratch..

Also, should I launch Horizons or the vanilla client?

Burning Bridges

It doesnt matter what you launch afaik.

And about the patch, I would play it now, unless you have a good reason not to.

Mortmal

Arcane
So, whats the verdict, should I get in to this right now or wait for the patch? I'm starting from scratch..

Also, should I launch Horizons or the vanilla client?
Theres absolutely no reason to wait, nothing will change after the patch except a few features you wont have access soon, ships with fighters bay are very expensive. Use the horizon client.

Suchy

Arcane
It doesnt matter what you launch afaik.

And about the patch, I would play it now, unless you have a good reason not to.
Actually it does matter - Horizons can only run on a 64bit system, hence the two executables.
Yeah, the thing with with registering DLC is a clusterfuck. I'm still not able to launch Horizons from Steam in VR mode, as it only shortcuts to the 32bit launcher, so my play time is not counted.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom