Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Shadenuat

Arcane
Why do people want to join Skyrim larpers so much anyway?

Praise Calaan

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Why do people want to get SUGGESTED for wrongthink anyway?

Praise profit/nature because I am not sure who to join yet, certainly not Clerics anyway.

tekknej

Novice
Do people really like open world instead of small compact world?
i loved gothics 1 and 2 because they were compact, heard the same a lot from other people too.
was really worried elex would go gothic 3 route. not even in terms of being unfinished or buggy, but just because of smudging all the content around too much. in gothic 3 i felt like i just moved from city to city without much connection, although i still enjoyed exploration between them, at least in the central foresty part. elex seems to have much less amount of cities though, so i'm hoping they made it work.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Who you side with does not impact how you play the game. Elex is the polar opposite.

Wrong, The entire last half of the game changes based on your faction choice in Fallout 4. Takes a google search.

--
I was just pointing out the hypocritical nature that a feature you love in one game is magically shit in another.
Nobody can even articulate why, so they fall back to lame rationalizations or vague statements.

Again as I keep saying and nobody ever challenges:

- You are a special commander for some faction of super soldiers who loses his powers and you rise up and lead a faction in a mission of revenge that only you can do. ( Snowflake Chosen One)
- The Factions give lame quests that rarely have branching or long term consequences (Spare or Kill Bioshit Sprinkled with Bethesda Tier Factions)
- Combat is essentially Left click when the little bar hits the other bar (Witcher 1 Timed DDR Combat that was universally shat on at the time but now has super depth and skill)
- LoLJetpacks (Andromeda)
- Game Journalists Hate it - It's amazing.

Have fun with your Gothic game that is totally not Bioware / Bethesda inspired euro trash.
It's not a big deal honestly, I would of stopped at one post but the way people get so defensive and angry honestly has been pretty fun.

I don't care anymore - NeoGaff is more exciting now.

:positive:

Not to be a dick, but your close reading skills could use some work. I said factions in new fallout don’t affect HOW you play the game, as in GAMEPLAY (unlike Elex where it can have a huge impact). Obviously faction choice affects the plot, such as it is in Fallout 4. But whoever you side with, you can use all the weapons and armor and skills in Fallout 4. No gameplay elements are gated by your choices.

Also, the factions in F4 are NOT mutually exclusive until the endgame. You can work directly for all four until the battle of bunker hill. Hell, you can work for the railroad, the brotherhood and the minutemen (not that they really count) right through the end if you want to. F4 really does not make you pay for your decisions.

I’ve given many examples: faction specific powers like psi, magic, drugmaking/crafting. Faction specific equipment that’s more than just cosmetically different. Hell, if you join the Clerics you can learn MIND CONTROL for conversations. F4 has nothing like that. Doing more stuff for your faction after joining gives you access to more faction specific skills and many of them really are quite unique. Google it.

Elex’s faction quests are way more than just kill/spare. There is a massive amount of branching choice and consequence, and it hits you over and over again.

My fave so far:

Did you plant the bug for the outlaws on the cleric’s radio tower when you repaired it? Then when you go to meet the cleric’s convoy for a different quest later it will get ambushed. After that ambush, depending on how much you favor one faction or the other across a series of quests in Adessa, there may or may not be an outlaw uprising (happens when you aren’t there because the world goes on without you and you are not the center of the universe), and the city may or may not fall to the Albs pretty quickly. Then, also depending on who you helped across several different quests, a different faction will be around to help you take it back. This is all very early in the game in a single region and it’s a big fuckig surprise.

Unlike Elex, F4 minimizes conflict between the non institute factions until you approach the very end, and even then that conflict is chosen and driven by the player.

Killing even unimportant seeming people to solve quests can change the story pretty dramatically—the game even warns you when you do it. “You’ve killed Sam, this will change the story.”

Combat is not just watching the damned combo bar and clicking the right mouse button; for starters, there are three different buttons for three different attacks. It’s not the most sophisticated system but it’s way better than TW1 and what you’re saying is simply inaccurate.

I’m sorry you don’t like the twitch/YouTube videos of Elex you’ve been watching, but don’t act like you know anything about the game when you clearly haven’t played it (or even read much of this thread).

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Shadenuat

Arcane
Do people really like open world instead of small compact world?
i loved gothics 1 and 2 because they were compact, heard the same a lot from other people too.
was really worried elex would go gothic 3 route. not even in terms of being unfinished or buggy, but just because of smudging all the content around too much. in gothic 3 i felt like i just moved from city to city without much connection, although i still enjoyed exploration between them, at least in the central foresty part. elex seems to have much less amount of cities though, so i'm hoping they made it work.
Honestly, the Dragon Age Inquisition sized areas with loot caches and monstorz get old quickly even with jetpack imo. So thank PB for teleporters. Without those game would't be as playable.

For people who wants to save up a couple of fps,you can remove the fog which is pretty ugly in the first place with this mod
https://www.nexusmods.com/elex/mods/3/?

Gives a pretty good boost to the performance,up to 20 fps on my gtx 1070.
Thank god. I get from 50 to 100+ fps on all ultra and that fog makes me just crazy. Gonna try it now.

edit. +15-20 fps instantly on load up to 75-80 inside Cleric's. Hurrah.

Last edited:

ortucis

Prophet
Well, I finally see why we need so much money. 10,000 for a legate armor? What a rip-off.

Oh well, time to start selling my precious.. :negative:

VURHGpN.png

So, Clerics are stiff tech-fags with ranks such as Paladins and strict laws?
I haven't seen anything like this before...

Holy shit, that's disgusting. They've just ripped-off Brotherhood.

I thought so as well, except Clerics aren't as retarded as Brotherhood (at least not Bethesda's version) since they are open to trading with others, helping people and protecting the world instead of hoarding all tech.

That's why I joined them, not cause of their dumbfuck religion, which you can already learn about if you haven't even met the Clerics. While exploring, I kept finding fliers from a company inviting their people and their families to take part in "Natural Skies" project, taking their blood for tests. It's probably those scientists who discovered ELEX properties (few diary pages you find explain what happened in the beginning), but Natural Skies sounds like something that existed before comet crash, so I could be wrong.
well maybe was not a natural disaster. Maybe the comet was a space station or similar.

Not sure. Space station would do radiation damage, me thinks.

But "Natural Skies" fliers are shady, like "government doing experiments on people, turning them into mutants" shady. If you read all those fliers and notes you pick up, there are so many possibilities for what happened.

Also, for companion, Caja's quest is actually interesting since you start learning something new about ELEX itself.

I'm loving this game. No matter how generic the ending is going to be, the journey will be worth it.
Radiation damage? Like the fuckton of geiger counter beepbeepbeeepbeeepbeeeep :dead: around every corner?

Yeah, good thing there's none of that in the game :lol:

Fuckton? You mean small areas strategically cordoned off with radiation? That sure is fuckton. +M

bataille

Arcane
I just realised you can only equip one ring,why the fuck is that,does Jax has only one finger? So damn weak that you can't even wear two rings,poor fucking Jax

I think they may have misunderstood the 'equip the ring' advice and took it a bit too close to heart.
Also, a fitting post number, good job.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Faction specific equipment that’s more than just cosmetically different.
That true? I've been oggling lazor rifle but it has 30 damage written on it, while bow from prologue location has 27.
(not that I could use any of that since I need more dex for lazor rifle and leveling up stat above 30 takes x2 points so more grind... just for the sake of grind. and then I picked harpoon launcher somewhere which has close stat requirements but has 80 damage)
Then armor requires STR, so I feel like game is about grinding some fetch quests and stuff until you can unlock main gameplay, unless you just like to fight rats and beakers.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, I finally see why we need so much money. 10,000 for a legate armor? What a rip-off.

VURHGpN.png

So, Clerics are stiff tech-fags with ranks such as Paladins and strict laws?
I haven't seen anything like this before...

Holy shit, that's disgusting. They've just ripped-off Brotherhood.

I thought so as well, except Clerics aren't as retarded as Brotherhood (at least not Bethesda's version) since they are open to trading with others, helping people and protecting the world instead of hoarding all tech.

That's why I joined them, not cause of their dumbfuck religion, which you can already learn about if you haven't even met the Clerics. While exploring, I kept finding fliers from a company inviting their people and their families to take part in "Natural Skies" project, taking their blood for tests. It's probably those scientists who discovered ELEX properties (few diary pages you find explain what happened in the beginning), but Natural Skies sounds like something that existed before comet crash, so I could be wrong.
well maybe was not a natural disaster. Maybe the comet was a space station or similar.

Not sure. Space station would do radiation damage, me thinks.

But "Natural Skies" fliers are shady, like "government doing experiments on people, turning them into mutants" shady. If you read all those fliers and notes you pick up, there are so many possibilities for what happened.

Also, for companion, Caja's quest is actually interesting since you start learning something new about ELEX itself.

I'm loving this game. No matter how generic the ending is going to be, the journey will be worth it.
Radiation damage? Like the fuckton of geiger counter beepbeepbeeepbeeepbeeeep :dead: around every corner?

Yeah, good thing there's none of that in the game :lol:

Fuckton? You mean small areas strategically cordoned off with radiation? That sure is fuckton. +M

Ran into 3 of those "small" areas on my way to complete the first sidequest (that for some reason sends you halfway across the world, through areas you are MASSIVELY underleveled for, to talk to 5 dudes about a murder or something) so it seems like they are,all over the place.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Also the voice volume is too damn low,so you costumize that shit too,by editing the Steam\steamapps\common\ELEX\data\ini\ConfigDefault.xml file changing Voice="0.4" to Voice="1.0".

<Authoring MusicGame="0.7" MusicOverride="0.8" MusicCutscene="1.0" Voice="1.0">
</Authoring>

Bl@de

Educated
So ... How is it? Worse than Gothic 2 or a lot worse? Reviews and first impressions look positive ... except for crap combat

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
That true? I've been oggling lazor rifle but it has 30 damage written on it, while bow from prologue location has 27.
(not that I could use any of that since I need more dex for lazor rifle and leveling up stat above 30 takes x2 points so more grind... just for the sake of grind. and then I picked harpoon launcher somewhere which has close stat requirements but has 80 damage)

Clerics have the best energy weapons and outlaws have the best boomsticks, but you don’t need to join them to get lesser versions.

There is a plasma rifle lying around in the Abessa converter that’s occupied by the separatists—good for knocking down large groups. And you can easily steal a laser blaster in Dome city; it’s high up in the cleric area at the top of one of the many stacks of containers. Lasers can fire in short or long bursts so you shoot a lot faster than a bow, and the ammo is less than half the cost of plasma.

You don’t need to be a cleric to use energy weapons, though, it’s just access to the best ones and the awesome armor that you need to join for (and the massively overpowered psi abilities).

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So anyway, if the stats aren't working (i.e CON doesn't give HP, STR doesn't give damage), how are they going to fix and balance it?
Maybe it's intended, measure agains cheaters.

Can anyone explain the difference between a laser blaster and a laser rifle?
It's definitely a thing from classic sci-fiction of 70s.

Thanks fro using spoiler Turisas!

Looks like someone was intended to wait out apocalypse with the um... comfort? Don't know better fitting word sorry.

Sunbath. It's so good to take sunbath sometimes, sitting somewhere at the top.

ortucis

Prophet
Ran into 3 of those "small" areas on my way to complete the first sidequest (that for some reason sends you halfway across the world, through areas you are MASSIVELY underleveled for, to talk to 5 dudes about a murder or something) so it seems like they are,all over the place.

I have only seen small pockets of radiation and others are at edges of the map. Hell, I only started noticing them when I was like 15 hrs in.

Then again, I never ventured outside the opening biome to complete any quest. Any quest that required me to can wait.

Now that I am a legate, I will start venturing to desert area, which I haven't seen at all (26 hrs in). I'm excited to see the Outlaws after all the hype from people escaping them.

VURHGpN.png

The Paladin armor will be twice as much. Might I recommend you pick up pickpocketing, if you already haven't.

I have level 1 in pickpocketing (had to invest in cause I joined the Claws). But so far, I get like 30-80 elexit when I pick-pocket people, unless I find a key or something useful.

20,000 shouldn't be hard though. I already had like 6700 in the inventory, sold all inventory crap (excluding armor and weapons which I'm hoarding) and ended up with 14000 elexit in a few seconds. I have to put 10 points in constitution though, that's why haven't bought the armor. :(

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Clerics have the best energy weapons and outlaws have the best boomsticks, but you don’t need to join them to get lesser versions.

There is a plasma rifle lying around in the Abessa converter that’s occupied by the separatists—good for knocking down large groups. And you can easily steal a laser blaster in Dome city; it’s high up in the cleric area at the top of one of the many stacks of containers. Lasers can fire in short or long bursts so you shoot a lot faster than a bow, and the ammo is less than half the cost of plasma.

You don’t need to be a cleric to use energy weapons, though, it’s just access to the best ones and the awesome armor that you need to join for (and the massively overpowered psi abilities).

So the reason attributes are meaningful is because... they gate the weapons

and

the reason factions are so good is because... they gate the weapons

Am I detecting the 'incline' gist of what you're saying right?

Now, I'm no expert on what constitutes incline gameplay on these boards as it never ceases to amaze me what games people rant and rave about round here while dumbfucking others with, what I would call, similar tastes, but are you really saying this game is incline simply because all mechanics lead to gated equipment? I dunno, what with all the jumping over goombahs and big chickens in this game, I can't help thinking of it as "daddy's MarioRPG"...

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'm not against gating content but it must be done with some finesse a-la break into telvanni vault behind lock 100/go into the glow/weapons not effective if you don't know how to use them or you use blaster as melee club weapon (might and magic). But it's pretty obnoxious in this game with stats and fak-you-shuns and it just looks odd in an open world game.

C&C sometimes make it look even more odd. I got quest to find chinese cpu for mechas, and was busy doing 1st quest for becoming acolyte when one of the robots malfunctioned and was killed (and I got some nice scrap from it), and quest giver evangelion fatherlady was like THIS IS CRUCIAL DO IT NOW. I am like - well shit, yess miss asuka langley, quest compass - AKTIVU!
Go there, and there are 3 murder bots and 1 super murder skull bot fighting 1 poor cleric who gets killed instantly which is... I have no idea how far from my level (although small bots I could damage).
Miss really, if that is so important maybe you send someone else but a guy who didn't even go through your first prayers and carries a viking coat and a rusty ax? No? Then, don't spam me with C&C to show how important that is. Will be your problem when your whole mecha army kills everyone.

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

So the reason attributes are meaningful is because... they gate the weapons

and

the reason factions are so good is because... they gate the weapons

Am I detecting the 'incline' gist of what you're saying right?

Now, I'm no expert on what constitutes incline gameplay on these boards as it never ceases to amaze me what games people rant and rave about round here while dumbfucking others with, what I would call, similar tastes, but are you really saying this game is incline simply because all mechanics lead to gated equipment? I dunno, what with all the jumping over goombahs and big chickens in this game, I can't help thinking of it as "daddy's MarioRPG"...
I can see how you’d get there, but no. I was answering his question about gear, and answering the other guy’s question about how factions in Elex differ from Fallout 4.

Factions gate skills/powers, which changes the gameplay substantially depending on who you join. It’s nothing new for a PB game, but I like it a lot. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. The stats only affecting skills and equipment would bother me more if this wasn’t an ARPG, but it is.

Does Elex represent incline? I’d say it’s a much better RPG than most action RPGs, but a worse action game. In the end, Elex is the first really good Piranha Bytes title in quite some time, so it certainly represents relative incline. And it requires some thought, which is something I’ve missed.

That said, I’m with you on the sheer schizophrenia of the collective codex’s likes and dislikes. But I’m a newfag around here so hopefully I haven’t gone off the deep end yet.[/QUOTE]

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Does anyone feel that there aren't any interesting items in this game at all,I've explored maybe half of the map and all i keep finding are the same damn mugs,cups,soft toilet paper,pieces of elexite and a potion here and there.Also by not being able to loot enemies out of their weapons or equipment it feels even worse,almost like I'm playing Arcania again.They took so many little steps back with this game that I really wonder if I'm playing the same game as the other folks

Raapys

Arcane
The best weapons can all be found in the wild, usually guarded by tougher enemies. Some can also be found in faction-buildings or pickpocketed.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Time when I finished every quest I could find in chapter 1: 25 hours.
Time when I joined the Berserkers: 26 hours.
Time when I became highest rank in the Berserkers: 27 hours.

Oh PB, never change.
I suppose my stupid "must do every quest" playstyle is to blame.

I predict the game to be over before 30 hours have passed total. :M

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Choosing a faction to join is too hard. Clerics are absolute cunts but I love their guns, Berserkers hate technology needlessly and Outlaws are basically TV stealing niggers but again I love the firepower. At the same time I want to give Magalan a future so Berserker is the best way to go, but what kind of future is just shitting from trees with no innovation? I guess having mana powered firearms would be rad but the fucks on top won't allow me ebil technology.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom