Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I tell you to go jump off a cliff. Will you do it?
Depends, do I get a jetpack? Because if so, fuck yeah.

are you one of those people who use a charisma-based build
I pumped a lot of initial points into Cunning, yeah, because the game presented that as a viable option with no indication that you'd furiously assfuck yourself by doing so, and then offered a ton of skill-locked dialogue options that you couldn't possibly meet at that time unless you avoid engaging in those conversations on purpose.

Again, the design is shit. It's like they actually didn't have anyone testing it other than themselves - themselves knowing all the ins and outs of the system and the perfect quest order and point distribution, but none of this is indicated or conveyed to the player. The game has the worst kind of hand-holding, such as quest compasses, auto-aiming, auto-lock, while also withholding any tools the player should be able to use to reach their own conclusions and resolve issues, such as the lack of a minimap, no explanation on what anything actually does, the worst journal system I've seen in well over a decade, etc.

Add to that a janky-as-fuck movement and controls and a small mountain of bugs (yay, I love to have to de-equip and re-equip my bow after accidentally doing a sudden roll into a hill because suddenly I don't have an arrow notched anymore and it can't re-notch it, or how you always start walking forward for a split second when you stop aiming, even though you're walking backwards the whole time, or how it almost never starts aiming in the direction you're looking, or how enemies clip through shit, or get stuck in world geometry, etc).

This game could've used another year in development, some testing by someone other than the developer team itself, and a single person capable of designing a UI that isn't completely fucked.

And someone that plays on something other than a controller. You can't even exit out of most stuff with Escape, and binds are all over the fucking place for no sensible reason. RMB is cancel? Dodging by double-clicking? Who the fuck was retarded enough to think this was a good idea?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Alas, the old guard simply can't convince those young'uns with their high expectations of combat and not-jank to accept this newest 'step in the right direction'.

So the old guard stands for shitty gameplay and an all around mediocre experience? Then I'll gladly stand up for these young'uns and their high expectations.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Random bits:

- One-hand + Shield build is broken because on upgrade One-hand requires STR + DEX/CON while the Shield requires STR + CON. Basically if you skilled STR + DEX then you will not be able to use an ungraded shield. Bummer.

You can't not put any stats in CON. You need CON to wear armor.

Grimlorn

Arcane
then offered a ton of skill-locked dialogue options that you couldn't possibly meet at that time unless you avoid engaging in those conversations on purpose.
The personality skills that increase combat, survival, charisma, etc all add +10 to each of those values. I haven't proceeded into the story that far but haven't really see a convo option that was higher than around 5-7.

I can't remember the stat requirements off hand but I think they are low, so you could have a +10 in all the categories early on.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I pumped a lot of initial points into Cunning, yeah

Every. Single. Time.

because the game presented that as a viable option with no indication that you'd furiously assfuck yourself by doing so

If you played any other PB game before, you'd know this to be a very unwise choice.

and then offered a ton of skill-locked dialogue options that you couldn't possibly meet at that time unless you avoid engaging in those conversations on purpose.

The idea is you don't have to start the game by beelining to Goliet. So you can just as well get those skill-locked dialogues after 20 hours.

The game has the worst kind of hand-holding

orly

such as quest compasses,

Can and should be disabled.

auto-aiming

auto-lock

while also withholding any tools the player should be able to use to reach their own conclusions and resolve issues, such as the lack of a minimap,

isnt a minimap a kind of handholding

make up your mind son

also you need a minimap to reach your own conclusions and resolve issues? wut?

the worst journal system I've seen in well over a decade

p sure you said the same thing about dos2, so that's a lot of worst journal systems in over a decade

also what exactly is so bad about it, an inquiring mind wants to know

I love to have to de-equip and re-equip my bow after accidentally doing a sudden roll into a hill because suddenly I don't have an arrow notched anymore and it can't re-notch it

Press R to reload manually. Muh bugs!!!

And to come back to this:

I pumped a lot of initial points into Cunning, yeah, because the game presented that as a viable option with no indication that you'd furiously assfuck yourself by doing so,

I'll just quote my good friend Steve.

RK47: It's okay stay in town
RK47: Be cunning
RK47: Pickpocket
RK47: Lure baddies to town
RK47: Work with local jew
RK47: Steal shit and make shards
RK47: Afford elex be powerful

Again, the design is shit.

And so is your face.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Man what total fucking retarded idiots to think that there aren't stats that are completely useless how could they not guess without any knowledge that there would be

Tygrende

Arbiter
What's that,90% of them? Tell me when did Gothic 1 or 2 ever used this system,even if you were a little shit you could still damage humanoids and shadow beasts just fine,but you were insta gibbed if you ever got hit.
The fuck am I reading, have you even played Gothic?

In G1 high damage threshold could drop damage all the way to 0. NPCs wearing armors such as heavy guard's were practically invincible until your damage was high enough.

In G2 this was changed, the minimal amount of damage was set to 5 instead of 0. For reference it would take exactly 128 hits to defeat one of the paladins in the port district since they have 640 HP.

PrettyDeadman

Not only charisma build is viable, it's the only right way to play the game on highest difficulty.
You are not supposed to attack enemies yourself before level ~15 (you should either run, pull monsters to powerful npcs or let your companion do all the work), so putting any points into damage is a complete waste.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Man what total fucking retarded idiots to think that there aren't stats that are completely useless how could they not guess without any knowledge that there would be

#1 starting objective of every Piranha Bytes game has always been: "get better weapon to kill stuff, get better armour to avoid getting killed by stuff".

If you start Gothic 1 by splurging all your learning points on getting fucking animal trophies and acrobatics before you raise strength, I will call you a cretin. The same applies to this game and charisma.

As for "without any knowledge" - look at the skill trees and see what you can get by raising charisma in lieu of all else. If that's not enough of a hint, I don't know what is.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

#1 starting objective of every Piranha Bytes game has always been: "get better weapon to kill stuff, get better armour to avoid getting killed by stuff".

If you start Gothic 1 by splurging all your learning points on getting fucking animal trophies and acrobatics before you raise strength, I will call you a cretin. The same applies to this game and charisma.

Why? How are you supposed to know if you never played these games before? Why do those stats exist then?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
the attributes are mostly or completely non functional. other than gating equipment, they do nothing.
You have to decide - they do nothing, or they actually allow you to use stronger weapon and armor?

we also have the quest compass, which we also love here since skyrim i believe. you can turn it off... if you don't wanna do the quests. the game will not bother to give any directions and there are no street signs.
You are right.

Just going where the game tells me to go, brah.
Funnily enough, there is a quest in Berserker town, when if you do what you have been told to do - you are punished.
But that's just not for you right?

all add +10 to

:o :yeah:

10? Oh shit, I though it was +1............................ It's a fucking musthave.

Last edited:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
What's that,90% of them? Tell me when did Gothic 1 or 2 ever used this system,even if you were a little shit you could still damage humanoids and shadow beasts just fine,but you were insta gibbed if you ever got hit.
The fuck am I reading, have you even played Gothic?

In G1 high damage threshold could drop damage all the way to 0. NPCs wearing armors such as heavy guard's were practically invincible until your damage was high enough.

In G2 this was changed, the minimal amount of damage was set to 5 instead of 0. For reference it would take exactly 128 hits to defeat one of the paladins in the port district since they have 640 HP.

I'm not talking about defeating the paladins or the guards,that would be stupid in any game,i'm talking about bandits,goblins,scavangers and other monsters that were in the beginnig area and you could clearly outplay them.In Elex as soon as you get out of Eden you immediately find Mechs,Trolls,Reavers,Mutants,Florlons and other bloated monsters that their placement make no sense whatsoever.What's the reason behind this kind of progression,it makes no sense to put so many level gated monsters in the beginning area because it forces players to grind and avoid almost all encounters.In Gothic series,monsters were well placed and you would still feel significant enough to not run from every counter like a little girl.Maybe you folks need to replay Gothic,because I already finished Gothic 2 last month and this game has nothing on it,not writing,not gameplay,not world-building,absolutely nothing.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
It was pretty obvious to me that the stats were mostly a gating mechanism for skills. That realisation was about 5 seconds after browsing the skills. So i just raised those attributes that got me access to skills i wanted.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
instead of going to khorinis from Lobart's farm, follow the left wall - get murdered by snappers

ok lets try that wilderness in front of the wall instead - oops, shadowbeast

ok ok lets evade the shadowbeast - fuck, black goblins

leave khorinis through the other gate and go to the wilderness on the right - get murdered by wargs

oh and there's a shadowbeast there as well

go forward instead into those caves by the mountainside - get murdered by an ork

follow the road left to the lighthouse - get turned into pincushion by bandits

geeeeee wots it with all these pumped up enemies next to the starting area are the developers mad??????????

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

Exactly, and this game told you this STRAIGHT from the start.
Don't know what kind of player someone should be to not understand and completely ignore this.

Tygrende

Arbiter
In Elex you as soon as you get out of Eden you immediately find Mechs,Trolls,Reavers,Mutants,Florlons and other bloated monsters that their placement make no sense whatsoever.
In G2 you find an orc scout near one of the town gates, there's also a small herd of snappers and a shadowbeast around there. You can even hear the snappers on the other side of the wall when inside the town.

There's an orc warrior in a cave right next to the other town gate.

The lighthouse is very close to the town and yet the 3 bandits guarding it will beat the shit out of you early in the game, most likely 1 or 2-shot you with their bows before you even get close.

Maybe you folks need to replay Gothic,because I already finished Gothic 2 last month
Your memory must be really bad then.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
instead of going to khorinis from Lobart's farm, follow the left wall - get murdered by snappers

leave khorinis through the other gate and go to the wilderness on the right - get murdered by wargs

go forward instead into those caves by the mountainside - get murdered by an ork

geeeeee wots it with all these pumped up enemies next to the starting area are the developers mad??????????

They were well placed you moron and you could easly kite some of them by abusing the environment,here you have high level monsters placed on every inch of the map and no amount of kiting is going to kill any of them,you can't fart in one direction without finding some of the toughest sons of bitches in the game and you tell me that's good design,that's mmo quality 101 design.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Not sure if posted before but: PRO ELEX TIP:
You can skip the lockpicking minigame if you hit escape after the window opens.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
They were well placed you moron and you could easly kite some of them by abusing the environment

you have a jetpack

read my lips

you

have

a

jetpack

also: "by abusing the environment", nigga just eject yourself from this thread

Jarmaro

Liturgist

Bandits localization may be called unfortunate, but in city Jack tells you it's held by bandits, so it would be stupid for you to go there on start. Didn't they also warn you themselves to not approach them?
For the other dangereous places... Their look is designed the way it shows you you shouldn't the fuck go there.
Every person with barely functioning brain will understand dark forests are dangereous just by looking at it, especially when everyone are telling you to avoid them.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom