Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Shadenuat

Arcane
dragonul09 is in need of some Duras in his life:
That was pretty shitty moment of taking control away from the player. I didn't even understand what happened when my character suddenly decided to hit big armored dude in a cutscene.

I don’t mind the high damage resistance. In the real world, armor was insanely overpowered for millennia.
That all milanese bows plate nice but since there are artifact more powerful bows there is really very little finesse in the game about it (not like plasma rifle > regular rifle > 10 mm pistol), so it's not a good argument.

Last edited:

ortucis

Prophet
So, Clerics are stiff tech-fags with ranks such as Paladins and strict laws?
I haven't seen anything like this before...

Holy shit, that's disgusting. They've just ripped-off Brotherhood.

I thought so as well, except Clerics aren't as retarded as Brotherhood (at least not Bethesda's version) since they are open to trading with others, helping people and protecting the world instead of hoarding all tech.

That's why I joined them, not cause of their dumbfuck religion, which you can already learn about if you haven't even met the Clerics. While exploring, I kept finding fliers from a company inviting their people and their families to take part in "Natural Skies" project, taking their blood for tests. It's probably those scientists who discovered ELEX properties (few diary pages you find explain what happened in the beginning), but Natural Skies sounds like something that existed before comet crash, so I could be wrong.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Funny how close my Heavens Gate meme came to one of the factions :P

(I joined them too)

Elex

Arbiter

I thought so as well, except Clerics aren't as retarded as Brotherhood (at least not Bethesda's version) since they are open to trading with others, helping people and protecting the world instead of hoarding all tech.

That's why I joined them, not cause of their dumbfuck religion, which you can already learn about if you haven't even met the Clerics. While exploring, I kept finding fliers from a company inviting their people and their families to take part in "Natural Skies" project, taking their blood for tests. It's probably those scientists who discovered ELEX properties (few diary pages you find explain what happened in the beginning), but Natural Skies sounds like something that existed before comet crash, so I could be wrong.
well maybe was not a natural disaster. Maybe the comet was a space station or similar.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't understand melee exactly. In Gothic you could hit any time and used backstep, here you can only hit when prompted? Isn't that a step back from more freeform type of combat? And there's no way to fight multiple opponents except luring them somewhere one by one?

What if you don't use Elex? Or is it the only way to get a lot of xp?

Where are you getting the idea that you can only hit the enemy when prompted? You can do a light or heavy attack whenever you want. It’s just that by timing them well you can also do a combo attack or a special attack, both of which do way more damage.

Backstep or sidestep or dodge or block followed by strong attack to knock enemy over is indeed a good tactic.

You can absolutely fight multiple opponents in a group. I just killed a group of three thugs outside outlaw town in pretty short order. But if you’re too low level with lousy equipment groups will kill you. The game plays very differently at level 1 versus, say, level 12.

And those small Elex potions are a terrible way to get exp, but you can turn them or raw Elex into the medium potions that are a fabulous way to get extra attribute points. 450 elexit to get 2 points.

Re: jetpack attack. Yeah, that’s awesome, but be careful because it really depletes your jetpack’s power.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
dragonul09 is in need of some Duras in his life:
That was pretty shitty moment of taking control away from the player. I didn't even understand what happened when my character suddenly decided to hit big armored dude in a cutscene.

I don’t mind the high damage resistance. In the real world, armor was insanely overpowered for millennia.
That all milanese bows plate nice but since there are artifact more powerful bows there is really very little finesse in the game about it (not like plasma rifle > regular rifle > 10 mm pistol), so it's not a good argument.

It’s an argument about why it makes sense to have enemies who you can’t really hurt. Sure you have super powered weapons, but you also have super powered armor, as well as mutated monsters with presumably very thick hides. Even today in the real world, kevlar will stop most bullets. The clerics and albs and berserkers would obviously develop armor with some insulation to resist lasers and plasma bolts. Highly effective armor = good game design.

As for that Duras cutscene, you try to attack him because you think he’s the prick who stole your armor. Jax is in a lot of pain from being shot, falling and Elex withdrawal so maybe he’s not making super rational decisions.

PS. Can anyone explain the difference between a laser blaster and a laser rifle?

tekknej

Novice

Are you telling me that rock is not acting like a heat seaking missile,are you really that dumb to think that kind of AI and artificial difficulty should be normal in any game? Jesus christ,some people on this forum are mentaly retarded or something

hesus fucking christe, there has to be a line drawn somewhere. vigorously jumping in front of a rock without changing velocity and then blaming the rock is really cunning. are you in an insurance fraud buisness by any chance? i knew this generation was fucked when i started hearing kids at the dinner table discussing "have you heard about dark souls, its reeeeaaaaaaallly hard. like super hard, no game ever was that hard ever ever". i think i'm triggered a bit...

ortucis

Prophet

well maybe was not a natural disaster. Maybe the comet was a space station or similar.

Not sure. Space station would do radiation damage, me thinks.

But "Natural Skies" fliers are shady, like "government doing experiments on people, turning them into mutants" shady. If you read all those fliers and notes you pick up, there are so many possibilities for what happened.

Also, for companion, Caja's quest is actually interesting since you start learning something new about ELEX itself.

I'm loving this game. No matter how generic the ending is going to be, the journey will be worth it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Speaking of multiple foes, imagine my surprise when I ran into a mob of 5 bandits on the gangways near the old cleric-taken factory in the SE corner of the map, flew onto a rooftop to regen hp and it turns out that all of them also had jetpacks.

In the end it proved to be their downfall, though. Opened up with one grenade to knock them down, then flew up on the rooftop again, and the moment they appeared, force wave -> engage jump jets -> 2 more grenades -> pick off the stragglers.

latest
The patient hunter gets the prey.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's just a shame that you can't throw them off buildings. Missed opportunity now that you can climb all kind of stuff.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's just a shame that you can't throw them off buildings. Missed opportunity now that you can climb all kind of stuff.

Actually, one of them was pushed to the edge, and when he got up he fell down.

As fate would have it, I was thrown off the platform as well, so I could watch his epic flight... and to my great surprise, he didn't splatter himself upon landing, but instead MELDED INTO THE FUCKING MOUNTAINSIDE :lol:

Raapys

Arcane
I stun-locked the Ogre. She's considered your companion for that quest I think, so AoE weapons don't hit her.

Shadenuat

Arcane
wow

nHKRmIn.png

But I srsly should stop climbing everything that is climbable

After going around for hours after refusing viking love I mostly found
- death
- quests that refuse to activate because I don't have prerequisite ("go away!" - arrow in the face)
- some loot
- death
- no directions or dialogue or quests whatsoever
- npcs that just aggro on me without any reason
- death
- rebel Albs who finally gave me quest compass to their base so I could go somewhere else but viking saunas

So trekin there.

So far not persuaded by gothic formula being dilluted into big open world. I prefer
death
with less climbing around I guess.
Do people really like open world instead of small compact world? It's just your enemies and some loot caches.

The setting is also kinda derpy.

Most enemies having tracking ranged attacks is for banalcing out guns and jetpack I take it.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I tell you to go jump off a cliff. Will you do it?
Depends, do I get a jetpack? Because if so, fuck yeah.

are you one of those people who use a charisma-based build
I pumped a lot of initial points into Cunning, yeah, because the game presented that as a viable option with no indication that you'd furiously assfuck yourself by doing so, and then offered a ton of skill-locked dialogue options that you couldn't possibly meet at that time unless you avoid engaging in those conversations on purpose.

Again, the design is shit. It's like they actually didn't have anyone testing it other than themselves - themselves knowing all the ins and outs of the system and the perfect quest order and point distribution, but none of this is indicated or conveyed to the player. The game has the worst kind of hand-holding, such as quest compasses, auto-aiming, auto-lock, while also withholding any tools the player should be able to use to reach their own conclusions and resolve issues, such as the lack of a minimap, no explanation on what anything actually does, the worst journal system I've seen in well over a decade, etc.

Add to that a janky-as-fuck movement and controls and a small mountain of bugs (yay, I love to have to de-equip and re-equip my bow after accidentally doing a sudden roll into a hill because suddenly I don't have an arrow notched anymore and it can't re-notch it, or how you always start walking forward for a split second when you stop aiming, even though you're walking backwards the whole time, or how it almost never starts aiming in the direction you're looking, or how enemies clip through shit, or get stuck in world geometry, etc).

This game could've used another year in development, some testing by someone other than the developer team itself, and a single person capable of designing a UI that isn't completely fucked.

And someone that plays on something other than a controller. You can't even exit out of most stuff with Escape, and binds are all over the fucking place for no sensible reason. RMB is cancel? Dodging by double-clicking? Who the fuck was retarded enough to think this was a good idea?
well actually “knowing exactly the order and planning the stat allocation” is what i like to do in gothic, i love doing that add a tons of replayability combined with the multiple faction/option.

like joining the mage in gothic 2 and plan all what i can do without wasting points in str for example.
There's a difference between optimization and playable. Planning an optimal stat allocation is something you can do when you already know how a game works and plays out. It's not something on the table for Elex. If someone is autistic enough to play through it a few times then sure, I can see that, but then again, by that time you've already confirmed that you're fucking retarded to put yourself through that.

bataille

Arcane
wow

nHKRmIn.png

But I srsly should stop climbing everything that is climbable

After going around for hours after refusing viking love I mostly found
- death
- quests that refuse to activate because I don't have prerequisite ("go away!" - arrow in the face)
- some loot
- death
- no directions or dialogue or quests whatsoever
- npcs that just aggro on me without any reason
- death
- rebel Albs who finally gave me quest compass to their base so I could go somewhere else but viking saunas

So trekin there.

So far not persuaded by gothic formula being dilluted into big open world. I prefer
death
with less climbing around I guess.
Do people really like open world instead of small compact world? It's just your enemies and some loot caches.

Since you're thinking about stopping climbing stuff, I'll just say that there is one of the most useful utility armour pieces on top of one of the tallest structures in the game. Which one? Nobody knows!
Happy climbing, heh.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Andromeda doesn't start you off as a "Chosen One" AFAIK (I never played it)
My bad. It starts you off as the Pathfinder.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Pathfinder_Ryder

What's a pathfinder, you ask?

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Pathfinder

Pathfinders are a blend of elite soldier, scientist, and guide tasked by the Andromeda Initiative to find a new home for Milky Way colonists seeking to settle in the Andromeda galaxy. Each of the Initiative's five Arks are assigned their own Pathfinder, and each Pathfinder heads their own team to handle the challenges of an unexplored galaxy.

You aren't some secret God / Silver Shard baby. So what? This is nitpicking at best.

What are you in ELEX?

A betrayed Commander of the Alb's who was sent on a secret mission to change the fate of the world - Betrayed and left for dead now you are the only one who can lead the factions and defeat the ones who left you for dead.

Fuck Off Lol.

- Factions are used just as extensively in Fallout 4. It ultimately boils down to the same quests with the same depth. You go too far in one faction, your excommunicated from the others. It really isn't that fucking amazing of a feature. We get the same shit factions in every Bethesda game.
It's like saying all RPGs have combat that gives you loot and experience, ergo all combat is the same. If you don't see the difference between Bethesda's faction design and PB's faction design, then you're willfully blind and this conversation is pointless.

No it's not. You haven't illustrated a single thing these factions do for gameplay / story that you can't say for Fallout 4.

- They give unique quests with Spare or Die Options
- They have unique rules and laws that drive the story for their Spare or Die Quests
- Choosing one Faction juxtaposes you to the other 2

K? And? What else? Dazzle me if it's so obvious.

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

Since you're thinking about stopping climbing stuff, I'll just say that there is one of the most useful utility armour pieces on top of one of the tallest structures in the game. Which one? Nobody knows!
Happy climbing, heh.
Is that the same utility piece which is sold by almost every wandering trader and most faction traders?

PrettyDeadman

What are you in ELEX?
Commander Shepard Jax.
The most powerful of the notorious Elixators - highest commanding officers of the Albs. Sent on a super secret mission which was supposed to change the world.
Not a big deal at all.

bataille

Arcane
Happy climbing, heh.
Is that the same utility piece which is sold by almost every wandering trader and most faction traders?

Do the traders sell the same modification as Alrik? No, if so, because the found variant of that item shows tech instead of life.

PrettyDeadman

Happy climbing, heh.

Do the traders sell the same modification as Alrik? No, if so, because the found variant of that item shows tech instead of life.
I meant sunglesses.

bataille

Arcane
Happy climbing, heh.

I meant sunglesses.

Me too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom