Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Again, clerics use Psi. :autism:
But I meant it primarily for Berserkers, their magic does not scale into the late game too well and feels pretty unfun to use.

WTF, never play magic/ranged in PB games, everybody knows this. Go melee for the full PB experience.

As far as factions, they are all fun in their own demented way. Militant hippies, drugged up criminals, or religious technologsts? You decide...

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
That's why Berserkers are best. They are melee and magic primarily, with archery on the side.

T. Reich

Arcane
"Magic", "flamethrower"... Semantics!

i-f6ce2cac1f35bf8bc9f325925f939164-girlgenius.png

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That's why Berserkers are best. They are melee and magic primarily, with archery on the side.

I find Cleric application of PSI in melee much more interesting then Berserkers'. Berks mostly get the huge melee damage buff... and that's it?

Doktor Best

Arcane
Not that Kai Rosenkranz is working on it, that Bjorn said that PB was working on it. Although, I wouldn't lose out hope either as Kai is clearly still friendly with PB and as he is a freelancer at the moment, mostly working for German/European games he might work with PB again too.

Kai Rosenkranz joining PB again for a proper Gothic 5 soundtrack would be the best thing in the history of things, maybe ever.

:desu:

Old One

Arcane
I would definitely say PB did a good job making each of the factions equally appealing and unappealing on a dogma level. I don't know for sure whether or not that's a good thing, but they pulled it off.

cruel

Cipher
I must say this game is pretty special. 100h in, joined the faction after 96h, and I there are still parts of the world that feel dangerous. I reached a point when I can take on a Troll without big issues (Fire Warhammer II ftw), but 3x Chimeras or getting on the followers in Tavar - no chance. What's surprising here is how EASY it is to accomplish something like that in a game - just don't give a player a way to mitigate 90% of the damage the opponent does. Initially I was angry at how quickly the main character dies, but in time I understand that this was intended - pretty remarkable feat to keep the world feel dangerous after such a long time.

I see two skills in Berserker tree that feel OP (leatherskin & aspect of the warrrior), but because of low Cunning I'm still far from getting them. Guessing this will be the breaking point of game becoming easy.

And, one more thing. Fuck all the game critics, seriously. I almost missed this game because of crappy reviews.

Old One

Arcane
The inventory system gets a bit cumbersome when you're trying to keep all the notes straight.

Also, I wish the key you use to pick up items wasn't the same key you use to sleep or sit in a chair. It's annoying.

Other than that, no super-major criticisms so far.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Using M1 for everything is something that just is how it is in PB games, and has been the case since their first game. I doubt it will ever change and I never saw much issue with it.

cruel

Cipher
I just got my first crash in the game - after 109h. Pretty good for a game labelled as buggy.

But probably playing this 1yr after release helps a lot.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Pulled the trigger the other day and finally bought it. Game is addicting as hell, played pretty much all day yesterday and have barely gotten any sleep.
Mouse and Keyboard controls made me want to kill myself, I actually went down to walmart and bought a cable to connect my controller, smooth sailing since.

Shame i've soiled this playthrough by falling for the ranged combat meme, my 60 DEX worth jack shit because I stupidly assumed the damage increase was tied to that number and the +10% damage perks were just an additional boost. The game starting in loser viking land didn't help either as I was shackled to that awful bow until I reached Hort.
When I get around to playthrough 2 i'm going to be a big dick swingin' two handed warrior to wash the taste of failure and embarrassment out of my mouth.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
An exaggeration, of course.
Controller just relieved some annoyances with movement, menu surfing, and the like.

I'm real spastic with movement so you could see how the double tap to roll thing would be an issue when I need to time dodges while kiting enemies or when i'm platforming up a hill on those small ledges.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
What you need to understand about PB - and what they always fail to tell you in the tutorial or manual - is that you aren't supposed to use the mouse. I mean, you can, but the less you use it, the better the control scheme works. This is especially true in Gothic and Risen where your satisfaction with the controls will improve drastically as soon as you force yourself to not use the mouse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom